PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs. Montana...predictions and what you want to see tomorrow night.

Reborn
12-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Gonzaga 75
Montana 60

My prediction is that the Zag guards will rebound and have a much better night shooting. I predict 10 threes.

I would like to see less than 12 turnovers. Please handle the ball like you are D1 players. I would love to see PK play. I hope he does.

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
12-07-2015, 05:08 PM
I wouldn’t mind seeing Edwards getting 25 minutes. He needs the work. He is only 26 games or so away from being our starting guy.

I am guessing that the game will be easy enough that it will help our guards gain needed confidence. I am rooting for Josh to have a better night.

basketballzag
12-07-2015, 05:23 PM
I wouldn’t mind seeing Edwards getting 25 minutes. He needs the work. He is only 26 games or so away from being our starting guy.

I am guessing that the game will be easy enough that it will help our guards gain needed confidence. I am rooting for Josh to have a better night.

I would like to see Triano start to light a fire under the Guards ahead of him that they need to get with the program.

willandi
12-07-2015, 06:11 PM
I would like the Zags to take a page out of the Arizona book and score more points than the Griz!

Zagdawg
12-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Very impressed with Edwards poise and skill ---would love to see him get some extra minutes early.

MTZag03
12-07-2015, 06:39 PM
I'd like my friend who played PF for the griz have a bad night.

bartruff1
12-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Montana is not chopped liver...they beat the dickens out of SF...and they beat Boise State...and they are favored to win their conference....a win would be nice.

LongIslandZagFan
12-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Grizzlies 185
Zags 40

Few will be out-coached thoroughly.

Goshzagit
12-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Boise St nearly beat Arizona not once, but twice, and Montana beat them...

So, we have a 'tired team', according to Few. Not to mention any injured team.

I think this game is a struggle.

Our guards are pretty mediocre, will have some good, some bad games. Montana might feature better guard play, while we have significantly better post play.

Zags by 7.

btzag
12-07-2015, 07:26 PM
We are going to kick the crap out of Montana. This team and players have pride and heart and I'm sure they've been hurting every minute since the Zona game. Hopefully some involved with the team have taken a peek at this board because honestly as a fan of this team it gets me ticked off and ready to go! Can't wait to see our Zags represent our university tomorrow night and we'll see if Montana has a single player better than one of ours let alone a whole backcourt, etc.

Marcus
12-07-2015, 07:54 PM
I want to see the guards look to penetrate more often. I liked it when Eric took it to the hoop with authority, even if he missed. When Josh drives to the basket with purpose and agressiveness, good things tend to happen too. He doesn't do it very often but seems to be able to get to the rim most of the time he drives it. Plus it will take advantage of his playmaking instead of just trying to make entry passes from the wing.

If Karnowski is out I'd like to see more of Edwards. Loved what he brought to the game in limited mins. His free throws were beautiful. He was also able to get position inside and seal his defender off easily. One resulted in a phantom foul, and other the ball swung to fast for him to get a pass inside. More Ryan please.

Most of all I'm looking forward to just getting back on the floor for a game. Hope the guys can reset after Arizona and use it as motivation to not make the same mistakes. I really believe we have seen stretches in games where everyone is in sync together and it's been incredible. Tomorrow can be a step forward to more consistency. If they can put it all together for longer periods of time it could be a real confidence boost and something to build on.

FGZagDad
12-07-2015, 08:05 PM
We will have our hands full at present levels of performance. Hope guards figure it out though.

Reborn
12-07-2015, 08:30 PM
We are going to kick the crap out of Montana. This team and players have pride and heart and I'm sure they've been hurting every minute since the Zona game. Hopefully some involved with the team have taken a peek at this board because honestly as a fan of this team it gets me ticked off and ready to go! Can't wait to see our Zags represent our university tomorrow night and we'll see if Montana has a single player better than one of ours let alone a whole backcourt, etc.

I just love this post. This post is what I mean by fire. I feel your fire bro, and I hope it spills over into our team. If I really have one wish it's that they come out and play with the fire that your posts shares with ZagNation. I want to see them DIVING for lose balls, taking charges as if they are fearless and true Zag Warriors. I want to see them attack the basket with fury, and slam dunk that damn ball like you mean business. Be tough. Be men. That's my fire, that's lit. You got me pumped up Buddy. Wow!!! I'm ready to put my uni on and hit the floor.

Go Zags!!!

RenoZag
12-08-2015, 05:28 AM
Prediction:

If no Karnowski: Zags 78, Grizz 73

With Karnowki: Zags 82, Grizz 70

What do I want see ?

A team (not named 'Montana') that takes care of the @#!! basketball.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-08-2015, 05:35 AM
I want to see the offense begin with establishing the post players but then the guards getting more involved offensively.

I hope Dranginis and Melson (and Alberts if he gets on the court) knock down some long range jumpers and get some confidence on the offensive end.

I hope Edwards gets meaningful minutes and continues to earn playing time.

I hope the Zags win and then get ready for UCLA which, imho, is a must win game for Zags to get an auto bid to NCAA tourney. If Zags do not win these next two games, they return to 'win WCC tourney to Dance' status because I don't think the WCC is necessarily a 2-bid conference this year. Auto bid and bubble team is what WCC is this season.

bartruff1
12-08-2015, 05:55 AM
Well you might be right, but I think the Zags will have a good enough record to get a at large bid in the event they lose the WCC Tourney.....probably not a good bid, but a bid.

AS someone who enjoys close competitive games, there might be a bunch of them in the WCC this year. I don't enjoy blowouts as much.

Going to be a very interesting season ....already has been at least for me.

john montana
12-08-2015, 06:10 AM
I want to see Triano play as well...but only because we are ahead by 20 with 90 seconds left. Wow...I literally can't believe people think Triano is more likely to help than JP.

Growth from Melson/Perkins and a W.

Zagtana
12-08-2015, 06:33 AM
Another trap game for GU? Griz coming off a 32 pt win over USF! Zags better be on their game! I say GU 77 - 72.

LongIslandZagFan
12-08-2015, 06:57 AM
Another trap game for GU? Griz coming off a 32 pt win over USF! Zags better be on their game! I say GU 77 - 72.

Did we just use USF who is 4-4 and has really played mostly nobody as a measuring stick?

vandalzag
12-08-2015, 07:05 AM
Did we just use USF who is 4-4 and has really played mostly nobody as a measuring stick?

Yes this team is such a mess they will be lucky to put their shoes on the correct foot. USF has won national championships and their coach played at Kansas so they are legit, unlike GU.

CdAZagFan
12-08-2015, 07:09 AM
Besides seeing the guards raise their level of play, would love to see GU get a double-digit lead in first half, and then be able to extend the lead in the second half and finish strong.

A to Zags
12-08-2015, 07:34 AM
Yes this team is such a mess they will be lucky to put their shoes on the correct foot. USF has won national championships and their coach played at Kansas so they are legit, unlike GU.

Reasonable thoughts but they (Montana) won by 30 which is impressive and they beat Boise State which is a good win. This could be a very competitive close game.

TacomaZAG
12-08-2015, 07:43 AM
I would like to see some reasonable, D1, Top 20 ranking guard play. Maybe 12 or fewer TO's, half a dozen 3's, decent entry passes to the post.

Also, from the staff, a little more balance on the offensive end. Don't just always dump it down into the paint.................

You know, basic stuff.

And a ZAG win of course.

Go ZAGS

Zagdawg
12-08-2015, 07:47 AM
Liking the match ups--- Montana has a 6'8" guy as their primary scorer--our bigs should be able to handle him --plus they do not shoot the three very well (I know I just jinxed us and one of their guys will hit like 14 3's) ---but I hope we see a ton of Edwards (Montana boy) and our guards hit some threes and gain some confidence.

Go Zags

vandalzag
12-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Reasonable thoughts but they (Montana) won by 30 which is impressive and they beat Boise State which is a good win. This could be a very competitive close game.

Agreed with Boise State, not so much with USF only time they play hard is against that Zags. But the state of college basketball this year being what it is any team can you give you a game. If Zags continue with their current approach they will open the door to most teams.

adoptedzag
12-08-2015, 08:01 AM
I would like to see us score 200 points. If my memory serves, we're undefeated when we score 200 or more points.

devotedZAG
12-08-2015, 08:30 AM
I would like to see some reasonable, D1, Top 20 ranking guard play. Maybe 12 or fewer TO's, half a dozen 3's, decent entry passes to the post.

Also, from the staff, a little more balance on the offensive end. Don't just always dump it down into the paint.................

You know, basic stuff.

And a ZAG win of course.

Go ZAGS

I like this and I agree! I'd like a solid lead where we can get some other players in! And a W of course!

Zagtana
12-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Give Edwards some reasonable playing time tonight. He's a Montana boy with incentive to show up big time. Up to now, he's hardly had enough game time to work up a sweat. Turn him loose and let's see what he can do. It's becoming obvious we are going to need him as the season progresses. Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
12-08-2015, 08:44 AM
A very contrite, but aggressive guard corps, looking like they are sharpening their game in light of UCLA.

I want KW to be just as awake in the second half as the first. This requires him getting some rest in the first half, which requires some better guard play.

GrizZAG
12-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Montana 66 UCLA 57 at Pauley Pavillion 2010. Can't sleep on them.

hooter73
12-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Besides seeing the guards raise their level of play, would love to see GU get a double-digit lead in first half, and then be able to extend the lead in the second half and finish strong.

This right here. Get a lead, hold a lead, extend a lead.

mgadfly
12-08-2015, 10:01 AM
I'd like us to work on our weaknesses:

1. Get to the free-throw line (currently 303rd ranked nationally). (Guards attack and draw contact)
2. Take care of the ball (currently 287th in turnovers and 328th in giving up steals).
3. Force turnovers (255th in opponents' turnovers).

It seems like we are so far experiencing the negatives of bigger more athletic guards without reaping all the benefits. Lets use that length to force some turnovers and turn up the pressure (255th isn't horrible (just really bad), but that number combined with our 301st ranking in block shot % combine to show some flaws with our defense).

jbslicer
12-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Zags 79
D'Montana Grizzlies 62

Baseline
12-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Give Edwards big minutes against his home area.

BeachZag
12-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Zags will get back on track. What I don't want to see is Karnowski or anyone else sitting on the bench texting! Even the announcers got into the "act" talking about how many followers Karno's beard site had or didn't have. Even if you are not playing, being a Zag means paying attention to the game. That being said, Go Zags.

mtnZag
12-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Reborn, I really like your glass-half-full way of explaining your views. You always seem to make positive sense. I'm learning from you...thanks

mtnZag
12-08-2015, 12:36 PM
I don't know. Our guards aren't walkons are they?
They disappoint me. I expected more.
They looked great on paper.
Hope they can start acting and playing like Zag guards and play with some guts. Tentative doesn't get it done!

Bogozags
12-08-2015, 01:38 PM

YES! This is what I want to see Thursday AM (game comes on too late for me to stay up) GU establish a lead, build on it and let the W/O's play many minutes BUT will that be the reality or???

Zagdawg
12-08-2015, 01:44 PM
I'm going to say Edwards goes for 10 and 6 --- coming out party.

bballbeachbum
12-08-2015, 02:08 PM
I'd like to see more plays run for Josh Emac and/or Silas early in the game looking to get them feeling good, and I'd like to see the Zags win the first 5 minutes of the second half. would also like to see Karno playing pain free

vandalzag
12-08-2015, 02:14 PM
I'd like to see more plays run for Josh Emac and/or Silas early in the game looking to get them feeling good, and I'd like to see the Zags win the first 5 minutes of the second half. would also like to see Karno playing pain free

Agree with this. I think them standing around watching the KW show takes the wind our of their sales. They need look for theirs (within the offense) as well as feed the bigs.

U Zig, I Zag
12-08-2015, 02:16 PM
Just want to see someone dribble the ball up the court and make a clean pass. Doesn't seem like we can do that a lot of the time. Not really joking when I think someone deeper on the bench should get a shot at handling the ball and just making conventional 'Zag plays'.

I have always begged for some guys with a little flair and attitude. Some athletes that had their own way of playing... but so far this group of guards scares the crud out of me.

I expect this to be closer than not. When's the last time we lost two OOC games in a row?

gonstu
12-08-2015, 02:45 PM
YES! This is what I want to see Thursday AM (game comes on too late for me to stay up) GU establish a lead, build on it and let the W/O's play many minutes BUT will that be the reality or???

9PM your time???? Come on man!

hooter73
12-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Just want to see someone dribble the ball up the court and make a clean pass. Doesn't seem like we can do that a lot of the time. Not really joking when I think someone deeper on the bench should get a shot at handling the ball and just making conventional 'Zag plays'.

I have always begged for some guys with a little flair and attitude. Some athletes that had their own way of playing... but so far this group of guards scares the crud out of me.

I expect this to be closer than not. When's the last time we lost two OOC games in a row?

You know I'm in the same boat, always calling for more flash but dang if i haven't been noticing that every pass is going to the feet of the guy they are passing to. Well either that or three rows over their heads.i guess this would be a good game to get back to the fundamentals with.

Goshzagit
12-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Boise St nearly beat Arizona not once, but twice, and Montana beat them...

So, we have a 'tired team', according to Few. Not to mention any injured team.

I think this game is a struggle.

Our guards are pretty mediocre, will have some good, some bad games. Montana might feature better guard play, while we have significantly better post play.

Zags by 7.

Have nailed every game this season by 2 pts, yet might be off this game. Montana could win this...