PDA

View Full Version : McClellan

Rio Runner
11-25-2015, 02:37 PM
I know Coach Few loves conservative guards who play tough defense (Altidor-Cespedes, Goodson, Bell), but I don't see us making any major runs this year if McClellan plays big minutes. He is a woeful offensive player -- no jumper, can't hit a free throw, can't create his own shot, not vertical (that missed dunk was cringe worthy), and makes questionable decisions. Few raves about McClellan's defense, but he has exactly zero steals this year. He was one of the worst players on the court today, and Few gave him 34 minutes.

Perkins, on the other hand, is a player. And while Melson and Alberts are raw, they do show flashes. Maybe Few's plan is to ease them more into the rotation as the season progresses? I'm not saying McClellan doesn't have some place in the rotation (maybe 5-10 minutes?), but when he is on the court, we are playing 4 against 5 on the offensive end.

Yeah, we easily beat an overmatched Washington team today, as we should have. But I can't see us beating teams like Kentucky, Duke, Arizona, Michigan State, etc. if McClellan is playing 30+ minutes a game.

Coach Crazy
11-25-2015, 02:43 PM
One of my biggest frustrations, actually, hasn't even been mentioned. There were points in the game where they picked up their dribbles in bad spaces and at inopportune times. We are already going to see more turnovers than last year, just from running the offense. No need to create more and potentially situations that lead to fast break points off the turnover.

BUT you can't just pull minutes from EMac this early on. Need to let him find his game. It's going to be a juggling effort to add Melson and BA to the mix, as well. However, I think we are experience the basketball equivalent of "First world" or "1%" problems.

MickMick
11-25-2015, 02:44 PM
I would enthusiastically swap him for Demetri Goodson. He honestly makes me miss Meech.

If a young player doesn't push EMac out, GU is in big trouble.

zagsfanforlife
11-25-2015, 02:44 PM
I know Coach Few loves conservative guards who play tough defense (Altidor-Cespedes, Goodson, Bell), but I don't see us making any major runs this year if McClellan plays big minutes. He is a woeful offensive player -- no jumper, can't hit a free throw, can't create his own shot, not vertical (that missed dunk was cringe worthy), and makes questionable decisions. Few raves about McClellan's defense, but he has exactly zero steals this year. He was one of the worst players on the court today, and Few gave him 34 minutes.

Perkins, on the other hand, is a player. And while Melson and Alberts are raw, they do show flashes. Maybe Few's plan is to ease them more into the rotation as the season progresses? I'm not saying McClellan doesn't have some place in the rotation (maybe 5-10 minutes?), but when he is on the court, we are playing 4 against 5 on the offensive end.

Yeah, we easily beat an overmatched Washington team today, as we should have. But I can't see us beating teams like Kentucky, Duke, Arizona, Michigan State, etc. if McClellan is playing 30+ minutes a game.

Cant say i dont agree....hoping Emac turns it around if Few continues to give him tons of time. If i was Coach, which I am not, i think right now i would go Alberts and Perk in the backcourt.

jazzdelmar
11-25-2015, 02:47 PM
Agree. Mac is better coming off the bench as he did last year. Just really clumsy with the ball, hardly a quality u want in your pt guard. I would like to see a Josh Alberts backcourt with Mac and Melson off the bench. I just do not see Mac improving, this is his fourth year of D1. Just a nice college player.

sittingon50
11-25-2015, 02:52 PM
He had a bit of a rough one today, but apparently he has earned the job in the day after day practices.

jazzdelmar
11-25-2015, 02:55 PM
I would enthusiastically swap him for Demetri Goodson. He honestly makes me miss Meech.

Meech had a nice handle. But he was even worse on O than Mac. And a smurf.

23zagmd
11-25-2015, 03:02 PM
for the love of god....did you watch the game?

btzag
11-25-2015, 03:17 PM
for the love of god....did you watch the game?

Exactly. Perkins was erratic and super sloppy with the ball today AND in foul trouble. Emac right now is playing the best of the four guards but I think Few is begging any of the four to step up, play smart and most of all under control! Perkins was even playing off guard most of the time he was on the court...

Waiting for Bell
11-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Respectfully disagree. McClellan had a tough game, but I'm far from riding him off. I know he wasn't responsible for all of it, but holding Andrews Squared to 4-17 shooting was a big part of this victory. He brings this team a hard nosed identity on d-fense.
His offense needs help but he will start to finish better around the rim. His outside shot just needs to be respectable.

So I'll take the opposite view, if McClellan isn't playing 25-30 minutes at the end of the year, then I don't think we get over the hump and beat the Arizona's, Dukes, etc of the world. I'm sticking with him. We are going to need him against the ultra Athletic guards.

cggonzaga
11-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Ridiculous OP. He's a terrific defender, very athletic with great hops, and gets to the rim at will. He needs to tighten his handles and knock down more free throws. Watch the missed dunk today again, his foot hits another players as he's going up. See his dunk in the exhibition game and tell me he can't dunk.

ZagLawGrad
11-25-2015, 03:55 PM
He played pretty poorly today as far as ball handling and his offense.

But he will get better sooner than later, IMO.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-25-2015, 04:07 PM
We have five scholarship players who can run the three guard positions. Dranginis will spend most of his time as the third guard/small forward. The other four all need to make meaningful contributions. They all need playing time to develop individually and as a unit. The coaches will play all of them while they work through these early games.

We do not have the luxury of benching any of them if one of them has a bad night. I believe that they will bring it all together as the season progresses and be a much better unit in February than they are at this time.

On a positive note, none of them ever looked rattled or afraid of the moment in the face of the Washington pressure. They made some bad passes, but those mistakes can be corrected with experience.

Worthington
11-25-2015, 04:07 PM
He hasn't been as good as I expected, but I still think he's bringing something to the table.

He's such an important player to our success on the defensive end. He's not as polished as a defender as GBJ, but he has so much potential as a lockdown defender, I really think we're going to really on him down the stretch in certain matchups to get us stops.

His handle was pretty painful to watch today, but he was one of the only guards who actually attacked the pressure on occasion. He also seems to have very little vision passing the ball as he routinely does not hit the big posting up down low. He plays very unselfishly though, I'd just like to see him make that entry pass more often.

Offensively he definitely hasn't put it together yet, but he's hard to stay in front of. He attacked nicely a few times today and got into the paint, just haven't seen him finish around the rim like he can. The jump shot is not a thing of beauty, but he can hit it from deep when his feet are set.

Bottom line for me, I think EMac is crucial to our success. I don't know if he'll keep getting 30+ minutes a game down the road (I've got high hopes that Melson can really come into his own), but for right now I don't have a problem with his playing time. Just like any of younger guards I expect him to get better and better with each game.

Goshzagit
11-25-2015, 04:13 PM
More Alberts!

zag buddy
11-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Rio one of the worst posts I've seen this year. As the newer players learn where they should be on the court at all times the better E-mac will look. Dumb post.

MDABE80
11-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Emac will be fine. he's got tons of talent. He'll improve.By the 10th game everyone will eat their words.

zag buddy
11-25-2015, 04:41 PM
Rio if I followed your logic and the way all of the guards are playing I would start and play the 4 bigs and triango. Triango is optional of course.

Reborn
11-25-2015, 04:55 PM
The good news is McClelan and our guards play very good defense. That's important at this time of year. Their offense will come bit by bit. I think our guards are very athletic, and imo handled UW's freshmen guards quite well. Before the game that was the story here on GUboards. The word on this board was we would not be able to handle their penetrating, attacking guards. And we did. And overall, I felt we handled the press. We made mistakes, but that was their (UW's) strength. Many of our to's were called on our bigs too, and many were a result of a game that was called very very close. Remember. It was only our 3rd game. I like the fact that we have 5 guards who can play and contribute.

MTZag03
11-25-2015, 06:21 PM
First, some people need to relax a bit. No need to be hostile. This is especially true to other Zag fans after a win.

Second, I was just at TSSF reading their part game comments. Interestingly fairly pro EMac. I couldn't watch the game and could only follow the live box score so I can't comment. However there is certainly a diversity of opinions here.

My two cents. I trust Few, but I do want more Albert's. No opinion on EMac as I just haven't seen enough to say anything.

SunDevilGolfZag
11-25-2015, 06:40 PM
Emac will be fine. he's got tons of talent. He'll improve.By the 10th game everyone will eat their words.
I second this post and predict EM will be a difference maker in some big wins

TexasZagFan
11-25-2015, 06:57 PM

Our guards are learning how to run the offense. Our bigs had nearly 70 points and 25 boards, and we were in control 3 minutes in the game. This is what nonconference games are for...enjoy this team, these remarkable young men.

ZagLawGrad
11-25-2015, 07:03 PM
Our guards are learning how to run the offense. Our bigs had nearly 70 points and 25 boards, and we were in control 3 minutes in the game. This is what nonconference games are for...enjoy this team, these remarkable young men.

Steady improvement over next few months and all will be good.

Zagricultural
11-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Ridiculous thread! I love all the guys, and hate to see them personally trashed! Criticize aspects of their game, but don't stoop to this. Remember this is a PUBLIC forum. I am personally enjoying watching the whole team grow. My biggest gripe by far is the free throw shooting

webspinnre
11-25-2015, 07:36 PM
He's definitely got some work to do on decision-making with the ball, when to shoot, etc, but overall I thought he was solid today.

Birddog
11-25-2015, 07:37 PM
I thought Emac played his best game til 16 or 17 mins into the 1st half, then he started to lose control. He'll be alright if he keeps improving.

timgozags
11-25-2015, 08:39 PM
Everyone except our 3 bigs played bad today offensively. Mark Fews has to use what he has. At least McClellan could keep up with those UW athletic players.

basketballzag
11-25-2015, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=webspinnre;1148222]He's definitely got some work to do on decision-making with the ball, when to shoot, etc, but overall I thought he was solid today.[/QUOTE

I suggest those who are criticizing his game rewatch the game again. He had a few miscues but did a terrific job. The best play I've saw today was his 360 roll around juke that faked two UW players for 2 from about 15 ft. Someone needs to gif that play because it was an insane move.

ZagsGoZags
11-25-2015, 09:05 PM
Eric and Josh picked up their dribble way too often I thought. I was amazed UW didn't press us more, and try to trap emac and Josh P more. I expect we will run into an opponent soon who will try to abuse our young guards. On the other hand it is nice to see the athleticism of all our guards, except possibly Kyle D. something we often haven't had. The more pressure perkins comes under the more he will grow.

northsidezagfan
11-25-2015, 09:27 PM

Absurd.

maynard g krebs
11-25-2015, 10:02 PM
First, some people need to relax a bit. No need to be hostile.

What's hostile is the OP. And I agree with those who are calling it ridiculous. Especially the lumping in of Bell with PMac and Meech. But you were bashing Bell the last few years too, so I guess McClellan is in some pretty good company.

jim77
11-25-2015, 10:36 PM

Disagree to a point.

We need to let emac get his minutes to work out the bugs and sometimes it takes athletes to stay with other athletes. The missed dunk didn't bother me at all...I want the kid to test defenses. Its not like we got nobody there to rebound. Emac will never be a a+ PG but he can do some damage.....he actually had a cool head in last year's dance. Few needs to give him his minutes...and KD too. Hes got more vertical then your giving him credit for.

WallaWallaZag
11-25-2015, 11:43 PM
emac certainly has his flaws on o...but he is the zags best on-ball defender. he learned how to use his body for positioning from gb2 last year and it shows...with the new rules regarding hand-checks and reach in fouls being constantly called, being able to defend with positioning is more important than ever. maybe not being "handsy" results in fewer steals, but also fewer fouls.

MDABE80
11-26-2015, 01:07 AM
Emac and WIltjer play excellent defense. This is good because defense iwns these games. Josh needs to settle down. If a fancy pass can be made, a normal on that gets to the target without confusing the receiver can be made too. Josh is a great passer so the bigs can do their business. I'd rather score only 70 ppg this year and keep the opponent to 65 pts. This year, with our bigs doing so well, I suspect this is how things will go. Emac is essential.....unless Silas and / or Alberts prove to be defensive stoppers.
I do beleive though, that guard play will get much much better with more games.

BULLDOG#1
11-26-2015, 06:53 AM
This thread is crazy.

Emac hasn't looked great offensively, but he can and does get to the rim and that opens things up for others. Sure, that dunk attempt looked awful, but I admire his chops for going for it. That attack mode is needed from GU guards.
Defensively, Emac is solid. He defends multiple positions and can keep up with top tier guards.

For the nay-sayers - imagine this backcourt without Emac.

Zagricultural
11-26-2015, 07:24 AM
This thread is crazy.

Emac hasn't looked great offensively, but he can and does get to the rim and that opens things up for others. Sure, that dunk attempt looked awful, but I admire his chops for going for it. That attack mode is needed from GU guards.
Defensively, Emac is solid. He defends multiple positions and can keep up with top tier guards.

For the nay-sayers - imagine this backcourt without Emac.

Exactly. He had two great layups erased because of could away from the ball too.

RenoZag
11-26-2015, 07:31 AM
I read this thread through post # 19 before watching the ( UW) game. Thought he actually played pretty well during the run to the 35-17 lead. Yes, he was spotty after that ( the dunk attempt was cringe-worthy ) but thought his contribution scale tilted more positive than negative.

Our guards WILL get better as the season moves on. Don't know if they'll get better in time to win the Battle for Atlantis. The Aggies will be a tough game and should GU win, I predict they'll likely face UCONN, another edition of a Kevin Ollie squad that has a world of talent.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

SunDevilGolfZag
11-27-2015, 12:06 PM

Well that didn't take too long. Excellent game all around by EMac today when we needed it

ZagsObserver
11-27-2015, 02:35 PM
Well that didn't take too long. Excellent game all around by EMac today when we needed it

Not an excellent game. An improved game. Zero assists as a point guard, averaging 1 assist per game, will not get GU to the promised land when the GU front court is the team's bread and butter.

SunDevilGolfZag
11-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Solid ball handling and 15 points in a tight victory. Time to lay off the guy

zag buddy
11-27-2015, 02:42 PM
I guess with our yearly record nothing short of perfection is acceptable.

ZagsGoZags
11-27-2015, 03:31 PM
why risk the dunk when you can lay it in
go for the high percentage play ...
this goes for melson too
I prefer the attitude Pangos and Bell had about this
if you're macho enough to try to dunk in traffic, you can be even more macho by making sure to get two points for your team

maynard g krebs
11-27-2015, 03:45 PM
Not an excellent game. An improved game. Zero assists as a point guard, averaging 1 assist per game, will not get GU to the promised land when the GU front court is the team's bread and butter.

Stats can lie. I saw a lot of good ball movement on his part. Good passes often don't necessarily result in assists being tallied. Sorry you missed it.

kclubfounder
11-27-2015, 03:59 PM
At least his last name isn't Stockton.

Can you imagine?! :eek:

ZagsObserver
11-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Stats can lie. I saw a lot of good ball movement on his part. Good passes often don't necessarily result in assists being tallied. Sorry you missed it.

Didn't miss it. EMac doesn't look down the floor and survey his teammates and movement well. He dribbles around, penetrates and passes. Predictable and not conducive to feeding the bigs or hitting guys at the appropriate times.

Very similar game to Goodson.

maynard g krebs
11-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Very similar game to Goodson.

LOL. Ridiculous.

MickMick
11-27-2015, 06:49 PM
I foresee a love/hate relationship. I would expect that his first quality showing would bring a tide of "I told ya so".

I'm happy to see him play well.

I promise not to bump this thread with the next stinker outing.

willandi
11-27-2015, 06:50 PM
As another thread has covered, Melson has a floater. E Mac wants to flush.

NumberCruncher
11-27-2015, 06:54 PM
As another thread has covered, Melson has a floater. E Mac wants to flush.

Can't stop laughing.

I suggest less fat in the diet.

Reborn
11-28-2015, 10:48 AM
I'm really happy to see EMAC have a really good game yesterday. Our (the fans here) expectations of him were high in the off-season and IMO should continue to be. We just need to keep reminding ourselves and each other that it's very early in the season, and it's going to get a lot better and prettier as the season rolls along. Emac had an awful lot to do with the Zags winning yesterday, and we will see more of that. His 3 point shooting was really good and really needed. I love it when a player makes posters eat crow. Hahahahahah Good job EMAC.

Mantua
11-28-2015, 11:38 AM
EMac did a respectable job filling in at the point. We need for him to keep scoring and be something of an outside threat, at least enough to make opponents defend him. His defense is absolutely necessary. The great news from the tournament is that our guards are good defenders and can shoot.

WallaWallaZag
11-28-2015, 05:49 PM
Didn't miss it. EMac doesn't look down the floor and survey his teammates and movement well. He dribbles around, penetrates and passes. Predictable and not conducive to feeding the bigs or hitting guys at the appropriate times. Very similar game to Goodson.

horrible comparison...meech was a pure point who had incredible handles...but was short and couldn't score...emac isn't a point guard...he's a combo being forced to play the point because perkins can't stay on the court. only similarity is that both are great athletes who can play d.