PDA

View Full Version : Why this Hurts.

zagsfanforlife
11-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Now you get Syracuse tomorrow, a borderline tourney team. You lose to A&M, a top 20? maybe team, and now just AZ who is top 25 remains on the schedule.

You win out in the WCC, and still get MAYBE 2? seed, 3 seed?

At least if you win this, you can lose in the finals maybe to a top team in Uconn. And still have that top win on your resume

jimmycarter
11-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Considering the inexperience of some of our guards (and how shaky we looked when A&M went zone), the potential matchup with Syracuse scares me. You know what you're going to get from them: Long, disruptive athletes playing a well-coached 2-3 zone. Still, a good learning experience for our young guys.

raise the zag
11-26-2015, 12:13 PM
cost us a seed line at minimum, no doubt.

Texas A&M will end up being a Top-15 team this season. Will beat most SEC teams not named Kentucky.

My biggest concern right now is that we gave a ton of effort this game…how much left in the tank?

Well…Sabonis should be rested.

CDC84
11-26-2015, 12:15 PM
Syracuse isn't as long as they normally are. However, they shoot the 3 well.

Gonzaga needs to win this next game, they will be fine.

willandi
11-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Well crap. If that loss cost us so much, let's just cancel the rest of the season!

Zagdawg
11-26-2015, 12:18 PM
On a positive note -- this game will help "Sabonis" understand what his Euro coach and dad said about him needing to work on parts of his game before he moves to the next level.

It would be great to have him for 1 more year.

zagsfanforlife
11-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Well crap. If that loss cost us so much, let's just cancel the rest of the season!

I must have missed the part where i wrote that it costs us the season. Thanks for helping me see where i wrote that

Reborn
11-26-2015, 12:26 PM
I don't believe it hurts that much. I saw some good things. Maybe our bigs will wake up now. I think the talk about the Zags having the best froncourt in the country will end now. I am really happy with Perkins' second half, and that is why it doesn't hurt. We will suffer losses for sure as our team works toward team chemistry.

MDABE80
11-26-2015, 12:33 PM
No worries.....so we got one out of the system! Now we can focus on tomorrow and the rest of the season. A and M is a good team. We lost by 1. I doubt this'll matter much in the end. We just need to win some games. We will. SIlas needs work. Josh came alive which is good.
Domas fouling out is pretty bad....so it's a bit of a setback with him.
I do think Emac will be fine as will Dranginis. Looks like we're a bit short on players . Williams and Goss would help..no go this year.

As has been said multiple times, I think we'll miss KP and Bell more than we thought. Just press on. We got a a one loss out of our system. Go Zags.

CdAZagFan
11-26-2015, 12:35 PM
Still early but still waiting to see how this backcourt shapes up... Perkins took a step forward, but the other 3 didn't do much. I do like KD's hustle - he gets us a few extra possessions (and it was great to see him hit a couple of early 3's). But would like to see someone else be an offensive threat. These teams in this tournament are a great test for these guys... Really wasn't expecting this team to get a 1 or 2 seed anyway, so they've got some room to grow. Just go out and improve over the course of the season!

Zagger
11-26-2015, 12:38 PM
Hurts - Yep, all losses hurt - ortherwise it's good as it identifies quite well what the TEAM needs to work on. It's a transition year. You can't have losing two 4 year starters in P&B not making a considerable difference in the team. Focus, focus, focus on what work needs to be done and this bunch of Zags WILL mature into a formidable foe. It'll take some time but not much. My confidence is in Few's court and in the members of this team in the willingness to learn/win. I really like the Zag program - win or lose. Why? Because they'll get better and do so with LOTS of character. Go Zags!

ZagLawGrad
11-26-2015, 12:38 PM
Every loss hurts if you want to play close to home in March.

willandi
11-26-2015, 01:02 PM
I must have missed the part where i wrote that it costs us the season. Thanks for helping me see where i wrote that
"Now you get Syracuse tomorrow, a borderline tourney team. You lose to A&M, a top 20? maybe team, and now just AZ who is top 25 remains on the schedule.

At least if you win this, you can lose in the finals maybe to a top team in Uconn. And still have that top win on your resume"

Sorry, I didn't realize that I had quoted you. You do realize the Uconn/Syracuse haven't finished yet today?

You also must realize that if the Zags win out, we are National Champs.

It's only the 4th game of the year, I was just over-reacting like everybody else!

VinnyZag
11-26-2015, 01:18 PM
This loss won't hurt them in March, and I doubt the Zags will lose too many more games (dare I say any?) in the nonconference. Plus we saw Perkins turn a corner, I think. So, no, it doesn't hurt too much.

gonzagafan62
11-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Doesn't really concern me. Guards really showed up today. Should be more encouraging then the outcome of a basketball game. Proud of my team today. Go zags

gonzagafan62
11-26-2015, 02:05 PM
This loss won't hurt them in March, and I doubt the Zags will lose too many more games (dare I say any?) in the nonconference. Plus we saw Perkins turn a corner, I think. So, no, it doesn't hurt too much.

Oh we will lose more. Probably tomorrow too. Just don't be too down about it. This team will be clicking by March and be very scary

willandi
11-26-2015, 02:37 PM
Now you get Syracuse tomorrow, a borderline tourney team. You lose to A&M, a top 20? maybe team, and now just AZ who is top 25 remains on the schedule.

At least if you win this, you can lose in the finals maybe to a top team in Uconn. And still have that top win on your resume

As it turns out, Syracuse beat UConn. So we get #18 UConn tomorrow.

10 Piece Bucket
11-26-2015, 03:33 PM
Well well well
Hand wringing is not needed.
The Lads will come through!
Anyone who might be questoning the Coach on some other thread might want to recosnider their motives.
STAY STRONG ZAG NATION! !7

Mantua
11-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Every loss hurts if you want to play close to home in March.

I hate playing for March this early in the season. Who knows what will happen with so much parity. Maybe the most important games in the NCAA will be in February with surprising losses throughout and an opening for the Zags.

Close losses are agony.

Hoopaholic
11-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Actually will help in the learning department. IMO. Unless we have a complete collapse we will be just fine

thespywhozaggedme
11-26-2015, 06:00 PM
Syracuse? If your season projection is anything like your opponent prognostication, I think we'll be in great shape.

TexasZagFan
11-27-2015, 06:04 AM
"Now you get Syracuse tomorrow, a borderline tourney team. You lose to A&M, a top 20? maybe team, and now just AZ who is top 25 remains on the schedule.

At least if you win this, you can lose in the finals maybe to a top team in Uconn. And still have that top win on your resume"

Sorry, I didn't realize that I had quoted you. You do realize the Uconn/Syracuse haven't finished yet today?

You also must realize that if the Zags win out, we are National Champs.

It's only the 4th game of the year, I was just over-reacting like everybody else!

Toughest game of the year is in 10 weeks: SMU on 2/16. This will be their NCAA Tournament game, since they're on probation.

Mr Vulture
11-27-2015, 08:59 AM
This loss is not a big deal...good lord! They have an entire season to play and those that thought this team was going to go undefeated in league and maybe lose 1 or 2 games all year are gonna be in for a reality check. That doesn't mean this team won't be much better later this year, they will be. I could care less about seeding in the NCAA tournament as long as we are in the Top 4 lines. This loss will not hurt us in that respect...bad losses later on would.

gu03alum
11-27-2015, 10:21 AM
Anybody want to buy my Spokane NCAA tickets now that Gonzaga is most likely being sent to Providence as a bubble 11 seed if they even make the tournament at all.

Hoopaholic
11-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Anybody want to buy my Spokane NCAA tickets now that Gonzaga is most likely being sent to Providence as a bubble 11 seed if they even make the tournament at all.

Sure face value?

Bogozags
11-27-2015, 12:35 PM
This one point loss will not have a negative effect on our RPI at the end of the season, especially if A&M finishes in the top three and goes to the Dance...last year we lost to AZ in OT and that didn't hurt us...still got an excellent seed...

I think the game of the year in OCC play has to be AZ at home...this one we need to win as IMO AZ will win the P12...

And as Yogi said, "It ain't over till it's over!" It's a long way from being over...