PDA

View Full Version : GU vs Texas A&M game predictions and what you would like to see

Reborn
11-25-2015, 07:56 PM
Gonzaga 83
Texas A&M 76

Our experience in the posts is too much for A&M also. Our 3 bigs are just incredible and play a great game. We see progress in our guard. Once again Gonzaga's defense is sturdy and tough. Good rebounding too. Melson has a much better game. Wiltjer gets 27 Sabonis 22

I want to see our bigs continue to dominate in the paint. Wiltjer breaks out finally from beyond the arc. I want to see him have a great game. I believe it will be tougher inside and our guards answer the bell. Our guards hit 5 three's and Wiltjer 3.

Go Zags!!!

CDC84
11-25-2015, 08:05 PM
Both Greenberg and Williams are picking A&M.

MTZag03
11-25-2015, 08:44 PM

All is lost!

sittingon50
11-25-2015, 08:45 PM
KenPom = Zags by 4.

MTZag03
11-25-2015, 08:52 PM
So far we've been a pretty decent defensive team. A&M can't stop us inside. So it's the same analysis so far this season: can our guards score and not turn it over, and can we defend a scoring wing. My bet is yes. We have a great coach and plenty of versatile players at the 2-3 position to put it in GU's favor.

willandi
11-25-2015, 08:53 PM
I haven't seen A&M play, so don't know much about them. I don't understand how the prognosticators could pick them to beat the Zags unless they believe the rankings to be bad.
I see the inside game to be too much for A&M to defend. If they sag, the outside game WILL beat them.

Zags 85 A&M 70

worked for the Huskies, missed by 1 point each way, I'll let it ride!

ProjectMKUltra5
11-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Anybody know what time the game is tomorrow?

MBZags
11-25-2015, 09:08 PM
10 a.m. PT

23dpg
11-25-2015, 09:13 PM
I think the guards will play better.
I think that Gonzaga will win by 5. Let's say 79-74.
I think I'll eat a lot of turkey afterwards.

CdAZagFan
11-25-2015, 09:41 PM
Close game - guards play better, but competition is also better... GU 81 A&M 79

northsidezagfan
11-25-2015, 10:31 PM
13 and 6 for Perkins, Zags by 9.

Coach Crazy
11-25-2015, 10:55 PM
Zags by 18.

zagamatic
11-25-2015, 11:08 PM
I simply predict that I'll be able to watch this game live instead of being stuck at work :-)

WallaWallaZag
11-26-2015, 12:56 AM
a&m scares me...they are basically the opposite of the zags...talented but inexperienced in the post with good senior guards. i tend to favor teams with the more experienced backcourt. and unlike uw, they have the size to compete with the zags inside. they also have two very good very big athletic wings that zags have struggled with in the past...dranginis is gonna have his hands full.

aggies also appear to be a better outside shooting team than the zags...wiltjer really needs to get his shooting stroke back.

Zagger
11-26-2015, 04:39 AM
Zags ranked 10-ish, TA&M 25-30-ish should be a good game. Still, Zags can put up points and I believe they learned a Few things yesterday. Zag D is pretty good. TA&M, don't really know squat about them. Will stick my neck out, as I'm accustomed to do, and say Zags 88, TA&M 66. I feel we'll see much better ball control by the Zags this time with our D and hustle giving the opposition fits - steals by all guards - most noticeably Melson. Bigs will do great and wise play by Zag guards make for a 22 pt spread - via much fewer TOs. Alberts with at least 3 3s :)
Go Zags!

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-26-2015, 05:07 AM
Beating UW in first big game experience of the season gives our younger guards confidence and momentum. Zags don't score so easily in the post today, but Perkins Melson and Alberts pick up the scoring and Zags win by 7.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

LongIslandZagFan
11-26-2015, 06:08 AM
Aggies 168
Zag 40

zagsfanforlife
11-26-2015, 06:48 AM
Im laughing here at people predicting 20+ pt victories for GU. Texas a & m is a very good team. If we will by 10 i would be ecstatic. i see us winning by 6.

raise the zag
11-26-2015, 07:02 AM
When I think of potential "Zag Killers" this season, I think:

-- Slashing, mobile PF's

-- Long, athletic Wings

-- Experienced, solid shooting, disciplined backcourt

-- Comparable size/depth in front court

Interestingly enough, Texas A&M is one of very FEW teams that feature every 'Zag Killer' I can think of this season.

I can count on one hand the teams that feature all four issues Zags have had trouble with. A&M is able to draw fouls in the interior unlike any team we've faced, a complete opposite of UW.

Not even higher ranked UConn does -- A&M is a feared match-up.

I think this will be a good game, potentially great one.

I believe we trail most of it. Along the lines of the Pitt game. A&M and Pitt are VERY similar, except A&M features bigger bodies up front, and a 4-year, high scoring, proven PG.

The Zags will make a come-back to win this game. Trailing by 10-12 pts with 10 mins to go.

I think Witljer and Karno step up to score key buckets down the stretch. Tie the game with about 90 seconds to go.

Wiltjer or Domas hit a clutch shot to pull ahead and our guard do just enough to pull it out in the end.

I'm thinking a very close, clutch Zag win.

Zaggies - 74
aggies sans Z - 72

VinnyZag
11-26-2015, 07:14 AM
Interestingly, Texas A&M is third nationally in effective field goal percentage (63.2%) on KenPom, and the Zags are second nationally in eFG defense (32.5). So something has to give. Not sure those stats mean a ton at this point in the season, but interesting nonetheless.

raise the zag
11-26-2015, 07:29 AM
Interestingly, Texas A&M is third nationally in effective field goal percentage (63.2%) on KenPom, and the Zags are second nationally in eFG defense (32.5). So something has to give. Not sure those stats mean a ton at this point in the season, but interesting nonetheless.

Good point.

Solid 3pt shooting team too.

If they are hitting shots, we'll be in trouble…

Something has to give.

Have a feeling their game plan will be to draw fouls on our bigs. Our one advantage is that their bigs are BIG too, but young.

Their guards are better than our guards.

A&M has an advantage in the backcourt and they have really tall, slashing wings.

Our advantage, once again, is in the front court.

Texas A&M's leading scorer is their 6'7" athletic combo guard, Danuel House, who can shoot from deep, draw fouls, and slash to the hoop. Who defends him??? Maybe more Bryan Alberts this game?

ZagLawGrad
11-26-2015, 07:54 AM
Zags didn't go to the Bahamas to lose to a Texas football school. Look for a much better game from our guards.

Zags win by 7.

Coach Crazy
11-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Im laughing here at people predicting 20+ pt victories for GU. Texas a & m is a very good team. If we will by 10 i would be ecstatic. i see us winning by 6.

Meh. There were also people worried about the Washington game (which I don't understand). Zags have the ability to roll this team and stay up with a big lead.

Therunner
11-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Meh. There were also people worried about the Washington game (which I don't understand). Zags have the ability to roll this team and stay up with a big lead.

Posted this in the official game thread, yet here are A&M's stats this season.

After 5 games:

- Ranked 8th nationally in points per game.

- Ranked 3rd nationally in effective field goal %.

- Ranked 10th nationally in 3P% (45%).

- Ranked 3rd nationally in assists per game.

- Ranked 40th nationally in assists to turnover ratio.

I don't care if they played NAIA teams all season, the #'s are still telling…they can shoot, pass, take care of the ball, and 3pt snipers. Gulp.

Interestingly, A&M features more ESPN Top-100 recruits on their team than UW! I was floored by that alone, not to mention their leading scorer is a 6'7" WING, and their 2nd leading scorer is a 6'10", 270 lb Tim Duncan looking CENTER!

They are capable of drawing fouls, playing big on the inside, using their size advantage on perimeter, and hit 3pt shots.

I'd rather be playing Arizona than A&M, to be honest.

A&M is predicted to finish 1st or 2nd in SEC depending on who you ask.

Bogozags
11-26-2015, 08:17 AM

Their guards are awfully quick and House is going to be a handful...we are going to have to play awfully good to have a positive outcome. If our guards don't shoot well, then A&M will sag and take the post opportunities away from us...

I think we have the better team but that doesn't always translates into winning...

I like our chances because of our coaching staff and senior experience...

I also think we won't have as many fouls called on us...just have to make sure our screens are set...

A&M will have foul issues today...

RenoZag
11-26-2015, 08:22 AM
Aggies 80
Zaggies 75

I think the turnovers finally catch up to GU. Hope I am wrong, of course.

Zagricultural
11-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Oh ye of little faith... Today we spank the Aggies!

Reborn
11-26-2015, 08:46 AM
Game Day. And I'm ready. I love it when the analysts have the Zags as underdogs. it get's me fired up; and I can imagine the team too. It's going to be a good game, better than yesterday's, but it should be. It's the semi's. If the Zags are truly #10 in the country they will win. I really like our post players and they will win it for us.

HenneZag
11-26-2015, 08:59 AM
Should be a great game. Our plan won't change, feed the post and try to hammer them down low. We will always have the advantage down low but the game is going to come down to turnovers. Our guards need to keep the defense honest and hit some perimeter shots to keep that balance. Texas A&M has some slashers and length on the wing that will give us a big challenge so I'm looking forward to seeing what we do there. Our defense is much better than anything they have seen yet so I don't think T A&M will be as successful as they have been to this point. This is the type of team we need to play and I'm confident we come out on atop.

SwainZag
11-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Kyle is due for a good shooting game. Pound the ball inside and open him up in the 2nd half. KW goes for 30+ with 7 3's.

Zags 89
TAMU 73

Jstock12
11-26-2015, 09:16 AM
Kyle is due for a good shooting game. Pound the ball inside and open him up in the 2nd half. KW goes for 30+ with 7 3's.

Zags 89
TAMU 73

Shem goes for a triple double, 12pts, 10rebs & 10asts.

zagsfanforlife
11-26-2015, 09:20 AM

Triano with 4 3's, 8 dimes and 4 floor burns.

Jstock12
11-26-2015, 09:24 AM
Triano with 4 3's, 8 dimes and 4 floor burns.

Well if Triano accomplishes those stats, it means Zags will have 30+ lead by the halftime. I like that prediction.

krii
11-26-2015, 09:31 AM

and at least 4 blocks. 4/5 from 2 and 4/5 from FT. And the most important ... The Presence, The D, The Defensive Monster, The Block, The Shem-lock ;-)

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-26-2015, 09:31 AM
Wiltjer will have an All-American stat line: 26-10 and a pair of assists. Sabonis will get 18-12. It will be enough.

Zags 74. Aggies 68.

Coach Crazy
11-26-2015, 09:57 AM
Posted this in the official game thread, yet here are A&M's stats this season.

After 5 games:

- Ranked 8th nationally in points per game.

- Ranked 3rd nationally in effective field goal %.

- Ranked 10th nationally in 3P% (45%).

- Ranked 3rd nationally in assists per game.

- Ranked 40th nationally in assists to turnover ratio.

I don't care if they played NAIA teams all season, the #'s are still telling…they can shoot, pass, take care of the ball, and 3pt snipers. Gulp.

Interestingly, A&M features more ESPN Top-100 recruits on their team than UW! I was floored by that alone, not to mention their leading scorer is a 6'7" WING, and their 2nd leading scorer is a 6'10", 270 lb Tim Duncan looking CENTER!

They are capable of drawing fouls, playing big on the inside, using their size advantage on perimeter, and hit 3pt shots.

I'd rather be playing Arizona than A&M, to be honest.

A&M is predicted to finish 1st or 2nd in SEC depending on who you ask.

I'm sorry, I hear what you are saying, but please refer to their schedule. They have played a team with "Upstate" i the name, they played an A & M with a city name after it, and the UNC Asheville team they beat? Their lone victory is to a team called "Mars Hill".

They're woefully undersized. And if they do play tall on the wing they are going to have to have really crisp defensive rotations and responsible assignment D, or they're going to have some situations like what we saw yesterday with Andrew Andrews (I believe it was him?) ending up guarding a player in the post.

They are starting Trocha and Davis, and 3 guards.

raise the zag
11-26-2015, 10:02 AM
I'm sorry, I hear what you are saying, but please refer to their schedule. They have played a team with "Upstate" i the name, they played an A & M with a city name after it, and the UNC Asheville team they beat? Their lone victory is to a team called "Mars Hill".

They're woefully undersized. And if they do play tall on the wing they are going to have to have really crisp defensive rotations and responsible assignment D, or they're going to have some situations like what we saw yesterday with Andrew Andrews (I believe it was him?) ending up guarding a player in the post.

They are starting Trocha and Davis, and 3 guards.

All good points, save 'undersized'.

Their 2 guard is the same height as their small forward...both 6'7". Going to be intriguing watching McClellan & Dranginis each guard 6'7" guys who can shoot, slash, & dribble.

Don't leave out their 5*, Top-25 player who is 6'10", 270.

They are twice the size as UW.

Actually, they are just more experienced, bigger version of UW.