PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs UW predictions and what you would like to see in the game

Reborn
11-23-2015, 04:53 AM
I know the game is a couple days away, but I think we need to get this thread started. I mean this is the Gonzaga vs UW game. And it should be a great game this year.

Gonzaga 82
UW 76

This game should provide a lot to talk about over Thanksgiving vacation. The kids will be going home for Thanksgiving break and will now have this game to help them have something to,not only do while waiting for dinner, but will provide the family and friends with something to talk about. It should be an exciting game, and Gonzaga's experience and height will be the difference. Gonzaga usually plays well in these pre-season tournaments.

I will continue to want to see our guards shoot well from the outside. Silas Melson is now looking like he is finding himself and his role on this team is improving. I want to see him play great. Wiltjer has been in a slump so I want to see him come out of it and begin to hit those 3 pointers. All the talk on GUboards has been about UW's athleticism so I want to see how they handle Sabonis who is pretty athletic himself. I want to see if Few has his team play zone because from what I heard outside shooting is not the UW's strength. We saw Duke playing a lot of zone against Georgetown in their second half against them; Will Mark Few do the same?

stevet75
11-23-2015, 06:40 AM
GU 79 UW 71

Zagricultural
11-23-2015, 06:48 AM
Double digit zag win. Everything else is just gravy

zagsfanforlife
11-23-2015, 06:57 AM
I have seen very little throughout the first few games to be confident that our guards can handle an extremely athletic defense. We turned it over like crazy vs Mt. St Marys and vs Northern ARizona. This Washington team is a whole nother beast. I predict our guards to get a good learning experience this game, our bigs try to keep us in the game, but in the end us falling a bit short. At the end of the year it might be a different result, but from what i have seen our guards display early on, even my rose colored glasses cant predict that they can keep turnovers down. PK has to pick it up a bit in this game, Sabonis keep doing what youre doing and Wiltjer has to be the 1st team AA he is.

Wash 76
GU 69

bartruff1
11-23-2015, 07:01 AM
I want to see if Gonzaga can handle the press....I suspect UW will play a up tempo game on both ends of the court and try to speed Gonzaga up..... Few is a genius and he will have plan that will hopefully minimize turnovers..... I have no idea who will win, but if I was betting, I would take the Huskies and the points.

ProjectMKUltra5
11-23-2015, 07:49 AM
Same thing as the last game, I want see a very driving oriented game by our guards. Take the three if it's there but I want to see them curling off down screens looking to attack the paint. Perkins and Melson are dynamic when that happens and we saw Emacs game flourish when he was aggressive at the rim.

This team needs to embrace that identity, man. We'd be nigh unstoppable, turnovers or not.

Bogozags
11-23-2015, 07:57 AM
GU 2 UW 0

GU wins by forfeit and all stats count in this game...:D

CDC84
11-23-2015, 08:06 AM
What I would like to see Few do is what he did in 2005 at the Maui Invitational against a pressing Maryland team. He stationed JP Batista midcourt so that his young guards (especially Jeremy Pargo) had a big target to throw to in case they found themselves in trouble.

I think GU's guards are so horrible against the trapping press right now that they need extra assistance. They are dribbling into corners, backing away when they get doubled, etc. They need a big guy to help bail them out, because UW is really going to bring the defensive heat on Wednesday.

Hoopaholic
11-23-2015, 08:21 AM
What I would like to see Few do is what he did in 2005 at the Maui Invitational against a pressing Maryland team. He stationed JP Batista midcourt so that his young guards (especially Jeremy Pargo) had a big target to throw to in case they found themselves in trouble.

I think GU's guards are so horrible against the trapping press right now that they need extra assistance. They are dribbling into corners, backing away when they get doubled, etc. They need a big guy to help bail them out, because UW is really going to bring the defensive heat on Wednesday.

we will break the press just fine, UW does not run a run and jump full court defense, they are more typical man to man or straight zone press

titopoet
11-23-2015, 08:27 AM
GU playing against the Mount of St Mary beat them by 11 more points than UW so 88 - 77 Zags over the Huskies, though I wouldn't be surprised if the margin is a lot bigger.

RenoZag
11-23-2015, 08:31 AM
Zags 82
Huskies 79

Just win, baby !

rennis
11-23-2015, 09:44 AM
The Mount plays that "havoc" defense and it worked for about 30 minutes against Gonzaga. I agree with many above that our guards need to tighten up the handle and make better decisions when doubled in the backcourt, but they didn't look nearly as sloppy against Pitt who plays excellent defense. I also don't think UW will create as much ball pressure due to both their style of play and because, well...Romar.

I think GU squeaks out a close one unless Wiltjer goes off. If KW gets >20 points, I see GU winning by double digits. Otherwise 7-8 point margin.

LongIslandZagFan
11-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Huskies 198
Zags 40

Huskies are almost Kentucky.

Zagger
11-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Zags 90 - Dawgs 72 (18-22 spread)
I may be giving the Fuskies too many points. Methinks the Zags will be more into this game than UW. Wiltjer, Sabonis and Karnowski will all be kicking Dawg tail. It's going to be a great game - Zags are loaded with experience where they need it & Few will have the team rocking :)
Main thing I want to see is Mt K really putting up some points and rebounds. If the rest of the guys are on with their game this should occur (better passing, better communication, quicker play so that UW D is flustered, etc.). Also want to see MUCH FEWER TURNOVERS!

Reborn
11-23-2015, 10:23 AM
Some good posts so far. I don't see how the Huskies can keep Wiltjer below 20 points. I think the thing to remember is that the UW is not Mt Saint Mary's. They are an upper level D-1 team. The Zags will play much better because the almost always do against teams like the Huskies. I think Wiltjter will get at least 23. The bigger problem for the Huskies may be "How will they contain Sabonis?" And I'm sure that the Zags have seen teams as athletic as the Huskies. We must remember that: Dranginis, PK, Sabonis and Wiltjer have seen plenty of great players; and don't see them getting into the problems that some of you do. I ask, "have the Husky freshmen seen the kind of talent and experience that the Zags will bring to the contest?" I don't think so. Not yet anyway. I don't think they've faced anyone as good as the Zags, and it's not even close.

seacatfan
11-23-2015, 10:30 AM
I ask, "have the Husky freshmen seen the kind of talent and experience that the Zags will bring to the contest?" I don't think so. Not yet anyway. I don't think they've faced anyone as good as the Zags, and it's not even close.

Agreed. Texas was supposed to be good, but I don't think they are (so far at least). The PG is good, but beyond that...? They have a big frontcourt, but they've all been underachieving for years. None of them are nearly as productive as the GU bigs.

BULLDOG#1
11-23-2015, 10:40 AM
I think Romar will try and ugly the game by resorting to street ball. If he is successful, then the Huskies can win. They have helter-skelter type players that can attack from all positions. Like every other team, they will try and isolate and attack Wiltjer.

Few will try and play a structured game where Karno, Wiltjer and Sabonis can operate within the confines of the offense. The young zag guards will be tempted to play into UWs strengths, but I'm guessing coaching prevails. With the exception of Wiltjer, I don't imagine either team will shoot particularly well from the outside (early in day, lots of travel, foreign environment) and the zag bigs will dominate the paint for a double digit zag win. While the Husky athletic wings are a concern for GU, it's not nearly the concern UW faces with Karno and Sabonis on the block.

No doubt Few got on the GU guards after last game - I expect fewer TOs against UW.

Unless something unforeseen happens - like Murray or Andrews hitting a ton of threes or GU foul trouble - I think GU wins by at least 10.

strikenowhere
11-23-2015, 10:49 AM
I know that the main Huskie fan board is behind a paywall, but I'm curious as to how they think they're going to fare...anyone have any insight?

ZagsGoZags
11-23-2015, 12:22 PM
I think most are underestimating the Fuskies, overestimating our ability right now, and I expect us to just barely win a nerve-wracking game by one point. I hope most who predict bigger wins than this on this thread are correct though. After watching St. Mary's take Stanford to the woodshed yesterday, though, maybe I'll predict we win by about 2 points.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-23-2015, 12:42 PM
I predict Coach Few has been game-planning for this opponent more than any other thus far in the early season and intentionally has not showed any zone looks on D so the Huskies will not be expecting it.

Zags bust out some zone D at key points in this game and the young Huskies get rattled and let a close game slip out of reach by self-destructing on offense in the 2nd half. Mt Karnowski shows up big time for this big game and goes off for 14 pt, 10 rebounds and 5 assists!

gu03alum
11-23-2015, 12:49 PM
I like Seth Davis' prediction

LINK (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/11/23/hoop-thoughts-rule-changes-indiana-creighton-michigan-xavier)

Gonzaga vs. Washington, The Bahamas, Wednesday, noon, ESPN2

These teams used to play each other regularly, but unfortunately that fell by the wayside. The Zags have one of the nation’s top froncourts, so Washington, which has a brand new roster but scored an impressive season-opening win over Texas in China, will try to speed things up and make the game be decided by the guards. Easier said than done.

Gonzaga 84, Washington 74

Zagdawg
11-23-2015, 12:53 PM
A positive with NWG on the roster---he knows Andrew Andrews very well--- he knows what it will take to get him out of sync---he will share that with our guys---its nice to have that in our back pocket.

I am sure that Romar has his doubts about being able to beat the Zags.......it took one of his guys taking out our starting point guard to get one win in his 9 tries against us.

Mike83814
11-23-2015, 01:13 PM
More than anything, I'd like to see an improvement in the body language from both EMac and Melson. Both seem to sulk when things aren't going their way, and that comes through in their play later in the game.

Other than that, I like where the guards are at, but I really wish there was a little better ball control from everyone and a little more thought going into the passes. There were more than a few suspect passes in the MSM game (I'm looking at you Wiltjer) that really should be avoided.

I'd also like to see the players stop trying to force plays in the first half. It seems like we have a tendency to come out and really try to make highlight level plays for the first half, which leads to stupid turnovers and missed opportunities... and then the second half they calm down and play Gonzaga basketball. I know this has a lot to do with the youth of the backcourt, and it's going to change over time, but I hope that's sooner rather than later.

northsidezagfan
11-23-2015, 01:43 PM
Zags by a dozen

whatazag
11-23-2015, 02:03 PM

That didn't work so hot vs UCLA in the sweet 16. Sorry, still too soon.

I have no idea what to expect. This is the most important game of the regular season to me personally, so I really hope the guys put it together. But I think UW will abuse us slashing to the basket, and would guess they will win a close high scoring game, maybe 87-84.

seacatfan
11-23-2015, 02:50 PM
That didn't work so hot vs UCLA in the sweet 16. Sorry, still too soon.

I don't think the sting from that game will ever quite go away.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-23-2015, 07:44 PM
U-Dub 76
Zags 70

Our guards have a ways to go, and Romar has some elite talent and athletes.

eastsideballer
11-23-2015, 08:39 PM
I cant believe that there are posters who are picking UW to win. After all the takes on the Huskies, Romar and the end of the rivalry I was sure it would be 100% for the Zags. So much for bad blood :)

Zags 67
Huskies 62

basketballzag
11-23-2015, 08:43 PM
Sheer domination by the Zags

surfmonkey89
11-23-2015, 09:11 PM
I think you guys are delusional. UW is legit, and our guards are extremely inexperienced. We win this by five, at most. It will be a nail-biter, which we can definitely lose.

Kiddwell
11-23-2015, 09:15 PM
Extra Crispy, a poem
<ahem>
Roses are red,
Huskies are shorter,
Zags win it "Bigs,"
By a dime, or a quarter.

-------
Gonzaga University - 88
UW at KFC - 72

:]

Just_An_Old_Zag
11-24-2015, 05:51 AM
Dear Santa:
All I ever want for my remaining Christmas's here on this mortal plane is for the Bulldogs to Dominate, Destroy, and Defeat those Despicable Dawgs on November 25, 2015 (however if you could make that happen every time they meet from now until the end of time Im good with that also)
warm regards and safe journies
J.A.O.Z...

Tmac5360
11-24-2015, 06:48 AM
I guess those picking UW have not seen them shoot. They are atheletic but they are comepletely out of control and they can't shoot!! It's typical Romar, 5 great athletes and no chemistry. Do people really think that their freshman point is dramatically better then Josh?? They start 4 freshmen. And I don't know if mentioned this, none of them can shoot!!!
Zags 85
UW 69

cjm720
11-24-2015, 06:51 AM
81 zags
72 dawgs

Good game from the jump....Sabinis thrives and a guard to be determined (Melsin?) steps up big to help secure the win.

I'd like to see improvements with turnovers and 3s from 4 or 5 guys.

LongIslandZagFan
11-24-2015, 07:02 AM
I guess those picking UW have not seen them shoot. They are atheletic but they are comepletely out of control and they can't shoot!! It's typical Romar, 5 great athletes and no chemistry. Do people really think that their freshman point is dramatically better then Josh?? They start 4 freshmen. And I don't know if mentioned this, none of them can shoot!!!
Zags 85
UW 69

Just to solidify this claim...

Team FG%:
GU: 56%
UW 45.6%

Number of players shooting 50% or better (min 15 minutes average per game):
GU :6 (Perkins is shooting .375 right now and amazingly Wiltjer at .444) otherwise we'd have 8.
UW: 3

Shooting Witljer or better (.444 same criteria):
GU: 7
UW: 4 (one guy at .444 as well but only averages about 13 mpg but willing to fudge it for them a smidge)

CDC84
11-24-2015, 07:27 AM
Differences in shooting percentage and skill are worthless if the Zags keep committing turnovers and the guards keep making low IQ plays. I wouldn't be stunned if they commit 20+ TO's tomorrow if they keep playing the way they have been playing.

If they stay away from that, they should be fine. Gonzaga's interior will prove to be too much.

LongIslandZagFan
11-24-2015, 07:53 AM
Differences in shooting percentage and skill are worthless if the Zags keep committing turnovers and the guards keep making low IQ plays. I wouldn't be stunned if they commit 20+ TO's tomorrow if they keep playing the way they have been playing.

If they stay away from that, they should be fine. Gonzaga's interior will prove to be too much.

The both average 16 TOs per game.

But Josh right now has a Assist to TO ratio of exactly 1.

THAT has got to change.

Reborn
11-24-2015, 08:34 AM
I predict the Zags will not turn over the ball more than 15 times
I predict 7 three- pointers which will be enough to win.
I predict we will shoot a higher percentage from both the field and behind the arc than the UW.
We will turn the ball over 2 times more but outrebound them by 10

Kiddwell
11-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Hopefully Few & Company will have the team fired up. They need to tear meat from bones in this one. Maybe Nigel can help get 'em gnashing 'cause he doesn't want the grief of losing to his former teammates.

Mad Dogs, Zags! Mad Dogs! :argh::argh::argh:

:]

hooter73
11-24-2015, 11:09 AM
We NEED to see Wiltjer transcend and dominate... soon. DDon't know if this is the game where that can happen though. Sabonis may be the star but the team will go as far as KW can take them.

zag buddy
11-24-2015, 11:11 AM
I am anxiously waiting to see two things. First if we can handle the press and second if we can out rebound UW offensively. They have been getting 47% of their offensive boards. If we can hold them to around a normal 20% and not have excessive turnovers we will win big. Of course a decent 3 point % would be a hugh help.

CDC84
11-24-2015, 12:25 PM
One of the more compelling things about this place they're playing at is just how dark it is in the stands. It's not just like this for practices, but also for games:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUlmGCYUAAAF7Fc.jpg

LongIslandZagFan
11-24-2015, 12:47 PM
One of the more compelling things about this place they're playing at is just how dark it is in the stands. It's not just like this for practices, but also for games:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUlmGCYUAAAF7Fc.jpg

I noticed that last year. Kinda cool for the fan at home... not sure how that is for the players.

Mantua
11-24-2015, 12:56 PM
L

Team FG%:
UW 45.6%

GU :6 (Perkins is shooting .375 right now and amazingly Wiltjer at .444) otherwise we'd have 8.

UW: 4 (one guy at .444 as well but only averages about 13 mpg but willing to fudge it for them a smidge)

This.

If Wiltjer has a good night and we manage to hang on to the ball and stay out of foul trouble, we win big. UW is not a perfect team by a long shot.

Our guards are not without talent. They do have speed.

As I said in another post, the Huskies do commit a lot of fouls. They turn the ball over the same as we do.

gu03alum
11-24-2015, 01:42 PM

Team FG%:
UW 45.6%

I would like to add Kenpom rankings

6 Gonzaga
96 UW

ZagsGoZags
11-24-2015, 02:19 PM
David Crisp will be a great matchup for Josh Perkins in reflexes and quickness
welcome to D1 pressure on point guards, both with cat-like quickness
there is more to this game than a win or loss,
feels like Richmond Union High School when I knew I had a fist fight coming after school ...
like Kidwell, I hope our guys are ready to bring it tomorrow

maynard g krebs
11-24-2015, 05:26 PM
I am anxiously waiting to see two things. First if we can handle the press and second if we can out rebound UW offensively. They have been getting 47% of their offensive boards. If we can hold them to around a normal 20% and not have excessive turnovers we will win big. Of course a decent 3 point % would be a hugh help.

"Normal" is closer to a third.

But yeah, defensive rebounding is the biggest worry in this game because UW's bigs are mostly quicker to the ball. But I think this has been a big point of emphasis in game prep along with ball security.

Skill and experience win out. Zags 85-76.

willandi
11-24-2015, 07:18 PM
I think you guys are delusional. UW is legit, and our guards are extremely inexperienced. We win this by five, at most. It will be a nail-biter, which we can definitely lose.

How are our guards more inexperienced than all their freshman? Everybody keeps saying that, and our freshman are just about as experienced as their freshmen, and we have a lot of seasoned players.

Actually thought about this. Perkins is a redshirt Frosh, and has more experience than their 4 starting freshmen, and Alberts is a RS Freshman. ALL THE REST OF OUR 9 SCHOLARSHIP PLAYERS HAVE EXPERIENCE AT THE D1 LEVEL!. UW is the inexperienced team. They will not be able to deal with us. My prediction just might be too close.

Zags 85 UW 70

upan8th
11-24-2015, 08:15 PM
The most galling part of a loss to the Fusskies would be exactly that. GU's loss would be to a bunch of freshmen, hardly the fab five, coached by the inept, much reviled, LR. The psychological affects of that might be enough to reconsider the resumption of the series (from GU's standpoint). At the very least, an L would readjust an established focus of untold numbers of rose colored glasses in Zagland, & across the globe regarding GU's prospects & program. The term "staggering loss," in this case, could not be more apt. No doubt the coaching staff is fully aware of the stakes. Question is, have they been able to communicate it to their already entitled, untried team. Guess here is that the team will be complacent, down early, and may, or may not recover the deficit in the final minutes, seconds.

bballbeachbum
11-25-2015, 07:06 AM
would like to see a barn burner worthy of a rivalry renewal game like this with the Zags coming out on top

Zag365
11-25-2015, 07:25 AM
We are the better team. Hopefully we start with lots of energy but discipline. The odds that we build a big early lead and UW collapses are small IMHO. Need to play to our strength inside and make high percentage shots (as has been our MO for years). Collect the majority of the loose rebounds -- no second-chances for the Husky gunslingers.

Don't let the Huskies successfully press or turn us over. If we prevent them from getting comfortable from 3 pt. line or going on runs of more than 6 pts. at time, we gradually pull away.

Let's do this!

GoZags
11-25-2015, 07:36 AM
Couldn't disagree more. This Gonzaga team will be much better in two months. Even better in 4 months. Today's game is meaningless in the big picture. If the Zags lose today and end up in the Final Four. .... Then GU owns ALL bragging rights.
The most galling part of a loss to the Fusskies would be exactly that. GU's loss would be to a bunch of freshmen, hardly the fab five, coached by the inept, much reviled, LR. The psychological affects of that might be enough to reconsider the resumption of the series (from GU's standpoint). At the very least, an L would readjust an established focus of untold numbers of rose colored glasses in Zagland, & across the globe regarding GU's prospects & program. The term "staggering loss," in this case, could not be more apt. No doubt the coaching staff is fully aware of the stakes. Question is, have they been able to communicate it to their already entitled, untried team. Guess here is that the team will be complacent, down early, and may, or may not recover the deficit in the final minutes, seconds.

gu03alum
11-25-2015, 07:46 AM
Couldn't disagree more. This Gonzaga team will be much better in two months. Even better in 4 months. Today's game is meaningless in the big picture. If the Zags lose today and end up in the Final Four. .... Then GU owns ALL bragging rights.

I have a lot riding on this game....Coffee and lunch and all the Husky fans giving me grief for the next 12 months

willandi
11-25-2015, 07:50 AM
I have a lot riding on this game....Coffee and lunch and all the Husky fans giving me grief for the next 12 months

Unless GU, despite losing this game, makes it to the FF and UW once again misses the tournament! Then you can smile and dish it back.

Zagdawg
11-25-2015, 07:50 AM
Pargo tweet to some Huskies....

Anyone care to put something on the game tonight?? #BulldogsOverHuskies @QuincyPondexter @tremurder @nate_robinson @Isaiah_Thomas

gu03alum
11-25-2015, 07:52 AM
Unless GU, despite losing this game, makes it to the FF and UW once again misses the tournament! Then you can smile and dish it back.

I don't think you understand the simple mind of a Husky fan.