11-29-2015, 11:57 AM
WCC squads in action today:

Delaware St. @ San Francisco
Montana @ Pepperdine
BC vs. Santa Clara
CS Bakersfield @ Saint Mary's
Pacific @ Sacramento St.

Elsewhere:

Michigan State & Providence square off @ 7:00pm PST on ESPN2.

seacatfan
11-29-2015, 03:20 PM
Arizona beat Boise St. for the 2nd time this year, 68-59. Much less than an offensive showcase than the first meeting based on the score, I didn't get to watch the game today. BSU fell to 3-4 I think, but they have a pair of losses to UA and also lost to Michigan St., who is playing as good as anybody in the country early on. BSU should be okay if they can survive the OOC and get to conference play.

Birddog
11-29-2015, 03:41 PM
Arizona beat Boise St. for the 2nd time this year, 68-59. Much less than an offensive showcase than the first meeting based on the score, I didn't get to watch the game today. BSU fell to 3-4 I think, but they have a pair of losses to UA and also lost to Michigan St., who is playing as good as anybody in the country early on. BSU should be okay if they can survive the OOC and get to conference play.

Oddity: another ex Zag coach has faced the same team twice and lost both this year. Monson and his Long Beach squad has lost twice to Oklahoma St.
Double oddity: Okla St has ex Zag coach Bill Grier on it's staff.

RenoZag
11-29-2015, 03:42 PM
San Francisco wins by 20. Devon Watson had a nice game: 18 pts, 5 rebs, 7 Asst

Oklahoma 65, Wisconsin 48
Iowa 84, Wichita State 61
Xavier 90, Dayton 61

Xavier vs. Cinn on 12/12 might be a meeting of unbeaten teams if they keep up their hot starts.

SMU 77, Brown 69

seacatfan
11-29-2015, 04:32 PM
San Francisco wins by 20. Devon Watson had a nice game: 18 pts, 5 rebs, 7 Asst

Oklahoma 65, Wisconsin 48
Iowa 84, Wichita State 61
Xavier 90, Dayton 61

Xavier vs. Dayton on 12/2 might be a meeting of unbeaten teams if they keep up their hot starts.

SMU 77, Brown 69

Xavier vs. who on 12/2? Since they just beat Dayton today then UD can't be unbeaten on a future date.

Wisconsin is struggling this year. Doesn't hurt my feelings one bit. It will take me quite a while to get over them beating Arizona 2 years in a row in the Tourney. Life is a bit harder without Big Frank (and Dekker).

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Ryan Spangler had a nice stat line in the Oklahoma win over Wisconsin.

20 points. 14 rebounds. 7-9 from the field. 4-4 on free throws. Throw in an assist and a block with no turnovers.

23dpg
11-29-2015, 04:51 PM
Santa Clara is leading Boston College 50-30 with about 10 minutes to go in the game. SC is worst kind of scary team. They obviously have talent that when motivated, can give good teams a tough game, yet their record is horrible and A loss to them will look worse than it is.

Life in the WCC.

RenoZag
11-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Xavier vs. who on 12/2? Since they just beat Dayton today then UD can't be unbeaten on a future date.

Whoops. . .

willandi
11-29-2015, 05:45 PM
4-5 WCC wins. Pacific tied at the half!

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Santa Clara is leading Boston College 50-30 with about 10 minutes to go in the game. SC is worst kind of scary team. They obviously have talent that when motivated, can give good teams a tough game, yet their record is horrible and A loss to them will look worse than it is.

Life in the WCC.
In past years, teams like Santa Clara that had ONE really good, scoring guard would scare me. I don't worry about that type of team or player team with this lineup of Zag defenders. EMac, Perkins, and Melson will probably take turns chasing him off of the three-point line and his drives into the paint will be blocked by Sabonis and Karnowski. The Broncos will not challenge the Zags.

willandi
11-29-2015, 06:42 PM
Pacific loses. Only road game of the 5 WCC today, and it was at Big Sky, and I assume local rivalry, Sacramento State.

sittingon50
11-29-2015, 06:52 PM
PEP 69
Griz 63

UCLA 77
CSN 45

Sac St. 79
Pacific 71

SCU 62
BC 45

SMC 94
CS Bakersfield 59

hondo
11-29-2015, 07:38 PM
Santa Clara gets a win and its not as you might expect. Brownridge goes 1-7 from 3 point land and has a total of 9 points after putting up 15 shots. Strange team but scary as is St. Mary's. Randy Bennett is one hell of a coach--the Gaels were expected to have a big fall off this year. So far I don't see it.

RenoZag
11-29-2015, 09:29 PM
MSU 77, PROV 64

Nevada Don
11-29-2015, 10:10 PM
Strange team but scary as is St. Mary's. Randy Bennett is one hell of a coach--the Gaels were expects to have a big fall off this year. So far I don't see it.

Gaels shot 61% tonight and also 50% (11 of 22) from 3 pt. land to go along with 22 assists.

maynard g krebs
11-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Naar and Rahon are combining for 13 assists and 3.something turmovers per, and Naar is making 60% of his 3's and looking like all WCC. They are near the top of the NCAA list in just about every offensive category. Great shooting and passing team. The rumored demise of the Gaels won't happen until Bennett moves on or retires.

Nevada Don
11-30-2015, 02:23 AM
Naar and Rahon are combining for 13 assists and 3.something turmovers per, and Naar is making 60% of his 3's and looking like all WCC. They are near the top of the NCAA list in just about every offensive category. Great shooting and passing team. The rumored demise of the Gaels won't happen until Bennett moves on or retires.

And they suit up a guy named "Krebs" (Tanner---6'6" Aussie Guard) who was probably the most notable recruit but now a likely red shirt.

john montana
11-30-2015, 09:24 AM

But who have they played? 4-0, all blowout wins a home. Granted, they played stanford (at home) but Stanford is already 3-3...not exactly upper tier this year based on what I've seen. The rest of their non conference schedule consists of 4 more patsies at home and one road game against Cal. Whoops...they also have a big time showdown (at home) against Utah Valley on Dec. 28th.

I am not an SMC basher by any means. They always play smart, tough ball but their scheduling continues to be a joke. Bennett won't leave their two car garage and schedules as many guaranteed wins as possible...I just can't get over it. They've missed the tournament as a direct result of their scheduling more than once with teams that were absolutely good enough to get an at large. I actually enjoy watching them play (when they aren't playing GU) but I don't want to watch them beat up on another crummy team on their home floor.

This year...who knows. hard to say how good they really are until we see them play Cal.

soccerdud
11-30-2015, 01:14 PM
bennett deserves much credit for the way he coaches, and much flak for the way he schedules. i will happily continue to give him both.

jazzdelmar
11-30-2015, 01:21 PM
Randy is a personal friend but I give him both great credit as a coach and great criticism for the way he schedules.

john montana
11-30-2015, 01:30 PM
100% agree Soccerdud and Jazz. Let's not make it a habit Jazz...just kidding.

Nevada Don
11-30-2015, 03:42 PM
But who have they played? 4-0, all blowout wins a home. Granted, they played stanford (at home) but Stanford is already 3-3...not exactly upper tier this year based on what I've seen. The rest of their non conference schedule consists of 4 more patsies at home and one road game against Cal. Whoops...they also have a big time showdown (at home) against Utah Valley on Dec. 28th.

I am not an SMC basher by any means. They always play smart, tough ball but their scheduling continues to be a joke. Bennett won't leave their two car garage and schedules as many guaranteed wins as possible...I just can't get over it. They've missed the tournament as a direct result of their scheduling more than once with teams that were absolutely good enough to get an at large. I actually enjoy watching them play (when they aren't playing GU) but I don't want to watch them beat up on another crummy team on their home floor.

This year...who knows. hard to say how good they really are until we see them play Cal.

I agree with you as I am not a fan of their scheduling either. Never have been.

But your basic question, "who have they played" ? Not so much so far but as you mentioned they were all blowouts. Bennett was finally able to get Cal and Stanford to play the Gaels. Stanford was projected as a mid tier Pac-12 team who I believe lost their best player after RB had scheduled them. Cal with their 5 Star recruits was ranked maybe 14th nationally this year? Scheduled them. We got UC Davis this week who won the league last year and after that in comes a strong UC Irvine the favorite to win their conference this year. It's not Arizona or Pitt but its not trash either.

Also I'll mention that SMC historically played in tougher games in the Holiday tournaments. We weren't able to do that last year or this year. The NCAA had some restrictions against the Gaels...because...we cheated apparently. And don't forget, GU doesn't have to face a perennial Top 20 team 3 times a year, oh wait SMC does as somebody makes us play Gonzaga every year :D

So who have we played and are we any good? I think the Gaels are #1 in Field Goal Percentage in D-1 and are at the Top in multiple offensive and defensive categories including 3 pt. pct and assists. Poor competition, perhaps, but I guess we'll see fairly soon. Regardless, its been a lot of fun and very exciting so far.

Go Gaels---Go Zags !!!

maynard g krebs
11-30-2015, 10:56 PM
But who have they played? 4-0, all blowout wins a home.

Before the ATM game, I posted some of ATM's offensive stats- assists, shooting %, etc. Someone pointed out in the next post that they hadn't played anyone yet. I said just the numbers are reason to be concerned about them.

I merely pointed out that SMC is playing good basketball, regardless of who it's against. I watched the Stanford game, and was impressed with SMC's play. And yes, I know that Stanford isn't good.

A few SMC rankings:
1 in fg % 56.1
31 in scoring 85.3
9 in assists 20.3
6 in a/to ratio 1.88
7 in rebound margin +14.3
7 in scoring margin +25.5
18 in 3 pt % 42.6

As I said about ATM before that game, the numbers are impressive regardless of who you've played. At the moment, SMC has a better offensive backcourt than the Zags do. And that makes it a dangerous matchup, even with the Zags' advantage inside.

jazzdelmar
12-01-2015, 04:04 AM
Stanford stinks. I wonder if Reid Travis/Travis Reid regrets his decision. Plays 34 mins a game but is 42% from line. Ouch. Would fit right in. :)