PDA

View Full Version : Series with Wazzu is Done

thegloriousgoateeofKP
11-24-2015, 01:11 PM
(But there's only a "probably not" from Coach Few.) Of course, we continue to schedule the Northern Arizonas with vigor.

http://sportspressnw.com/2211883/2015/gonzaga-ending-its-hoops-series-with-cougars

Zagdawg
11-24-2015, 01:19 PM
Good to see Kent understands that the Zags have a valid reason to put the series on hold.
Maybe they will continue the series at some point in the future.

With the "WCC" being so bad--it reinforced the requirement to play quality competition in the OOC.

RenoZag
11-24-2015, 01:22 PM
Maybe WSU could be one of the regular rotation opponents ( every third or fourth year ) for the Battle in Seattle. Might put a fair number of fannies in the seats. . .

dnj116
11-24-2015, 01:25 PM
I don't like it. The series was good for the State of Washington and was something I know many fans looked forward to, myself included.

Similarly, I've always respected the hell out of Washington State for continuing our series with them after UW backed out due to needing a more "national schedule." Obviously, we don't make the decisions on scheduling, but as a fan, its hard to justify this. Pretty hypocritical to have mocked UW for having backed out of our series nearly a decade ago for what is essentially the same reasoning of why we aren't continuing the series with WSU. And that would be compounded if we have a few bad seasons in a row, similar to UW, before coming back to the series with WSU. I have no choice other than to bend over and take the criticisms from my friends that are WSU fans for this one...

jazzdelmar
11-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Don't understand. Agree Wazzu isn't a resume builder but why can't a game with them displace one of the annual games against no names such as we have played last decade or so. Kent is a classy fellow.

Zag 77
11-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Damn. History, rivalry, proximity and bragging rights should count for something. I recall when Dan Fitzgerald had a conniption when Kelvin Sampson cancelled the series.

Zagdawg
11-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Required a return game every year- made it difficult to justify a return game to a team that is close to 200 "rpi" and not looking to improve significantly in the near future.

It's about the business...and life is not always "fair".

I like the idea of an annual game at the Arena- but "WSU" wants the game in Pullman - only way to gets fans in their arena.

Zag365
11-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Maybe WSU could be one of the regular rotation opponents ( every third or fourth year ) for the Battle in Seattle. Might put a fair number of fannies in the seats. . .

I like this as one-off proposition sometime in next few years (with no guarantee as to future games). It will keep WSU in the mix, sorta. It will draw Seattle press attention and a full house (although feel will be more like a true neutral court than a home-away-from-home game).

CDC84
11-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Kent is a classy fellow.

This view wouldn't be shared by many Oregon, St. Mary's and Stanford fans........

siliconzag
11-24-2015, 02:08 PM
How sad. It means that the doctrine that I learned as a Freshman at GU, that there is no bigger enemy, no team to be despised with as much passion, nothing lower than a Cougar is now relegated to a footnote. I am not sure what to make of it. But I don't think I like it very much. I hate to say it, but say it I will, reminds me of a certain coach on the Westside that pushed to cancel the series with us. Woe is Sili and likely most from my era. The kidnapping of Butch, the legend of the courageous men in Blue who dared to steal the feline mascot of the Crimson and Gray, is now but a distant memory, a mere, gesture. The indignity of it all...

Zagricultural
11-24-2015, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=jazzdelmar;1147534]Don't understand. Agree Wazzu isn't a resume builder but why can't a game with them displace one of the annual games against no names such as we have played last decade or so. Kent is a classy fellow.[/

Aside from league games we never schedule home & homes with no names. I am sure GU would be happy to have them come play at the Kennel with no return game at Pullman.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
11-24-2015, 02:19 PM
To provide a counterpoint: the Tournament Committee absolutely...does NOT...value road games properly. A loss on the road to Wazzu, because they're Wazzu, would be pretty damaging, despite the fact that home court advantage has a huge impact in basketball.

Winning @ a Kenpom 200 team is approximately as difficult as winning at home against a Kenpom 85 team (if I remember correctly). But Committee doesn't see it that way

Zagdawg
11-24-2015, 03:33 PM
As far as Kent being classy--we might have different ideas of "classy"--- the husky fans used to love it when he came to town--they would dress in Mexican garb and make fun of his affair when he was caught cheating on his wife in Mexico with his mistress.

I think he is a solid coach and at some time he will get the cougars back on track in the future.

Norwester
11-24-2015, 03:53 PM
Pretty hypocritical to have mocked UW for having backed out of our series nearly a decade ago for what is essentially the same reasoning of why we aren't continuing the series with WSU.

Seems to me it's for opposite reasons. UW dropped GU because GU was good. GU is dropping WSU because they'e not good.

NEC26
11-24-2015, 04:00 PM
I don't care what the reasoning is I don't like canceling this series. For years teams traded home and home and now somehow this isn't reasonable? Hogwash.

jchocolate99
11-24-2015, 04:16 PM
This keeps coming up and fans keep acting like it's devastating that the series is ending... If WSU can hold up their end of the bargain the series can be reevaluated in the future. This isn't about your sentimental views of some rivalry (this isn't a rivalry let's get real) it's about making BUSINESS decisions. WSU's RPI has been horrible of late and people quit making the point of GU playing no name schools... For one someone already mentioned it those teams only come to play GU with no return game and it is necessary to have those warm up games to fine tune your team... We're in a predicament because with the addition of BYU (which was welcoming) and Pacific (not so welcoming) we lost four potential OOC slots to schedule teams... Wipe your eyes and quit getting overly attached and emotional for an opponent because GU has to take care of GU if it wants to continue strengthening its resume

A to Zags
11-24-2015, 04:18 PM
I don't like it. The series was good for the State of Washington and was something I know many fans looked forward to, myself included.

Similarly, I've always respected the hell out of Washington State for continuing our series with them after UW backed out due to needing a more "national schedule." Obviously, we don't make the decisions on scheduling, but as a fan, its hard to justify this. Pretty hypocritical to have mocked UW for having backed out of our series nearly a decade ago for what is essentially the same reasoning of why we aren't continuing the series with WSU. And that would be compounded if we have a few bad seasons in a row, similar to UW, before coming back to the series with WSU. I have no choice other than to bend over and take the criticisms from my friends that are WSU fans for this one...

Amen to this. Extremely disappointed for basketball fans. I have strong connections to both schools and this gives me reason to question why.

maynard g krebs
11-24-2015, 05:14 PM
WSU just isn't good enough to warrant a home and home with the Zags, given the limitations due to the 18 game WCC sched. They're on a mid major level as of now (155 on Kenpom last time I looked).

GU already has to play on the road against a half dozen weak teams every year, and as someone said correctly above, those games are undervalued.

And the comparisons to UW dropping GU, as others have noted, is a worthless analogy; dropping a team that always beats you v dropping a team because they're not good enough to warrant a road trip/potential bad loss.

Not too long since Sampson dropped GU; what's the difference between that and now?

MickMick
11-24-2015, 06:12 PM
I drove to a GU game at Pullman once. The anxiety over driving the icy roads in the fog wasn't worth the trip. The game did, however, create an attainable venue for Eastern Washington fans that couldn't easily get into McCarthey Athletic center.

If I had a complaint, it would be of that one less opportunity for many regional fans to see GU play live.

Sarenyon
11-24-2015, 06:19 PM
It's just not good. Not good for the fans of either school. Personally, I'd like to play the Cougs every year in the Arena. Creates a lot of interest across the region and gives a great opportunity for fans to see a GU or a WSU game.

If I had a complaint, it would be of that one less opportunity for regional fans to see GU play live.

Yep

Nevada Don
11-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Ernie Kent was well liked at SMC. He left for greener pastures after building his reputation with the Gaels. Prior to SMC his head coaching experience was a gig in the Middle East. He left for his alma mater. It was expected for coaches to leave SMC until Bennett decided to make Moraga his home. Kent's troubles were after he left SMC so it wasn't too relevant for us. Personally, I always say, "be faithful to your wife and stay in school too".

Regarding the Washington State issue, I say, " Coach Few, play 'em". Cal and Stanford have avoided SMC for so many years despite the Gaels being generally the better team. Finally this year things have changed, no doubt because this was supposed to be a SMC "rebuilding year". Surprise, Bennett was just "reloading". I've said briefly before here, these kids are young but they can and they love to shoot it. Their potential is huge and with the addition of next years recruits they might be very good for the next few (no pun) years.

Coach Few, don't let GU be like Cal and Stanford. Play the locals even though they probably chose not to play GU at times.
Go Zags...with the one exception.

LongIslandZagFan
11-24-2015, 07:08 PM
It really isn't that big of a deal and it isn't close to the "tradition" that people think it is. Arizona/UCLA>WSU. Keep getting games like that and I could live without it.

jchocolate99
11-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Coach Few, don't let GU be like Cal and Stanford. Play the locals even though they probably chose not to play GU at times.
Go Zags...with the one exception.

GU Not playing WSU is no where near the same circumstance like when UW stopped playing us or Cal and Stanford not playing SMC... The Pac-12 schools do not have to play a school that is not consistently a top 25 or 50 rpi program because their conference schedule is strong enough with quality teams. If WSU was a strong RPI program this would not be a discussion because we would reschedule... If WSU started turning their program around I'm sure there would be interest to renew the series, but GU has to be diligent in creating a good schedule and resume to help our Tournament chances...

Nevada Don
11-24-2015, 07:36 PM
GU Not playing WSU is no where near the same circumstance like when UW stopped playing us or Cal and Stanford not playing SMC... The Pac-12 schools do not have to play a school that is not consistently a top 25 or 50 rpi program because their conference schedule is strong enough with quality teams. If WSU was a strong RPI program this would not be a discussion because we would reschedule... If WSU started turning their program around I'm sure there would be interest to renew the series, but GU has to be diligent in creating a good schedule and resume to help our Tournament chances...

Not everything should be about the RPI and your tournament resume IMO.

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
11-24-2015, 08:05 PM
the worm has turned; I remember being surprised and grateful that WSU played us at all. I am a huge WSU fan (to my detriment, obviously) and love Eastern and root for Montana and to a lesser extent Idaho and BSU. I have thought for years that there was no zero sum in improving Inland Empire ball. Why not have a yearly four team tournament that we would win but give opportunities to EWU, MT or Idaho, and WSU-- sure the final would pretty much always be WSU v. GU and GU would pretty much always win, but there is a value to promoting regional B-Ball.

And, we can stop scheduling other cupcakes if we are scheduling cupcakes in the northwest; at least an Inland Empire BB tournament would be a public service.

thanks, ZWSLV

btzag
11-24-2015, 08:26 PM
Stupid and hypocritical decision. Back when the UW/GU 'power struggle' was going on I told every UW fan I knew that I would rip GU if we ever took that type of mentality towards scheduling and d##n it but now I have to go through with it. Lost a little bit of respect for Few and Roth on this one. They can spew all their bs reasons but you can just replace their face with Romar and it's a repeat of a couple years ago. Really disappointed.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
11-24-2015, 08:35 PM
By the very virtue of being in a "Power Conference," WSU is all but guaranteed to become nationally relevant again. They might never be Arizona, but Power Conferences have turnover and are cyclical. WSU is BOUND to hit a great recruit or two and suddenly, they'll find themselves in the Top 10 for a few years, and we'll be begging to play them.

Zag 77
11-24-2015, 08:40 PM
This isn't about your sentimental views of some rivalry (this isn't a rivalry let's get real) it's about making BUSINESS decisions.

Bingo. You just hit the nail on the head. That is what is corrupting and killing college athletics. I don't want college basketball to be a mini version of the NBA. The NBA sucks. It is not sport, it is an entertainment business. Look at how many traditional rivalries were tossed aside by the recent re-alignment of football conferences for the sake of money.

We don't root for the Zags based on their profit and loss report. We root for them because of an emotional commitment and playing against teams whose fans have an equal emotional commitment. That is the beauty of college athletics.

We have played Wazzu every year since we started going to the NCAA Tournament and their presence on the schedule has not kept us from getting in. And tough, emotional games before a hostile road crowd helps prep our players for tough games at tournament time.

Hoopaholic
11-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Bingo. You just hit the nail on the head. That is what is corrupting and killing college athletics. I don't want college basketball to be a mini version of the NBA. The NBA sucks. It is not sport, it is an entertainment business. Look at how many traditional rivalries were tossed aside by the recent re-alignment of football conferences for the sake of money.

We don't root for the Zags based on their profit and loss report. We root for them because of an emotional commitment and playing against teams whose fans have an equal emotional commitment. That is the beauty of college athletics.

We have played Wazzu every year since we started going to the NCAA Tournament and their presence on the schedule has not kept us from getting in. And tough, emotional games before a hostile road crowd helps prep our players for tough games at tournament time.
Thank you Jim.

Zagdawg
11-24-2015, 09:07 PM
With the logic of some of the folks on the board we will be reviving the Eastern Washington and Idaho series soon ---home and homes because someones son or grandma went there...and they have "emotionally committed fans".

The same folks will be whining about the strength of schedule and the teams that we will be playing at home....."what do you mean we are playing Idaho in the next Battle in Seattle".

Then when we are back to a 10-11 seed in the dance--they are the same ones who will whine about being shipped across the country to play some team in their back yard.

Few is building a winning nationally recognized program and unfortunately not everyone will be happy about the steps required to make that growth happen.

The results of the basketball program are directly connected to the increase in student attendance and infrastructure growth that the university has experienced. Benefactors and alumni have been willing to help the school more due to the success of the basketball programs.

The school and coaching staff are going to do what is best for the long term interests of the school and the program.

I am sure that if Washington State gets their program turned around--the option to start playing again will be reassessed.

jchocolate99
11-25-2015, 12:18 AM
Not everything should be about the RPI and your tournament resume IMO.

False... and a ridiculous statement when talking about competitive college sports. To quote former NFL coach Herman Edwards "You play to win the game!!!" This is D1 competitive basketball meaning that every team which includes the coach, players and admins are trying to win and playing to win a championship. The NCAA tourney is about favorable match-ups and luck... you do whatever you can as a program to be placed in a favorable match-up to advance in the tourny and hopefully win. That can only happen by having a strong RPI to get the high seeds for those favorable match-ups.. This whole dang thing is about WINNING

Stupid and hypocritical decision. Back when the UW/GU 'power struggle' was going on I told every UW fan I knew that I would rip GU if we ever took that type of mentality towards scheduling and d##n it but now I have to go through with it. Lost a little bit of respect for Few and Roth on this one. They can spew all their bs reasons but you can just replace their face with Romar and it's a repeat of a couple years ago. Really disappointed.

If you find this decision to be stupid that is your opinion which you are definitely entitled to but to call it hypocritical is so off base. UW cancelled a series against a cross state perennial top-25 program over bogus reasons... GU is cancelling a series against a weak opponent that is not helping our schedule strength point blank. If this was some school from outside the region with the same RPI fans would be freaking out wondering why we keep scheduling a team like that. People need to get over the sentimentals and allow the program to do what it needs to do to keep GU relevant and competitive... coach Few and Roth earn my respect with the utmost because they're showing me they're doing what needs to be done to continue as a powerhouse

College sports is a multi-billion dollar industry ... This is a business... Gonzaga Basketball is a business... that is what it is rather you like it or not that is the reality. GU is cashing out on its brand recognition that is bringing money to upgrade the buildings on campus and bring other amenities that attracts top level recruits to keep this team competitive and hopefully get that elusive final four or better yet championship... "I have" an emotional commitment to this team as do thousands of other fans around Spokane and throughout this country. Fans root for their teams because they want to see them win and they want to see them win championships... If some fans had their way we would be playing every single local regional team just because it "Feels good" and makes them feel "warm and cozy". I want GU to schedule as tough a schedule as they can and "Currently" right now WSU does not provide that

jchocolate99
11-25-2015, 12:20 AM
With the logic of some of the folks on the board we will be reviving the Eastern Washington and Idaho series soon ---home and homes because someones son or grandma went there...and they have "emotionally committed fans".

The same folks will be whining about the strength of schedule and the teams that we will be playing at home....."what do you mean we are playing Idaho in the next Battle in Seattle".

Then when we are back to a 10-11 seed in the dance--they are the same ones who will whine about being shipped across the country to play some team in their back yard.

Few is building a winning nationally recognized program and unfortunately not everyone will be happy about the steps required to make that growth happen.

The results of the basketball program are directly connected to the increase in student attendance and infrastructure growth that the university has experienced. Benefactors and alumni have been willing to help the school more due to the success of the basketball programs.

The school and coaching staff are going to do what is best for the long term interests of the school and the program.

I am sure that if Washington State gets their program turned around--the option to start playing again will be reassessed.

Well said Zagdawg

Nevada Don
11-25-2015, 05:00 AM
False... and a ridiculous statement when talking about competitive college sports. This whole dang thing is about WINNING

"Winning" ? You quote Herm Edwards for your life lessions and you sound like Charlie Sheen. Lighten up Captain Obvious.

realtydog
11-25-2015, 05:45 AM

thanks..... this seems lost for many here

bartruff1
11-25-2015, 05:55 AM
Gonzaga was able to get high ratings and seeds with WSU in the schedule....

titopoet
11-25-2015, 06:15 AM

I am not sure we will get the true story, but Wazzu has not been good for awhile and it had not been an issue until Kent came onboard. I don't for a second put any stock to the media reason, but speculation as to why wouldn't help. I just have a feeling it has more to do with other reasons that we have no access to.

Interesting that Kent really didn't sound too sad or angry about it ending. (The fan base yes, but not really coach Kent and by his spilling it in the news the way he did means he wanted to nail it shut.)

LongIslandZagFan
11-25-2015, 06:23 AM
Late 80s and early 90s WSU couldn't be bothered to play GU.

Rivalry? No.

Get a team from another major conference that consistently finishes in the top part of their conference.

I just don't see a reason to get all uptight about it.

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
11-25-2015, 06:54 AM
because we already play teams with low RPIs.

but we could play teams with low RPIs that mean something to the fan base here. it is not as if we lose WSU and all we play now are blue-bloods. We still play a number of weak teams. Playing WSU and Eastern and Idaho would all suck in terms of RPI but so does playing (insert many names from our schedule).

Gonzaga used to be a local team filled with hard working kids who wanted to make good in the big time for the first time. Now we are a big boy. And nobody we bring in (with very few exceptions) are unproven talents. So, we are the group we always wanted to be; and now we are going to act like the people we never liked? There is zero question we could and should schedule local teams with low RPIs at the expense of far away teams with low RPIs. Not sure how that is not logical.

Also, there is the simple fact that we should want the best for all of our local programs. And the best way that the local programs can get better is if they are able to recruit about their ability to play GU.

And before we get the knee jerk reactions that this is not a public service program, recognize that we already schedule bad teams-- we should schedule bad teams that benefit the region and ultimately the program. Is there anyone here who thinks this is zero sum? That if Eastern or Idaho improves that is the death knell for Bulldog basketball? Absurd, and in fact, mpst likely the opposite.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
11-25-2015, 07:05 AM
because we already play teams with low RPIs.

but we could play teams with low RPIs that mean something to the fan base here. it is not as if we lose WSU and all we play now are blue-bloods. We still play a number of weak teams. Playing WSU and Eastern and Idaho would all suck in terms of RPI but so does playing (insert many names from our schedule).

This is absolutely true. The difference, however, is that we don't have to play those teams ON THE ROAD. Again, the committee so drastically undervalues road games. This is so crucial to understand.

https://twitter.com/BPredict/status/669370165667213312

willandi
11-25-2015, 07:23 AM
This is absolutely true. The difference, however, is that we don't have to play those teams ON THE ROAD. Again, the committee so drastically undervalues road games. This is so crucial to understand.

Agreed. It really is the home and home that is killing it. Play the games at the arena and the series goes on (probably), and it could be the same with Eastern. It's a feather in their cap to have a perenial top 20 team play in their gym, but they have nothing besides being geographically close to keep those games going.

Mr Vulture
11-25-2015, 10:40 AM
They should put together a little tournament like they used to have in the Arena. Make it a two day, local thing that has Gonzaga, WSU, Idaho,and EWU. Not sure if that is possible to do if we are playing a big tournament but it would be a way to get a couple games for the teams.

Agreed. It really is the home and home that is killing it. Play the games at the arena and the series goes on (probably), and it could be the same with Eastern. It's a feather in their cap to have a perenial top 20 team play in their gym, but they have nothing besides being geographically close to keep those games going.

GU69
11-25-2015, 01:03 PM
I would find dropping WSU disappointing for two reasons:
1. There was a time when we were the little school and WSU was the big school, but they (unlike UW) were willing to play us. I think that we could return the favor while we are on top.
2. Although the basketball program is at a national level, a lot of regular students come from eastern Washington so that there are ways that WSU is a natural rival.

Zagdawg
11-25-2015, 01:09 PM
It sounds like the program we are replacing "WSU" with out if the Pac12 is Arizona for a 4 year deal. I am OK with this.

Coach Crazy
11-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Best move for the program. Glad we are moving on from playing a team that gives us no benefit, and only has some sort of "rivalry/history" value in the hearts of only a few (no pun intended). If Wazzu wants to play us more, perhaps pull that RPI out of the dumpster fire they threw it in, before they pushed it down the street?

This isn't about doing something for the little guy. This shouldn't be about a contrived re-occurrence that is attempted as being passed off as tradition. This is about the business and doing best by GU, for GU, because of GU. Rings. I want those. If GU feels it's time to end the series, I, along with what I am guessing is the majority of Zags fan, won't miss this series. I want rivalries with real teams. And rings...yeah, already said that. Rings.

Hoopaholic
11-25-2015, 02:35 PM
We got ours screw history, regional rivalry and historically tough game, but also historically a game that many zag fans have the opportunity to attend

The attitude that we are too good now to maintain a single game a year that provides the positive value is disappointing to me

stevet75
11-25-2015, 02:35 PM
I don't know what Karma points are worth, but I hope fortune doesn't change any time soon.
I like playing the Cougs and I like the tradition, but I do understand the business-but I don't have to like it.

Zagricultural
11-25-2015, 03:11 PM
Are we sure there isn't more at play? How do we know it isn't Kent? I may have missed it, but why is everyone totally dumping this on GU?

As far as the comparisons to WA cancelling on us. Totally different. In that one we were beating the snot out of them! 8 out of 9! I am happy to see us keep playing WSU, but I totally get why we no longer want a home & home with a sub 200 RPI team. As has been mentioned why not just do home & home with eastern, Idaho, Montana, etc...? Come on guys.

ProjectMKUltra5
11-25-2015, 03:22 PM
So, are we mad because GU isn't "doing the right thing" and playing WSU?

Or....

Are we mad because now ya'll actually have to pony up the money to catch a game in the Kennel instead of driving down to Pullman?

I think it's the latter

Coach Crazy
11-25-2015, 04:17 PM
So, are we mad because GU isn't "doing the right thing" and playing WSU?

Or....

Are we mad because now ya'll actually have to pony up the money to catch a game in the Kennel instead of driving down to Pullman?

I think it's the latter

I refuse to accept this. I refuse to believe that anyone outside of Pullman that is not a Wazzu fan would willingly *want* to drive to Pullman.

jchocolate99
11-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Best move for the program. Glad we are moving on from playing a team that gives us no benefit, and only has some sort of "rivalry/history" value in the hearts of only a few (no pun intended). If Wazzu wants to play us more, perhaps pull that RPI out of the dumpster fire they threw it in, before they pushed it down the street?

This isn't about doing something for the little guy. This shouldn't be about a contrived re-occurrence that is attempted as being passed off as tradition. This is about the business and doing best by GU, for GU, because of GU. Rings. I want those. If GU feels it's time to end the series, I, along with what I am guessing is the majority of Zags fan, won't miss this series. I want rivalries with real teams. And rings...yeah, already said that. Rings.

^^^^ THIS X 1000

LongIslandZagFan
11-25-2015, 04:30 PM
We got ours screw history, regional rivalry and historically tough game, but also historically a game that many zag fans have the opportunity to attend

The attitude that we are too good now to maintain a single game a year that provides the positive value is disappointing to me

Again... in the last 30 years there are big gaps. In fact I think the years I attended GU, they played exactly once.

ProjectMKUltra5
11-25-2015, 04:33 PM
I refuse to accept this. I refuse to believe that anyone outside of Pullman that is not a Wazzu fan would willingly *want* to drive to Pullman.

Lol exactly. If I'm trying to save money I'd rather drive to Seattle to watch that game, Pullman is an awful place.

ZagLawGrad
11-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Lol exactly. If I'm trying to save money I'd rather drive to Seattle to watch that game, Pullman is an awful place.

If you love a sea of blue and the spotted owl, then Seattle is okay. Otherwise, no contest compared to Pullman.

whatazag
12-02-2015, 09:02 PM
I was/am in favor of continuing the the series, but I don't want to hear any wazzu fans whining about the cancellation -- their arena was like half full tonight, and I am not talking about the nosebleeds.

Zag 77
12-02-2015, 09:30 PM
Ever been to Spokane in wintertime, Whattazag? I suspect a lot of purchased tickets by both GU and Wazzu fans did not get used tonight. Its nice to see the game in person, but the road between Spokane and Pullman is $hitty under normal conditions. Plus I suspect that people will not get back to Spokane until 11:30 at least. Kind of tough for those of us who have to work for a living. It was kind of nice to watch the game in my jammies while sipping hot chocolate.

It looked like the student section was full.

One can make the case from a Wazzu point of view that it is better for their fan base to play the game in Spokane at the Arena if they want to put their fans in the seats, especially in December. GU could play their home game at the MAC. Especially if the game is always going to be on a weeknight. I would bet GU would go for that. Unfortunately Wazzu is going to be stubborn and want to keep playing in Pullman and have their facility 75% full.

GoZAGsMang
12-03-2015, 12:26 PM
just wish we could kick Pacific out of the league(and not replace them with a team like SU) and then play WSU and EWU every year

GoZAGsMang