PDA

View Full Version : Dranginis & Melson combined

Goshzagit
12-12-2015, 09:09 PM
1-30 FG in last 30 attempts the last 3 games.

They have also attempted the final shot of the last couple losses.

Makes sense.

Not.

23dpg
12-12-2015, 09:10 PM
That is amazing.

ZagLawGrad
Ugly

GUfan34
I miss Meech, Coleman, and PMAC lol

krozman
12-12-2015, 09:11 PM
all guards a combined 9 for 33. And that's with an improved Emac.

kitzbuel
12-12-2015, 09:12 PM

Makes sense.

Not.
Defenders are gonna leave them open until they start hitting something.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

katman50
12-12-2015, 09:12 PM
The coaches have a lot of work to do, hopefully instilling something postive in these guys.Knucklehead play.

MBZags
12-12-2015, 09:14 PM
I'm most alarmed by Melson. You can tell he's playing mind games with himself. Just horrible shot selection.

Ezag
12-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Bol Kong where are you?

23dpg
12-12-2015, 09:16 PM

Makes sense.

Not.

"That's not so bad" says Kobe.

Ezag
12-12-2015, 09:17 PM
Well at least we're almost laughing about this and not pissed anymore....

btzag
The coaches have a lot of work to do, hopefully instilling something postive in these guys.Knucklehead play.

Few is not a confidence builder and that is what worries me the most.

Anyone notice when Melson got a highly questionable offensive foul call right in front of Few, Few decides not to back his player and ride the ref but turns to his bench and yanks Melson for the rest of the game?

I support Few almost 100% but lost a little respect for him at that moment. Not the way to back your kids. Coach K or Izzo would have been ALL over that ref.

SteelZag
"That's not so bad" says Kobe.

:roll:

zagfan24
12-12-2015, 09:18 PM
Drive and a) shoot layups, b) make a drop off pass to Sabonis, or c) kick to Wiltjer

Wiltjer really the only player with any business taking more than 1 3-pt shot per game at this point. 6-26 is a killer.

mnzag24
12-12-2015, 09:18 PM
All our guards are timid. There is no rhythm to their outside shots. Perkins can attack, but he also hesitates when it comes to pulling the trigger from 3. Until that changes, it's going to be the same result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23dpg
12-12-2015, 09:19 PM
All our guards are timid. There is no rhythm to their outside shots. Perkins can attack, but he also hesitates when it comes to pulling the trigger from 3. Until that changes, it's going to be the same result.

They're timid cause they can't make them. We shot a ton of threes tonight.

katman50
12-12-2015, 09:20 PM
Well at least we're almost laughing about this and not pissed anymore....

Too true. I guess I have reached the indifference thresh hold, which isn't good. For some reason, I am not as angry as I should be. The Arizona game prepared me for what was to come.

SteelZag
12-12-2015, 09:21 PM

Yep.

scott257
12-12-2015, 09:22 PM

Anyone notice when Melson got a highly questionable offensive foul call right in front of Few, Few decides not to back his player and ride the ref but turns to his bench and yanks Melson for the rest of the game?

I support Few almost 100% but lost a little respect for him at that moment. Not the way to back your kids. Coach K or Izzo would have been ALL over that ref.

That was a highly questionable call to you perhaps and Melson for sure but not to me, and probably not to the coach. These guys have to move on after a foul call and quit whining. Maybe that is the message the coach is trying to communicate.

Ezag
12-12-2015, 09:24 PM
They both need to be benched in favor of anyone else

btzag
12-12-2015, 09:33 PM
That was a highly questionable call to you perhaps and Melson for sure but not to me, and probably not to the coach. These guys have to move on after a foul call and quit whining. Maybe that is the message the coach is trying to communicate.

Nope you are wrong scott. I Dvr'd the game and replayed that over and over again. Melson was going diagonal, the defender was not close to being set and it was a completely terrible call. Melson even turns to Few, looks him in the eye, and Few literally turns away to the bench and calls in Melson's replacement. Explain to me how that instills confidence in a player that is seriously struggling with confidence? Is that going to build him up and get him out of his funk? If he's looking to break kids down to communicate a message he better get ready for a lot of losses. My problem personally is that it was a terrible call and he did not fight for his team. Watch ANY great coach and he will fight and work the refs even to get ONE single call later in the game. Few just backed off and benched his kid.

GUfan34
12-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Maybe Few will have his back when he proves he can make a single damn shot

jpn17
12-12-2015, 09:46 PM
I'm most alarmed by Melson. You can tell he's playing mind games with himself. Just horrible shot selection.

It's not just horrible shot selection though. Melson missed two threes tonight where no one was within 10 feet of him. He just has zero confidence right now. None of the guards have confidence. Well maybe tonight is the game that gets McClellan on track, we will see.

GUfan34
12-12-2015, 09:56 PM
I'm trying to remember seeing a sophomore guard struggle this much and end up having a good 4 year career here at GU...I kno some will say I'm making an early assumption and I guess I am, but I don't see any scenario where Melson stays at GU.. He's too far gone. He's almost 1/2 way done with his second season and he still can't find it...

Birddog
12-12-2015, 09:58 PM
Dranginis and Melson both have their flaws but Dranginis has more glue. Melson is lost out there it seems.

strikenowhere
12-12-2015, 10:01 PM
They both need to be benched in favor of anyone else

Who the heck would that be? Triano? Alberts? Bakamus? The water boy? Spike?

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-12-2015, 10:01 PM
Too true. I guess I have reached the indifference thresh hold, which isn't good. For some reason, I am not as angry as I should be. The Arizona game prepared me for what was to come.

Exactly. I am not upset tonight....just middle of the road level disappointment. Pretty clear this team will need the full regular season to improve and hopefully get Karno back at 100%. It's all going to boil down to winning WCC tourney to get into tourney as I expect 3-4 WCC losses and a beat down @ SMU unless we see very rapid improvement.
McClellan gave me a glimmer of hope tonight but KD and Melson tip the scales toward pessimism

VinnyZag
12-12-2015, 10:19 PM
This will get better. Dranginis and Melson aren't better shooters than we've seen. They're too good, in fact, to be missing this many shots.

It's in their heads right now, but they'll come around. I believe that.

Ezag
12-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Who the heck would that be? Triano? Alberts? Bakamus? The water boy? Spike?

I'll go with Spike at this point, yea

VinnyZag
12-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Dranginis is shooting 34 percent this year. He's never shot less than 46 percent from the floor at Gonzaga previously. He's at 31 percent from three, versus 34 last year and 39 his sophomore year.

Melson is shooting 32% from the floor and 26% from three, versus 42/34 last year.

They are better shooters than they've shown so far. This is anomalous. It will improve.

hooter73
12-12-2015, 10:33 PM
I miss Meech, Coleman, and PMAC lol

LMAFO nice... :)

GUfan34
12-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Dranginis is shooting 34 percent this year. He's never shot less than 46 percent from the floor at Gonzaga previously. He's at 31 percent from three, versus 34 last year and 39 his sophomore year.

Melson is shooting 32% from the floor and 26% from three, versus 42/34 last year.

They are better shooters than they've shown so far. This is anomalous. It will improve.

The question is though, will those percentages always translate? The more shots you take, the bigger your role, the greater the chances are that those percentages drop. Dranginis really only ever had to shoot when he was wide open. Now, that's not good enough and we're seeing him struggle.

I wouldn't bet my house on either of them finding too much success from the perimeter

MDABE80
12-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Dranginis and Melson both have their flaws but Dranginis has more glue. Melson is lost out there it seems.

And he plays good defense.. Kyle D is a good player overall. He hits the boards hard. Just not shooting well. Head scratcher to me. He save us 10 pts nightly by playing defense. He did tonight. So to summarize, we're weak out front by limited experience and weak underneath by injury. Emac, KD and Josh are the best bets. Alberts did look decent tonight .
It's a lot more than guards we should be worrying about. Edwards need to develop quickly. I know many will laugh but their development will come with WCC ........not so difficult, slwer and while not the greatest teams, a slower pace to learn the offense and yet play hard will help us. 3 losses..no terrible ones. just losses.

doctorzag
12-12-2015, 11:31 PM

Dranginis can pass ,rebound and defend. Whats Melson doing in there.

zag buddy
12-12-2015, 11:55 PM
Perkins has about 14 games under his belt and Silis about 15. They both shoot in the 25% range from three point land. i do not expect any change after so many games.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-13-2015, 06:27 AM

I'll take your word for it that the call was questionable and thus disappointing if Few did not "back his player" in that instance; however, I suspect it may be the cumulative effect of Melson not "backing his coach" by running the offense, making sound decisions and to stop moping when he misses a shot or does not get a foul call going his way.

I suspect the coaches are giving Melson lots of feedback on how to improve and what this team needs from him, but under the lights he is simply not following through with it...and I don't mean just missing shots. Melson needs to back his coach more than Few needs to back him, imho.

It's totally mental at this point, and I cannot help but wonder if Melson is feeling additional pressure from pending competition for PT from NWG and Zach Norvell.

bartruff1
12-13-2015, 07:13 AM

+ 1......IMO the last thing a whining player needs is a whining coach.....like the last thing a whining kid needs is a whining parent....I know how my dad would react....man up !!

There are way to many whining players and fans....

Stache
12-13-2015, 07:52 AM
KW - the rotation of his ball looks different to me. The last 3 just did not have the backward rotation I remember from last year. It's ilke he is aiming the shot rather than letting the mechanics flow with balance, good legs and a wrist snap. His shot looks overly thought out and he is targeting the basket. He is passing up good looks, but this board would be all over him if he were launching 6-8 shots a game and making 1 of them.

SM - I love Silas' athletic ability and he was a pure scorer in high school. That doesn't just go away. Mech, Pmac, and a few others were pure athletes but they didn't have a history of being "scorers." Silas was a scorer. As Pangos said - Shooters shoot when hot and shoot to get hot. My concern with Silas last night was not when he got pulled after the foul, it was Few's reaction to the misses. It is so hard to coach, put the kids in the position to succeed, and watch them miss repeatedly, but a kid who is struggling with confidence doesn't need the coach adding to the pressure with body language. He got into Silas pretty good at one substitution but obviously I don't know if it was encouragement, a problem on defense or agitation at missing open jumpers. It would be one thing if we had a cast of shooters who sat behind Silas who could come take over for him. We don't. We need Silas and he will find his stroke and mojo. soon....I hope

EMac - He played great. He hit some threes. His drives and scores brought GU back swhen UCLA looked ready to extend a small lead, and his defense was spectacular. At the MAC you can watch anyone you want rather than follow action that the cameras force you to watch on TV. He worked his b*** off on Alford. He provided help defense. He collapsed to the post and was fast enough to close out. He was as impressive as Gary Bell and his length created even more havoc. I thought it was his break-through game.

Finally - it will be nice to get the feeling of the shot falling through the net on Monday. The simple "feeling" of the ball coming off the fingers, rotating with nice backspin and developing the trust in your shot that it can just drop through is something that can return with 2-3 shots. Assuming the mechanics are there, good shooting is trust in the feeling of the ball at release. The "zone" makes it feel like the ball is lighter than normal, the shooting motion is subconscious, and the rim looks bigger and easy to find. Gym time and Lesser competition will help supply some open looks and some opportunity to get a game time feel back for some of our shooters.

VinnyZag
12-13-2015, 08:52 AM
I agree with everything Stache just said.

I think at one point in the first half, Few pulled Melson because he DIDN'T take a shot. The one where he passed up an open 3, passed up an open 12-footer off the dribble, then threw the ball at Edwards' feet. Melson'confidence is just shot right now. It'll come back once he makes some buckets.

raise the zag
12-13-2015, 08:57 AM
I agree with everything Stache just said.

I think at one point in the first half, Few pulled Melson because he DIDN'T take a shot. The one where he passed up an open 3, passed up an open 12-footer off the dribble, then threw the ball at Edwards' feet. Melson'confidence is just shot right now. It'll come back once he makes some buckets.

Melson will be fine.

He is a solid shooter, when he shoots like he practices.

Coach Few and Coach Lloyd both stated they were having trouble coaching Silas into shooting shots as he practices them or with constancy i.e. get feet set, body facing basket, etc.

He receives PT b/c of his attributes, defense, and shooting. He's a good shooter by all accounts outside games and in warm-ups.

However, his fundamentals go to crap in the lights. Silas rarely takes a regular jumper, its usually off one-foot, fade-aways, rushing forward, off balance, etc. His 3pt shots are rushed.

Silas showed he can hit shots they aren't falling because his form is not his form.

His practice self needs to find his game self.