PDA

View Full Version : UCLA Post Game Thoughts

krozman
12-12-2015, 08:08 PM
We saw a lot of the same guard play that was haphazard at best, but some signs of progression from Emac, both offensively and defensively. Final play of the game though..... does anyone think that KW shooting a contested shot is better than KD taking a circus shot? I dunno, but KW needs to recognize the moment and take the shot IMO. Overall it's basically what we thought it was going to be, and I hope we learn from it.

GUfan34
12-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Circus shot?

Dranginis had a wide open look from the top of the key. Wiltjer had no chance to make that shot...

btzag
12-12-2015, 08:13 PM
Circus shot?

Dranginis had a wide open look from the top of the key. Wiltjer had no chance to make that shot...

It was not a circus shot but by percentages a Wiltjer contested shot absolutely has a better chance of going in than any shot by another member of the team.

GUfan34
12-12-2015, 08:14 PM
It was not a circus shot but by percentages a Wiltjer contested shot absolutely has a better chance of going in than any shot by another member of the team.

Eh. I get what you're saying, but it was the right play.

Goshzagit
12-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Is Domas injured?

Wasn't really the same player in 2nd half.

He seemed to be holding his leg/groin area.

Played through it obviously, yet seemed to be nursing it during jumping & rebounds.

Stay tuned...

scott257
12-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Emac looked really good tonight. Made some turnovers in the first half but it seemed like the game slowed down for him on offense in the second half. Say what you will, but his defense is nothing short of amazing.

75Zag
12-12-2015, 08:16 PM
Difficult loss. I don't think many of us fully appreciated how bad our guards are until tonight. No guards + no Karno = a very long season.

Go Bulldogs!

Ezag
12-12-2015, 08:22 PM
Difficult loss. I don't think many of us fully appreciated how bad our guards are until tonight. No guards + no Karno = a very long season.

Go Bulldogs!

Ain't that the truth!

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
12-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Injuries are such a big part of the game. One of the reasons I felt so desperate to get to the Final4 last year was we stayed healthy and I thought we had the experience in the back court to get there. As it turned out Pangos and Bell really had bad games against Duke and we fell just short. I was so devastated after that loss I couldn't eat for 24 hours. It was like my dream was GONE. We have very young guards this year. Lets just relax and enjoy the season without any great expectations. Zags will easily make the tournament. Championships can be won with a 7 seed so relax.

john montana
12-12-2015, 08:29 PM
Reality is setting in a bit for me. No PK, no two guard, spotty point guard play on the offensive end...rough. Defense is good, but we have no offensive rhythm. We need a lot of growth in a hurry.

scott257
12-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Injuries are such a big part of the game. One of the reasons I felt so desperate to get to the Final4 last year was we stayed healthy and I thought we had the experience in the back court to get there. As it turned out Pangos and Bell really had bad games against Duke and we fell just short. I was so devastated after that loss I couldn't eat for 24 hours. It was like my dream was GONE. We have very young guards this year. Lets just relax and enjoy the season without any great expectations. Zags will easily make the tournament. Championships can be won with a 7 seed so relax.

Amen

Zags11
12-12-2015, 08:32 PM
Guards will grow up. These losses suck but pain heals all and growth and success are from failure.

MDABE80
12-12-2015, 08:35 PM
WCC play will help mature the youngins'. We played hard tonight. Skills get better over time. We'll be there in the end. Karno though.......big big loss. Edwards better wor k hard and mature too.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
12-12-2015, 08:35 PM
Reality is setting in a bit for me. No PK, no two guard, spotty point guard play on the offensive end...rough. Defense is good, but we have no offensive rhythm. We need a lot of growth in a hurry.

It is still very early. Maybe this is the year where we drop out of the rankings and then hit our stride in March. Rankings mean nothing in December. That is sometimes tough for fans who live and die with rankings and being a media darling. It is almost refreshing to be in this spot. Some programs LIVE FOR MARCH not the regular season. You make good points though.

Zag_Dad
12-12-2015, 08:43 PM
We have been so spoiled for a decade and a half. We take for granted consistent stable/solid play by the guards. This year hasn't been the same. The Karnowski injury has magnified the issues at guard position. However, I feel like the guards need the opportunity to grow and learn that they gave a lot to prove. This is not high school and nothing is going to be handed to anyone. There is still time for all of them to leave their mark as a typical "gonzaga" guardS.

I see them improving and feel like it will really show when Karnowski is back. Keeping my fingers crossed fat he is healthy by the time we start conference play. The possibility to run the table in conference still exists.

GO ZAGS

ZagsObserver
12-12-2015, 08:44 PM
Emac looked really good tonight. Made some turnovers in the first half but it seemed like the game slowed down for him on offense in the second half. Say what you will, but his defense is nothing short of amazing.

He absolutely doesn't make those around him better. That's a problem. He has more turnovers than assists. That's a problem. Those guarding him collapse and clog the lanes because has zero perimeter game. That's a problem. It was the same story with Meech and precisely why a green Stockton got the nod over him.

That being said, he just may be the best option. I would give Alberts the opportunity to win the job.

Reborn
12-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Gonzaga 66
UCLA 71

This is a special Gonzaga University team, as I'm sure they're the first Mark Few coached team to lose two games in the Kennel. I thought that the Zags fought much harder than they did against Arizona, and for that I give them kudos. Tough to win when you have guards who can not shoot from the outside, and honestly for me it makes the game pretty boring. I have no confidence in our guards right now because they don't have any. They shot 2-16 for 12%. As a team they were 6-26 for about 23%. For the night the Zags shot 41% from the field. Melson shot 0-4 from the 3pt line and Dranginis 0-5. I would say that's pretty bad. Dranginis did manage to make one layup, but as we all saw he missed a more important in the final couple minutes at the end of the game. He also missed a wide open 3 as he took the final shot.

Gonzaga is also losing to really good teams; so I'm okay with that. They are good learning experiences. The other important thing is that it's early in the season. And Finally, Karnowski is out. Let's just hope that he will be able to play this season. Karnowski definitely could have made it tough for Parker, whereas Sabonis was a pushover.

I thought it was a really good game, however the Zags just do not have the confidence yet to win games like that. I still believe that there's plenty of time; so honestly, I'm not hitting the panic button. I loves the fight in the dog.

Go Zags!!!

thespywhozaggedme
12-12-2015, 08:51 PM
After these past few games and watching the guardssplay I've definitely readjusting my expectations

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-12-2015, 08:52 PM
This team did something that they didn't do against Arizona - they fought back late in the game while they were behind. The loss stings, but they are a little bit better than they were a week ago.

Reborn
12-12-2015, 08:58 PM
This team did something that they didn't do against Arizona - they fought back late in the game while they were behind. The loss stings, but they are a little bit better than they were a week ago.

agree

Birddog
12-12-2015, 09:10 PM
They weren't outcoached, just outplayed.

Hoopaholic
12-12-2015, 09:14 PM
They weren't outcoached, just outplayed.

I don't think either

Bruins simply made 3 more shots than us

Birddog
12-12-2015, 09:18 PM
I don't think either

Like I said!

23dpg
12-12-2015, 09:21 PM
After these past few games and watching the guardssplay I've definitely readjusting my expectations

I think I had lower expectations than most on here. (Lots of 2 loss predictions for the season). But I am also lowering my expectations.
I am worried about making the tourney this year.
I will still watch every minute of every game.

Zag79
12-13-2015, 03:52 AM
I don't think either

They made 1 more three, on 10 less shots. That's the problem, far too many shots from behind the arc when you're shooting that low of a clip. Go inside, drive, force feed Wilt and Sabonis lower in the paint. To me that's coaching, especially at the college level with a young backcourt. Outplayed and outcoached, the stats and eye test tell me it was both. And again, that's no knock on Few. Tough job with what he has been given this season, Karno being out changed the whole year in an instant. It'll be be fun to see what the coaches and players do from here on out!

GUfan34
12-13-2015, 05:20 AM
They made 1 more three, on 10 less shots. That's the problem, far too many shots from behind the arc when you're shooting that low of a clip. Go inside, drive, force feed Wilt and Sabonis lower in the paint. To me that's coaching, especially at the college level with a young backcourt. Outplayed and outcoached, the stats and eye test tell me it was both. And again, that's no knock on Few. Tough job with what he has been given this season, Karno being out changed the whole year in an instant. It'll be be fun to see what the coaches and players do from here on out!

You simply can't just pound it inside every time. It's too easy to defend. UCLA just sent a double or even s triple team. Nothing our bigs can do at that point but kick it out and hope the guards make something happen.... But they can't.

It's all about the guards. I don't care how many AAs you have inside. Guards win and lose the game.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-13-2015, 05:55 AM
You simply can't just pound it inside every time. It's too easy to defend. UCLA just sent a double or even s triple team. Nothing our bigs can do at that point but kick it out and hope the guards make something happen.... But they can't.

It's all about the guards. I don't care how many AAs you have inside. Guards win and lose the game.

Spot on. Neither KW or Sabonis can create shots for themselves, especially when opposing guards can leave their man to 'dig down' and swipe at the ball. Zag guards need to make outside shots and finish at the rim (and free throw line) in order to open things up and give our bigs room to operate.

It is not a very complicated team to understand: Fewer turnovers, higher free throw percentage and better shooting from our guards = recipe for this season to trend upward assuming they keep up the excellent D (we learned tonight Sabonis cannot defend big bodies in the post too well...gotta shore that up too). Bench needs to develop and improve too (Edwards and Alberts).

Zagger
12-13-2015, 06:39 AM
Zag hustle was very nice to see. Best part of the game for me. Guard shooting - Yikes! Guess it can only get better! I don't recall a more challenging before conference schedule for the Zags than this season's. The team has a lot to work on and with Karnowski out it puts even more pressure on the guards. I'm liking what I'm seeing with Edwards though. I think he's got huge potential. I really like what I saw with EM2C last night. He's getting better. I feel our weakest link is the TOs by Perkins. If he can find the handle ..... Zags win out through the WCC Tourney.

DixieZag
12-13-2015, 06:44 AM
We lost to good teams b/c we happened to play good teams (not great - AZ was ranked near 20 and UCLA wasn't ranked, we were heavily favored in both) When we played Montona - a "Big Sky Good Team" we had our Portland State moment, it very nearly happened. Had we played SMC, BYU, Pepp, prolly SCU - they beat us at home tonight,

Sad truth, we need big changes or the 10 loss season loomes dead ahead.

BTW - This is a week where we really feel the burn of hving Pacific in the conference, taking up two more games that could be played against anyone, and requiring 2 games against a 250+ teams, just kills us, terrible terrible terrible.

demian
12-13-2015, 07:33 AM
Gonzaga 66
UCLA 71

This is a special Gonzaga University team, as I'm sure they're the first Mark Few coached team to lose two games in the Kennel. I thought that the Zags fought much harder than they did against Arizona, and for that I give them kudos. Tough to win when you have guards who can not shoot from the outside, and honestly for me it makes the game pretty boring. I have no confidence in our guards right now because they don't have any. They shot 2-16 for 12%. As a team they were 6-26 for about 23%. For the night the Zags shot 41% from the field. Melson shot 0-4 from the 3pt line and Dranginis 0-5. I would say that's pretty bad. Dranginis did manage to make one layup, but as we all saw he missed a more important in the final couple minutes at the end of the game. He also missed a wide open 3 as he took the final shot.

Gonzaga is also losing to really good teams; so I'm okay with that. They are good learning experiences. The other important thing is that it's early in the season. And Finally, Karnowski is out. Let's just hope that he will be able to play this season. Karnowski definitely could have made it tough for Parker, whereas Sabonis was a pushover.

I thought it was a really good game, however the Zags just do not have the confidence yet to win games like that. I still believe that there's plenty of time; so honestly, I'm not hitting the panic button. I loves the fight in the dog.

Go Zags!!!

I agree with you Reborn. I actually really like this team. I haven't really watched them much this year. The only games I have watched are the WSU and Arizona games and I think maybe one other worthless game near beginning of season but I didn't watch the games real close because I was busy with football coaching stuff. But I watched very intently last night for the first time all year and I LOVED THE HEART AND FIRE AND HUSTLE in this team. McClelan looked like best player on the floor in second half on BOTH offense and defense. Guy has a motor and plays hard. I like Perkins, he just cant shoot but he is ok just young still and not a good shooter but he is long and rebounds and passes well and is big and can score at the rim, shooting is an obvious deficiency. I thought the heart and desire form Sabonis was great he just isn't good enough on defense to handle Parker of UCLA. Alberts is nice and long and kinda broad looks like he is just filling a role tho on offense and he will be a contributor. Melson is not understanding that If you cant shoot then at least play with a HIGH MOTOR and fly around the court and be active and a pest. He will get it though because its obvious his rope is real short now so I believe that kid will figure it out and turn up the passion and effort. He can still play a huge role. I actually kind of like watching this team (at least based on last nights effort). I admit I haven't watched a lot of this team this season so my assesments based on last night may be WAY off base and inaccurate and I accept that. Go Zags

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2015, 07:34 AM
I think I had lower expectations than most on here. (Lots of 2 loss predictions for the season). But I am also lowering my expectations.
I am worried about making the tourney this year.
I will still watch every minute of every game.
Unfortunately I must have had really unrealistic expectations because after watching perk play last season before you got hurt I thought he was going to be a star. But now he seems to be playing very tentatively.

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2015, 07:36 AM
On a sidenote why did reborn start a second post game thread? Mods should merge them.

basketballzag
12-13-2015, 07:41 AM
We probably should start preparing the fans for a four to five losses in the WCC this year. I'm not sure this is a ncaa bound team right now.

Saxon_zag
12-13-2015, 07:46 AM
How many more games until Melson makes a field goal? 0 for his last 3 games

Birddog
12-13-2015, 07:48 AM
Here is the Boxscore, it's telling.
http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/gonmbb10.html

Didn't few say a couple weeks ago that they wanted the team to only attempt about 15 3's a game? Of course that was before Shem went down.

DixieZag
12-13-2015, 07:52 AM
We probably should start preparing the fans for a four to five losses in the WCC this year. I'm not sure this is a ncaa bound team right now.

Right now, assuming no changes, Karno doesn't come back, we lose 4-5 games in the WCC, first: that would be an amazing conferences season to get through with only those loses. We're so average, we struggle at home to beat Big Sky teams, we get SMC and BYU here? Yes, 4 or 5 is an amazing season and probably shares for title. Then, it all comes down to who is hot in Vegas. If we just lost our last OOC game (including Tenn/SMU) and we win conference regular season, that's likely an auto bid, nothing else will be.

How quickly injuries and reality change things. A month ago, we were talking about the nation's greatest frontcourt and a bigger backcourt and a protected 1-4 seed in Spokane. Now, we're talking about needing an auto bid just to play in March. But, right now, we're very lucky we don't have 5 losses, maybe even 6. Pitt, UCONN, Montana - all easily could have been pinned as losses.

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2015, 07:54 AM
Bump

Zagricultural
12-13-2015, 08:01 AM
I am trying to thing of something positive. The one thing I will say is that so many Gonzaga teams have been derailed by porous defense. Few's teams have always seemed to end up pretty good offensively, so if they get the offense clicking this team has the defense to back it up. Could be a butler type run in the NCAA's. ( Hey I am trying :)

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2015, 08:05 AM
I think I'm most disappointed in Drangs, as he's a senior. It seems like the guards are playing tentatively.
I am trying to thing of something positive. The one thing I will say is that so many Gonzaga teams have been derailed by porous defense. Few's teams have always seemed to end up pretty good offensively, so if they get the offense clicking this team has the defense to back it up. Could be a butler type run in the NCAA's. ( Hey I am trying :)

Zagceo
12-13-2015, 09:08 AM
I liked the quote by Parker.

“We could've played them in the park,” Tony Parker said. “We just wanted to play them. It didn't matter if it was on the schedule or not. We just wanted to play Gonzaga.”

Good to be wanted.

"What an environment," Bruins coach Steve Alford said. "This is a great environment."

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2015, 09:21 AM
bump

Reborn
12-13-2015, 09:26 AM
The sky is blue. The sun is out. It's warmer. The dark clouds have passed. I always feel better the day after a loss. Mark Few hasn't given up on his team and neither have I . This team does have the qualities and talent to be a champion. Sometimes it just takes time. Karnowski getting injured has really hurt the team overall, and they are now working through that, and learning to play without him. It hasn't been too bad when you try to look at it all in a positive way.

1. The season is still young.
2. Perkins and EMAC are getting better each week.
3. The turnovers are going down. We only had 12 against UCLA.
4. The defense is very good. I think maybe better than ever.
5. You just have to believe that sooner than later, the open shots from the outside are going to start falling. The %'s are in our favor.
6. Edwards looks good, and I think will be even better in the WCC.
7. Free Throw % is rising.

Things that need to get better.

1. Melson's and Dranginis's ability to score. If these two guys can average five points each the team will begin to look pretty good.

2. Perkin's outside shot. And I believe it will get better.
3. Perkin's foul shooting % and especially his foul shooting at the end of games.
4. Wiltjer still needs to find a way to score in the last two minutes of ball games. He needs to become a closer. I'm not sure if he can do this. We will see. Maybe he can get his confidence in the WCC because I don't see too many power forwards in the WCC who will be able to guard him.

realtydog
12-13-2015, 09:34 AM
all the people who are saying this is a 4 or 5 wcc lose season will have to eat those words.....such short memories of other seasons........we lost at home to a couple of tourney teams...both close games....... guess it's time to jump off a bridge

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2015, 09:36 AM
Why did you start a post game thread when there already was one?
The sky is blue. The sun is out. It's warmer. The dark clouds have passed. I always feel better the day after a loss. Mark Few hasn't given up on his team and neither have I . This team does have the qualities and talent to be a champion. Sometimes it just takes time. Karnowski getting injured has really hurt the team overall, and they are now working through that, and learning to play without him. It hasn't been too bad when you try to look at it all in a positive way.

1. The season is still young.
2. Perkins and EMAC are getting better each week.
3. The turnovers are going down. We only had 12 against UCLA.
4. The defense is very good. I think maybe better than ever.
5. You just have to believe that sooner than later, the open shots from the outside are going to start falling. The %'s are in our favor.
6. Edwards looks good, and I think will be even better in the WCC.
7. Free Throw % is rising.

Things that need to get better.

1. Melson's and Dranginis's ability to score. If these two guys can average five points each the team will begin to look pretty good.

2. Perkin's outside shot. And I believe it will get better.
3. Perkin's foul shooting % and especially his foul shooting at the end of games.
4. Wiltjer still needs to find a way to score in the last two minutes of ball games. He needs to become a closer. I'm not sure if he can do this. We will see. Maybe he can get his confidence in the WCC because I don't see too many power forwards in the WCC who will be able to guard him.

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Reborn, here it is. It was three threads below the one you started so you could t have missed it.

realtydog
12-13-2015, 10:02 AM

really.......feelings hurt?

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Why? I didn't start it. It was literally three threads beneath the one he started, yet he felt compelled to make one himself, I was just curious why?

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2015, 10:06 AM
It's right here realtydog; started a half hour before reb did by kroz.

Reborn
12-13-2015, 10:06 AM

I've posted this thread for at least three years after every game. Same with my prediction thread. I see no reason to change. I made a special effort to post this thread shortly after the game because I knew people would want to post after the game. I know there are a number of fans who do not like to post on my threads; so maybe its good to have two.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-13-2015, 10:08 AM

Big fan of Reborn and his posts but was wondering same thing.
A single post game thread is preferable.

Speaking of thread starting etiquette, I think the real reason for losing to UCLA was because there was no pregame beverage thread. ��

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2015, 10:11 AM
So someone beat you to it and instead of posting in that one, you were jealous and needed the attention for yourself? it's disrespectful to Krozman.
I've posted this thread for at least three years after every game. Same with my prediction thread. I see no reason to change. I made a special effort to post this thread shortly after the game because I knew people would want to post after the game. I know there are a number of fans who do not like to post on my threads; so maybe its good to have two.

willandi
12-13-2015, 11:12 AM
I think we should have a separate thread to b***h about who started what thread and why! It could be fun...and we could quit whining about the team.

demian
12-13-2015, 11:48 AM
AWESOME POST lol haha. Who gives a crap who started a post. Maybe the most pointless thing of the day!!!!!!!!!!!
I think we should have a separate thread to b***h about who started what thread and why! It could be fun...and we could quit whining about the team.

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2015, 12:03 PM
It's just a matter of respect for your fellow poster. Kroz started the post game thread, many people posted in it and then 45 minutes later, rb started one, instead of posting in the one that already existed. in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal, but it is a matter of respect and courtesy.
AWESOME POST lol haha. Who gives a crap who started a post. Maybe the most pointless thing of the day!!!!!!!!!!!

willandi
12-13-2015, 12:56 PM
It's just a matter of respect for your fellow poster. Kroz started the post game thread, many people posted in it and then 45 minutes later, rb started one, instead of posting in the one that already existed. in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal, but it is a matter of respect and courtesy.

If it was just a matter of respect...many of the things said here about other posters wouldn't be said.

DixieZag
12-13-2015, 01:21 PM
all the people who are saying this is a 4 or 5 wcc lose season will have to eat those words.....such short memories of other seasons........we lost at home to a couple of tourney teams...both close games....... guess it's time to jump off a bridge

We have given up big leads in every game we've been in except UCLA - where we let them start 10-2.

WSU had a shot to make it a one possession game.
Montana had a shot to go to OT
UCONN came back from 21 friggin points down!!! to barely win by 3 and the game was closer than the score.
Pitt looked to be the better team in the half we played, though of limited value.

I'm not trying to be a whiner, or a Debbie downer, but a realist. Your statement "we lost to 3 tourney teams" is fine. It doesn't even include "without Karnowski" which is a bigger deal. It's how these games get lost that is so hard.

Last night, with two minutes to play and down 1, I really had almost no nope we could win. I had no hope b/c the end of game stuff requires guard play and shooting to execute, I saw no one on the floor who could lead us home.

We need Karno bac but I doubt he's even close.

FroZAG
12-13-2015, 01:38 PM

http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_640x430/public/587698547.png

realtydog
12-13-2015, 01:46 PM
It's right here realtydog; started a half hour before reb did by kroz.

Threads like This only confirm the dorks we are for looking at these boards so often

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2015, 03:45 PM
I have long ago embraced my dorkiness. I am at peace with my mediocrity.
Threads like This only confirm the dorks we are for looking at these boards so often

willandi
12-13-2015, 03:59 PM
I have long ago embraced my dorkiness. I am at peace with my mediocrity.

Me two!

cjm720
12-14-2015, 05:55 AM
Eh. I get what you're saying, but it was the right play.

A broken play is the right play? Okeydokey!

I was at the game. Very fun, competitive game but the wrong team won. While he has a way to go, Perks proved his toughness and competitive nature. McC really stepped up. I feel we may lose Melson. I watched him more than any player on the sidelines and he is one unhappy dude. Ugh...oh, Mark Few may have a heart atrack this season...hope he's working on his cardio.

TexasZagFan
12-14-2015, 06:36 AM
A broken play is the right play? Okeydokey!

I was at the game. Very fun, competitive game but the wrong team won. While he has a way to go, Perks proved his toughness and competitive nature. McC really stepped up. I feel we may lose Melson. I watched him more than any player on the sidelines and he is one unhappy dude. Ugh...oh, Mark Few may have a heart atrack this season...hope he's working on his cardio.

Will be interested to see how this plays out with Silas. I saw the frustration Few had with him when he sat down Silas. I doubt Silas has met with such a challenge, and his reaction over the next few games will be telling. If it gets worse, he'll be lost in the shuffle next year.

cjm720
12-14-2015, 06:48 AM
Will be interested to see how this plays out with Silas. I saw the frustration Few had with him when he sat down Silas. I doubt Silas has met with such a challenge, and his reaction over the next few games will be telling. If it gets worse, he'll be lost in the shuffle next year.

I think he's a key piece to next year but he needs to keep working and be patient IMO

thespywhozaggedme
12-14-2015, 07:07 AM
I dunno, with NWG and Norvell, if Melsons confidence is broken, it could be detrimental long term. I hope the kid sorts it out.
I think he's a key piece to next year but he needs to keep working and be patient IMO

Reborn
12-14-2015, 12:48 PM

The fact remains, it's all Silas' doing. If you can't hit the wide open shots when you're on the floor playing, then someone else needs to be in your spot. It's just the way it is. Every player on Gonzaga's team was a great high school players. When you go on to college, you just have to start all over and prove yourself at a higher level. Melson HAS NOT done that. Few has given him every chance. And as he is showing, he is a negative guy when he's not playing, and to me, he will be gone next year if that attitude doesn't change.

Reborn
12-14-2015, 12:52 PM
I dunno, with NWG and Norvell, if Melsons confidence is broken, it could be detrimental long term. I hope the kid sorts it out.

the nice thing about NWG is that he is a proven player with lots of experience. I really look forward to seeing him in a Zags uni. I hope he has the success that Dickau did at Gonzaga. Norvell will be a freshman, so we will have to wait and see about him,but he looks pretty darn good.

Zag79
12-15-2015, 12:41 PM

Couldn't agree more... And 20+ missed threes won't cut it, you've got to drive or create when you're that cold. That is simply up to the coach to stop, address, change, etc. Also, with two players like Sabonis and Wilt who CAN create patience is key. Guards have to let the bigs get deeper before feeding them, it'll help with the double teams as well as create better looks inside. It's not about pounding it inside over and over, as much as changing up the game plan instead of settling for 25 three ball attempts when cold.