PDA

View Full Version : Help me on Perkins

jazzdelmar
11-27-2015, 10:48 AM
Can anyone help me understanding Perkins? Forget his field goal shooting, that comes and goes. I'm even willing to overlook his free-throw shooting. He can't be that bad all year. But his ball handling and passing are just atrocious. Which numbskull scout described him as the best passing prospect in 10 years? And to be honest a lot of it is unforced. He just makes fundamentally stupid plays. Help, anyone?

One consolation I guess is that its pretty certain he's going to stay for five years.

RenoZag
11-27-2015, 10:49 AM
He's just a freshman ??

Added:

I wondered where Josh's 1st 10 games stood in comparison to the 1st 10 games of Kevin Pangos * as far as A/TO. So I looked it up

Josh Perkins 1st 10 (5 games last year, 5 games this year) 33 Assists, 27 Turnovers
Kevin Pangos 1st 10 (2011-12 Season): 35 Assists, 17 TO's
Matt Bouldin (2006-07 Season): 37 Assts, 24 TO's
David Stockton (2010-11): 12 Assts / 11 TO's
Jeremy Pargo (2005-06): 30 Assts / 31 TO's

* I'll add a few other notable Zags' PG's "first ten" A/TO numbers if I can find 'em.

VinnyZag
11-27-2015, 10:51 AM
He makes great passes that nobody else sees, and he makes boneheaded passes that result in turnovers. It's a matter of weeding out the latter without killing the creativity that leads to the former. I think he can improve.

john montana
11-27-2015, 10:54 AM
I still have faith in him. He needs court time. He's got the vision, just needs time to work out his decision making issues. Plus...he really needs to play in full on aggressive mode to be effective. When he is passive, his handle is loose and he makes dumb plays. He is much better playing to score and create.

but...we are going to have to live with a few bonehead passes while he figures it out. I was screaming at the TV in our last possession when he drove and then kicked it to Melson with no time left on the shot clock.

whatazag
11-27-2015, 10:59 AM
I am more concerned about his tendency to get trapped so often.

But Perkins, like most of our guards, really needs to work on his entry passes. Its painful to watch out bigs work for position and then the ball just gets kicked around the outside.

BobZag
11-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Patience, Brooklyner.

jazzdelmar
11-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Patience, Brooklyner.

Ez for u to say. Not in our DNA.

bballbeachbum
11-27-2015, 11:09 AM
needs to stay out of foul trouble, that would help. he's a freshman so all that in and out maybe has affected him? it can affect older players too...idk. so many whistles can make you kind of passive sometimes, he can't play well passive, whatever causes it. I think he's OK at the entries so far

and this for all those guards...when those Ds collapse on the block whether it's Shem or Domas or KW, the guards have got to be moving to open spot ups or making smart cuts to the hoop and ready to attack and make those Ds pay for having to scramble!! it's a mindset that says something like you better freakin guard me...how dare you not guard me!

we've seen some signs. has to stay on the floor tho without fouling. that's one thing

Bogozags
11-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
Gotta be KD with Mac and DS close behind. Perks gets whatever the opposite award is. Just awful.

I really believe that if Perkins could have played an entire season with Pangos and Bell his game would be much more consistent and effective. He was "cheated" last year by what should have been a Flagrant 2 foul. I think he is doing quite well regarding this being his first year in D1...he has a lot to learn and in the second half of the A&M game, he displayed WHY Coach Few went after this guy so hard!

We all know he is a smart and selfless player and the team will benefit from his learning in the first 10-15 games...IMO he will be ready by Dance Time.

23zagmd
11-27-2015, 11:19 AM
Who dealing cares? BALL SECURITY and FT shooting won KP 122 freaking games! Did these guys learn nothing?
He makes great passes that nobody else sees, and he makes boneheaded passes that result in turnovers. It's a matter of weeding out the latter without killing the creativity that leads to the former. I think he can improve.

Zagsker
11-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Who dealing cares? BALL SECURITY and FT shooting won KP 122 freaking games! Did these guys learn nothing?

Starting as a freshmen also helps with that win total...Perkins is going to be close to that win total (if not past it) and end up being the better PG

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-27-2015, 12:03 PM
Can anyone help me understanding Perkins? Forget his field goal shooting, that comes and goes. I'm even willing to overlook his free-throw shooting. He can't be that bad all year. But his ball handling and passing are just atrocious. Which numbskull scout described him as the best passing prospect in 10 years? And to be honest a lot of it is unforced. He just makes fundamentally stupid plays. Help, anyone?

One consolation I guess is that its pretty certain he's going to stay for five years.

Take a deep breath. It's a game.

jazzdelmar
11-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Ironic that you used the term "numbskull" in your rant.

Don't u you mean self referential. If you're going to be snarky, be snarky.

Zagdawg
11-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Your lead guard needs to facilitate the offense (get the ball to your bigs in good position to score ----bigs are fighting down low for good position --need to reward them for the hard work) ---I don't see Perkins doing much of that.

The lead guard needs to not get into foul trouble so that he can stay on the floor to facilitate the offense. If you pick up one foul in the 1st half---the light needs to go on and he needs to understand the next foul he is sitting (so do not be as aggressive on defense). If the team needs him to be in to help--there is no way that he should ever pick up a 3rd foul in the 1st half.

Your lead guard can't have more turnovers than assists --and should be the leading team in assists---Dranginis has more assists than Perkins on the year--but Dranginis plays better defense and has been staying out of foul trouble.

Your lead guard needs to be able to hit free throws--- the ball is in his hands at the end of the half and at the end of the game --he needs to be able to hit the free throws to make teams pay for fouling to stop the clock.

Don't pick up your dribble without a plan and don't drive then jump into the air with no plan about who you are passing to.

With NWG in the wings for next year--we will be in much more experienced and capable hands (and this will take the pressure off Perkins--allow him to further develop)---but as was mentioned before--our bigs will be gone.

Few has lots of tape that he can use to help Josh figure it out---Josh just needs to watch it and improve his thought process--given time he will make headway in the right direction.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Nevermind.

hooter73
11-27-2015, 12:38 PM
I don't mind what I'm seeing. He didn't learn jack his last year of high school and had a chip on his shoulder after getting taken out last year so now he's learning g on the go. It's rough but he shows an ability to learn and improve every game.

zag67
11-27-2015, 12:53 PM
I am going to agree with Reno. He is a freshman and makes freshman errors. The coaches have something to work on. they can use film to show many concepts.

ZagsGoZags
11-27-2015, 12:59 PM
all four of our guards are on a huge learning curve,
Josh, Eric, and Silas make lots of faces when fouls are called on them, and exchange glances like "these refs are crazy" and "I've been ripped off again"
all 3 of them have been very concerned with how they look, and being cool; they may get more like Bell and Delly who didn't care if they looked cool or not
these last two games will undoubtedly provide experiences that will mature them in the attitude and demeanor dept.
I am glad we have only one loss instead of two while learning ...
all three will get their heads on much straighter by Feb
our backcourt will get better and better, and the team will advance at that speed
just my opinion

jazzdelmar
11-27-2015, 01:20 PM
Nevermind.

You got that right.

ZagMan in Philly
11-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Let's revisit this post after about 10 games in this season.
I think we will see improvement in his overall game.

cggonzaga
11-27-2015, 02:35 PM
Just some very dumb early season comments being made; yes I'm also referring to you jazz. I know you're a curmudgeon but I thought you were a more knowledgable fan. Not every freshman is Blake Stepp or Kevin Pangos from the get go. Josh is playing fine but still trying to figure out his role on this team just like all our other guards. I'm pretty damn excited by what I've seen especially knowing it's only going to get better. Our guards have been thrown into the fire with early games against Pitt, A&M and Uconn. Not sure the previously mentioned guards had to play those types of teams with this kind of travel in their first 5 games. These games are only going to make us that much stronger as the season progresses and quite frankly I'm not sure we lose more than 1 game here on out. I'll take our 4-1 start and be happy about it considering outside of our big 3 and Draino we don't have a ton of game experience.

Zagnificent
11-27-2015, 03:57 PM
I really believe that if Perkins could have played an entire season with Pangos and Bell his game would be much more consistent and effective. He was "cheated" last year by what should have been a Flagrant 2 foul.

Agreed with the first point...but whether the foul was a flagrant 2 or not is moot at this point. I think it's time to collectively just let that go. We've got what we've got. There's potential, and improvement is certain, but consistent excellence is a good way off still.

Zag 77
11-27-2015, 04:31 PM
A few weeks ago Matt Santangelo said that Perkins has enormously more potential than Pangos. However you might see a spectacular pass one play and he might throw it 30 rows up into the seats the next. He said Pangos came in at a steady, solid level and stayed there for 4 years. Perkins has a higher upside but consistency will only come with time.

zagmantis2001
11-27-2015, 04:34 PM
A few weeks ago Matt Santangelo said that Perkins has enormously more potential than Pangos. However you might see a spectacular pass one play and he might throw it 30 rows up into the seats the next. He said Pangos came in at a steady, solid level and stayed there for 4 years. Perkins has a higher upside but consistency will only come with time.

Santangelo is correct. Everybody needs to calm down. Remember Pargo as a freshman. Flashes of potential followed by a poor decision or pass. He improved every year.

maynard g krebs
11-27-2015, 07:15 PM
Half caterpillar, half butterfly right now. Still emerging from the cocoon of the last 2 seasons- injured, in regression on a terrible Huntington team.

Simple as that. As the wise one said in one word, "patience".

We should all be nothing but grateful he chose to play for the Zags.

Outraged
11-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Half caterpillar, half butterfly right now. Still emerging from the cocoon of the last 2 seasons- injured, in regression on a terrible Huntington team.

Simple as that. As the wise one said in one word, "patience".

We should all be nothing but grateful he chose to play for the Zags.

We are emerging from the pupa stage.

Robzagnut
11-27-2015, 08:40 PM
Your lead guard can't have more turnovers than assists --and should be the leading team in assists---Dranginis has more assists than Perkins on the year--but Dranginis plays better defense and has been staying out of foul trouble.

Dranginis is a senior. Perkins is a freshman starting his 4th game.

Apples and oranges. Let's compare them when Perkins is a senior.

thespywhozaggedme
11-27-2015, 08:46 PM
Ez for u to say. Not in our DNA.

It's a choice, just like not making an overreactionary apocalyptic thread every time a thought pops into your head.

thespywhozaggedme
11-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Let's revisit this post after about 10 games in this season.
I think we will see improvement in his overall game.

Or better yet, let's never revisit this post; there will be 10 others just like them anyway by then.

GrizZAG
11-27-2015, 10:34 PM
5th game in we take down UCONN. No small accomplishment for the young guns.

EEzag
11-27-2015, 11:29 PM

Seems like when comparing the offense to last year, the ball isn't where it needs to be on time. Some of those bad passes and lack of post entry and picking up the dribble are due to the offense moving faster then the ball. Also, where is the high-low game. Haven't seen much of it yet.

jazzdelmar
11-28-2015, 03:30 AM
It's a choice, just like not making an overreactionary apocalyptic thread every time a thought pops into your head.

Um, isn't that the definition of a fan board. "Apocalyptic?" Now your use of the term here, that may be an "overreaction." The OP merely stated what was on most objective board members' minds: What is wrong with JP?" The replies were all over the place, yet another function of a fan board. If you are completely unconcerned, good for you. Many others are as well. Many also share my OP and are concerned, questioning, even worried. But you are aces on one thing. The OP was my free choice.

vandalzag
11-28-2015, 05:40 AM

So Jazz have you picked Josh as the player you are going to rag on no matter what he does? Will Josh join the ranks of Raivio, Pargo, Ronny, etc... that face you scorn every time the put on the uniform. If that happens then we will be OK, since those players turned out just fine. My money was Melson being your lead target. Maybe you will just switch off every time one of them have a bad game. Did this post make you feel better? I guess this kind of nonsense is just in your DNA. My only question is when he settles down and starts playing within himself will you be jumping back on the bandwagon or will you stick to your guns and run down everything he does?

vandalzag
11-28-2015, 05:43 AM
[QUOTE=jazzdelmar;1149250]Um, isn't that the definition of a fan board. "Apocalyptic?"

Nope wrong again.
From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/message-board

message board

Examples

noun
a website or section of a website that is used for public discussion of a specific topic and on which users can submit or read messages:
You should post your questions on a parenting message board and get support from other parents.
an online discussion group that is maintained on such a website:
To participate in the message board, you must be a registered user.

jazzdelmar
11-28-2015, 06:48 AM
[QUOTE=jazzdelmar;1149250]Um, isn't that the definition of a fan board. "Apocalyptic?"

Nope wrong again.
From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/message-board

message board

Examples

noun
a website or section of a website that is used for public discussion of a specific topic and on which users can submit or read messages:
You should post your questions on a parenting message board and get support from other parents.
an online discussion group that is maintained on such a website:
To participate in the message board, you must be a registered user.

Astonishingly, you misread my post. It was said my OP was apocalyptic. It also said that I post something when it comes to my mind. I don't believe what I said was apocalyptic at all but something that many here have observed. As for the spontaneity of my posts, guilty as charged. Welcome back. BTW, love Melson almost as much as DS, they are never timid.

b-dog
11-28-2015, 07:03 AM
Few and staff better pull on the reins a bit...don't want to be critical of him so I will say, over confident which leads to _________. Both he and Melson could have made an extra pass a time or two but like most players want box score attention.

webspinnre
11-28-2015, 07:34 AM
You think they're doing this for selfish reasons? If Few suspected that, they'd be in the doghouse ASAP. More likely they just need to work on better decision-making.

LongIslandZagFan
11-28-2015, 07:53 AM
Few and staff better pull on the reins a bit...don't want to be critical of him so I will say, over confident which leads to _________. Both he and Melson could have made an extra pass a time or two but like most players want box score attention.

I am sure you are in the heads of these two and know full well that all they want are the stats. SMH.

Look it is one thing to be critical of say Melson's or Perkin's play... but to imply that all they care about are stats... that borders on silly. Especially when you look at the fact that Melson had every intent of red-shirting last year (mark of someone being a team player... stat kids would likely demand to play or start from day 1) and Perkins accepted his role of backup to Pangos willingly until he was hurt last year.

LongIslandZagFan
11-28-2015, 07:54 AM

Decaf man... decaf.

You are experiencing the Bell/Pangos hangover. Give him time.

jazzdelmar
11-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Decaf man... decaf.

You are experiencing the Bell/Pangos hangover. Give him time.

Indeed. Didn't think it would be the case. Kid was so highly rated. We will see.

NEC26
11-28-2015, 08:32 AM
As poorly as the guards have played on offense I will say they are a clear upgrade on defense. This is the best group I think we have had in quite some time on the defensive end when taken on the whole. With improvement in decision making and ball handling this group can be pretty good I think.

titopoet
11-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Perkins is a great guard and will be up and down as all freshmen, but more so as he is a very emotional player. He is unlike Pangos in that Kevin was always even emotionally while Josh wears emotions on his face and he goes up and down during a games. When he is confident, GU has the ability to go very far, but when he gets down on himself then the tries too hard and loses confidence. As the season progresses, I see him getting more and more confident in his skills and his look will continue to great better and better. Don't forget he is feeling the pressure of taking over Kevin Pangos, and that is big shoes to fill. Kevin never had to face that challenge.

ProjectMKUltra5
11-28-2015, 10:30 AM

And we almost win the game against a very good A&M team, and we were competitive with a good Pitt team despite playing on ice.

I'm starting to think no matter how well this group plays they'll catch hate from our fans for not being Pangos and Bell

Goshzagit
11-28-2015, 10:38 AM
1. needs more strength -- still seems a tad weak.

2. tighten up the handle -- learn to protect ball with body, not just crossovers.

3. underrated shooter -- actually, should shoot way more, maybe even pass less.

4. great at reading the offense, bad at dribbling into a trap/trouble -- less risk taking in compromised spots.

5. keep the offense flowing -- reverse the motion, don't pick up the dribble every freakin' time.

Mantua
11-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Perkins is a great guard and will be up and down as all freshmen, but more so as he is a very emotional player. He is unlike Pangos in that Kevin was always even emotionally while Josh wears emotions on his face and he goes up and down during a games. When he is confident, GU has the ability to go very far, but when he gets down on himself then the tries too hard and loses confidence. As the season progresses, I see him getting more and more confident in his skills and his look will continue to great better and better. Don't forget he is feeling the pressure of taking over Kevin Pangos, and that is big shoes to fill. Kevin never had to face that challenge.

I appreciate your insight. I am looking forward to seeing the entire team develop more confidence as their game improves. I thought I saw a confidence issue in the Bahamas, particularly when UConn turned up the jets. Dranginis was a great role model, keeping a cool head and remaining a hunter while some of his teammates looked like the hunted.

Kevin had a big advantage starting his college career as the son of a coach.

vandalzag
11-28-2015, 06:20 PM
I appreciate your insight. I am looking forward to seeing the entire team develop more confidence as their game improves. I thought I saw a confidence issue in the Bahamas, particularly when UConn turned up the jets. Dranginis was a great role model, keeping a cool head and remaining a hunter while some of his teammates looked like the hunted.

Kevin had a big advantage starting his college career as the son of a coach.

Kevin had a big advantage playing with Stockton for 3 years. Perks not being able to apprentice last year Pangos hurt his development. The talent and instincts are there but the everything is just too quick. It will slow down for him but it will take some time. Lets revisit in Feb and see if he is still doing the same things

bartruff1
11-29-2015, 04:14 AM
I doubt anyone can help you...but it is good that you are seeking help.;)

Kevin has a basketball IQ that is off the charts, a coach on the floor. He and Few were on the same page on day one.

Kevin also had leadership abilities both on and off the court and was committed to including and valuing everyone which builds that illusive team chemistry.

He was the hardest worker and made the most of his abilities .....led by example. He was not a great athlete but was highly skilled and played most of a season with a turf toe.

The expectations for Perkins were unrealistic and still are.

Let Perkins be Perkins and he will be fine.

bigblahla
11-29-2015, 04:30 AM
I doubt anyone can help you...but it is good that you are seeking help.

Kevin has a basketball IQ that is off the charts, a coach on the floor. He and Few were on the same page on day one.

Kevin also had leadership abilities both on and off the court and was committed to including and valuing everyone which builds that illusive team chemistry.

He was the hardest worker and made the most of his abilities .....led by example. He was not a great athlete but was highly skilled and played most of a season with a turf toe.

True words bart...sadly.....

Go!! Zags!!!

Ekrub
11-29-2015, 05:13 AM
The guy oozes talent. Experience, which takes time, will be needed before he becomes a zag-great. I believe he will be at the top of that assist and win category when he leaves

Zaga
11-29-2015, 07:01 AM
I for one thought that Josh coming off basically a red shirt year would have been a little more solid in his handle and decision making. "Riding the pine" early in a game is difficult for fans to endure due to foul trouble or sloppy play. JP has lot's to live up to in Zagville as the point! Yeah he's young/talented and will learn quickly or sit often. Anxious for him to have a really standout performance.

Zagricultural
11-29-2015, 07:28 AM
I actually think the main thing he needs to work on is foul trouble. Love Perkins, and all the guards really. Just enjoy the journey folks!

bigblahla
11-29-2015, 07:32 AM
Perkins is good and can be much better....will grow into the job or out of it...up to him....not impressed with his BB IQ or judgement....sloppy handles and play...yep KP hangover big time....watched him at HP and wasn't impressed thought it was his team but in watching him now at GU there is something intangible missing between the ears...if it's there the light hasn't come on...he will have stiff competition next year and the year after for his position....time will tell....

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagLawGrad
11-29-2015, 07:43 AM
Perkins is good and can be much better....will grow into the job or out of it...up to him....not impressed with his BB IQ or judgement....sloppy handles and play...yep KP hangover big time....watched him at HP and wasn't impressed thought it was his team but in watching him now at GU there is something intangible missing between the ears...if it's there the light hasn't come on...he will have stiff competition next year and the year after for his position....time will tell....

Go!! Zags!!!

Agree with this. Someone earlier called him a great guard. Maybe down the road, but not yet by a fair amount. Too bad NWG has to wait a year. What a difference he would make on this team.

cggonzaga
11-29-2015, 11:09 AM

So true! Everybody knows that if a player hasn't reached his expectations by 5 games into a season then those expectations were unreasonable. I mean clearly your basketball IQ is off the charts and Perkins is clueless playing the game of basketball. Mark Few must have terrible bball IQ as well because he coveted Josh as his next point guard. Thank you all for setting everybody straight on what a disappointment Josh has been essentially 5 games into his career here at GU. i assume you were brilliant at your job early on in your career and had nothing to learn or get better at?

maynard g krebs
11-29-2015, 11:09 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned this, but I think he's still suffering mentally from after-effects of the traumatic injury he suffered last year. The subconscious stores traumatic memory; it's a self-defense/survival mechanism, and I think it's having an effect on his split-second reactions. The body has healed; the mind can take longer. With more reps he'll be more confident and at ease, as long as he doesn't get kicked in the jaw again. Just a thought.

He also has a more mercurial, emotional personality than many past GU pg's, and I think that ties into the above. Add in all that to the above and the fact that he lost his apprentice year, and the fact that he doesn't have a veteran beside him with a complete game (Dranginis almost does, but he's not an aggressive scorer, McClellan a so-so shooter, Melson a bit of a project w/ decision-making issues, etc), and there's a lot on his plate.

I'm gonna be patient and give him time, and still expect him to be one of the Zag greats before he's done.

cggonzaga
11-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Great post Maynard. Thought I'd throw out some stats as well. Obviously Pangos' stats are for the whole year but...

Pangos 13 ppg 3 apg 2 topg
Perkins 9 ppg 3 apg 3 topg

I'm not saying Perkins doesn't have plenty to work and get better at but he's nowhere near as bad as some are making him out to be. Anybody with bball IQ can see the potential oozing out of him.

Zaga
11-30-2015, 05:18 AM
Great post Maynard. Thought I'd throw out some stats as well. Obviously Pangos' stats are for the whole year but...

Pangos 13 ppg 3 apg 2 topg
Perkins 9 ppg 3 apg 3 topg

I'm not saying Perkins doesn't have plenty to work and get better at but he's nowhere near as bad as some are making him out to be. Anybody with bball IQ can see the potential oozing out of him.

I just believed the early hype that Josh was an elite guard and ready to show it . While it is early in his career and a whole year in the program with KP, I had illusions of grandeur that he would be ready from day one as the point for the Zag's.

TexasZagFan
11-30-2015, 06:36 AM
I just believed the early hype that Josh was an elite guard and ready to show it . While it is early in his career and a whole year in the program with KP, I had illusions of grandeur that he would be ready from day one as the point for the Zag's.

Completely understandable. I recall the expectations for Tim Hardaway when he arrived in El Paso. The hype was comparable, articles/conversations about how he held his own against Isaiah Thomas in pickup games in Chicago, how he was the son of a Chicago hoops legend, etc.

Although the hype was confined to West Texas, it still was in a city of over 500,000, with an arena capacity of 12,222. His freshman year, he missed several key free throws down the stretch in Laramie, Wyoming, contributing mightily to the loss. I was in the minority when I said that experience will make him better. During his senior year, Haskins ran his offense through Tim at least 75% of the time.

Is Perks another Hardaway? Who knows, but I'm willing to give the young man the opportunity.

zagfan24
11-30-2015, 06:39 AM
I for one thought that Josh coming off basically a red shirt year...

I think this is the misconception that has set up particularly unfair expectations for Josh Perkins early on. During a red shirt year you are practicing and playing constantly, improving conditioning and strength, etc. Josh had a pretty significant injury which took a decent amount of time to recover from. He lost a lot of weight and strength, and went a long stretch of time without having a ball in his hands or running up and down the court. Yeah he had some offseason work, but he really missed out on a lot of basketball over the last year.