PDA

View Full Version : that wa a close 45pt game

Outraged
11-21-2015, 07:04 PM
That was the closest 45pt or game I ever saw.

jazzdelmar
11-21-2015, 07:06 PM
MSM played wonderfully. That's one reason. Kudos to those kids and the staff. Few should go into their locker room and tell them that

Birddog
11-21-2015, 07:23 PM
It was like watching a demolition derby or figure 8 racing.

raise the zag
11-21-2015, 07:25 PM
Where would MSM finish in WCC?

I say 4th. Maybe 5th. No lower

You?

CDC84
11-21-2015, 08:44 PM
What impressed me was how hard they played. Their schedule has been insane so far. It takes a lot for a coach to continue to motivate his team when they're experiencing beat down after beat down. Their schedule lightens up now. It's kind of interesting how they scheduled....four really tough road games to start the year at Maryland, Ohio State, UW and GU. After that, low majors to round out the non-league sked. So what little confidence they lost should come back soon as long as they keep playing hard like that.

Zag_Dad
11-21-2015, 08:55 PM
I

You?

Seriously? How many WCC teams will GU hang 100 on? How many WCC opponents will GU beat by 45? Let's not get carried away here. MSM was feisty and I admire their tenacity but let's not overplay their talent and understate that if our covnference.

maynard g krebs
11-21-2015, 09:00 PM

You?

Kenpom puts them 8th at #215, behind GU, BYU, Pepp, SMC, USF (158), Pacific(190), Portland(202).

Goshzagit
11-21-2015, 09:02 PM
I

Seriously? How many WCC teams will GU hang 100 on? How many WCC opponents will GU beat by 45? Let's not get carried away here. MSM was feisty and I admire their tenacity but let's not overplay their talent and understate that if our covnference.

Hmm…Mount St Mary's was a NCAA Tournament team. Also, the favorite to win their respective conference this season -- picked 1st.

Gonzaga only put up 40 in 1st half, yet how many times will they shoot 9 of 12 from 3pt in one half?

I saw more guard talent on MSM than half the WCC teams.

Predicted finish was 5th. BYU, SMC, Pepp, Gonzaga, then possibly MSM.

I say bottom half, but outside of SMC, WCC has been getting waxed this season, by team's arguably worse than MSM.

Zag_Dad
11-21-2015, 09:17 PM
its just hard for me to imagine a team that lost consecutive games by more than 30 points is worthy of being placed mid pack in the WCC. They didn't execute what was supposed to be their biggest strength, 3 point shooting. I really didn't see anything about their guard play that would lead me to believe they have better guards than more than half the WCC teams. I don't mean to take anything away from MSM, but I find it troubling that we GU fans are always defending GUs success over critics who say "they play in a weak WCC conference" then our same fans throw the conference under the buss by saying a team that lost to UW by more than 30 would finish mid pack in the WCC.

lawprof99
11-21-2015, 09:25 PM
He was the St Mary's Coach for a number of years. One of the GU all time greats. May have been at the game tonight, but no mention made of the St Marys connection.

zagsfanforlife
11-21-2015, 09:39 PM
Play like we did tonight and we lose to UW by 15-20. Seriously. I am typing this as I watch the replay at the 16 min mark in the second half, but i dont care. We wont be in sniffing distance if you play that bad in the first half. How many stupid stupid, did I mention stupid turnovers are our 1 and 2 guards going to make? Careless. Just dropping the ball, passing to (NOONE???). I understand some people dont want to acknowledge it and hopefully its just growing pains or maybe im just in a pissy mood 2nite, but its really poorly executed basketball. By the title of this thread, i guess we end up winning by 45... which means a 30 pt switch from what i am seeing now... however; like i just said. We wont be in distance of UW with the play we showed in the first half. 15 turnovers now... with UW athletes, it would be 25 at this point. Lets get it together boys. Perk and Macclelan really gotta pick it up.

zagsfanforlife
11-21-2015, 09:51 PM
No chance MccLelan only had 2 turnovers as the box score i just saw says. If thats all they credited him for, they must have mistakenly given ones he was at fault for to other people. Box score looks good. 5-5 (all easy layups)... idk. I am uneasy every time he has the ball. Looking at the stats, its tough to justify my angst in my above post, but As someone who has coached at the highest levels, I am very concerned with that play once the team plays a UW caliber team of athletes, or even a better top 25 team. I really dont see the game going in our favor. Long season to go, but I still havent seen the top 15 team I was expecting this year.

Ezag
11-21-2015, 09:58 PM
Shows you how great the WCC is (NOT!)

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-22-2015, 04:46 AM
Any good coach who watches film of that game will see a Gonzaga team that is very beatable. We did not handle the press very well. Even when we got through the press without a turnover, we did a poor job of transitioning into our half court offense on several possessions. We looked rushed on offense for much of the game. We continued to shoot poorly from outside for much of this game. Defensively, we gave up a lot of open three-point shots that just didn't fall for The Mountaineers. I am worried about Atlantis.

Goshzagit
11-22-2015, 05:36 AM
Any good coach who watches film of that game will see a Gonzaga team that is very beatable. We did not handle the press very well. Even when we got through the press without a turnover, we did a poor job of transitioning into our half court offense on several possessions. We looked rushed on offense for much of the game. We continued to shoot poorly from outside for much of this game. Defensively, we gave up a lot of open three-point shots that just didn't fall for The Mountaineers. I am worried about Atlantis.

Our guards acted as if they've never played against a press before --

They all need to get stronger, that's for sure.

Why dribble backwards and away from defense?

Dribble through it or pass to the open man. Don't hesitate or wait. Push the ball forward to continue to move the ball.

At least we know what they'll be working on in practice.

To be fair, Coach Few & Michaelson admitted they did not scout Mount St Mary's and took this week of practice to, "work on themselves and not the opponent".

It showed.

Our overall talent won that game last night, but also exposed numerous weaknesses.

If I'm UW, Texas, UConn, Zona, UCLA, Tennessee, et al, you bet your arse I'm pressing Gonzaga guards.

I'm also trapping them.

Perkins cannot sustain his dribble for fear of looking out of control. McClellan dribbles so far ahead of his body, its like taking candy from a baby. Melson puts his head down and dribbles to nowhere. Alberts actually looked the best vs pressure D, yet isn't given the chance. Dranginis is the better passer out of press, but his handles aren't tight.

Its almost as if our guards don't work on their ball-handling vs tough defense. Its hard to simulate in practice, I suppose, but hope they begin to execute or we can expect 20+ TO's in games vs Top-25 teams.

Press and trap these guards. They look uncomfortable, act uncomfortable, and prove to be uncomfortable.

McClellan had the ball stolen at least 4 times. Passing to air, dribbling to nowhere, getting stripped, etc. Perkins was marginally better.

They all shot the ball much better, even shot selection was improved WHEN we got the ball cleanly from one end to another.

I have a feeling UW might be the most athletically gifted team we see this entire season, if not in College hoops, and they will eat our guards alive.

Our bigs can and will dominate IF given the damn ball. Can the guards get the ball past half-court? Can they find a way to break a press efficiently? Can they move the ball enough to find our bigs opportunity? Or even a better looking shot attempt then a heave or last-second thought?

Remains to be seen.

RenoZag
11-22-2015, 06:18 AM
Zags shot 59% from the field, 50% on 3 PT FG, 70% from the line. Outrebounded MSM 49 - 25. They had 19 fast break points to MSM's 10.

I agree our guards need to do a better job taking care of the rock but I'm not willing to give in to all of this doom and gloom after a "W". If they had won by 55 people would still have angst in their pants about the Huskies.

gonstu
11-22-2015, 06:25 AM
Jeez you guys, I know it was a far from perfect game but come on they broke 100, shot well, won by almost 50. I get wanting the team to succeed but some of you seem downright pissed!

Hoopaholic
11-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Our guards acted as if they've never played against a press before --

They all need to get stronger, that's for sure.

Why dribble backwards and away from defense?

Dribble through it or pass to the open man. Don't hesitate or wait. Push the ball forward to continue to move the ball.

At least we know what they'll be working on in practice.

To be fair, Coach Few & Michaelson admitted they did not scout Mount St Mary's and took this week of practice to, "work on themselves and not the opponent".

It showed.

Our overall talent won that game last night, but also exposed numerous weaknesses.

If I'm UW, Texas, UConn, Zona, UCLA, Tennessee, et al, you bet your arse I'm pressing Gonzaga guards.

I'm also trapping them.

Perkins cannot sustain his dribble for fear of looking out of control. McClellan dribbles so far ahead of his body, its like taking candy from a baby. Melson puts his head down and dribbles to nowhere. Alberts actually looked the best vs pressure D, yet isn't given the chance. Dranginis is the better passer out of press, but his handles aren't tight.

Its almost as if our guards don't work on their ball-handling vs tough defense. Its hard to simulate in practice, I suppose, but hope they begin to execute or we can expect 20+ TO's in games vs Top-25 teams.

Press and trap these guards. They look uncomfortable, act uncomfortable, and prove to be uncomfortable.

McClellan had the ball stolen at least 4 times. Passing to air, dribbling to nowhere, getting stripped, etc. Perkins was marginally better.

They all shot the ball much better, even shot selection was improved WHEN we got the ball cleanly from one end to another.

I have a feeling UW might be the most athletically gifted team we see this entire season, if not in College hoops, and they will eat our guards alive.

Our bigs can and will dominate IF given the damn ball. Can the guards get the ball past half-court? Can they find a way to break a press efficiently? Can they move the ball enough to find our bigs opportunity? Or even a better looking shot attempt then a heave or last-second thought?

Remains to be seen.

Against run and jump full court defense you must back out of the blind side double to create space and passing angle..the failure was weak side player whose defender left him to double team continued to go away from the ball instead of flashing back to the open spot
Run and jump wants you to think its a normal full court press as the rotation will be in the passing lanes you expect to be there

Reborn
11-22-2015, 09:47 AM
Zags score 60 points in the second half. Yep! That was a horrible game for them. Shot 9-12 from behind the arc in second half. Yep! Just horrible. Scored 100 points. Yep! Bad team. What was it, 6 guys scoring in double figures. Yep! Bad night. Our guards are getting more comfortable shooting the rock. That was nice to see.

I think Melson had a really good game. He looked and played the way I know he can. It was really nice to see that. I think Gonzaga has a very good stable of guards with a lot of talent. I really like them all: Dranginis, Perkins, EMac, Melson and Alberts. I thought Dranginis also had a very good game and it was nice seeing him becoming more aggressive with the basketball on offense, and we all know he has a great shooting touch from the outside and it was great seeing him knock down those 3's. Oh Yeah! And we outrebounded them by 23 I think...Pretty bad night.

Yes! The turnovers were ugly in the first half by the whole team not just the guards. They cleaned it up big time in the second half. Accept for the last couple of minutes of the first half, I feel our defense is looking dang good for this early in the season. I am really liking this team A LOT. Go Zags!!!

SunDevilGolfZag
11-22-2015, 09:56 AM
Coach Michaelson on the post game radio show seemed quite pleased with the efforts of our guards against the helter skelter variety of presses, etc. Hudson and Santangello were likewise complimentary. I was at the game and perceived it the same way, at least in the second half. A very good overall game against a tough team to play against with their bump and grab playground style

Zagdawg
11-22-2015, 11:37 AM
Mt St Marys had "Mayhem" on the back of their jerseys for a reason-- they liked to press/dirty it up and make as big of a mess as possible.

I am glad the Zag guards got to play against so full court press --because they will probably see it against UW on Wednesday.

Definite learning experience for our younger guards-- hopefully will pay dividends.

seacatfan
11-22-2015, 12:47 PM
Box score looks good. 5-5 (all easy layups)

Nope. 2-2 from the 3 point arc for McClellan.

Marcus
11-22-2015, 01:46 PM
This team is really fun to watch. The pace they play at is incredible, even the bigs are out there trying to move it quickly to get a running opportunity. They have a lot of room for improvement but wow, when it all comes together, they will be extremely tough to deal with. While last nights game had a few warts, overall it was encouraging. They were getting anything they wanted and their mistakes were their own from trying to make too much happen. Bring on UW!

mgadfly
11-23-2015, 09:13 AM
The Zags didn't look good against the pressure but how many teams are going to (1) have the personnel to press, (2) have the depth to press, (3) are committed to the press in practice like MSM and (4) are willing to give up the easy dunks when it doesn't work.

This was a good game because we played a team that has completely committed to pressing full court and playing 11 guys. That's a lot different than a coach (even with better players) looking at game film and seeing a possible way to exploit the Zags and slapping on a full court press after practicing it a few times for a specific opponent. That press is going to end up giving up a lot of dunks and open three pointers.

I'm excited for this tourney because it gives us a chance to see how we match up against some more talented competition. Are our young guards ready to roll? We get to find out, but they did really well against MSM and I don't think many good coaches will be using that (a 45 point loss) as the blue print to beating the Zags.