• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Seth Davis: Lessons Learned From Atlantis

Gonzaga

Third place (Def. Washington, 80–64; Lost to Texas A&M, 62–61; Def. UConn, 73–70)

The good: We already knew had the Zags had a terrific frontcourt, maybe the best in the country, but the guards were a big question. Mark Few used a rotation of four guards, varying their minutes and roles according to how each game was flowing. Individually, he does not have any superstars, but he learned that the group ain’t bad.

Each of the four came away with a better understanding of what he needs to improve upon. Redshirt freshman Josh Perkins, the team’s starting point guard, was terrific against Texas A&M (15 points, five rebounds, four assists), but he only scored five points in 17 minutes against UConn because of foul trouble. Eric McClellan, a 6’4” senior, only played 15 minutes against the Aggies, but instead of pouting he showed up ready to compete against UConn, scoring 15 points in 29 minutes.

Elsewhere, it was impressive to watch senior forward Kyle Wiltjer average 19.7 points on 50% shooting. It was equally impressive to watch the Zags rebound from the disappointment of their semifinal loss to dispatch a plucky UConn team in the third-place game. With a minute gone in the second half, the Bulldogs led by 21 points before hanging on for dear life down the stretch. “Showing up on Day 3, that’s a hard thing to do down here for everybody,” Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. “We were coming off a disappointing loss where we felt like we were in position to win. That really tests who you are and what you’re all about, and we showed some fight. That’s probably the best thing we learned.”

The bad: Wiltjer was terrific for most of the game against Texas A&M (18 points, seven rebounds, 4-for-8 from three), but on the game’s decisive possession, Few ran a play for Wiltjer but he elected to pass. The result was a forced shot by Perkins (actually, Melson = CDC) and a one-point Aggies victory. Few dismissed the idea that Wiltjer was “too nice” to be a superstar, but I can’t help but wonder whether Wiltjer has enough of a killer instinct. If he doesn’t have it, he better acquire it between now and March.

The same problem is hampering 6’5” senior Kyle Dranginis, the team’s starting two guard. Few lamented after the win over UConn that the coaching staff and the players have more confidence than Dranginis has in himself. He had 12 assists to just five turnovers, so he’s capable of running the offense, but he averaged just 6.3 per game. That’s not gonna cut it.

I didn’t like that Gonzaga blew a 21-point lead to UConn, and neither did Few. “I’m disappointed in the way we finished that game,” he said. “We’ve got to have guys step up and make shots at the end of these games, and we can’t be afraid to defend because we’re worried about fouling. We were fantastic on the defensive end, but then we just got really out of sorts and tentative.”

Otherwise, I noted two other areas of concern. The first is that this team is not very adept at stopping dribble penetration, which is why UConn was able to outscore the Zags in the paint, 48–34. Moreover, it is clear that the three best players on this team are Wiltjer, 7’1” senior center Przemek Karnowski and 6’11” sophomore center Domantas Sabonis, but Few rarely plays those three together because they get in each other’s way. How often do you see a situation where only two of the team’s best three players can be on the court at the same time?
  • cggonzaga
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Pretty good assessment.

The first is that this team is not very adept at stopping dribble penetration, which is why UConn was able to outscore the Zags in the paint, 48–34.
    Don't agree with this at all. Maybe the last 5 minutes of the UConn game but otherwise our perimeter defense was very good all tournament.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

For Seth, a surprisingly spot on analysis.

Comment

• CdAZagFan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2013

I'd have to watch that A&M game again, but thought Wiltjer was open for a brief moment in the corner but Melson turned away from him (Seth said Wiltjer "elected to pass")? I was hoping Wiltjer would get the ball - I think he would have hunted his shot...

Comment

• Hoopaholic
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by CdAZagFan View Post
          I'd have to watch that A&M game again, but thought Wiltjer was open for a brief moment in the corner but Melson turned away from him (Seth said Wiltjer "elected to pass")? I was hoping Wiltjer would get the ball - I think he would have hunted his shot...
          he got the ball on wing and tried back down two or three dribbles then passed it back out to the top
          The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
            Banned
            • Feb 2007

Any assessment of the A&M game that doesn't mention missed ft's is an incomplete one. Make two more ft's and we win that game. Occums Razor

Comment

• rawkmandale
              Banned
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
              Any assessment of the A&M game that doesn't mention missed ft's is an incomplete one. Make two more ft's and we win that game. Occums Razor
              That's a great point

Comment

• CdAZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                he got the ball on wing and tried back down two or three dribbles then passed it back out to the top
                Just went back and rewatched those last few possessions... Wiltjer didn't touch it on the last possession that resulted in Melson's errant shot (went from KD to Perkins to Melson). He did touch it the possession before that and passed off to Perkins who turned it over.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by CdAZagFan View Post
                  Just went back and rewatched those last few possessions... Wiltjer didn't touch it on the last possession that resulted in Melson's errant shot (went from KD to Perkins to Melson). He did touch it the possession before that and passed off to Perkins who turned it over.
                  ok...had the last two backwards.....
                  The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• MDABE80
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Forgetting to mention Dranginis' rebounding is a sin. 6.3 ppg is fine if he rebounds like he did and put up so many assist. It did look to me that Kyle turned the ball over more than 5 times.
                    No mention of DOmas and foul trouble. I f Few keeps DOmas out of stupid fould, he'll and WE will be fine. I do think those 3 main guards ( KD, DMAC and Perks) will develop nicely as we move through the season.

Comment

• GeorgiaZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                      ...We went 4 for 11 ....and how many of those were the front end of a 1 and 1? We cold have easily had 5 or 6 more points from the line
                      It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Comment

• ZagaZags
                        Banned
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
                        ...We went 4 for 11 ....and how many of those were the front end of a 1 and 1? We cold have easily had 5 or 6 more points from the line
                        THIS!

Comment

• Reborn
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                          Pretty good assessment.

Don't agree with this at all. Maybe the last 5 minutes of the UConn game but otherwise our perimeter defense was very good all tournament.
                          I agree with both you and Seth Davis, cggonzaga. Both Texas A&M and UCONN did nothing but drive to the basket and get fouled in the last five minutes of the game. Against UCONN Mark Few finally went to a zone (I kept yelling at him through my TV to go zone. I wonder if he heard me?) for the last couple of minutes. The team, at times, does seem to have trouble stopping dribble penetration. When I rewatched the game I began to wonder if all that traveling finally caught up with the Zags. They looked tired, and that would certainly be one reason that they could not stop the dribble penetration. Kyle Wiltjer especially looked tired. He couldn't even jump, and Few had to take him out of the game for the two most important minutes of the game. Wiltjer also looked tired at the end of the A&M game.
                          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Bogozags
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                            I agree with both you and Seth Davis, cggonzaga. Both Texas A&M and UCONN did nothing but drive to the basket and get fouled in the last five minutes of the game. Against UCONN Mark Few finally went to a zone (I kept yelling at him through my TV to go zone. I wonder if he heard me?) for the last couple of minutes. The team, at times, does seem to have trouble stopping dribble penetration. When I rewatched the game I began to wonder if all that traveling finally caught up with the Zags. They looked tired, and that would certainly be one reason that they could not stop the dribble penetration. Kyle Wiltjer especially looked tired. He couldn't even jump, and Few had to take him out of the game for the two most important minutes of the game. Wiltjer also looked tired at the end of the A&M game.
                            Reborn,

If memory serves, guards driving to the basket has been a continuing weakness of ours. If you remember the AZ and Duke games, that is all the guards did...they got a pick around the elbow and then continued to the basket and made the basket and/or they were fouled and went to the line...that is a weakness most all teams have...in fact, Duke could not contain the UK guards either...

To combat this type of offense our pick & roll defense must improve or we need to play more zone or the officials have to call those picks more closely then they already are...

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2007

Yup. Way to much over analyzing on why we lost that game; look at the box score: missed ft's, nothing more, nothing less.
                              Originally posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X