PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Washington St...Predictions and What You Hope To See

Reborn
11-30-2015, 11:54 AM
Gonzaga 83
WSU 62

I have heard that this series will not be continued after this year. Pretty sad. This series goes back a long ways. When I played it was my favorite game of the year because two of their players were also from Yakima and one from Richland. Many wonderful stories about this rivalry have been posted here on GUboards over the years I've been here. Some great stories.

WSU is undefeated so far but have not played any real tough opponents. They beat Northern Arizona by 12.

I am just hoping to see continued improvement each game now. This will be the first true Road Game in the sense of us playing at WSU, and it's a rivalry game still, especially for them. So it's going to be a battle for sure, and GU will need to be ready, and I am sure they will. They all know there is alot of room for improvement, and the guards especially are really battling for minutes on the floor right now.

I hope to see Dranginis to continue to assert himself more offensively now. Hope he becomes a double digit scorer on a regular basis now. I'm also looking for the continued improvement by Melson, as he is one of my favorite players. He's beginning to put it together I think. I'd also like to see Perkins have a good game. Looking for at least 8 three pointers.....

finally but not least let's make some free throws guards!!!

Go Zags!!!

stevet75
11-30-2015, 12:04 PM
I would like to see the Zags make 60%+ of their free throws, 40%+ of their 3 pointers, make 12+ assists and win by 20+. Reborn's score looks about right. I'll say 82 to 60, just to be a little different.

Kiddwell
11-30-2015, 12:05 PM
This's a really good chance for our guards to "work out the kinks." This is an adjust, adjust, adjust game against a very motivated (but not-so-talented) team. So we get a lot of effort from WSU, but not the talent of UConn, A&M, and UWKFC. This game comes in a really good spot in the schedule for our guys to learn from the previous games' mistakes against a better-than-cupcake squad. Playing a cupcake now wouldn't provide the same opportunity for substantive growth in everyone's game.

Expecting many improvements as Perkins works on his "not fouling"; McC gains more and more confidence as the backup PG; etc.

-------
Zags by 15+

:]

BULLDOG#1
11-30-2015, 12:21 PM
I am surprised that folks would pick the zags by such a large margin when the game is being played in Pullman.

cggonzaga
11-30-2015, 12:33 PM
I am surprised that folks would pick the zags by such a large margin when the game is being played in Pullman.

WSU is young and has played a cupcake schedule so far. I wouldn't be surprised if the game was closer but I'll also go with the 20pt win.

BULLDOG#1
11-30-2015, 02:52 PM
WSU is young and has played a cupcake schedule so far. I wouldn't be surprised if the game was closer but I'll also go with the 20pt win.

True. Crazy things seem to happen when these two get together, though.

ZagsGoZags
11-30-2015, 04:27 PM
I hope there are enough zag fans in Pullman wed eve, to affect the 'home game advantage.' I'm driving down with some other guys to make this feel like a zag home game if possible, by using volume cheering. I know in Portland, it seems like half the stands are zag fans, and I am sure that helps our team a little bit

tyra
11-30-2015, 07:12 PM
I expect a decisive win BUT (there's always a but) we should remember that WSU has nothing to lose in this game, they also might be smarting over the cancelled series and playing with even more fire. Just saying.

Goshzagit
11-30-2015, 07:25 PM
Rivalry game. TRUE road game.

WSU has more size than expected.

Frontcourt 7'0", 270. 6'10", 245. 6'10", 220.

They defend pretty well, lead the Pac-12 in blocks.

A couple players who've performed well vs Zags, Ike Irogebu, Que Johnson, etc.

We win by 9.

Young guards in hostile arena.

GeorgiaZagFan
11-30-2015, 08:10 PM
Gonzaga 83
WSU 62

I have heard that this series will not be continued after this year. Pretty sad. This series goes back a long ways. When I played it was my favorite game of the year because two of their players were also from Yakima and one from Richland. Many wonderful stories about this rivalry have been posted here on GUboards over the years I've been here. Some great stories.

WSU is undefeated so far but have not played any real tough opponents. They beat Northern Arizona by 12.

I am just hoping to see continued improvement each game now. This will be the first true Road Game in the sense of us playing at WSU, and it's a rivalry game still, especially for them. So it's going to be a battle for sure, and GU will need to be ready, and I am sure they will. They all know there is alot of room for improvement, and the guards especially are really battling for minutes on the floor right now.

I hope to see Dranginis to continue to assert himself more offensively now. Hope he becomes a double digit scorer on a regular basis now. I'm also looking for the continued improvement by Melson, as he is one of my favorite players. He's beginning to put it together I think. I'd also like to see Perkins have a good game. Looking for at least 8 three pointers.....

finally but not least let's make some free throws guards!!!

Go Zags!!!

...and I want to see the guards go a combined 14 of 15 from the FT line with Perkins a perfect 6 for 6 !!!!!!!

Reborn
12-01-2015, 05:06 AM

I know what you mean, BD#1. I may have overlooked that. These has been a true rivalry and the GU vs WSU game has always been a battle. I remember when Kelly Olynyk had his coming out party his Junior year, after his red-shirt year, and he was a completely different player, and Kevin Pangos saved the game at the buzzer. And then there was the coming out party for Kevin his freshman year when he scored like 33 points. The Zags had gotten a huge lead, and The Cougs made a run at the end of the game and almost caught the Zags. I was at that game, and I was holding my breath at the end. This could be a game where I am way off.

LongIslandZagFan
12-01-2015, 06:46 AM
Cougs 145
Zags 40

Ouch...

https://media.giphy.com/media/PiIUf4kweYVtm/giphy.gif

rennis
12-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Zags by a baker's dozen

willandi
12-01-2015, 07:14 AM
Get a 20 point lead, hold it and win by 20 points or more!

They are big, but are just starting school...and they will be schooled by our bigs.

Like to see FT's at 70% or higher, with the guards at 75%+.

RenoZag
12-01-2015, 08:09 AM
Zags 80
Cougs 68

Would like to see Edwards get some meaningful minutes. You never know when an illness, injury, or foul trouble will strike. Want to see Ryan ready to rock.

Hoping to see a performance closer to the first half of the UCONN game than the second half of the UCONN game.

Zagger
12-01-2015, 10:14 AM
Well, I'm a Coug and a Zag so I don't want the score to be TOO one sided ..... But, I would like to see 100+ pts scored by the Zags w/ at least 30 of those being 3s (minus any by Wiltjer). Being greedy today .... I also want <10 TOs, 5+ steals (by Melson alone) and a $1,000,000 :-)
Back to real world a bit .... Zags 90, Cougs 65
Oh yeah, would like to see continued glue-ness by Drano. Methinks his confidence is up there from last week so I'm hoping for 12+ pts, 2 steals, 5+ assists, and excellent rebounds.
Go Zags!
PS - Took my avatar photo at a past Wazzu vs Zags game in Pullman.

GrizZAG
12-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Cougs will make it interesting. They know it is their last shot at the Zags for a while and will want to bring it and they will. Should be a barn burner.

23dpg
12-01-2015, 07:54 PM
I expect a single digit victory.

Let's say 74-68

jbslicer
12-02-2015, 06:18 AM
Zags win by three. Gonna be a tough one to win.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-02-2015, 07:00 AM
Cougs will make it interesting. They know it is their last shot at the Zags for a while and will want to bring it and they will. Should be a barn burner.

Agreed This is a classic rivalry game that never plays out according to rankings, point spread predictions etc.

First true road game for Zags with players still learning their roles. Cougs have added incentive of 'they don't want to play us anymore' anger/emotion (which their fans will definitely emote). All this could spell trouble for Zags

Pullman is a great place for a young player to Zag Up and surprise us all with a breakout performance....or perhaps KW drops 40 just to remind everyone he's pretty good :-) !!!!!

SunDevilGolfZag
12-02-2015, 07:19 AM
A one or two possession game at the end. I hope we win

ZAG 4 LIFE
12-02-2015, 07:31 AM
I agree with you Devil... Besides being a road game in a place
Where Wazzu - Zag games are typically close
(remember the last one and Pangos runner?)
When you factor in the fact that The Zags have apparently
Pulled the plug on the series for the time being, and that Ernie
Will no doubt use this as added motivation with his players...
I will be very surprised if this is not a 1-2 possession game.

jazzdelmar
12-02-2015, 08:56 AM
Will be close. But Klay isn't walking through that door.

upan8th
12-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Spread has GU 11-12 pt favorite. Take the points. This is a quintessential trap game as: 1) Last home game in the series (last game period between rivals?) 2) Sold out, hostile crowd (think McCarthy center on Udub's last visit there). 3) Highly anticipated showdown w/Uof A looming in three days--Zags looking past Cougs to Saturday's matchup. GU needs to value every position, go inside early, often, and get out front on the scoreboard. Allowing WSU a first half, double digit lead (very possible) will be akin to drinking Hemlock. We won't be coming back.

Zagtana
12-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Agree with upan8th. Trap game if there ever was one. Add to upan's thinking, Zags have spent last few weeks flying around the world, and last week playing three games in three days. That had to wear on the body. Cougs are unbeaten (granted against not the best of opponents) but just the same, at home, and on a roll right now. Add to that, the Cougs likely know that GU is dropping them from their schedule because, as has been reported by some, WSU is not good enough to be on the Zags' schedule. Lots of incentive there. I'm picking GU to win, but Gonzaga better have their game on.

jim77
12-02-2015, 09:50 AM
The Zags need to take care of business...keep cool and execute. Get the "W" and get out of Pullman.

ZenZag
12-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Would like to see Edwards get some meaningful minutes. You never know when an illness, injury, or foul trouble will strike. Want to see Ryan ready to rock.

Yes! I know we have limited minutes for our bigs...but...IMO we need to get Edwards more meaningful time on the floor. Great hands, rebounding, free throws...just needs more game minutes to become a very valuable asset to this team.

Also...would like to see the Perkins With Attitude from the A&M game, the calmer controlled EMac from the UConn game, and the continually maturing Melson. And a large helping of an aggressive Dranginis .

Zagceo
12-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Talent trumps trap games.

Enjoy the hostile environment and may silence ring proud as Zags win big

gonstu
12-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Yes! I know we have limited minutes for our bigs...but...IMO we need to get Edwards more meaningful time on the floor. Great hands, rebounding, free throws...just needs more game minutes to become a very valuable asset to this team.

Who do you propose he steals minutes from: Wiltjer, Sabonis or Mt. Karno?

As of now, Sabonis only playing 23 mpg, Wiltjer 29 mpg, Karno 24 mpg.

I like Edwards too, but his game minutes will be limited to when the BIG3 are in foul trouble or when we're up by 30 - and rightly so. Just not enough minutes to go around.

maynard g krebs
12-02-2015, 12:42 PM
High scoring game; Ernie always pushes tempo, and other than Izundu, Cougs not that good on defense. Giving up 65 a game to low majors; haven't seen any quality competition yet. Zags are competition tested and have had to play the last 3 games at a high level of intensity. Zags 88-75.

bballbeachbum
12-02-2015, 01:17 PM
young guards in true road game that's a rivalry is a good test, so hoping to see that group step up and handle it, continue to take steps and grow like they did in the Atlantis thing.

Zagricultural
12-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Want to see Perkins agressive, and Draino hunting his shot.

TacomaZAG
12-02-2015, 02:22 PM
I hope it's not too much of a trap game................I gave my Coug niece 15 points with the loser buying the winner a beer at the Coug while wearing the opposition's colors. She would look a lot better in ZAG colors than I would in crimson and gray.

Hope the guys get this done or I may not ever hear the end of it.

Go ZAGS

Reborn
12-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Even after reading all of the caucious predictions, I'm sticking with my prediction, 20 point victory. I think our guards are going to "tear it up." 10 3 pointers tonight. Melson with 17 points, Perk with a dozen and EMAC with 10, Draino chips in for 9. Double team our bigs and you WILL pay for it.

Go Zags!!!

raise the zag
12-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Watched some tape of 2 of their game and this just in...

Might be WSU's best defensive team in a decade.

They give up some easy buckets on breakdowns, but they have personnel & size they haven't had in some time.

They block a ton of shots.

Perimeter defense is athletic but not swarming.

It's their size in the paint and some athletic bigs that allow them to gamble.

They held all 4 of their opponents under 70.

We have the ability to defend them, but they look to have the ability to defend us.

Something has to give...

Combine the fact it's our first true road game, a big game vs Zona on Saturday, this has the making of a barn-burner.

WSU players & fans will be fired up over us firing them.

U Zig, I Zag
12-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Family lousy with Cougs. Some current students in Pullman. Not a one has even brought it up. May be a packed house, but like years past, not a lot of fans from game to game.

Reborn
12-02-2015, 09:43 PM
This was probably my worst prediction ever. I am getting older. You can tell. I mean, when was the last time the Zags beat the Cougars by 20? I'm glad there are a lot of younger bloggers here. Way to go you guys...Way to keep it all in perspective. Cougars were tough.

mgadfly
12-02-2015, 11:03 PM
Rivalry game. TRUE road game.

WSU has more size than expected.

Frontcourt 7'0", 270. 6'10", 245. 6'10", 220.

They defend pretty well, lead the Pac-12 in blocks.

A couple players who've performed well vs Zags, Ike Irogebu, Que Johnson, etc.

We win by 9.

Young guards in hostile arena.

Did you cheat? Own a time machine?

Reborn
12-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Did you cheat? Own a time machine?

ditto