PDA

View Full Version : Sabonis most "indespensible player" for GU

Sarenyon
11-24-2015, 07:36 AM
according to Bleacher Report article. Not a bad one for a BR product.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2591188-most-indispensable-player-from-every-top-10-college-basketball-team/page/2

Wiltjer is one of four perimeter players in Gonzaga's starting lineup, and while Wiltjer is effective on the block, Gonzaga is best served with him facing the basket. Mammoth Przemek Karnowski can do damage in the paint against most of the competition Gonzaga will face in the West Coast Conference, but he is limited against the bigger, more athletic teams the Bulldogs will play outside the conference.

That's where the 6'9" Sabonis comes in. He is outstanding around the rim, and he is strong enough and quick enough to get scoring opportunities against top-flight defenses. He made 66.8 percent of his field-goal attempts last season, and in this season's game against Northern Arizona he went 12-of-13 from the field and scored 26 points in just 18 minutes.

Zagger
11-24-2015, 07:55 AM
The next 3 days should really give us a pretty good idea of just how well the Zags will fare against stiffer competition. I so can't wait to see them against UW! Sabonis will be hard to stop - but I have a good feeling that so will Mt K and Wiltjer. Only around 24 hours to go! Go Zags!

CDC84
11-24-2015, 07:58 AM
That's where the 6'9" Sabonis comes in.

Sabonis is a legit 6-11:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3155942/domantas-sabonis

CdAZagFan
11-24-2015, 08:14 AM
I don't agree with the premise that Shem is limited against the bigger and more athletic teams outside of conference... Shem seems to play the big boys really well (see the Arizona games)... I do think Sabonis is indispensable, however. I love his toughness on the court.

jazzdelmar
11-24-2015, 08:19 AM
And today is Tuesday.

Jstock12
11-24-2015, 08:48 AM
Sabonis is a legit 6-11:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3155942/domantas-sabonis

He and Kyle were measured at Nike Skills Academy this year. Domas 6'10" (with shoes) with a 6'10.5" wingspan, Kyle 6'10" (with shoes) with a 6'11.5" wingspan.

CDC84
11-24-2015, 09:35 AM
He sure seems taller than Kyle to me. Strange.

Jstock12
11-24-2015, 09:47 AM
He sure seems taller than Kyle to me. Strange.

Well, the academy was half a year ago. Maybe he got taller since then. He's still 19 after all.

titopoet
11-24-2015, 10:31 AM
I don't agree with the premise that Shem is limited against the bigger and more athletic teams outside of conference... Shem seems to play the big boys really well (see the Arizona games)... I do think Sabonis is indispensable, however. I love his toughness on the court.

Agreed. If anything, he has more success against the "big Boys." He did a great job on Okafor and dominated Zeus. I think he gets too cute against smaller guys, but when he is on, look out.

billyberu
11-24-2015, 06:00 PM
Completely agree. This notion that Shem struggles against bigger, athletic teams is absurd.

Zagricultural
11-25-2015, 07:35 AM
As many have pointed out that article is baloney

ZagLawGrad
11-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Sabonis today against Aggies.

What happened?

CDC84
11-26-2015, 11:19 AM
Sabonis had a few games last year that were just like this one. He doesn't handle frustration very well when a couple of plays don't go his way, and then it's all down hill from there. I think some of A&M's length bothered him. He also has to stop driving into double teams.

Zags11
11-26-2015, 11:19 AM
Sabonis today against Aggies.

What happened?

Bad day and athletes happened.

raise the zag
11-26-2015, 11:23 AM
that phantom call got into his head, followed after making a nice shot, well his only shot.

he's still too emotionally charged on occasion. Take good with bad. It what makes him great, also the goat when channeled in a poor manner.

refs started to pick on him after the stared them down too.

must move on. gotta learn to move on to the next play without frustration from the previous one.

10 Piece Bucket
11-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Ban Avedas. Seems out of sorts when dad is in the arena. Seriously, Domas will be on fire and dominating next game.

Zagdawg
11-26-2015, 11:26 AM
The positive-- this will help him understand he has more to work on before the next level.

Mental toughness-- turn the frustration into a positive.

ZagLawGrad
11-26-2015, 11:28 AM

I'd have to say he had his (hopefully) one and only meltdown for the season.

TexasZagFan
11-26-2015, 12:32 PM

Explains why many professional gamblers bet only on sports where the participants have 4 legs.

Zags11
11-26-2015, 01:08 PM
Explains why many professional gamblers bet only on sports where the participants have 4 legs.

Yea and still cant trust them. Lol

RenoZag
11-29-2015, 12:14 PM
Draft Express web site projects Domas as a late first round pick and the #3 sophomore overall:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Domantas-Sabonis-62889/

Enjoy him as long as we can, fans. Glad he's a Zag for now.

Jstock12
11-30-2015, 07:43 AM
Draft Express web site projects Domas as a late first round pick and the #3 sophomore overall:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Domantas-Sabonis-62889/

Enjoy him as long as we can, fans. Glad he's a Zag for now.

Yeah it seems pretty unlikely that he'll stay for the third year :( It's a pity actually, I would love if he stayed and got more ready for the NBA. NBAdraft.net projects him in the top10...

23dpg
11-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Call me crazy but I don't think he's going pro after the year.
Sabonis is my personal favorite but I don't see a sure-fire NBA player when I watch him.
He's what scouts call a T-Rex. Arms shorter than height, doesn't have great leaping ability and his outside shot, while improving, is not NBA 3 point ready yet.

If he does go pro, I will wish him nothing but success. It's his decision. But I do think after he gets the info from the NBA, he'll return for his junior year and tear it up.

My 2 cents.

LongIslandZagFan
11-30-2015, 08:06 AM
Sabonis is my personal favorite but I don't see a sure-fire NBA player when I watch him.
He's what scouts call a T-Rex. Arms shorter than height, doesn't have great leaping ability and his outside shot, while improving, is not NBA 3 point ready yet.

If he does go pro, I will wish him nothing but success. It's his decision. But I do think after he gets the info from the NBA, he'll return for his junior year and tear it up.

My 2 cents.

Wasn't the same thing about Kelly?

NEC26
11-30-2015, 08:08 AM

My 2 cents.

I agree, this board always seems to think every player is for sure going to the NBA and going to be picked in the lottery. While I do think Sabonis makes it to the NBA I doubt its after this year and I highly doubt he would be a lottery pick which is what I think it would take for him to decide to leave.

ZagLawGrad
11-30-2015, 08:10 AM

My 2 cents.

I don't disagree. He may get drafted first round based on what talent is available during the draft, but compared to KO, he has a lot of skills (and bulk) to develop in order to be of much success in the NBA.

mgadfly
11-30-2015, 08:27 AM
I think his draft stock may be as high as Olynyk's by the end of the year due to his (1) age and (2) style of play.

Sabonis will be 2 full years younger than Olynyk was if he goes into the draft this year. The NBA drafts on potential a lot of the time and Sabonis is a long way away from his most likely peak years in 2022 to 2023.

Sabonis is going to develop into a better than average defender, an exceptional rebounder, and a serviceable offensive player at the next level. Olynyk was a star offensive player, good rebounder, okay defender. You draft Sabonis to be that off-ball forward who just needs to bring energy and defense and stay out of the way of the offense (at least for the first five or so years in the league). Olynyk's value seemed to be at the time his scoring ability and that's a bigger risk that his offensive game would translate to the NBA. In a lot of ways, Sabonis is much more Sacre than he is Olynyk as far the next level goes. But he does have potential to be more if his perimeter shot continues to develop.

I think he should stay but I can definitely see why at his age he'd get a lot of attention in the draft.