PDA

View Full Version : A little disappointed with my first look at a newcomer last night....

ChicagoZag
11-19-2015, 05:16 AM
...the new floor.

Do not like the "Zags" logo on each baseline instead of "Gonzaga" and "Bulldogs".

I know I sound like the old man I guess I am becoming, but I remember that back in the day, the term "Zags" was rarely used. I'm beginning to believe that the fact that Gonzaga is actually the Bulldogs will be lost on casual fans. Zags is great, but as a secondary term. If it gets overused, and I think it is beginning to in discussion of the school's basketball team, it will begin to lose some of its uniqueness.

Aesthetically, I also think the old baselines looked better as they filled the space better.

Other than that, great to see two halves of basketball last night! Team looks to be a lot of fun this year.

Now, lets get back to wearing regular uniforms!

Guess that's all I have to say, now get off my lawn!

Zagsker
11-19-2015, 05:22 AM
Completely agree, "Zags" is waaaaay overused...just like wearing our black Zags uni for any big game...I like the black uni's but would prefer then to say "BULLDOGS" on the front

Reborn
11-19-2015, 05:29 AM
How could anyone thing the Zags are not still the Bulldogs when the bulldog is on everything that is sold: hats, sweatshirts, sweatpants, ect. And the bulldog that is used is a really cool one.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-19-2015, 05:53 AM
Completely agree, "Zags" is waaaaay overused...just like wearing our black Zags uni for any big game...I like the black uni's but would prefer then to say "BULLDOGS" on the front

I like ZAGS because it's our nickname. There are probably 20 other teams called the Bulldogs, just in D1. Let's be the Eagles...no... the Wildcats!

This is just a non-issue.

ZagsObserver
11-19-2015, 06:00 AM
I like ZAGS because it's our nickname. There are probably 20 other teams called the Bulldogs, just in D1. Let's be the Eagles...no... the Wildcats!

This is just a non-issue.

Was going to post the same thought. "Zags" is distinctive, "bulldogs" is about as generic as they come.

Birddog
11-19-2015, 06:04 AM
There are by my count, 42 colleges that have Bulldogs as a mascot, second only to Eagles and just ahead of Wildcats and Tigers. There is only one team referred to as The Zags. I know that "Zags" has been used in print since at least 1957, probably earlier than that. Yale for instance, has a Bulldog mascot, but they are probably as well known as the "Elis". The dual reference is fine by me, I have no opinion on the new floor. Thank God we are not the "Cardinal" and symbolized by a tree.

bartruff1
11-19-2015, 06:27 AM
click bait

soccerdud
11-19-2015, 09:09 AM
meh. i graduated in 2005, and there's no question that i more strongly identify with (and prefer) "zags" to "bulldogs." not sure if it's generational or what.

agree about uniqueness. "bulldogs" is more strongly associated with UGA. we are zags.

not saying we should abandon "bulldogs" or anything, but in terms of which should be used/displayed most prominently? i definitely say "go zags!"

edited to add: (credits to sage)-- also, the nickname "zags" is probably our most useful tool for teaching people to pronounce "gonzaga" correctly.

sage
11-19-2015, 09:32 AM
It's great !! Why?? Because the idiot big time announcers CAN'T misspronounce it !!

raise the zag
11-19-2015, 09:38 AM
All the recruits & prospects refer to us as either 'Gonzaga', & mostly the 'Zags' these days.

Nike too.

It's distinct. Unique. A BRAND.

My no-knowledge colleagues all ask, "how are your Zags doing?".

I have some close friends who had no idea we are the Bulldogs. They actually believed Zags were a nickname for our Bulldog logo somehow...haha

ChicagoZag
11-19-2015, 04:19 PM
meh. i graduated in 2005, and there's no question that i more strongly identify with (and prefer) "zags" to "bulldogs." not sure if it's generational or what.

agree about uniqueness. "bulldogs" is more strongly associated with UGA. we are zags.

not saying we should abandon "bulldogs" or anything, but in terms of which should be used/displayed most prominently? i definitely say "go zags!"

edited to add: (credits to sage)-- also, the nickname "zags" is probably our most useful tool for teaching people to pronounce "gonzaga" correctly.

I think you turned me around on this based on the pronounciation angle alone. Still finding national broadcasters who can't figure this out.

MDABE80
11-19-2015, 08:33 PM
If you say "Zags" they know exactly who you're talking about. If you say "Bulldogs", they'll ask "which one ?". There is only one and it's only the "ZAGS"!
Never seen such a well known and distictive "brand ".