PDA

View Full Version : ranked 289 of 300 D1 teams

Baldwinzag
12-03-2015, 08:03 PM
in turnovers per game.

An average of 15.0 per game. Taken from the NCAA's official stats page.

Interestingly, the majority of Top-25 teams are ranked within the Top-50 of fewest per game, while Zags are in the 99th percentile, or bottom-50, of committed TO's.

On the wrong side of the metric.

Given this alarming stat, it is simply amazing feat we are: 1.) ranked 2.) still effective 3.) winning games.

This must improve.

On the bright side…we can only go up from here!

Zagsker
12-03-2015, 08:09 PM
Defensive intensity helps negate some of the to's

with that being said, "Hold on to the DAMN ball!!!!"

dan71w
12-03-2015, 08:18 PM
it feels like many of the teams we have played thus far are using ugly defense that is designed to create the turn overs. the pressure defense works against us simply for now. i think we will get better, but i have noticed these defensive swarming slap happy teams will always give teams fits, us this year more than normal because of the youth.

mattydog73
12-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Biggest contributors to this? The vaunted front court: Wiltjer 3.0 TPG, Karnowski 2.4 TPG and Sabonis 2.0 These three Pretty much account for half of the TO's / game.

Also, youth isn't driving this bus. In fact, you can throw 2 more seniors in there in Emac 1.7 TPG and Draino 1.3 TPG and we are at 10.4 or just shy of 70% of all the 15 TO/PG.

This team is careless with the ball and SEEM to have very little value of each possession.

Side note: if GU beats AZ it will be because they took care of the ball, not if Karnowski does or does not play.... just my .02

Go ZAGS!

LongIslandZagFan
12-04-2015, 11:37 AM
2011-12 team averaged 14 per game for the whole season.

We are talking a small sample set. Lets wait and see if it improves before outright panic.

17 NAU
15 MSM
12 UW
12 A&M
10 UCONN
16 WSU

That is game by game. Average is not always telling as it can be skewed with a small sample set.

Please... step off the TO ledge.

Perkins sub 1 A2TO stat is more worrisome

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-04-2015, 11:50 AM
it feels like many of the teams we have played thus far are using ugly defense that is designed to create the turn overs. the pressure defense works against us simply for now. i think we will get better, but i have noticed these defensive swarming slap happy teams will always give teams fits, us this year more than normal because of the youth.

Danger is it's like a runningback in football who develops a reputation as a fumbler...defenses will up the pressure and go after the ball even harder now that they view Zags as turnover prone.

Point of emphasis in practice for our bigs has to be don't bring the ball down in traffic! and, for KW especially, don't try to dribble into the lane!

TexasZagFan
12-04-2015, 12:00 PM
2011-12 team averaged 14 per game for the whole season.

We are talking a small sample set. Lets wait and see if it improves before outright panic.

17 NAU
15 MSM
12 UW
12 A&M
10 UCONN
16 WSU

That is game by game. Average is not always telling as it can be skewed with a small sample set.

Please... step off the TO ledge.

Perkins sub 1 A2TO stat is more worrisome

I'll be concerned if we're still #289 on Feb 1.

stevet75
12-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Biggest contributors to this? The vaunted front court: Wiltjer 3.0 TPG, Karnowski 2.4 TPG and Sabonis 2.0 These three Pretty much account for half of the TO's / game.

Also, youth isn't driving this bus. In fact, you can throw 2 more seniors in there in Emac 1.7 TPG and Draino 1.3 TPG and we are at 10.4 or just shy of 70% of all the 15 TO/PG.

This team is careless with the ball and SEEM to have very little value of each possession.

Side note: if GU beats AZ it will be because they took care of the ball, not if Karnowski does or does not play.... just my .02

Go ZAGS!

I'm curious as to what percentage of the minutes they play.

maynard g krebs
12-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Just for accuracy- out of 346 teams; more like 85th percentile.

Median is 13.1, so the Zags are turning it over 1.9 times more than the middle. 11.0 is the top 50 cutoff.

Zags are losing 3-4 possessions per game v a team that is decent to good at limiting to's; TO margin is -2.2. Needs to improve, sure. I think it will as the young guards get more experience and the posts adapt to being doubled more than they were w/ KP and GBJ.

But it's mitigated by the excellent defense (10th in fg% at 35.6, 1st in 3 pg fg% at 21.3, 20th in scoring at 60.7) and 24th in rebound margin at +11.

Stated as 289th sounds a lot worse than stated as turning it over 2 more times than average. A concern, sure, but not a catastrophic one at this point. I wouldn't call it "alarming" yet.

upan8th
12-04-2015, 12:34 PM
"
. . .don't bring the ball down in traffic." Robert Sacre disease. Hard to believe the pathogen is still lurking in McCarthy after all these years, but it looks like Sabonis has definitely been infected. And would somebody, anybody, everybody, please slap Wiltjer upside the head the next time he considers feeding the low post from the top of the key? The dope slap will, by itself, cut GU's TOs by a third.

MDABE80
12-04-2015, 12:42 PM
All it is: "Giving the ball back "so the opposition can shoot it again. It's a nice formula for a loss.

Zaga
12-04-2015, 12:46 PM
"
. . .don't bring the ball down in traffic." Robert Sacre disease. Hard to believe the pathogen is still lurking in McCarthy after all these years, but it looks like Sabonis has definitely been infected. And would somebody, anybody, everybody, please slap Wiltjer upside the head the next time he considers feeding the low post from the top of the key? The dope slap will, by itself, cut GU's TOs by a third.

Dope slap! Good one....

exclusivelee
12-04-2015, 12:56 PM
FWIW, there are 351 Division 1 basketball programs, but yes, Zags are in an 11-way tie for 289th place in with 15.0 turnovers per game. Florida A&M and Prairie View A&M are tied for last place with 18.0 per game.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/team/_/stat/assists/sort/avgTurnovers/count/281

Very worrisome that this Gonzaga squad doesn't value every position by trying to take better care of the ball or make smarter decisions when attempting to pass to a teammate. All the shot clock violations and offensive fouls are tough to watch, as well

Ezag
12-04-2015, 01:03 PM
We got the easy WCC Schedule coming up....so it won't burn us till the Tourney

Goshzagit
12-04-2015, 01:23 PM
its no different than going 0-15 FG in a game.

every TO is a missed attempt.

Wish the guys would think of that way.

Even a half-court heave is better than a careless TO.

16 TO's vs WSU is essentially going 0-16 FG during those possessions.

LongIslandZagFan
12-04-2015, 01:56 PM
Less than 20% of the games they will play all year. Please... people... calm down.

12 UW
12 A&M
10 UCONN

Those are the ones to focus on. THOSE are about the norm for nearly every GU team. Remember, a PANGOS led team averaged 15 TOs per game for an entire SEASON.

If you plan on driving 100 miles would you base your milage on the first 20 miles which are mostly local with stops and gos or the full 100 where most is highway driving?

If they are still averaging about 15 at the beginning of WCC... that is more concerning... but for right now... take it all with a grain of salt.

I am sure they are shrugging their shoulders and not caring about the TOs.

titopoet
12-04-2015, 02:02 PM
in turnovers per game.

An average of 15.0 per game. Taken from the NCAA's official stats page.

Interestingly, the majority of Top-25 teams are ranked within the Top-50 of fewest per game, while Zags are in the 99th percentile, or bottom-50, of committed TO's.

On the wrong side of the metric.

Given this alarming stat, it is simply amazing feat we are: 1.) ranked 2.) still effective 3.) winning games.

This must improve.

On the bright side…we can only go up from here!

Zags have to tighten the wheels no doubt. But... also statistically they are the best perimeter D in the country, top 15 in D top 20 in O efficiency. With those number factored in, its is not usually why are 1 ranked, 2 still effective and 3 winning.

The balance view statistically has GU in the top ten, now dream if they do tighten up on the TOs. Then they can move to the top 5.

Hoopaholic
12-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Less than 20% of the games they will play all year. Please... people... calm down.

12 UW
12 A&M
10 UCONN

Those are the ones to focus on. THOSE are about the norm for nearly every GU team. Remember, a PANGOS led team averaged 15 TOs per game for an entire SEASON.

If you plan on driving 100 miles would you base your milage on the first 20 miles which are mostly local with stops and gos or the full 100 where most is highway driving?

If they are still averaging about 15 at the beginning of WCC... that is more concerning... but for right now... take it all with a grain of salt.

I am sure they are shrugging their shoulders and not caring about the TOs.

Completely agree with everything but the last sentence

If the coaches and players are simply shrugging their shoulders at mistakes and not dissecting them, learning from t,hem and focusing on non repeat events then there will be no improvement. Something tells me coach few and staff are not shrugging their shoulders at the turnovers. Just a hunch