PDA

View Full Version : Karnowski (medical) redshirt?

raise the zag
12-10-2015, 09:09 AM
Ok, I am going to take heat for this, yet curious if Karnowski still qualifies for a medical RS?

I am not sure the specifics, and of course 'worst-case' scenario, yet would he be willing or qualify?

I spend over half my time assisting spinal surgeries and spinal injections of all types for pain/injury/trauma.

A so-called "slipped disc" pressing on a nerve can last 6 days or 6 months. Before it dries up or slips back into position. Sometimes, in certain cases, it never heals itself and discectomy is required.

Surprised they aren't, at least, attempting an epidural or transforaminal esi around the nerve. Simple procedure and reduces inflammation/pain -- assuming they don't want to risk further injury without him knowing given his age and activity.

Anyway, point is…there is a chance he may not be able to play again this season. Next March, for instance, is only 3.5 months away, and this is not just a strain/sprain, rather disc bulge.

Unpredictable. He could wake up tomorrow and feel significantly better, or be required a minimally invasive approach to fix it 6 months from now.

Right now, they are hoping January, but if not, a medical redshirt shouldn't be out of the question.

CDC84
12-10-2015, 09:21 AM
He's played in just 5 games, so he is eligible. Pitt game was cancelled.

strikenowhere
12-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Ok, I am going to take heat for this, yet curious if Karnowski still qualifies for a medical RS?

I am not sure the specifics, and of course 'worst-case' scenario, yet would he be willing or qualify?

I spend over half my time assisting spinal surgeries and spinal injections of all types for pain/injury/trauma.

A so-called "slipped disc" pressing on a nerve can last 6 days or 6 months. Before it dries up or slips back into position. Sometimes, in certain cases, it never heals itself and discectomy is required.

Surprised they aren't, at least, attempting an epidural or transforaminal esi around the nerve. Simple procedure and reduces inflammation/pain -- assuming they don't want to risk further injury without him knowing given his age and activity.

Anyway, point is…there is a chance he may not be able to play again this season. Next March, for instance, is only 3.5 months away, and this is not just a strain/sprain, rather disc bulge.

Unpredictable. He could wake up tomorrow and feel significantly better, or be required a minimally invasive approach to fix it 6 months from now.

Right now, they are hoping January, but if not, a medical redshirt shouldn't be out of the question.

I don't see him sticking around one way or another. He will have graduated, and there are multiple big mean coming into the program - Larsen, Killie, Collins, J Williams, not to mention Sabonis may stick around another year + Edwards.

thespywhozaggedme
12-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Actually great thread topic and great out of the box thinking. As was mentioned, he is eligible. Hmm.....

raise the zag
12-10-2015, 09:40 AM
I don't see him sticking around one way or another. He will have graduated, and there are multiple big mean coming into the program - Larsen, Killie, Collins, J Williams, not to mention Sabonis may stick around another year + Edwards.

Good point.

A former player told me Karnowski was offered around 700K/yr this past off-season to play in Poland. Can probably qualify for even more…

Sabonis was offered around 600K when he was 17, and around 1 million last season. He has turned down both.

Speaking of Domas, his stock has somewhat dropped since Karnowski went down w/injury -- still playing at a high level and a rebounding machine, yet also highlighted his weaknesses i.e. emotion & forcing it.

Interestingly, two areas that could be helped with more experience, and showcased next season.

Back to Karnowski -- I hope he heals sooner than later. This is a tough injury, especially for someone with his habitus.

He should be doing around the clock physical rehab, deep muscle treatment, and stretching exercises, yet absolutely should NOT be sitting on bench during games sans lumbar support.

We need to brace ourselves that Karnowski could return by Christmas or not at all this season. As Doctors on this board or any other will tell you, disc issues are unreliable and unpredictable.

Ezag
12-10-2015, 09:49 AM
If Karno is out, I say "Edwards, Edwards, Edwards"

strikenowhere
12-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Good point.

A former player told me Karnowski was offered around 700K/yr this past off-season to play in Poland. Can probably qualify for even more…

Sabonis was offered around 600K when he was 17, and around 1 million last season. He has turned down both.

Speaking of Domas, his stock has somewhat dropped since Karnowski went down w/injury -- still playing at a high level and a rebounding machine, yet also highlighted his weaknesses i.e. emotion & forcing it.

Interestingly, two areas that could be helped with more experience, and showcased next season.

Back to Karnowski -- I hope he heals sooner than later. This is a tough injury, especially for someone with his habitus.

He should be doing around the clock physical rehab, deep muscle treatment, and stretching exercises, yet absolutely should NOT be sitting on bench during games sans lumbar support.

We need to brace ourselves that Karnowski could return by Christmas or not at all this season. As Doctors on this board or any other will tell you, disc issues are unreliable and unpredictable.

I think the one good thing he has that most of us don't is youth...the younger you are the faster you heal, so hopefully that will help.

raise the zag
12-10-2015, 10:02 AM
If Karno is out, I say "Edwards, Edwards, Edwards"

In my honest assessment, Coach Few's biggest flaw this season:

-- Not establishing/grooming Ryan Edwards enough given the situation --

He has played 12 minutes TOTAL the last two games sans Karno.

Inexcusable. He should be playing 12 mins per game, at a minimum.

Karno is going to be out for some time.

We do not have a choice to get him going, get him involved, get him a green light, besides...

Ryan has shown flashes of above-average defense, timing, tremendous hands, and some slick post moves.

He's 4-4 FG since PK has been out. 100% FG with limited opportunity. Give him more plays, more opportunities. Some of his moves look better, more fluid than even Karnowski. Not as complete of player, but certainly deserving of more minutes.

Not to mention, Kyle Wiltjer looks so damn tired at the end of games. Understandably so, as we are literally riding him, but give Edwards at least 10-15 mins per game.

Wiltjer played 38 mins vs Montana, and 39 mins vs Zona! Unheard of as a POST player. Simply, unnatural. Props to Wiltjer for keeping it going, but how much longer can he log 40 mins a game? If anything, its hurting our chances down the stretch…

Growing pains or not, give Edwards more time.

This will only benefit us in the long-run and give more confidence to a budding player, in addition, gives Wiltjer much needed rest.

Sheesh.

DukeSilver
12-10-2015, 10:15 AM
In my honest assessment, Coach Few's biggest flaw this season:

-- Not establishing/grooming Ryan Edwards enough given the situation --

+1.

We need his role to grow with Karno out, the only way for him to increase his effectiveness is to log minutes in big time games. But, to my mind, more inexcusable than his lack of minutes since Karno has been out, was his lack of PT before Karno's absence. Don't think I saw him on the floor once in Atlantis (except maybe at the end of the UW game). Even limited minutes in those games could have helped him prepare for what we need him to do now.

zagfan24
12-10-2015, 10:17 AM
A bit off topic, but wow has PK being out showed just how valuable he is to this team. Far and away the best passer among the bigs, and such a deterrant in the lane defensively. His leadership skills seem to have grown as well. I really hope he can come back soon, and until then, I agree with others that I'd love to see Edwards get 10-12 minutes at least per game. Both for his own sake as well as to get Sabonis and especially Wiltjer some rest.

raise the zag
12-10-2015, 10:23 AM
+1.

We need his role to grow with Karno out, the only way for him to increase his effectiveness is to log minutes in big time games. But, to my mind, more inexcusable than his lack of minutes since Karno has been out, was his lack of PT before Karno's absence. Don't think I saw him on the floor once in Atlantis (except maybe at the end of the UW game). Even limited minutes in those games could have helped him prepare for what we need him to do now.

Its darn near laughable when you see Wiltjer averaging 38.5 minutes per game without Karnowski.

That is unreal. I realize we haven't been given much choice, but Edwards has shown poise, touch around the rim, soft hands, nice moves, and ok defense.

While Ryan's passing ability, even defense, is no where near Karnowski's, he's still a valuable asset and might be just as good of scorer. We know Edwards is one of the better FT shooters on the team.

The 6 and 7 minutes each game is crazy. Senseless, especially how fatigued Wiltjer has looked since WSU. He's not taking the final shots in games because he can barely lift his arms, even more apparent in replay. Team suffers in crunch time. Our bigs are tired.

Sabonis is averaging 34 mins since Karno has been out and probably many more if not for foul trouble.

We need these two to be play at maximum capacity the entire game, we also need Edwards to be developed at a rapid rate, especially Pre-WCC.

Give him a chance. More minutes now will only help later i.e. rest for Wiltjer, development for Edwards.

DukeSilver
12-10-2015, 10:24 AM
A bit off topic, but wow has PK being out showed just how valuable he is to this team.

Hopefully professional scouts have taken notice, as well ... I've always thought that Karno's defensive prowess and ability to create offense for teammates was seriously under-valued by NBA types.

DukeSilver
12-10-2015, 10:26 AM
We know Edwards is one of the better FT shooters on the team.

Given what we've seen the last few games, this alone should be earning him more PT.

raise the zag
12-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Given what we've seen the last few games, this alone should be earning him more PT.

it was reported in the off-season as well. Edwards routinely one of the better FT shooters in practice/contests, even topping Wiltjer on occasion.

DixieZag
12-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Yes he would qualify.

No he would not take it. I think at that point he would go pro.

So, lets do all we can to get him back on the court.

We're suffering without him.

JPtheBeasta
12-10-2015, 11:35 AM
Do we know Karowski's official diagnosis?

Goshzagit
12-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Do we know Karowski's official diagnosis?

MRI revealed a lumbar disc bulge placing subsequent pressure on the foramina/nerve; however, no impressionable herniation, yet noted inflammation in area.

ZagaZags
12-10-2015, 12:28 PM
MRI revealed a lumbar disc bulge placing subsequent pressure on the foramina/nerve; however, no impressionable herniation, yet noted inflammation in area.

I blame the beard. It makes him top heavy. :lmao:

Bogozags
12-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Good point.

I do not believe that his stock has gone down...I remember Austin Daye being that emotional as well and he was a lottery pick...DS, whenever he chose to leave/graduate will also be a lottery pick...his skill set is no where to be found in the NCAA's for his position and then again, they will look at his work ethic and his father...I just hope he realizes the money is always going to be there for him and that experiencing "college life" will only last another 2.5 years...

LongIslandZagFan
12-10-2015, 02:08 PM
I do not believe that his stock has gone down...I remember Austin Daye being that emotional as well and he was a lottery pick...DS, whenever he chose to leave/graduate will also be a lottery pick...his skill set is no where to be found in the NCAA's for his position and then again, they will look at his work ethic and his father...I just hope he realizes the money is always going to be there for him and that experiencing "college life" will only last another 2.5 years...

75% of his collegiate fouls go uncalled in the NBA.

seacatfan
12-10-2015, 02:33 PM

Interesting comparison, hadn't thought of that. Daye got ragged on consistently both during and after his days at GU by a good portion of the fan base. Sabonis has been practically immune so far. I wonder why the difference?

MTZag03
12-10-2015, 02:56 PM
I think the one good thing he has that most of us don't is youth...the younger you are the faster you heal, so hopefully that will help.

The younger you are, the larger the intervertebral discs are. These injuries can be worse in young people.

MTZag03
12-10-2015, 02:59 PM
SOunds like you're reading a medical interpretation. Usually these things are and should be kept private. If this is truely inside information, somebody will be in major trouble. I'm thinking the mods should remove it. Blabbing things on the net have consequences....true or not. BUT inside people should NEVER be talking about someone's health in detail. EG saying someone has a bad or sore back keeping him out is fine....BUT this is not what we're seeing with this report. It's seriously an indiviuals health file. I don't think this is fair nor is it ethical. Remove any and all of it please. If an MD or hospital let this infornmation out, they be having official visits. It's the law.

A possible plus side: MRIs have a very high level of false positives for lumbar. He likely does have what's described, but it may not account for symptoms.

Zag 77
12-10-2015, 03:10 PM
I saw that once late at night in an infomercial for an inversion table and one for some special boots you attach to a bar. If it is in an infomercial, it is gospel, right?

LongIslandZagFan
12-10-2015, 03:26 PM
I saw that once late at night in an infomercial for an inversion table and one for some special boots you attach to a bar. If it is in an infomercial, it is gospel, right?

Don't think they make them that big. :D

TheZagPhish
12-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Don't think they make them that big. :D

Well, there was that one...

http://cl.ly/e3Sk/frankenstein-monster-table.jpg

JPtheBeasta
12-10-2015, 04:14 PM

We treat those with interlaminar or transforaminal epidural steroid injections. He could be back in weeks if that helps. A microdiscectomy puts an average Joe out 3 months, and a discectomy with fusion puts you closer to 6 months.

Goshzagit
12-10-2015, 04:47 PM
We treat those with interlaminar or transforaminal epidural steroid injections. He could be back in weeks if that helps. A microdiscectomy puts an average Joe out 3 months, and a discectomy with fusion puts you closer to 6 months.

Exactly. As you mention, can't figure out why they haven't tried a TFE and/or ILE inj given his symptoms & diagnosis? Possibly a corticosteroid issue in collegiate athletes? Either would ultimately reduce the inflammation around the nerve causing said symptoms. Potentially pain-free for 3-4 months. Team trainers probably nervous about further injury w/out feeling, & of course a breakdown of connective tissue can occur. A micro-disc can be same-day, minimally invasive, but recovery time an issue.

seacatfan
12-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Is everyone other than me a Dr.?

Zagdawg
12-10-2015, 05:39 PM
I'm not a doctor but I stayed at Holiday Inn Express last night and I can help you with that rash......... ;)

Bogozags
12-10-2015, 07:47 PM
75% of his collegiate fouls go uncalled in the NBA.

And he'd get to the line much more often...he just has so much upside...

A poster wondered why DS is so well received and Austin might not have been as well liked...DS's motor never ends, it just doesn't Austin had tons of talent but just didn't appear to be as much of a team player as is DS...imo

Hate that PK won't be playing in the UCLA game...really makes it tough on the two sophomores (DS and RE)...BUT GREAT learning experiences for both...

Reborn
12-10-2015, 08:47 PM
I heard Seth Davis say during the half-time of the Iowa St vs Iowa game that Karnowski is just suffering from back spasms and a decision whether he will play will be made just before the game Saturday. He prefaced his statement with, "Good news!"

seacatfan
12-10-2015, 09:25 PM
And he'd get to the line much more often...he just has so much upside...

A poster wondered why DS is so well received and Austin might not have been as well liked...DS's motor never ends, it just doesn't Austin had tons of talent but just didn't appear to be as much of a team player as is DS...imo

Hate that PK won't be playing in the UCLA game...really makes it tough on the two sophomores (DS and RE)...BUT GREAT learning experiences for both...

Okay, but a lot of what people were down on Daye about was being too demonstrative on the court, complaining about calls too much, stuff like that. Which is exactly what Sabonis does, but gets a free pass from most of this board. So as long as he grabs 10+ rebounds his demeanor and actions don't matter maybe?

Outraged
12-10-2015, 10:39 PM
The only place we will see Karnoski next year is going to be the NBA. We need to cherrish and appreciate every minute we have with him.
Edwards would Start on most TEAMS he plays the system. He is a pure center most TEAMS would drool to have him.

JPtheBeasta
12-10-2015, 11:27 PM
Is everyone other than me a Dr.?I'm in health care, but not a doctor. They do let me wear a white coat, though :]

MDABE80
12-11-2015, 12:33 AM
Well I'm a doctor but I do stay at Holiday Inns once in a while. lol.you guys! He'll be back when he gets back.this or next year. Nothing we can do about this problem. Edwards is getting better but he'll have to grow up mighty fast if he's going to defend UCLA bigs. Personally I think Parker is a lazy player who is just BIG. WIFE......little hops. THe redhead is the one to worry about. Welch is a very talented kid.

ZagaZags
12-11-2015, 02:50 AM
[QUOTE=MDABE80;1153668]Well I'm a doctor but I do stay at Holiday Inns once in a while. lol.you guys! He'll be back when he gets back.this or next year. Nothing we can do about this problem. Edwards is getting better but he'll have to grow up mighty fast if he's going to defend UCLA bigs. Personally I think Parker is a lazy player who is just BIG. WIFE......little hops. THe redhead is the one to worry about. Welch is a very talented kid.[/QUOTE

I would love to have Karnowski for one more season. It would suck for this season though.

gonstu
12-11-2015, 05:15 AM
Exactly. As you mention, can't figure out why they haven't tried a TFE and/or ILE inj given his symptoms & diagnosis? Possibly a corticosteroid issue in collegiate athletes? Either would ultimately reduce the inflammation around the nerve causing said symptoms. Potentially pain-free for 3-4 months. Team trainers probably nervous about further injury w/out feeling, & of course a breakdown of connective tissue can occur. A micro-disc can be same-day, minimally invasive, but recovery time an issue.

How do you know they haven't tried that?

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-11-2015, 06:06 AM
The only place we will see Karnoski next year is going to be the NBA. We need to cherrish and appreciate every minute we have with him.
Edwards would Start on most TEAMS he plays the system. He is a pure center most TEAMS would drool to have him.

PK is the Polish Hammer 2.0 and I sure hope we see more of him on the court for the Zags asap. If he does not recover fully in time to play this year, I support him 100% if he chooses to go pro...22 yrs old he must be by end of this season. Basketball is hard on your body and these guys have limited number of years to earn a living playing the game they love.

As for Edwards, I too have been impressed by him thus far and not only hope he sees significantly more minutes, but that his teammates actually feed him the ball more often. Almost looks to me like when he is in the game, the guards/wings play as if 'ok, good, now I finally don't have to just feed the ball inside and can look for my own shot' when in reality Edwards does a great job sealing off his man and presenting a big target for a post feed.

Tomorrow is one of the biggest regular season games in recent Zag history imho, as a win can get this team back on track and confident....a loss could send them into a tailspin.

Go Zags!!!

DukeSilver
12-11-2015, 07:04 AM
I heard Seth Davis say during the half-time of the Iowa St vs Iowa game that Karnowski is just suffering from back spasms and a decision whether he will play will be made just before the game Saturday. He prefaced his statement with, "Good news!"

If true, "good news" seems like a big-time understatement!

DixieZag
12-11-2015, 07:39 AM
If true, "good news" seems like a big-time understatement!

Just seems like it can't be right, or we'd hear a lot more of "the good news" around here.

But, as for your statement, if it is true, yes, you are correct, might be the biggest GU understatement in a while.

Having thought about it a bit, even if his back were broken in half, wouldn't it be semi-decent gamesmanship to "say" that he is having some spasms and it will be a game time decision, only so that UCLA has to prepare to play against him?

I doubt he'll play, just too much to come back during finals and all that, plus maybe it's best to sit him down until conference starts.

I can't believe I said that. We have 3 OOC games left to make some kind of statement, UCLA, SMU, and Tenn (Tenn much less), I'd sure like to sweep them.

JPtheBeasta
12-11-2015, 07:52 AM
Well I'm a doctor but I do stay at Holiday Inns once in a while. lol.you guys! He'll be back when he gets back.this or next year. Nothing we can do about this problem. Edwards is getting better but he'll have to grow up mighty fast if he's going to defend UCLA bigs. Personally I think Parker is a lazy player who is just BIG. WIFE......little hops. THe redhead is the one to worry about. Welch is a very talented kid.

No need to LOL on my behalf, Doc- just giving my two cents on typical treatment options for bulging discs. I don't think the sky is falling, and it seems that his actual diagnosis is highly speculative at this point.

zagfan1
12-11-2015, 09:18 AM
SOunds like you're reading a medical interpretation. Usually these things are and should be kept private. If this is truely inside information, somebody will be in major trouble. I'm thinking the mods should remove it. Blabbing things on the net have consequences....true or not. BUT inside people should NEVER be talking about someone's health in detail. EG saying someone has a bad or sore back keeping him out is fine....BUT this is not what we're seeing with this report. It's seriously an indiviuals health file. I don't think this is fair nor is it ethical. Remove any and all of it please. If an MD or hospital let this infornmation out, they be having official visits. It's the law.

I am sure he doesn't have the records. No need to freak out. We don't know what the condition is. However, it is relevant to discuss in my mind because he is a critical component to the team.

raise the zag
12-11-2015, 09:57 AM
sadly, sounds like Seth Davis is basing his report off week-old news, when he was 'game-time' decision w/spasms.

In addition to localized spasms, He's also dealing w/chronic tingling, and an "on fire" sensation down his right leg.

It'd be a St. Aloysius miracle if he plays vs UCLA, even if he suits up.

I'd love it Seth Davis heard otherwise, but sounds out of the ballpark.

raise the zag
12-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Per Meehans tweet (direct quote):

"MRI revealed a disc putting pressure on a right-side nerve."

How is that tweet, in meehan's own words, any different than the post on here?

Just because one uses medical verbage to share the exact same report doesn't make a HIPPA violation.

If that were the case, Meehan would be of equal offense.

I think the words used to describe the same condition has been taken out of context in this instance.

GrizZAG
12-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Yep...HIPAA and more... much more.

No good coach will allow injury information to leak out one way or another and likely demands his staff follow suit. It wouldn't surprise me Karno suits up or not. Let's hope he does.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-11-2015, 10:32 AM

I'm with MDABE on this one Goshzagit, you appear to be posting the results of an MRI as you give a lot more detail then a generic "sprained ankle" or "pulled muscle" kind of report. What's up with this?

Mods, do you draw any lines in the sand on this board for postings...or only delete opinions you do not like? :-)

p.s. Just saw raise's post re: Meehan tweet, which is a good point as the info seems to be in the Twitterverse already...but I still don't think it's legit posting material as the "no impressionable herniation, yet noted inflammation in area" details sound like he's sharing more than Meehan's tweet revealed.

raise the zag
12-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Every single mention re: Karnowski's injury, diagnosis, and/or symptoms have been mentioned by Spokesman, Meehan, College Bball Insider, Seth Davis, Karnowski himself, and most recently, The Mark Few Show.

This is so far from a HIPPA issue, the Joint Commission would chuckle at the accusations being thrown around...

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Every single mention re: Karnowski's injury, diagnosis, and/or symptoms have been mentioned by Spokesman, Meehan, College Bball Insider, Seth Davis, Karnowski himself, and most recently, The Mark Few Show.

This is so far from a HIPPA issue, the Joint Commission would chuckle at the accusations being thrown around...

Ok, I did not know all that so will take your word for it...links would be nice.

JAGzag
12-12-2015, 07:50 AM
"HIPAA violation" = most misused legal allegation used in the history of the universe. True fact.

DixieZag
12-12-2015, 08:20 AM
Is he going to play tonight?

Odds?

One in 10?

Zaglaw
12-12-2015, 10:27 AM
Today's paper implies that he will be playing. Picture caption says he will have his hands full with UCLA.

ZagnetitForce
12-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Oh I sure hope that is true and Karno will be playing!

BurgessEraZag
12-12-2015, 11:11 AM
H
Biggest sac of Bullchit on record. Just not true..\

"MRI revealed a lumbar disc bulge placing subsequent pressure on the foramina/nerve; however, no impressionable herniation, yet noted inflammation in area" <--this is not material from any announcer or reporter. These specific words came from either a radiologist or tech (who reads the reports). Nobody here could even dream up those words in this context.

Not exactly SR material nor ESPN material.
Instead of this blowing up , let's be aware inside knowledge of things might be nice, but it's hardly material for a message board. Nobody causes anyone to regurgitate some form of knowledge no matter how gossipy appealing it might be.

Hey youngsters. Listen to MD, he's correct. The HIIPA privilege is the patient's and unless the patient gives his consent to release medical information it is confidential and a violation of law to disclosure without permission. Why in the hell do you think Few doesn't talk about injuries. He is just as smart as MD. Sure us rooters what to know what's up. But guess what so do all our opponents. Maybe we should try to use a little intelligence and keep our "hold cards." In this case there is some suggestion Karnowski has indeed released his privilege but anyone who willy nilly spreads medical information without permission is potentially in trouble. I want to know everything as much as you do, but I'd rather have our opponents guessing, even if I'm also in the dark. As some wise person said on one of these posts recently....there some who are grateful for GU's success and others who feel entitled. You know who you are.

krozman
12-12-2015, 11:14 AM
Tom brady was listed as "questionable" for like 3 straight seasons of games by Belechik wasn't he.

Reborn
12-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Today's paper implies that he will be playing. Picture caption says he will have his hands full with UCLA.

This would be great.

Zagsker
12-12-2015, 12:24 PM

You just broke soooooo many HIPAA laws and I think a couple Klingon laws as well......oooooohhhhhh some posters are going to be so cross with you

JAGzag
12-12-2015, 12:35 PM
H

Hey youngsters. Listen to MD, he's correct. The HIIPA privilege is the patient's and unless the patient gives his consent to release medical information it is confidential and a violation of law to disclosure without permission. Why in the hell do you think Few doesn't talk about injuries. He is just as smart as MD. Sure us rooters what to know what's up. But guess what so do all our opponents. Maybe we should try to use a little intelligence and keep our "hold cards." In this case there is some suggestion Karnowski has indeed released his privilege but anyone who willy nilly spreads medical information without permission is potentially in trouble. I want to know everything as much as you do, but I'd rather have our opponents guessing, even if I'm also in the dark. As some wise person said on one of these posts recently....there some who are grateful for GU's success and others who feel entitled. You know who you are.

Mark Few doesn't discuss medical issues b/c of HIPAA? Um...no.

MDABE80
12-12-2015, 12:36 PM
He doesn't discuss them in specifity because he's smart. It's fine to say he'll play, has a sore back and such. This is different.

Goshzagit
12-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Karnowski is officially 'questionable' for tonight's game.

Not ideal news, yet much better than being ruled "out".

On the upswing!

zag buddy
12-12-2015, 01:39 PM
We need more gov. laws Where's the medical police- oh their coming.

23dpg
12-12-2015, 01:55 PM
We need more gov. laws Where's the medical police- oh their coming.

There are three things wrong with this sentence.

Punctuation
Spelling
Content

Let's stick to basketball everyone.

Go Zags!

Goshzagit
12-12-2015, 01:58 PM
to game-time decision! :drool:

- per GU athletics spokesman

MDABE80
12-12-2015, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't expect Karno to just be the old Karno. He's still got some pain and some damage. Let's hope he eats some space and can funtion. 3 games gone and likely some immobility. Great kid and he'll do the best he can if he sees the court. Edwards can do some of the work and he's much more agile and he's a mountain. I wish he had more experience . Maybe ( a big maybe) between the two, things will turn our way. Few's got quite a coaching job to do with this UCLA game. Guards and defense win this. UCLA is a good 3 pt shooting team..........hope we can hold them off.
Expect UCLA to try to foul out Domas by attacking the key and packing it.

zag buddy
12-12-2015, 02:48 PM
tx 23pd, other than the 3 things you mention it was a good post? Apparently we can talk about laws but not the gov. that creates them.Yeah I should keep politics out of the forum, but then I'm having a bad day, a bad hair day to be exact. I think I just found a bald spot on the top back of my head. You'd be unset too. I know it's a quasi medical condition but feel free to discuss it. MDabe80 where are you when I need you? I', getting no sympathy and less medical advice. I'm thinking shoe polish might be in order.

Reborn
12-12-2015, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't expect Karno to just be the old Karno. He's still got some pain and some damage. Let's hope he eats some space and can funtion. 3 games gone and likely some immobility. Great kid and he'll do the best he can if he sees the court. Edwards can do some of the work and he's much more agile and he's a mountain. I wish he had more experience . Maybe ( a big maybe) between the two, things will turn our way. Few's got quite a coaching job to do with this UCLA game. Guards and defense win this. UCLA is a good 3 pt shooting team..........hope we can hold them off.
Expect UCLA to try to foul out Domas by attacking the key and packing it.

I would say UCLA is a streaky 3 pt shooting team. They're on the road there it is more difficult to hit 3s. I believe that overall, the Zags shoot one per cent highter from beyond the arc. I think the 3 pt shoting stat will go to GU but not by a big margin.

bartruff1
12-12-2015, 03:15 PM
I am under the impression that Gonzaga is close to leading the nation in 3 point shooting % defense...

Section 116
12-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Oklahoma 22.8%; West Virgina 23.0%; Gonzaga 23.8%: Link: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/518

DixieZag
12-12-2015, 04:59 PM
to game-time decision! :drool:

- per GU athletics spokesman

I didn't know there was a hierarchy to those quotes, "Questionable" or "Game time decision" or even "probable" - I thought all those were just coach speak or something.

Thank you (if they are official categories.)

DixieZag
12-12-2015, 05:01 PM
I would say UCLA is a streaky 3 pt shooting team. They're on the road there it is more difficult to hit 3s. I believe that overall, the Zags shoot one per cent highter from beyond the arc. I think the 3 pt shoting stat will go to GU but not by a big margin.

It seems Alford is streaky. His % isn't even all that good, but when hot he can hit shots falling into the seats.

Reborn
12-12-2015, 05:10 PM
Oklahoma 22.8%; West Virgina 23.0%; Gonzaga 23.8%: Link: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/518

Nice Thanks

CDC84
12-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Update from Meehan :(

Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 5m5 minutes ago
Karnowski (back) expected to miss fourth straight game tonight vs. UCLA

hooter73
12-12-2015, 06:06 PM
D##MIT!

DixieZag
12-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Update from Meehan :(

Damn.

It's starting to really take a toll.

Perhaps we'll hear the "they lost those ___ games when Senior 7'1 Center was hurt, so the committee will look at that and . . .

Goshzagit
12-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Reports can be fickle.

Karnowski reported on crutches tonight. Most recent update.

If anything, his back is worse than ever...

Damn.

Playing games with UCLA?

Team officials listed him as 'game time decision'.

Far from it.

As mentioned previously, a former player said January at earliest..

Starting to believe him ahead of our current administration assessment...

Will most likely be New Year until he even considers playing again. Just don't want to give hopes up.

CDC84
12-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Will it heal on its own, or will he need surgery? Not sure how invasive the surgery would be for something like this, but it might be the quicker route. He would've made a big difference on Tony Parker tonight.

Zags11
12-12-2015, 09:30 PM
Be prepared to not have karno all yr or March at best.

bartruff1
12-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Well, I am no doctor, but I had a slipped disc that was pinching a nerve and sending pain and numbness down my leg and I couldn't stand up for more than 10 minutes or walk more than 30'......for two years of drugs, shots, traction , physical therapy ....so.....I will be very surprised and happy if I ever see Shem play again for Gonzaga....

Zags11
12-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Well, I am no doctor, but I had a slipped disc that was pinching a nerve and sending pain and numbness down my leg and I couldn't stand up for more than 10 minutes or walk more than 30'......for two years of drugs, shots, traction , physical therapy ....so.....I will be very surprised and happy if I ever see Shem play again for Gonzaga....

Your on the right track.

raise the zag
12-12-2015, 10:00 PM
my initial question & post. Karno would be eligible for medical RS, yet sounds as if he wouldn't return either way.

As my source mentioned, could be better by tomorrow or out for the season.

Either outcome is just as plausible.

Karnowski's back worse than reported by mainstream media, and Coach Few stated this as well…

Just sad news for him, the team, and potentially his future. Back issues are a dangerous deal. I do hope he seeks additional help from sports medicine Specialists around the country.

Even NFL or NBA guys seek treatment beyond team trainer for contract Doctors.

strikenowhere
12-12-2015, 10:04 PM
my initial question & post. Karno would be eligible for medical RS, yet sounds as if he wouldn't return either way.

As my source mentioned, could be better by tomorrow or out for the season.

Either outcome is just as plausible.

Karnowski's back worse than reported by mainstream media, and Coach Few stated this as well…

Just sad news for him, the team, and potentially his future. Back issues are a dangerous deal. I do hope he seeks additional help from sports medicine Specialists around the country.

Even NFL or NBA guys seek treatment beyond team trainer for contract Doctors.

Does anyone know what caused it?

75Zag
12-12-2015, 10:05 PM
I hope Karno can regain his health and his form and play this year. Big guys are vulnerable to all sorts of problems that we mere 6 footers can not understand. I suspect part of Karno's dilemma may be whether to "tough it out" and perhaps be able to play for GU this year, or have surgery now and skip his remaining GU season in the hope of making it to the NBA one way or the other. A very tough decision for a young man and his family. I wish them well regardless of what happens.

Go Bulldogs!

CDC84
12-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Does anyone know what caused it?

Bad fall in practice.

2wiceright
12-13-2015, 11:07 AM

Agreed, I had three surgeries (very similar symptoms) 1st after bad fall on the job, other two from car accidents. First one they try everything conservative and I've heard very few that had recovered w/out surgery- especially as time goes on.... No knowledge on his case obviously, but his size and weight isn't in his favor- youth and top notch athlete are. Still, if I was to bet- sad to say I personally doubt (from my experieces) he can recover without surgery+ w recovery have any chance to get back in playing shape and contribute this year. I soooo hope and pray I'm wrong. Thoughts and prayers are with him as either way he has a rough road ahead! Please Karno, redshirt if you have to but just get well....Godspeed....

sylean
12-13-2015, 02:23 PM
many people, infact, most people, can recover from disc problems without surgery...surgery should be the last resort. the Neurosurgeon will know what needs to be done.......any surgery at all involves risk so its not always the first option....