PDA

View Full Version : Bahamas Takeaways

CDC84
11-27-2015, 12:05 PM
1) Texas A&M was a missed opportunity for GU. How many games is Sabonis going to foul out with only 2 points? If he goes for 10 and 8 - an average game - they beat A&M. He sometimes allows frustration to get the best of him, and then it's all down hill from there. Same thing happened to him a couple of games last season. Like BZ, I still feel GU was the best team in this field. They just didn't get the job done against A&M, who I think is a very good team who could end up in the second weekend of the NCAA's.

2) The guards improved with each game in this tournament. They only committed 4 turnovers today. The light bulb may have gone off with Josh - he's hunting out his offense. But he picks up too many unnecessary cheap fouls. Needs to get his foul shooting together as well. It killed GU against A&M. I'm hopeful.

3) Wiltjer didn't take a shot in the final 7 minutes against A&M, and the guards didn't do a good enough job of looking for him when the game got tight today. He's GU's biggest weapon, and the guy you want taking the big shots. Or maybe KW is just not assertive enough in demanding the ball? The guards need to understand what their bread and butter is. It's KW and the other two frontcourt guys. That being said, I do like some of the fearlessness that the GU guards showed.

4) Dranginis held Daniel Hamilion to 5-16 shooting, McClellan held Rod Purvis to 3-9 shooting. House put 19 on them yesterday, but at least half of those points were athletic circus shots. This is the best perimeter defensive team I've seen under Few. I knew it would be at the start of the year. No guard stands shorter than 6-3. McClellan and Dranginis have huge wingspans. McClellan and Melson are athletes. Perkins can guard too, they just have to clean up the touch fouls. And then you have all that height in the middle protecting the rim. My hope is that their defense will keep this team chugging along and allow the guards to keep developing on the offensive end. Few really, really needs to keep preaching defense with this group.

5) Gonzaga's perimeters shot 14/35 from three (40%) throughout the tournament against three high major teams. That's encouraging. That was a big worry of mine going into the season. Hope it continues.

6) Stop fouling three point jump shooters. I can't recall the last game where a GU player hasn't done this.

7) UConn is going to drop out of the top 25, but they will return. Katz feels they could make the second weekend on the NCAA's. They are picked to finish 2nd in the American. Today was a quality win.

8) First true road game coming up on Wednesday against WSU with a home date against Zona to follow on Saturday.

ZagNative
11-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Great post, CDC. Thanks!

zag buddy
11-27-2015, 12:21 PM
You know, over the years I've seen the Zags get a comfortable lead and then play conservatively trying to hold the lead and then just watch the lead dwindle. I don't know if you can take race horses and ask them to slow down until they need to speed up again.
When you are playing full out you have a lot of Adrenalin going and see things a lot quicker than when you say we got this game won now let's slow it down. Just my opinion If it's not broke don't fix it. set a new scoring goal and keep playing hard.

JohnOGU
11-27-2015, 12:22 PM
We can't continue to give/nearly give games away. Especially when we are ahead by 20+ points. That Texas A&M loss stings terribly.

Biggest thing is the freethrows. That is completely inexcusable. The rest will work itself out.

Outraged
11-27-2015, 12:28 PM
I would add free throw shooting was pretty bad.

We need to do a better job of drawing the foul. The other teams seemed to get to double bonus much sooner than us. This changed the flow of the game.

We struggled with the shot clock. We are having trouble wth this rule change.

Zags are a top defensive team

Zag4Hire
11-27-2015, 12:52 PM
1) Texas A&M was a missed opportunity for GU. How many games is Sabonis going to foul out with only 2 points? If he goes for 10 and 8 - an average game - they beat A&M. He sometimes allows frustration to get the best of him, and then it's all down hill from there. Same thing happened to him a couple of games last season. Like BZ, I still feel GU was the best team in this field. They just didn't get the job done against A&M, who I think is a very good team who could end up in the second weekend of the NCAA's.

2) The guards improved with each game in this tournament. They only committed 4 turnovers today. The light bulb may have gone off with Josh - he's hunting out his offense. But he picks up too many unnecessary cheap fouls. Needs to get his foul shooting together as well. It killed GU against A&M. I'm hopeful.

3) Wiltjer didn't take a shot in the final 7 minutes against A&M, and the guards didn't do a good enough job of looking for him when the game got tight today. He's GU's biggest weapon, and the guy you want taking the big shots. Or maybe KW is just not assertive enough in demanding the ball? The guards need to understand what their bread and butter is. It's KW and the other two frontcourt guys. That being said, I do like some of the fearlessness that the GU guards showed.

4) Dranginis held Daniel Hamilion to 5-16 shooting, McClellan held Rod Purvis to 3-9 shooting. House put 19 on them yesterday, but at least half of those points were athletic circus shots. This is the best perimeter defensive team I've seen under Few. I knew it would be at the start of the year. No guard stands shorter than 6-3. McClellan and Dranginis have huge wingspans. McClellan and Melson are athletes. Perkins can guard too, they just have to clean up the touch fouls. And then you have all that height in the middle protecting the rim. My hope is that their defense will keep this team chugging along and allow the guards to keep developing on the offensive end. Few really, really needs to keep preaching defense with this group.

5) Gonzaga's perimeters shot 14/35 from three (40%) throughout the tournament against three high major teams. That's encouraging. That was a big worry of mine going into the season. Hope it continues.

6) Stop fouling three point jump shooters. I can't recall the last game where a GU player hasn't done this.

7) UConn is going to drop out of the top 25, but they will return. Katz feels they could make the second weekend on the NCAA's. They are picked to finish 2nd in the American. Today was a quality win.

8) First true road game coming up on Wednesday against WSU with a home date against Zona to follow on Saturday.

Finally get to watch a game and the result was less than satisfying. That was a long journey from me from just opening my first beverage of the night to watch the Armed Forces Classic pregame and the work call due to recent world events.

1) Free throws...Sweet Moses. I cannot imagine I was the only one who was thinking "Alright, make these and then it is a two possession game. Ugh. Alright well, just make one."

2) Maybe I am wrong but I have no idea what some of those offensive sets were attempting to achieve. It seemed like most of the successful offensive attempts were completed due to improvisation. The wheel at the top to chew up 10 seconds, somebody picks up dribble at elbow, a forced drive, and a tip out of bounds or worse.

3) Wiltjer looked very frustrated by A&M's defense and forced the issue quite a few times. Didn't quite do the 'Elias Harris' but he softly would go into two defenders and lose the ball.

4) The end of the game possession looked like it was right of the Gonzaga End of the First Half playbook.

5) It's not a Gonzaga game unless: a 3 point shooter is fouled, a bad blocking call on a Gonzaga defender looking to draw the charge, some suspect 3pt defense, and at least one play where a GU big man gets his shot blocked where you say out loud, "Go up and dunk that s***!". One of the tenets was always quality FT shooting but that looks to be on the slide these last few years.

6) I think the guard play will improve but I was hoping for more progression from EMac at this point.

Maybe a lot of glass half empty insight but I think this team has room to grow and can build up. Hard to repeat last year's effort but not a lot of teams looking like buzzsaws. I think A&M could be a top 15 team by year's end (lots of athletic players, they all seemed to have a long reach, hit FTs, bang on the boards, and made a lot of jumpers). Hey, they got a win today so let's buck up. Like every year, tons of quality OOC games left so just focus on each game as they come. I just wanted them to tip against Cuse and smack them around for a bit of cold plated revenge.

bballbeachbum
11-27-2015, 12:58 PM
nice OP. agree with zag buddy generally too tho I would add that to set up the strengths on this team inside is kind of its own rhythm; the Zags aren't out there beating teams up and down the floor that much. In watching early here, I think to succeed they have to adjust well to whatever the opponents do on D to combat the low post attack that is coming every game from the Zags, and take advantage elsewhere when the d tries so hard to take away the beasts. it's fun watching the youngsters grow through all this stuff we all see! it is for me. I think they'll have every opportunity to do it, too

your #4 takeaway is pretty exciting. Zags came out and ran UConn off the 3 point line today and then did pretty well containing the dribble, not a Zag strength over the years. they all need to battle it out on the boards. early in the game you could see all 5 Zags going to the boards, but opponents' guards were getting rebounds in the Bahamas

Section 116
11-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Zag Buddy is correct about going conservative. Santangelo noted in the post game radio show when the Zags get conservative and slow it down you don't just flip a switch and speed things up. The Zags were up 67-53 with about 7:30 left and seemed happy to run clock and then they ran too much and were forced to put up a desperate shot at the end of the shot clock. You have to believe this is one of the issues that will be addressed although I have seen this same thing happen frequently in the past.

GrizZAG
11-27-2015, 01:20 PM
You know, over the years I've seen the Zags get a comfortable lead and then play conservatively trying to hold the lead and then just watch the lead dwindle. I don't know if you can take race horses and ask them to slow down until they need to speed up again.
When you are playing full out you have a lot of Adrenalin going and see things a lot quicker than when you say we got this game won now let's slow it down. Just my opinion If it's not broke don't fix it. set a new scoring goal and keep playing hard.

Yep. Seems we have a long standing habit of not staying the aggressor when we get a good lead and play not to lose. We sure played confident and loose in that first half it seemed. When the opponent mounts a charge we need to match their commitment.

Zaga
11-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Just can't advance in March without solid free throw shooting.

CDC84
11-27-2015, 01:40 PM
It would be nice to straighten it out, because as Jay Bilas said in the Bahamas, this year's NCAA field is going to be more wide open than it was last season. The top 4-6 teams last year are way better than any team this year, and that includes this year's Kentucky team that I am watching right now. If you're a high seed next March, not many teams are going to be scared of you going into the game.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-27-2015, 02:00 PM
My Bahamas takeaways:

- The team showed great mental toughness and fight in rallying together to jump on and then hold off UConn for a big 'W' (first Zags win vs a Top 20 team since 2012...according to ESPN ticker) after a very disappointing loss to Texas A&M. This bodes well for their continued growth and development...especially the backcourt.

- As mentioned by others, love the perimeter D that McClellan, Melson, Perkins and Dranginis give this team.
They all work really really hard on the defensive end. Hope they keep this good habit/identity vs WCC foes.

- Valued each possession much more today then vs A&M, but our lead PG Perkins makes some troubling decisions and sloppy turnovers. He will improve....almost too loosey goosey and confident with the ball, so he's gotta find a balance there.

- Karnowski may miss Pangos more than any other player. He just doesn't seem to get the ball in his comfort zone very often. Looks better athletically (can't believe he has won the opening tipoffs every game so far :-) but man oh man he has got to start making the bunnies down low. Sabonis was in with KW for the crucial final play of the game....hope this team's chemistry & confidence remains intact and selfless.

- It's looking like a 7 man rotation right now with only Sabonis/Melson getting meaningful minutes off the bench. That is not enough. Coach Few and staff are going to have to do something to allow Alberts to develop more confidence and help this team this season. Impact of WCC level competition is an annual talking point come NCAA tourney time, but I think Zags really need to use it to their advantage this year by developing Alberts and Edwards and fine-tuning the offensive sets and decision making of Perkins/ Melson /McClellan....especially vs 2-3 zones, which Zags should have plenty of opportunities to play against.

Overall feeling much better about the Zags now then I was after the Pitt half. Hope Melson can remain more steadily confident on the offensive end and not just streaky confident.....keep up the outstanding defensive intensity.

Love seeing Kyle Dranginis starting, getting major minutes, and making key plays.
Tough, wily veteran senior leader. We still need Alberts to back him up at the 3 on occasion though

tyra
11-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Generally I am very pleased with what I saw here. The above observations are all valuable. Let me add one concern: leadership! For the last three years there was no doubt whose team this was and when it was crunch time, they all looked to him for direction. I cannot count the number of times I saw Kevin put the team on his back in a tense situation and will them to play harder. My concern this year is: who is that leader? Who do the players look to for direction? Which player deep down wants the ball when the game is on the line, either to shoot or distribute? I don't see it yet. I had hoped KW might play more of that role. If so, it is yet to come. It wasn't there this week. When it is crunch time, a team needs an alpha dog. Who is ours?

kclubfounder
11-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Pound the UW Dawgs.

Lose a heartbreaker to a very good team by 1 - and have Sabonis play what will likely be the worst game in his collegiate career.

Beat UConn.

I'll take it.

BULLDOG#1
11-27-2015, 04:04 PM
For a team trying to define its identity, this was a great tournament.

AandM, UCONN, and Cuse are all really good teams. GU could have won the tourney or could have dropped both to AandM and Ucon... So the outcome is pretty positive. The zags had more identifiable issues than any of the other teams and for that reason, i think their ceiling is higher than anyone in the field.

The biggest benefit for the zags was a great big dose of confidence and maturity for Melson and Perkins. Invaluable.

Good learning experience for Bonus as well... tough going yesterday - but he'll learn from it.

Beating UDub was a extra benefit.

Malastein
11-27-2015, 04:21 PM
Kyle Wiltjier has tons of skills. He also has a tendency to disappear at times in games, which is probably a factor of not having a guy like Pangos feeding him the rock in good places. He leaves the ball exposed on post ups, which led to numerous turnovers as the other team would send a double leading to a steal. He's got a great shot, but his shot isn't fast release.

One of the biggest frustrations I had watching these games was watching the bigs simply not boxing out with rebounds. I saw too many sequences where they'd rush to the rim to try to get the board since they've typically been the tallest and it's worked for them in the past. The staff should show them video of Sacre's box outs, since the teams he was on almost always won the battle of the boards.

CDC84
11-27-2015, 04:22 PM
As Few talked about, losing the semifinal game and having to come back and play the next day against a really good team is a tough deal. It takes a lot of willpower. You can easily end up like UConn....a NCAA tournament team that went 1-2 in the Bahamas.

MDABE80
11-27-2015, 05:11 PM
One loss to a very good ranked team, one point from perfect. The mechanics of how the team played must get better. It will. Out front those kids will improve. Bigs will too if the guards improve. One point. We don't have the team we had last year. No worries. Keep the faith. It's not THAT bad.

VinnyZag
11-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Last two games underscored how critical Sabonis is. His absence really hurt against A&M and UConn made its run largely after his fourth foul.

Also, depth is an issue. Get two guys in foul trouble, like today, and it gets really thin. Unavoidable, given the transfers sitting out, but still.

BobZag
11-27-2015, 05:21 PM

+1

raise the zag
11-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Last two games underscored how critical Sabonis is. His absence really hurt against A&M and UConn made its run largely after his fourth foul.

Also, depth is an issue. Get two guys in foul trouble, like today, and it gets really thin. Unavoidable, given the transfers sitting out, but still.

+1

Need to develop Alberts quickly. I see something there...

Also, our season rests on Sabonis' shoulders, imho...

We go when he goes. Or fault when he faults.

Pretty evident thus far.

TacomaZAG
11-27-2015, 06:14 PM

Absolutely true, especially if your PG shoots under 50% over two games against quality competition. In order to advance in the Dance, the PG needs to shoot 85+% since most games are going to be close and the ball is going to be in his hands at the end.

Also, and this has been endemic to the program for years, the guys can't finish, can't close out the win against quality competition. IMHO, this is on the coaching staff, as it has been happening for well over a decade. This weekend adds to the evidence..........against A&M the guys had 0 FG's and 1 total point in the last 5:31 and against UConn the guys had 1 FG and 6 total points in the last 7:45, including 4 shot clock violations in the last 5 possessions. This failure to finish has been typical of the ZAG program for a long time. No problem in the WCC but a big problem in the Dance.

The FT's can be fixed, the failure to finish.................not so much. Fixing the FT's is a practice issue, the failure to finish is a coaching philosophy issue.

Go ZAGS

zagamatic
11-27-2015, 06:20 PM
As mentioned in a few posts, my biggest concern is that Few is coaching this team like he did other teams with not necessarily better, but more experienced guards. What I mean is trying to conserve the lead. You can only play that way when you have guards who are much better free throw shooters than this group has proven to be AND pass more conservatively than this group. Throw in the search for a leader / closer and it spells trouble. This group of guards, and bigs for that matter, need to be pushed to attack pressure with pressure and play fast and loose. Take advantage of the step up in athleticism this group offers and turn em loose.

NumberCruncher
11-27-2015, 06:43 PM
As mentioned in a few posts, my biggest concern is that Few is coaching this team like he did other teams with not necessarily better, but more experienced guards. What I mean is trying to conserve the lead. You can only play that way when you have guards who are much better free throw shooters than this group has proven to be AND pass more conservatively than this group. Throw in the search for a leader / closer and it spells trouble. This group of guards, and bigs for that matter, need to be pushed to attack pressure with pressure and play fast and loose. Take advantage of the step up in athleticism this group offers and turn em loose.

Hmmm... Sounds like you would prefer Romar to be the coach.

willandi
11-27-2015, 06:55 PM
I know free throws are important, but what are the Zag opponents at with free throw defense %? I bet they are pretty good!

MickMick
11-27-2015, 06:55 PM
Too much being placed on the lap of Sabonis. He didn't get minutes because the TAMU game wasn't called evenly. It happens. Especially with big men. The real reason for the loss was that House played out of his mind. Made some incredible shots. Add that to Davis being a solid body that was tough to move from underneath the rim.

In other words, credit an Aggie team that played very well on that particular day.

CdAZagFan
11-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Would have liked to have that A&M win, but overall very pleased with outcome and have raised my expectations overall somewhat. Was a little disconcerting these last two games watching leads evaporate down the stretch and having to claw and scratch to the finish. Thought Melson bounced back well, and overall thought the guards played much better and look to be improving. Playing this level of competition will really help them mentally down the road.

Positives:
Perimeter defense looks good. One real positive of our athletic guards. Overall defense is good also.
Sabonis is just an animal in there - I do think he may be our most valuable player
Three-Point shooting was impressive - especially and mainly in this last game. Getting these guards taking and making 3's is huge.
KW - even when off - can still be a huge factor offensively. I wish he would seek out those final shots when we need him though (he tends to disappear on those final sets).
Perkins seems to be taking charge and starting to become more assertive. This team needs a backcourt leader.
Melson seemed to bounce back from a couple of iffy games - good sign.
Good to have a glue-guy like KD - I think he could even become more of an offensive threat if he wanted to.
Big-to-Big plays - seems like our bigs do better job of feeding the bigs than the guards do.

Negatives
Free throw shooting has to top the list
Depth - as has been stated in earlier posts, our depth will be challenged, especially with all these touch fouls being called. Would like to see Alberts get some more time.
Finishing games - Hoping this tournament will be learning tool to help these guys seal the deal when the opportunity presents itself.

Again, I'm happy with their progress so far...

zagamatic
11-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Hmmm... Sounds like you would prefer Romar to be the coach.

No, just want Few to adjust to the strengths of THIS TEAM rather than try and coach them to play a style that's not in their wheelhouse right now. Have never been a fan of how Few CONSISTENTLY coaches in a way that REWARDS opponents for being aggressive rather than making them pay for it.
Few is undoubtedly a good coach, but a great coach adjusts to his personnel. I'm not saying that I want him gone. But I am saying that I am tired of watching highly skilled teams wilt under pressure from lesser talented teams who are simply playing more aggressive and not having it used against them

cdools
11-27-2015, 08:38 PM
As a fan of Kevin Pangos, I love the fact that there are so many references to KP and his stellar stats over his four year, but the reality is that Kevin and Gary are done and the team now is the team now. Kevin and Gary are both playing in Europe and talking about them is pointless nostalgia...The Bahamas tourney brought out the depth at guard, the power of the inside, and the continual struggle with FT's and foul trouble. One game it was DS sitting most of the game and then JP played 17 minutes against UCONN. But let's look at the positive intangibles. Kyle Dranginis is playing like a stat filler that he is. His put back and follow up with a steal won the game. McLellan was great tonight when Josh was off, while the A and M game Josh showed what he could do. Silas was great at times too. Too many turnovers took away a better tourney but 2-1 for a team that is growing and trying to move past the completed eligibility of two of the best Zags ever is pretty darn good for November.

ZAGGED OUT
11-28-2015, 06:08 AM
Biggest take away from the Battle was our backcourt. We knew/know what we have upfront, they ran into a great TAMU squad that gameplanned perfectly and forced them into uncomfortable situations. It was a learning experience but they'll grow tremendously from it.

Perkins: Still a frosh. As people have said all summer, things seem exaggerated coming off of 4 years with KP/GBJ. His potential is undeniable though. When he is agressive, he changes the entire offense for the better. His second half against TAMU was a great glimpse of what he's capable of doing when he isn't complacent back there. I saw Jazz's thread calling his handling and passing atrocious. I disagree on both these counts, and really think his mistakes are almost always chalked up to decision making. He's a great handler, but chooses to pick up his dribble instead of trusting himself too often. He's a great passer with great vision, his 5 games last year plus this year have already showed us great things. However, defenses are bigger, faster, stronger at this level and he has to figure out what he can get away with and what he cant. There will be growing pains, but he's going to be ok.

Melson: I said at the beginning of the season, he'd be one of our X factors. First couple games of the season were rough, he tried to push things too much. Was good to see him take advantage of his chances in the Bahamas. He was aggressive getting to the rim against TAMU (should've been getting foul calls, but oh well) and his shooting seems to be turning the corner. His first half against UCONN was great to see. This team is going to need our backcourt to step up with some consistent outside threats. Melson offers that, but also the ability to get to the rim if the close out is overly aggressive. This next week (WSU, Zona) is going to be a huge week for Silas, if he can build off his confidence and get rolling before WCC play, watch out.

KD: Exactly what we expected, and needed. Spectacular glue guy, but he's shown some senior confidence and has stepped up offensively as well. Another guy that offers a perimeter threat that we need if he can keep up his recent shooting. Doesn't get to rim quite as aggressively as Silas or Mac, but his floater/mid range game is a welcomed addition. I've been most pleasantly surprised by his consistent passing. He's always been a good passer his first 3 years, with a great Ast/TO ratio, but his ability to step up when our other guys are struggling or in foul trouble has been HUGE.

GlacierZag
11-28-2015, 06:25 AM
Biggest take away from the Battle was our backcourt. We knew/know what we have upfront, they ran into a great TAMU squad that gameplanned perfectly and forced them into uncomfortable situations. It was a learning experience but they'll grow tremendously from it.

Perkins: Still a frosh. As people have said all summer, things seem exaggerated coming off of 4 years with KP/GBJ. His potential is undeniable though. When he is agressive, he changes the entire offense for the better. His second half against TAMU was a great glimpse of what he's capable of doing when he isn't complacent back there. I saw Jazz's thread calling his handling and passing atrocious. I disagree on both these counts, and really think his mistakes are almost always chalked up to decision making. He's a great handler, but chooses to pick up his dribble instead of trusting himself too often. He's a great passer with great vision, his 5 games last year plus this year have already showed us great things. However, defenses are bigger, faster, stronger at this level and he has to figure out what he can get away with and what he cant. There will be growing pains, but he's going to be ok.

Melson: I said at the beginning of the season, he'd be one of our X factors. First couple games of the season were rough, he tried to push things too much. Was good to see him take advantage of his chances in the Bahamas. He was aggressive getting to the rim against TAMU (should've been getting foul calls, but oh well) and his shooting seems to be turning the corner. His first half against UCONN was great to see. This team is going to need our backcourt to step up with some consistent outside threats. Melson offers that, but also the ability to get to the rim if the close out is overly aggressive. This next week (WSU, Zona) is going to be a huge week for Silas, if he can build off his confidence and get rolling before WCC play, watch out.

KD: Exactly what we expected, and needed. Spectacular glue guy, but he's shown some senior confidence and has stepped up offensively as well. Another guy that offers a perimeter threat that we need if he can keep up his recent shooting. Doesn't get to rim quite as aggressively as Silas or Mac, but his floater/mid range game is a welcomed addition. I've been most pleasantly surprised by his consistent passing. He's always been a good passer his first 3 years, with a great Ast/TO ratio, but his ability to step up when our other guys are struggling or in foul trouble has been HUGE.

I agree ZaggedOut .... Josh is learning and will be a star at Gonzaga.

Zagger
11-28-2015, 07:04 AM
I feel these past 3 days were great for Zag team building. Been unable to watch much of the play with traveling - will be binge watching my recordings early Sunday AM. From what I have seen - lovin' me some Drano!

webspinnre
11-28-2015, 07:28 AM
My biggest takeaway is that we have to get something offensively from at least one of the 2 and 3 spots on the floor.

LongIslandZagFan
11-28-2015, 08:04 AM
After this weekend... I am dying the see where GU ends up on defensive rankings. Really good D this weekend. I mean really good.

Craptastic FT shooting killed a perfect season. Let's hope the boys clean that up. I don't like having Zags go to the line and I expect them ALL to be like Shem... who at times this weekend was the BETTER FT shooter. I can live with Karnowski being hit and miss... not the whole team.

Sabonis really needs to learn what a foul IS. Once he cleans that up... unstoppable.

When the O and the D are clicking... Zags can take ANY team to the woodshed... D seems consistent... so just need to get O more consistent. As Perkins gets better this will shape itself up.

EMac can fill in at point.

I know they weren't in the Bahamas... but Santa Clara really sucks. Keating-watch should be in full force down in the Bay Area.

Once and Future Zag
11-28-2015, 08:14 AM
After this weekend... I am dying the see where GU ends up on defensive rankings. Really good D this weekend. I mean really good.

Craptastic FT shooting killed a perfect season. Let's hope the boys clean that up. I don't like having Zags go to the line and I expect them ALL to be like Shem... who at times this weekend was the BETTER FT shooter. I can live with Karnowski being hit and miss... not the whole team.

Sabonis really needs to learn what a foul IS. Once he cleans that up... unstoppable.

When the O and the D are clicking... Zags can take ANY team to the woodshed... D seems consistent... so just need to get O more consistent. As Perkins gets better this will shape itself up.

EMac can fill in at point.

I know they weren't in the Bahamas... but Santa Clara really sucks. Keating-watch should be in full force down in the Bay Area.

Right now GU is #10 O-effeciency and 17 D-effeciency, per KenPom.

In any case, this team is still a bit of work in progress getting all the gears to mesh. It'll get better just though game reps.

(And practice those FTs - run a couple laps of the court, shoot 25 shots, 2 laps, 25 shots...)

GrizZAG
11-28-2015, 08:33 AM
Karnowski looks great in a Tube on the Lazy River.

jim77
11-28-2015, 08:59 AM
Good to see the team leave on a high note.

The first half of the UCONN game was one of the best performances I've seen from ANY team this year. The announcers kept gushing about the "D" and the movement on O and D was a thing of beauty. I have noticed 1 thing about the Zags when their lead is evaporating...their feet ain't moving as much. They kind of freeze on their feet...as opposed to being chased in the first half. Gotta keep up the O movement. One other think I noticed was how quick EMAC is off the dribble. He could go around his man anytime he wanted...and UCONN had nobody who could stay with him. I hope the coaching staff seize on this cause this could lead to some easy bunnies as well as those open looks KW nails. Teams can stuff it down low....they can cover KW...but, when the guards (like EMAC) throw the super drive into it....not many defense can defend against it...it reeks havoc.

This team has new pieces but, it can already do things last years team could not. This team cleans up their freethrows and quits dribbling into crowds..they will go far. Really Really impressed with the way DRAINO keeps his head in the game despite the pressure of the moment..tough competitor. The one thing that would help Sabonis and PK's bunny averages is more drive and dishes to these guys.....these guys should not have to dribble through 2 people every touch just to get a shot. Draino actually screened for PK on one play in the 2nd half which resulted in a dunk. The coaches need to highlight that play...we need more like it.

I thought Perkins grew up a ton in the Tourney.....was also impressed with the way he started the UCONN game.....with the aggressive/assertive way he ended his A&M game. Keep it up Josh!

Sometimes a team can learn more from a loss than a victory...and it also takes pressure off too. Now the guys can get down to business and fine tune their game.....REALLY happy with the way the guys grew this weekend...especially the guards. GU is gonna be a tough ticket for its oppponents for the remainder of the season.

Goshzagit
11-28-2015, 09:28 AM
We gave up a monstrous 21 pt lead, but as above posts state, our feet weren't moving, our bigs weren't jumping, our guards weren't shuffling…

Guys. 3 games in 3 days.

We were simply fatigued and it showed on Wiltjer's face (30+ mpg), and Karnowski too. Tired at the 2nd half of our final game.

We let up and UConn took advantage or our lack of quickness in paint.

Our bigs are the fastest on the playground, so when fatigue sets in, its even more noticeable.

Silas "taking over the game" plan wasn't ideal either, but Wiltjer looked completely gassed. No wonder he wasn't calling for the ball the final few minutes, tank was empty.

We finished strong, due to our x-factor, glue guy in Draino.

All that matters = W.

Just like TAMU is saying about our game.

sage
11-28-2015, 10:32 AM
Word is the "coach" at UW has hired new medical staff. He needed someone to treat diaper rash....:lmao:

gonzagafan62
11-28-2015, 06:23 PM
The most important takeaway: our defense is freakin money. Absolute money.

sullyzag66
11-28-2015, 07:02 PM
Sounds as if Few may agree:

http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2015/nov/27/gonzaga-starts-fast-hangs-on-against-uconn/

“I was worried, very worried. That was a huge run (by UConn),” said coach Mark Few, whose team let a small lead slip away late in Thursday’s 62-61 loss to Texas A&M. “We were playing tentative. I hate it when we play tentative, drives me nuts. We need to fix that when we go back home. These guys flipped the switch and we got three stops down the stretch.”

Reborn
11-28-2015, 07:11 PM
What I saw is that the Zags did close the deal against UCONN and that was huge. It's all about winning, not the score. I am so happy to see Kyle Dranginis rise to the occasion yesterday. I think that game is going to add so much confidence to Kyle's game.

One other thing that the Zags will take away is that it's early in the season and the Zags are making good progress. That's what I see. I see a team getting better. Gonzaga played really good teams in the Bahamas and that's going to help them in the weeks to come. So I see confidence, in themselves and their team, as one of the things the Zags will take home with them from the Bahamas. Yes, this team is a work in progress and this year the coaches are going to earn their pay. There is so much that has to be done but that is what it's all about. Progress is what is important at this juncture. And the Zags will take away the knowledge that they play really good defense, and we could not always say that about the Zags in the past.

I have been really impressed with the way Wiltjer has been rebounding.

As in most teams since '99, these guys are winners. I love that about them. The UCONN game showed me a lot about the spirit of this team.

tinfoilzag
11-29-2015, 01:01 AM
Minor things that bothered me and recommendations for fixes:

- Perkins didn't "break his jaw". The kid from Georgia broke his jaw. Guys that call the game, please state that Perkins "had his jaw broken".

- Sabonis has to learn that he can't just impose his will physically; Pro ball it's acceptable, not NCAAM. Teams will bait him if he tries to force it into the post and/or double teams. Kick the first few out when the D collapses and let KW hit some 3s. The room to work will show up.

- Just because Karno is huge doesn't mean refs should call any collision with him as a foul against him. Ya the other kid may dramatically bounce off of him but the refs need to look at who initiated contact.

- Devote 1/2 hour of every practice to last possession at the end-of-half/end-of-game until we successfully execute it in a game.

ZagLawGrad
11-29-2015, 09:18 AM
.. Sabonis has to learn that he can't just impose his will physically; Pro ball it's acceptable, not NCAAM. Teams will bait him if he tries to force it into the post and/or double teams. Kick the first few out when the D collapses and let KW hit some 3s. The room to work will show up..

Good point. He seems intent at times that come hell or high water he is going to get the ball within 2-3 feet from the rim, and the result (besides dumb fouls) is that he tries too hard instead of dishing the ball back out. He needs to develop a consistent 12-15 foot jumper.

sage
11-29-2015, 10:53 AM
Half of EVERY practice devoted to shooting free throws. Many, many games at ALL levels are won and lost on the line.

willandi
11-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Half of EVERY practice devoted to shooting free throws. Many, many games at ALL levels are won and lost on the line.

Free throw practice is good, but FT's in simulated game situations would be better. A scrimmage to get heart rates up and breathing hard. Blow the whistle and pick a player to shoot. Have a backdrop with projected fans waving everything, piped in sound. There must also be something to make the free throws matter, extra laps or something.

I've never been to a practice so they may already do something like this. Maybe have the players try Rick Barry's style. Something different that works.

spike_jr
11-29-2015, 11:42 AM
One takeaway that I have is that we are still vulnerable to long athletic teams like A&M and especially until our younger guards get more game experience. I think we were the better basketball than A&M, but they were the more athletic team (and the better free throw shooting team). They had the athletes to turn up the defense when it mattered - as did UConn. Sometimes better basketball beats better athletes (UW and UConn) and sometimes better athletes prevail (A&M). IMHO, this is why it is important to keep WSU on the schedule. Say what you want about WSU, but they will always have better athletes than any WCC team not named Gonzaga and exposure to those sorts of teams is helpful come March.

Mantua
11-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Minor things that bothered me and recommendations for fixes:

- Perkins didn't "break his jaw". The kid from Georgia broke his jaw. Guys that call the game, please state that Perkins "had his jaw broken".

- Sabonis has to learn that he can't just impose his will physically; Pro ball it's acceptable, not NCAAM. Teams will bait him if he tries to force it into the post and/or double teams. Kick the first few out when the D collapses and let KW hit some 3s. The room to work will show up.

- Just because Karno is huge doesn't mean refs should call any collision with him as a foul against him. Ya the other kid may dramatically bounce off of him but the refs need to look at who initiated contact.

- Devote 1/2 hour of every practice to last possession at the end-of-half/end-of-game until we successfully execute it in a game.

Thank you! That was driving me crazy.