PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Texas A&M post game thread

Reborn
11-26-2015, 11:21 AM
Gonzaga 61
Texas A&M 62

Well, it is easy to say why the Zags lost. FOUL SHOOTING. Zags shoot 4-11 for 36%. Texas A&M 13-16. Foul shooting wins close games. It's that simple.

Otherwise I felt it was a good game, especially for Perkins in the second half. It was good to see. I felt the Zags bigs really let the team down. Today, they were certainly NOT the best frontcourt in the nation. Sabonis played horrible, and PK nearly horrible. Wiltjer faded in the second half and committed some crucial turnovers. Dranginis had a good first half but I flet played bad in the second half. He too had some crucial turnovers. Turnovers continue to be a problem for the Zags, but honestly it was the turnovers by our bigs that really hurt today. Gonzaga will not win many games when Sabonis scores only 2 points.

Texas A&M showed how to guard Sabonis. Steal the ball from him when he dribbles or get charges. Sabonis is NOT even close to being ready for the NBA in my mind.He really plays out of control. Yes...he's good against bad teams, but certainly not against a very good defensive team like Texas A&M.

Wiltjer was held to 5 points the second half, and never got to the free-thow line. One last point. I felt the refering, in the last 5 min really favored Texas A&M. They shot nothing but free-throws down the stretch.

CdAZagFan
11-26-2015, 11:28 AM
Defnitely thought Perkins did a little growing up in this game. He needs to be aggressive (and he also needs to hit his free throws). So I feel good about that. I wasn't sure why Melson didn't get the ball back to Perkins or even Wiltjer (who was in the corner) on that last shot. I thought we shot the 3 a little better today also. Wish they could have snuck a W there, but hopefully they can learn from this. Tomorrow's game is going to be even tougher... so they have a good chance to show they still belong.

raise the zag
11-26-2015, 11:35 AM
FT's were huge. Our guards seem to rush the shot, their guards seem to take their time at the line, yet they are all Seniors, it showed...

Perkins needed this type of game. Can't play the pleaser and the player at the same time at this level. Make them guard our guards.

Stepped up at the right time, made huge plays, showed his shooting touch, wish he woulda hit his FT's.

The couple FREE, NO DEFENSE 3pt shots we gave them at end of 1st half really killed us as well.

We finally started to defend with some gusto.

Silas Melson is 2 - 12 FG last 2 games and he takes the final shot?

More Alberts (smart, simple, shooter, defender, passer).

basketballzag
11-26-2015, 11:38 AM
Defnitely thought Perkins did a little growing up in this game. He needs to be aggressive (and he also needs to hit his free throws). So I feel good about that. I wasn't sure why Melson didn't get the ball back to Perkins or even Wiltjer (who was in the corner) on that last shot. I thought we shot the 3 a little better today also. Wish they could have snuck a W there, but hopefully they can learn from this. Tomorrow's game is going to be even tougher... so they have a good chance to show they still belong.

We were never going to go undefeated this season and to be quite honest it sucks losing the game but the Zags played their best game of the season as a unit. The team was in sync for most of the game. Perkins came alive for the first time today and gained mastic confidence. Missed opportunities ((FT misses & a couple of bad fouls) were the only black marks today. A&M is the real deal but if they played GU 10 times they would lose 8 of those games.

Not going to win them all!

I'll add that today's game did show flaws in Sabonis game that he needs to work on and I'm sure he will

dan71w
11-26-2015, 11:39 AM
poor free throws yes, but i thought the fantom calls hurt us more than anything. Am i blaming the refs? no but they did not help. at the end it was the free throws that killed us.

CDC84
11-26-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure this team is going to beat many top 25 teams when Sabonis fouls out with just two points. To me, that was the biggest story of the game. More than the missed foul shots.

He did this a few times last year. A couple of plays don't go his way, and then he gets all frustrated and it goes down hill from there. GU can't afford to have that occur in these big games. He didn't need to have a great game for GU to win this game. Just a solid one.

Birddog
11-26-2015, 01:06 PM
Wiltjer's 4 and Sabonis 2 TO's hurt a lot too. They were trying to dribble in a crowd in the paint and A&M was ready and prepared for that mistake.TAMU had a good game plan.

RenoZag
11-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Jim Meehan's game story:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/nov/26/gonzaga-drops-close-one-to-texas-am/

“I was proud of our guys, especially in the second half I thought we really toughened up,” coach Mark Few said. “We played great defensively and held them to six baskets (in the second half). We just missed a ton of free throws where could have extended that lead. And the way we were playing defense it probably would have been good enough to get us over the hump.”

“To their credit, they got to the line.”

Reborn
11-26-2015, 04:51 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how many very easy shots PK missed. Way, way too many. As good as Texas A&M is Gonzaga is better. They did NOT play well at all today, imo. this should have been a win, and maybe there will be more focus on bunnies and FTs tomorrow. As good as Perkis played, he can NOT SHOOT 1-5 FROM THE FOUL LINE.
Just an opinion.

jim77
11-26-2015, 10:17 PM
Tough loss.

Couple of things here....The bigs need to pass out of the double and quit forcing it....dribbling into traffic isn't gonna get it done. Next thing we did was bring the defense out 3 feet beyong the 3 line to stop A&M's easy looks. We sag on the 3 line against UCONN, they will eat us alive. UCONN is tougher than A&M so the Zags had best play their "A" game or they'll go home with 2 losses.