PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought about our guards

ProjectMKUltra5
11-29-2015, 12:23 PM
Here's the combined shooting percentage for the top four guards of each team we played in Atlantis. I used the three starters and the first guard off the bench for each team.

Washington: Andrew Andrews, Dejonte Murray, Noah Dickerson, David Crisp

27.7% (15-54) from the field
14.9% (2-14) from three
Andrew Andrews and Dejonte Murray combined to shoot 29.7% (11-37)

Texas A&M: Danuel House, Anthony Collins, Alex Caruso, Jalen Jones
38.7% (12-31) from the field
25% (2-8) from three
After House went 5-6 in the first half, Dranginis was switched onto him in the 2nd and House proceeded to go 1-3 and 0-1 from three. Completely ineffective that 2nd half.

UCONN: Sterling Gibbs, Rodney Purvis, Daniel Hamilton, Jalen Adams
33.3% (14-42) from the field
9% (1-11) from three
Daniel Hamilton and Rodney Purvis combined to shoot 32% (8-25) from the field

Another thing that I found interesting was that the three opposing PGs, Andrew Andrews (UW), Anthony Collins (A&M), and Sterling Gibbs (UCONN), combined to shoot a horrid 21.1% (7-33) from the field.

Just something to chew on for those who keep saying our guards aren't "living up to expectations" or "need more time."

MTZag03
11-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Nice post. Wonder how those guards you mentioned played against other teams. Too sick right now to look that up and post it. :vomit-smiley-007:

RenoZag
11-29-2015, 12:36 PM
The stats for our quartet, MKUltra, for the 3 games in the Bahamas:

Perkins, McClellan, Melson, Dranginis Aggregate:

31/79 (39.2%) from the field

13/34 (38.2%) 3PT FG

17/34 (50%) Free Throws.

Individual Breakout:

Perkins: 9/16 FGM-A; 4/8 3PM-A; 5/12 FTM-A

McClellan: 9/23 FGM-A; 2/6 3PM-A; 5/10 FTM-A

Melson: 6/23 FGM-A; 4/12 3PM-A; 5/6 FTM-A

Dranginis: 7/17 FGM-A; 3/8 3PM-A; 2/6 FTM-A

Outraged
11-29-2015, 12:42 PM
Our Guards are much better than the negativity suggest. Our defense is the best I've seen from our guards. I would also say this is the best 3pt or shooting group I've seen in a while and one of the best to the basket. The nice thing is we,'re a long way from PeKing.

GrizZAG
11-29-2015, 01:27 PM
Great insight OP

willandi
11-29-2015, 01:45 PM
From a previous thread:

Professional Zag Fan
Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
Meh. There were also people worried about the Washington game (which I don't understand). Zags have the ability to roll this team and stay up with a big lead.
Posted this in the official game thread, yet here are A&M's stats this season.

After 5 games:

- Ranked 8th nationally in points per game.

- Ranked 3rd nationally in effective field goal %.

- Ranked 10th nationally in 3P% (45%).

- Ranked 3rd nationally in assists per game.

- Ranked 40th nationally in assists to turnover ratio.

I don't care if they played NAIA teams all season, the #'s are still telling…they can shoot, pass, take care of the ball, and 3pt snipers. Gulp.

Interestingly, A&M features more ESPN Top-100 recruits on their team than UW! I was floored by that alone, not to mention their leading scorer is a 6'7" WING, and their 2nd leading scorer is a 6'10", 270 lb Tim Duncan looking CENTER!

They are capable of drawing fouls, playing big on the inside, using their size advantage on perimeter, and hit 3pt shots.

I'd rather be playing Arizona than A&M, to be honest.

A&M is predicted to finish 1st or 2nd in SEC depending on who you ask.
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
Zag for Life
Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
Both Greenberg and Williams are picking A&M.
Their guards are awfully quick and House is going to be a handful...we are going to have to play awfully good to have a positive outcome. If our guards don't shoot well, then A&M will sag and take the post opportunities away from us...

I think we have the better team but that doesn't always translates into winning...

I like our chances because of our coaching staff and senior experience...

I also think we won't have as many fouls called on us...just have to make sure our screens are set...

A&M will have foul issues today...
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Outraged
11-29-2015, 03:55 PM
Also 3rd national ly in opponents effective fg%.

Not to shabby. The only problem I see statistically is ft%.

kitzbuel
11-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Good to see that there is some underlying statistical support for my confidence in our gradual back court improvement. I still believe that our back court will be a strength by the end of the year.

ProjectMKUltra5
11-29-2015, 05:12 PM

13/34 (38.2%) 3PT FG

17/34 (50%) Free Throws.

Individual Breakout:

Doesn't really matter if we keep playing defense the way we have been. Not the "GU way" but highly effective nonetheless.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-29-2015, 05:35 PM
Good to see that there is some underlying statistical support for my confidence in our gradual back court improvement. I still believe that our back court will be a strength by the end of the year.

Yeah, the defensive ability is a very nice starting point for our backcourt. As they say, some nights shots don't fall but the defensive intensity is something you can control every night.

Our guards will continue to improve offensively: feeding the post, protecting the ball, running end-of-half/game plays, taking good shots etc.

Our guard play will improve over the course of the season as long as the WCC competition (and what one would hope will be some easy, blowout wins) does not give our guards a false sense of security and lessening of defensive focus/intensity.

Hoopaholic
11-29-2015, 05:36 PM

13/34 (38.2%) 3PT FG

17/34 (50%) Free Throws.

Individual Breakout:

May I ask why you left Alberto out of this guard stat analysis but included Draino.....they blame same position just trying understand the logic?

ZagLawGrad
11-29-2015, 05:39 PM

13/34 (38.2%) 3PT FG

17/34 (50%) Free Throws.

Individual Breakout:

Lots of room for improvement. Hopefully we see steady improvement. 50% FT shooting from guards is a recipe for bad things.

RenoZag
11-29-2015, 06:42 PM
May I ask why you left Alberto out of this guard stat analysis but included Draino.....they blame same position just trying understand the logic?

Hoopaholic:

MKUltra indicated in the OP he checked the three starters and the first off the bench when he looked at the Zag opponents in the Bahamas. I tried to follow suit. Perkins, Emac, and Dranginis started. Melson got the lion's share of the "first off the bench" minutes: In three games, the box scores show he totaled 70 minutes; Alberts had 22 minutes, so I used Mr. Melson as the 'first off the bench' fourth guard.

MDABE80
11-29-2015, 10:33 PM
Defense............wins...........games;)

maynard g krebs
11-29-2015, 11:00 PM
The Zags now lead the nation in 3 point fg% defense at 21.4%.

krozman
11-29-2015, 11:00 PM
I don't think in terms of comparing the guards in this tournament, because this tournament isn't why we care. We care because we want good guard play in March en route to a final 4 opportunity. Nobody else in this tournament is in that conversation like Gonzaga is, which is why our guards will be held to that final 4 standard, fairly or unfairly. I think it's fair to say that "today" we don't have guards that can take us there. I know these guards will be fantastic in 2 years. The question, today, is whether they can be good enough at the end of this season to make this team what we want it to be. I, for one, will be excited to see how they improve.

bigblahla
11-30-2015, 04:53 AM
I don't think in terms of comparing the guards in this tournament, because this tournament isn't why we care. We care because we want good guard play in March en route to a final 4 opportunity. Nobody else in this tournament is in that conversation like Gonzaga is, which is why our guards will be held to that final 4 standard, fairly or unfairly. I think it's fair to say that "today" we don't have guards that can take us there. I know these guards will be fantastic in 2 years. The question, today, is whether they can be good enough at the end of this season to make this team what we want it to be. I, for one, will be excited to see how they improve.

Nice post...

Go!! Zags!!

cjm720
11-30-2015, 06:18 AM
I loved the improvement in our guard play. Free throws, though!!! I think we will see a different guard step up nearly every game.

This is already one of my favorite teams....the big 3, young stars in the making, senior KD....Few continues to evolve and the components of this team are special, can the whole team be? It is going to be scintillating to see it unfold.

TexasZagFan
11-30-2015, 06:23 AM
Defense............wins...........games;)

...except when you shoot 4-11 from the line, including missing the front end of the 1 & 1 several times.

This will be a Zag team with a bit more of an edge to it than previous years. Sam, Gary, and Kevin had the fire, but they kept it under wraps. I'm not saying it will be a 180 from prior years, but we know this is a slightly more athletic team, and plenty of room to grow.

TexasZagFan
11-30-2015, 06:26 AM
The Zags now lead the nation in 3 point fg% defense at 21.4%.

Our opponents in the WCC have no idea what's coming their way in a few weeks. This is a different Zag team than what they've been used to. It's not a better team at this stage, but we're nowhere near the ceiling for this squad.

SWZag
11-30-2015, 06:54 AM
Rebounds per Game

Dranginis: 6.2
Perkins: 3.0
Melson: 3.6
Alberts: 1.4
McClellan: 2.8
Total: 17

Steals per Game

Dranginis: 1.0
Perkins: 1.6
Melson: 0.8
Alberts: 0.4
McClellan: 0.8
Total: 4.6

Blocks per Game

Dranginis: 0.4
Perkins: 0.0
Melson: 0.2
Alberts: 0.0
McClellan: 0.2
Total: 0.8

ProjectMKUltra5
11-30-2015, 08:08 AM
Hoopaholic:

MKUltra indicated in the OP he checked the three starters and the first off the bench when he looked at the Zag opponents in the Bahamas. I tried to follow suit. Perkins, Emac, and Dranginis started. Melson got the lion's share of the "first off the bench" minutes: In three games, the box scores show he totaled 70 minutes; Alberts had 22 minutes, so I used Mr. Melson as the 'first off the bench' fourth guard.

This. I just went with the 4 guys who got the bulk of the minutes.

ProjectMKUltra5
11-30-2015, 08:09 AM
Rebounds per Game

Dranginis: 6.2
Perkins: 3.0
Melson: 3.6
Alberts: 1.4
McClellan: 2.8
Total: 17

Steals per Game

Dranginis: 1.0
Perkins: 1.6
Melson: 0.8
Alberts: 0.4
McClellan: 0.8
Total: 4.6

Blocks per Game

Dranginis: 0.4
Perkins: 0.0
Melson: 0.2
Alberts: 0.0
McClellan: 0.2
Total: 0.8

Nobody will beat us on the boards if our guards can rebound like that all season

mgadfly
11-30-2015, 08:41 AM
According to Ken Pomeroy we are holding opponents to 21.4% on three point shooting which is #1 in the country. How many times over the past 15 years have we had people complain about our perimeter defense and mediocre three point defense. If the early games are any indication, the length of our guards may pay off a little here. However, our turnover percentage (256th) is pretty bad and we are 324th in free throw defense (teams converting on over 75% of their attempts). Maybe we should practice smack talk to get guys off their game when they are at the free throw line.

Hoopaholic
11-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Hoopaholic:

ahhh makes sense.....

Hoopaholic
11-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Nobody will beat us on the boards if our guards can rebound like that all season

these are awesome numbers for guards.....clean up shot selection and turnovers and we are looking at a very very good chance of playing the final weekend of college basketball IMO

MDABE80
11-30-2015, 09:10 AM
...except when you shoot 4-11 from the line, including missing the front end of the 1 & 1 several times.

This will be a Zag team with a bit more of an edge to it than previous years. Sam, Gary, and Kevin had the fire, but they kept it under wraps. I'm not saying it will be a 180 from prior years, but we know this is a slightly more athletic team, and plenty of room to grow.
NO...that's exactly when Defense wins. When the offense can't find a basket, Defense STILL wins.
Taken to it's absurd conclusion if the offense provided ZERO, nothing works......or when the team never leaves the airport, nothing will win a game.

In general though, defense is the one controllable item. Offense, when it's erratic ( ie 4/11), ............and you know the rest.

Zaga
11-30-2015, 10:09 AM

Exactly!

MTZag03
11-30-2015, 11:10 AM
According to Ken Pomeroy we are holding opponents to 21.4% on three point shooting which is #1 in the country. How many times over the past 15 years have we had people complain about our perimeter defense and mediocre three point defense. If the early games are any indication, the length of our guards may pay off a little here. However, our turnover percentage (256th) is pretty bad and we are 324th in free throw defense (teams converting on over 75% of their attempts). Maybe we should practice smack talk to get guys off their game when they are at the free throw line.

So good 3 point defense that surrenders the dribble drive? That's how I read the freethrow stat.

cggonzaga
11-30-2015, 11:33 AM
So good 3 point defense that surrenders the dribble drive? That's how I read the freethrow stat.

Not how I read it. That's just showing the percentage teams are shooting against us. I wonder where we rank on free throw attemtps against. I'd imagine we're at least middle of the pack if not better.

mgadfly
11-30-2015, 11:41 AM

Just so my ken pom reference is clear, the 324th in FT D is the percentage the opposing teams are making their free-throw attempts.

24.1% of opposing teams' points are being scored by FT. Which is 73rd for the largest percentage of opposing offense by FT.

MTZag03
11-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Ah okay. That looks much better. Maybe we need our own curtain of distraction like gimmick.