PDA

View Full Version : How about a thread about YOUR FAVORITE WSU STORY

Reborn
11-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Since this may be the last time we play WSU in awhile, it might be nice to share some of your favorite stories about this wonderful rivalry over the years.

Mine is in 1968, my Sophomore season, and we were playing at WSU in Pullman. After the game coach Marv Harshman came onto our bus to talk to me. He told me, in front of the team, that his biggest mistake was not offering me a scholarship. Wow!!! That made me feel great because back in those days WSU had really good teams...second only in Pac 8 to UCLA who had Lou Alcinder. Also Yakima had two really good players on their team, guys who I played with a lot during the summers at the YMCA, Ted Wiremen and Lenny Allan. Also Ray Stein, from Richland, was on that team. I really liked Stein. Harshman later went on to be a great coach at UW.

hondo
11-30-2015, 01:33 PM
I remember all those Cougs well, all excellent players. A bit later Dennis Hogg played for WSU and then Under George Raveling Stuart House played for them. As I was watching the Zags play Texas A&M last week I could not help but wonder if their House and Hogg were possibly grandchildren of the former WSU players.

zag67
11-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Mine is a non basketball story. In 1966-67 season we played WSU in Spokane at the Kennel. Some friends in my graduating class of 1967, took a truck to Pullman a day before the game. They stole the real cougar and brought it back to Spokane. They had planned on bringing it into the game and parade it around the court. The president caught them outside the gym and said if they did, they would not graduate. But it was a great story about how they did it.

gu03alum
11-30-2015, 02:50 PM
I remember sitting in front of the cougar fans at the MAC 6 or 7 years ago. They had to have been some of the dumbest, most obnoxious fans I have ever been around. I have been to quite a few football games over the years in Pullman and the same holds true of many of their football fans. I was at an Apple Cup one year when I was around 14 or 15 years old and these drunk Cougar fans started cursing, yelling, and pushing my dad and I around. We were wearing UW stuff, but we weren't cheering out of respect of those around us.

Zagdawg
11-30-2015, 02:54 PM
Gu03alum---may be related to the busload of husky fans that came over to Pullman a few years ago and started a cute chant for the Cougars....."Where's your mens team?" was being chanted as they proceeded to blow out the Cougars in Pullman.

Coug Tracks
11-30-2015, 03:16 PM
Zawg fans, arrogance is bliss.

kclubfounder
11-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Agony: Mid December, 1983 at the Spokane Arena. John Stockton has a remarkable 2nd half, playing with 4 fouls the entire time, and Gonzaga comes back from about a 20 point halftime deficit to take a 1 point lead with about 10 seconds left (on an old fashioned 3 point play by John). Then WSU makes an impossible fade-away freak jumper from the corner as time expires to win the F'ing game.

Ecstasy: Late December, 1983 at the Far West Classic in Spokane. We exercise the demons and beat the Cougs by 1. Stockton has another remarkable game.

I HATE that this rivalry is taking a hiatus, but I've made my feelings known in another thread so I won't go on and on this time.

Reborn
11-30-2015, 04:40 PM
Some good stories, guys. Keep 'em rollin. Would like to hear how you guys did get that Cougar away form WSU campus....please??????? Great story by John Stockton. I can't hear enough stories about John.

Birddog
11-30-2015, 04:40 PM
Mine is a non basketball story. In 1966-67 season we played WSU in Spokane at the Kennel. Some friends in my graduating class of 1967, took a truck to Pullman a day before the game. They stole the real cougar and brought it back to Spokane. They had planned on bringing it into the game and parade it around the court. The president caught them outside the gym and said if they did, they would not graduate. But it was a great story about how they did it.

That actually occurred in 1965 and was done prior to the first game in Kennedy Pavilion. Upan8th who occasionally posts here was one of the perps. Butch was on display outside IIRC.

Rangerzag
11-30-2015, 08:25 PM
From looking in the record book it must have been in 1973, with some friends, I managed to get a spot on what most likely was a Bea House bus to the Wazzu basketball game in Pullman.

The Zag fans were a small bunch in a bleacher behind one of the baskets. The trusty Zags were ahead toward the end of the game and it was looking more and more like the Zags would prevail.

As Reborn related in an earlier post the Cougars had a very strong bball tradition at the time and only UCLA dared hope to win a basketball game in Pullman. Unlike now, the WSU football team was dismall.

As it looked more and more apparent the Zags would win the chant, "Just like football!" from those bleachers grew louder and louder and could be easily be heard because the obvious result had taken the home faithful crowd completely out of the game.

Those Cougar fans were completely upset with us.

Victory that day was extremely sweet.

Reborn
12-01-2015, 04:56 AM
Great story Rangerzag!

Birddog
12-01-2015, 05:23 AM
I've posted this before, but couldn't find it. In the winter of '66, we had a rematch with Wazzu and the chance to avenge our loss in the grand opening of the Kennedy Pavilion. The Spokane Club organized 2 or 3 busloads of students to go to Pullman and watch Lechman and Suter et al try to get even. Each bus had a keg aboard as I recall and the trip was memorable. When we disembarked the bus, Pat Stiley (Spokane Club Prez) handed each student two small wooden blocks that were probably off cuts from the White Pine Sash and Door Co that used to be near the university. Our section was in the "end zone" on the concrete bleachers that they had in old Bohler Gymnasium. The game was tight for awhile and we made a helluva noise with our banging of the wood blocks. We won the game 97 to 82, making for a great 90 mile ride back to campus..

rennis
12-01-2015, 07:14 AM
The OT game in 2002 in which Stepp and Moore combined for 76 points was insane. If that game had been between two blueblood programs that game would still be talked about on TV today

http://espn.go.com/ncb/2002/20021207/recap/GAJWAH.html

ZaGranny
12-01-2015, 10:34 AM
GU at WSU in (I think) 2007 was the first GU game we got to see live (along with Battle in Seattle and Ronald McDonald House at the SPokane arena those were the only games we got to see live for our first few years).

We drove down from Sandpoint and stayed at hotel that had a nice restaurant in the parking lot and offered a shuttle to and from the game. So we had a nice dinner and climbed on the bus. When we got to the arena, we were sitting in an area of mostly Coug fans, but that did not prevent me from being my usual crazy self in the stands. My cheering must have annoyed a man a couple of rows in front of us. Soon every time I yelled de-fense, he would try to out yell me with off-ense! And when I yelled Go Zags, he would respond with Go Cougs! We had quite a contest going. Another fan was watching me yell, and my husband told her I was the same at home with the TV. The Zags eventually lost, but that did not reduce my enjoyment of seeing the Zags in person by much.

Afterwards, we went outside to wait for the shuttle. Unfortunately, Mr. ID had an allergic reaction to dinner--he is allergic to capers which were hidden somewhere in his shrimp scampi. So while we were waiting for the bus, he went behind a large bush and was ill.

All in all a memorable trip to Pullman.

ZaGranny

Zagger
12-01-2015, 10:51 AM
I wasn't much of a bb fan back then but I spent 70-74 getting a Geology degree from Wazzu. One of my best pals was good pals with one of our cheer leaders who was going with one of the Coug BB players. She talked us into making B-U-L-L S-H-I-T letters for the UCLA game our Senior year ('74). There were 8 of us and we each had a BIG letter. We stood up with our letters on just about every occasion that could remotely piss off UCLA. Bill Walton was a senior and the score ended up UCLA 55 - Cougs 45. We liked to think our cheers (sneers) helped keep the score low!