PDA

View Full Version : 3 point shooting

GUfan34
12-09-2015, 07:25 AM
That would solve so many problems.

Like, 75% of our problems

And it doesn't seem like our guards are getting many open 3s, which doesn't make sense.

strikenowhere
12-09-2015, 07:40 AM
That would solve so many problems.

Like, 75% of our problems

And it doesn't seem like our guards are getting many open 3s, which doesn't make sense.

I think the guards get plenty of open looks, but they just can't hit them (Melson & Dranginis especially). Its too bad Norvell & Wade aren't available yet.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Any chance the LDS leadership will release Wade from his mission in time for him to enroll in January?

GUfan34
12-09-2015, 07:44 AM
Nelson only took one last night though.

TBH I'd rather they shoot them and miss them compared to continuing to try and get in the paint when it's already packed in there, or making the poor bigs shoot through double and triple teams.

HenneZag
12-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Not a lot of confidence to shoot the 3 right now and teams know it and plug up the post. Turnovers though need to stop, so may lazy passes and ball handling it drives me nuts. The start of that 2nd half was horrendous. I can't remember how many turnovers we had in a row at one point collectively, whether it was getting picked, lazy passes into the post etc.

Ezag
12-09-2015, 08:05 AM
Maybe Alberts needs to get more air time. He seemed to be the only one hitting threes (albeit very little time on the court) other than Wiltjer

GUfan34
12-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Maybe Alberts needs to get more air time. He seemed to be the only one hitting threes (albeit very little time on the court) other than Wiltjer

He doesn't get up any attempts when he's in..

It almost seems like their game plans are to not shoot threes, which is a huge failure

HenneZag
12-09-2015, 08:54 AM

It almost seems like their game plans are to not shoot threes, which is a huge failure
I agree with you. There were several times not just with Alberts but a cpl other guys that were open and wouldn't pull the trigger. I don't know if it's a lack of confidence and nervousness, or if Few is putting the leash on. The sooner these guys start just playing basketball and having fun again the better and more success we will see. Melson is the most frustrating player for me to watch right now, so much potential but Jekyl and Hyde with each game. He needs to realize even when he's not hitting his shots that he impacts the game in other ways so the frustration face needs to go away and he needs to just grind and work.

TacomaZAG
12-09-2015, 09:50 AM
I agree with you. There were several times not just with Alberts but a cpl other guys that were open and wouldn't pull the trigger. I don't know if it's a lack of confidence and nervousness, or if Few is putting the leash on. The sooner these guys start just playing basketball and having fun again the better and more success we will see. Melson is the most frustrating player for me to watch right now, so much potential but Jekyl and Hyde with each game. He needs to realize even when he's not hitting his shots that he impacts the game in other ways so the frustration face needs to go away and he needs to just grind and work.

Given the history of the program (Larry G., PMAC, many others) it's a "miss a 3, sit by me" temperament from the staff, especially for the younger, non-starters. So, IMHO, that naturally leads to tightness, tentativeness, and indecision for guys like Alberts & Melson. Those guys are thinking too much instead of just reacting and playing. Those guys have REALLY short leashes, way too short IMHO. Give them extended minutes against the bottom feeders of the OOC and meaningful minutes against the better OOC teams, because the team is going to need them come March. As Pangos used to say.......Shoot when you're hot, shoot to get hot.

Go ZAGS

roxdoc
12-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Tacoma: +1

the traditional short leash has destroyed confidence. Last thing we need right now.

Zagricultural
12-09-2015, 10:12 AM
I was begging and pleading for Alberts last night. IMO Few needs to put him in with stern instructions to hunt out, and shoot every open three he gets.

gonstu
12-09-2015, 10:19 AM

Someone (can't remember if it was a player or coach) recently said in an interview that their team goal is to shoot less than a certain number of 3's per game. Does anyone else remember this? Who said it and what that number was? It was in the some time in the last couple weeks I thought.

GUfan34
12-09-2015, 10:49 AM
Someone (can't remember if it was a player or coach) recently said in an interview that their team goal is to shoot less than a certain number of 3's per game. Does anyone else remember this? Who said it and what that number was? It was in the some time in the last couple weeks I thought.

if true, thats too bad. few of all people should know how important 3 point shooting is... how many times have we been burned by it? especially in March, upsets happen because of the 3 ball. thats how we could pull off a big upset late in march... you wont by pounding it inside all day.

ProjectMKUltra5
12-09-2015, 10:52 AM
The three point shooting isn't the problem (though it's not great). The problem is that the space where the guards should be operating, which is inside the three and in the paint, is already so crowded by the bigs that they can't get their game going.

A balance needs to be struck. We're still so focused on running the high-low, and working the ball around the perimeter with the purpose of throwing it down low. Everything from a schematic standpoint is being done for the bigs, while almost nothing is being for the guards.

Quite frankly I find this whole thing to be a terrible misuse of personnel and don't think our guards are being put in any sort of posistion to succeed.

Zagricultural
12-09-2015, 11:26 AM
My hope for the UCLA game is for our team to take every open, in rhythm 3 pointer. Miss Bell & Pangos trailing the break and knocking them down.

GUfan34
12-09-2015, 11:27 AM
And an I in Win!

vandalzag
12-09-2015, 12:41 PM
I was begging and pleading for Alberts last night. IMO Few needs to put him in with stern instructions to hunt out, and shoot every open three he gets.

May be why he gets pulled because he does not shoot when open. I would like to see him play more but without PK the weakside 3 just is not there. The passes out of the post the last 3 games have been slow, allowing the double to recover and prevent a ball reversal. Karno would not always throw the pass that led to the shot,but he would throw the pass that led to the pass. Alberts will come along, may not be until WCC.

Zagdawg
12-09-2015, 01:27 PM
He got pulled last night when he bounced the pass off "Sabonis" ankle on the entry pass.

Generally the guys get pulled when they are trying to do things outside of the flow of the offense. If it is within the flow - then they know to pull the trigger.
If you are a three point shooter who decides not to shoot the three on an open look-- there is a good chance you won't be on the floor.

Outraged
12-09-2015, 08:52 PM
I still think these guards will be the best three point shooters we've had in a long time. I feel we have the best potential offensive rebounding team in a long time. I think these two attributes will connect.

23zagmd
12-10-2015, 07:31 AM
At this point, its not even about making 3's. They have to be SHOT even if they don't go in. Two reasons:

1. We seem Hell bent on forcing the ball into the post and for good reason, however, when it does go back outside our guards are not even looking to shoot. Pump faking a defender when they absolutely know all you want to do is force back into the post or to the tip so we can try to force it into the post from the top of key does nothing for spacing or our ability to get the ball back into the post.
2. DS seems to have regressed with his inside-out passing ability which is probably a direct correlation to #1. The first thing he does when he puts the ball on the floor is drop his head and shoulder with the ball, there is little chance that he can successfully hit an open shooter when in that position.

I've been beating this 3 pt drum since the end of last season and it is now something that Kentucky is facing as well. See SI article!

The real issue is that most of these high level teams are built to go deep in March where the officiating and the game change to become more oriented toward getting the other team in foul trouble by pounding the ball to the post. We have not started to see the freedom of movement stuff that all the rule changes were meant to help and quite frankly we don't have a team that can take advantage of it right now with our guards not shooting the ball!

Remember, our best teams......were always great 3 pt shooting teams! Period!