PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow, Don'tmiss has a mid range jumper now!!

thespywhozaggedme
11-19-2015, 07:06 AM
Wow, if this is now part of his regular repertoire, all bets are off. His jumper was perfect. Wow, just wow.

jazzdelmar
11-19-2015, 07:30 AM
Wow, if this is now part of his regular repertoire, all bets are off. His jumper was perfect. Wow, just wow.

Just a tiny crit, he passed on a couple even after making two.

exclusivelee
11-19-2015, 07:35 AM
Sabonis has had the midrange and outside jumpers in his tool bag and has displayed it many times in international competition. The Zags coaching staff just didn't have that in their game plan for him as a freshman

thespywhozaggedme
11-19-2015, 07:37 AM
Glad they're letting him use it now, glad he had confidence in it and glad his stroke looked so good. He's gonna be indefensible this season.
Sabonis has had the midrange and outside jumpers in his tool bag and has displayed it many times in international competition. The Zags coaching staff just didn't have that in their game plan for him as a freshman

thespywhozaggedme
11-19-2015, 07:37 AM
You can find a dark cloud in any silver lining, lol
Just a tiny crit, he passed on a couple even after making two.

Zagceo
11-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Its 1 game I know but how's Few gonna set the line up?

The radio broadcast was completely surprised as they already announced Bonus starting last night and said it was a last minute change…..kinda funny.

Anybody else notice his mouse under his right eye? kinda yellow probably jones in practice

jazzdelmar
11-19-2015, 07:47 AM
You can find a dark cloud in any silver lining, lol

Hardly a cloud, Spymaster. More a beam inside a rainbow.

TacomaZAG
11-19-2015, 07:54 AM

Bingo, ex, glad the staff is taking the training wheels off.............

With Bonus seemingly getting the green light for the rest of his skills this year, it may make the 3-bigs lineup more effective, as Karno and Bonus won't get in each other's way in the paint. One of the announcers last night was discussing spacing with the 3-bigs lineup and made reference to a triangle, and that can only really happen if Bonus is effective both inside and outside the paint.

Great game last night for Bonus, that flagrant 1 foul he got was only because he was being guarded by a little guy. That elbow goes to the chest of a taller player, clears space, 2 points.............

Go ZAGS

ProjectMKUltra5
11-19-2015, 08:12 AM
Bingo, ex, glad the staff is taking the training wheels off.............

With Bonus seemingly getting the green light for the rest of his skills this year, it may make the 3-bigs lineup more effective, as Karno and Bonus won't get in each other's way in the paint. One of the announcers last night was discussing spacing with the 3-bigs lineup and made reference to a triangle, and that can only really happen if Bonus is effective both inside and outside the paint.

Great game last night for Bonus, that flagrant 1 foul he got was only because he was being guarded by a little guy. That elbow goes to the chest of a taller player, clears space, 2 points.............

Go ZAGS

To continue your point about the big 3, if Sabo can start going high in our high/low post game I think that could be the the thing that opens things up and makes it effective. My biggest gripe was that the roles were far to definded, as in PK and Sabo on the block and Wiltjer outside. If Sabo and Wiljter can start switching things up and play that high/low the offense will be much more efficient

thespywhozaggedme
11-19-2015, 08:13 AM
:)

Hardly a cloud, Spymaster. More a beam inside a rainbow.

TexasZagFan
11-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Sad to say, but I think young Mr. Sabonis will be playing in the NBA next year.

CDC84
11-19-2015, 08:25 AM
He worked all offseason on it.

TexasZagFan
11-19-2015, 08:42 AM

O/T, but I'm going to show this thread to my son. I worked with him for a month, getting him ready for basketball tryouts that followed the last football game by two days. Got him to buy in to using the backboard from the wing, told him coaches love that stuff. He's now killing it from 12-15 feet. He made the team, 75+ boys tried out for 32 spots.

We'll still be going to the gym, but I won't be playing anymore one-on-one with him...I'm no competition for him (I've beaten him once in the last two months). He's learned the benefit of playing in the pickup games there, against men 10-25 years older than him. Whereas "pass" is a four letter word in middle school basketball, he's learned that more experienced players dish the ball with regularity.

CdAZagFan
11-19-2015, 08:55 AM
The one thing I was hoping to see from Domas in the 2nd half was a 3-point shot - and darned if he didn't make one (I'm not so sure that was traveling....). Have always been hoping for both Shem and Domas to take more mid-range jumpers to pull their guys out a little and free up some space. It would be great if Domas had the green light to take some three-pointers this year.

thespywhozaggedme
11-19-2015, 09:01 AM
And it showed. He's unguardable now; has everything in his game.

thespywhozaggedme
11-19-2015, 09:02 AM
I don't think he shot a 3 last night.
The one thing I was hoping to see from Domas in the 2nd half was a 3-point shot - and darned if he didn't make one (I'm not so sure that was traveling....). Have always been hoping for both Shem and Domas to take more mid-range jumpers to pull their guys out a little and free up some space. It would be great if Domas had the green light to take some three-pointers this year.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-19-2015, 09:06 AM
He's had it ever since arriving at GU. As Wiltjer said, we had a leash on him last year. Said leash has been vaporized.

raise the zag
11-19-2015, 09:32 AM
A significant # of his pts for Lithuania Senior were mid-range jumpers. He has shown/flashed this ability since June.

seacatfan
11-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Please let's not go back to the Big 3. Start Sabonis instead of Karnowski if you want, but 2 bigs at a time works great, 3 not so much. They went back to it late in the 2nd half and again it just clogged things up.

raise the zag
11-19-2015, 09:49 AM
Please let's not go back to the Big 3. Start Sabonis instead of Karnowski if you want, but 2 bigs at a time works great, 3 not so much. They went back to it late in the 2nd half and again it just clogged things up.

So agree. Wonder if we didn't start the "Big 3" based on Northern Zonas 3 guard lineup? I sure hope not.

Scrap it, unless u zone the entire time &/or have a sizeable lead.

maynard g krebs
11-19-2015, 02:38 PM
I don't think he shot a 3 last night.

He did, from the top of the key, and it went in. He was whistled for shuffling his feet before shooting.

maynard g krebs
11-19-2015, 02:45 PM
I've always been opposed to the 3 big lineup mostly because of the fact that Sabonis and Karnowski both have only scored in the post, and things get too clogged and stagnant. If Sabonis starts consistently shooting and hitting jumpers whenever he's open from 15' out to the 3, it could change make the lineup viable in stretches, as long as they play zone.

seacatfan
11-19-2015, 03:24 PM
I've always been opposed to the 3 big lineup mostly because of the fact that Sabonis and Karnowski both have only scored in the post, and things get too clogged and stagnant. If Sabonis starts consistently shooting and hitting jumpers whenever he's open from 15' out to the 3, it could change make the lineup viable in stretches, as long as they play zone.

Wiltjer and Sabonis are both most effective operating near the rim. Turning both into mostly jump shooters takes away their strength. I will continue to believe any two of Wiltjer, Sabonis and Karnowski together are fantastic, but all 3 together just doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

ZAG 4 LIFE
11-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Don'tMiss is a fabulous player... Amazing combo of skills and intensity.
He now needs to get comfortable scoring the ball over his left shoulder
With his right hand... And be able to make that shot in the paint, or on
the block, Pretty much on demand.

Really good teams with some size will jump to his right shoulder and force
him to turn towards his left shoulder. If he can make that Little jump hook
with his right hand at a high percentage... Then he is just about unstoppable...
And NBA bound. 😳

On second thought... Let's work on that right hand jump hook for next season...
The NBA will be there... No sense in rushing through these college years 😎

Jstock12
11-20-2015, 04:36 AM

What about that Eurostep at 2:20?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GywGVCKYSro

3zagda
11-20-2015, 05:27 AM
Wow, impressive highlight film.
At 2:20, looked like a legal 2 steps to me.
DS, please rinse and repeat in the in "Atlantis".That will be a better test.

bballbeachbum
11-20-2015, 10:49 AM
plenty of hi lo action with Shem and Sabonis last year I thought, maybe my memory is off? each year that is more possible
anyway, with the right matchups it will happen again seems to me, the hi lo with those two guys, each can make that pass and each has that 15-17 footer but certainly can understand the staff with KW on the perimeter doing it for obvious reasons

DixieZag
11-20-2015, 12:02 PM

His father shot brilliantly from the outside. No reason to think that Domas wasn't practicing the same all while growing up.

krii
11-20-2015, 12:31 PM
On practice it looks like PK can make a lot of threes and long twos. I feel it can be a thing after draft to work on mid-range & 3's.

ZagsGoZags
11-20-2015, 01:48 PM
also PK,
did you catch the right handed shot-hook Shem made from about 8 ft out
I can't remember him hooking with right hand before ...
how great is this if it is reliable enough to be a weapon, and if he is confident with it ...

GeorgiaZagFan
11-20-2015, 09:01 PM

I think in these games PK should shoot a few mid-range ...he really has good form and with confidence the shots will drop enough to keep the defense honest. He will definitely need that mid-range shot if he plans to play beyond college.