PDA

View Full Version : Heister Watch

jazzdelmar
11-19-2015, 03:56 AM
Heister was marginally better but slipped into a rant about KW in the 2d half that echoed his terrible work last game. Still, as a team the three really don't narrate the game as much as engage over the game in hot stove league talk about GU past and present. Endless comparisons the most unnerving of which was when H said Josh was best passer since BS and then going back to MS........presumably sitting next to perhaps the best PG in GU modern history. The game was a bore apart from just enjoying how DS plays every freaking minute. Can't coach that, you recruit it. Josh's TOs are unsettling. Hard to turn that flaw off in big games. KD disappeared after a nice run and Karno was simply terrible in every phase except passing. Mac is the most disappointing player thus far. More Alberts, please.

Zaga
11-19-2015, 05:32 AM
Yes, yes more Alberts.

Zagceo
11-19-2015, 06:09 AM
Never heard a word from Heister ......use tunin app and listen to Tom & Matt soooooooo much better. Professional and informative.

Never again

bartruff1
11-19-2015, 06:25 AM
I thought he was much better...focused almost entirely on the game.

TacomaZAG
11-19-2015, 07:46 AM
I thought the trio was better tonight, give me more "big Sexy" and less H and DD.

The one comment that caught me last night was when Richard compared Sabonis' motor to the ZAG gold standard in that department.........Casey Calvary.

Accolades don't get any better than that.

I'll give the trio a small pass last night, hard to intelligently fill air space in a 40 point beat down that was over before the first half ended.

Go ZAGS

jazzdelmar
11-19-2015, 07:57 AM
I thought the trio was better tonight, give me more "big Sexy" and less H and DD.

The one comment that caught me last night was when Richard compared Sabonis' motor to the ZAG gold standard in that department.........Casey Calvary.

I'll give the trio a small pass last night, hard to intelligently fill air space in a 40 point beat down that was over before the first half ended.

Go ZAGS

But there was no need for Horses Ass H to tack on, of course DS is a lot more talented. Gratuitous.

TacomaZAG
11-19-2015, 08:00 AM
But there was no need for Horses Ass H to tack on, of course DS is a lot more talented. Gratuitous.

Can't argue with you there Jazz.................

Go ZAGS

jazzdelmar
11-19-2015, 08:01 AM
Can't argue with you there Jazz.................

Go ZAGS

That's the kind of stuff that marks him so unprofessional.

CDC84
11-19-2015, 08:02 AM

David Pendergraft tends to be a forgotten man in this area.

jazzdelmar
11-19-2015, 08:05 AM

Mike Hart, Mark Spink. Foxs whole premise was wayward. This trio is absolutely hung up on "remember whens" and it's unprofessional, counter productive and in the end inaccurate

Zagceo
11-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Mike Hart, Mark Spink. Foxs whole premise was wayward. This trio is absolutely hung up on "remember whens" and it's unprofessional, counter productive and in the end inaccurate

and exactly what you don't get from Tom & Matt

TacomaZAG
11-19-2015, 09:23 AM

Good call, CDC.............

Regarding the "way back" machine that H'sAH, DD, and RF seemed to be riding last night, and most nights, it got me thinking about guys in years past who played their entire ZAG career out of position. Pendo was one for sure, as were Josh Heytvelt and many others. Imagine this year's team if Wiltjer were the only effective big, like Josh was on his ZAG roster. Josh was a stretch 4, just like Kyle, but had to play as a 5 due to the lack of a serviceable big. Likewise, Pendo played the 4 and sometimes the 5 at 6'-6", when his skill set was much more suited to a 3 or even a 2.

Circumstance plays such a huge part in athletic career success. Can you imagine KW as the 5 on this year's team??? Talk about wasting a skill set.............

If Josh could have played the 4, and Pendo the 2 or 3, those guys may have gone down as all-timers to wear the ZAG colors. Pendo is an all-timer in my book anyway, as shown by my signed 25 jersey, just keeping the "way back" machine cranked up since it's still so early in the season............

Go ZAGS

raise the zag
11-19-2015, 09:44 AM
Yes, yes more Alberts.

This.

And not just because his shooting.

He gets it. Clear as day.

He does what they ask him to do.

Spot up, swing the ball, find the next option, get the ball down low, defend, etc

A rising player, who will earn more PT.

As I've said, coaches adore him.

Notice how 90% of Coach Few's post game comments centered on Alberts, followed by Sabonis?

He stated he's one player who is needed with THIS team. A player who doesn't force anything, plays within the system, stays calm, & knocks down shots.

By seasons end, could be our 7th man. Silas is talented yet beats to his own drum.

seacatfan
11-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Karno was simply terrible in every phase except passing.

That's a bit harsh. He settled down in the 2nd half and had some nice post moves. 3-5 FTs is certainly better than his historical average. 9 boards. A couple blocks. I hate seeing big men get stripped of the ball by little guys, very frustrating, that happened several times to Karno last night. Needs to clean that up.

Agree Heister wasn't too bad. I wasn't paying much attention to him, which is good, means he wasn't a total distraction.

maynard g krebs
11-19-2015, 12:14 PM
The thread title gave me a great idea. There's a Mickey Mouse watch, and now there's a Smart Watch. Why not a Heister watch? For those who don't like the Smart Watch, especially, it provides an alternative.

It could announce the hour by roaring like a monster truck engine revving, and give regular reminders that Arvydas Sabonis wasn't really that good.

The ultimate Christmas gift for the Zag fan you hate.

jazzdelmar
11-19-2015, 12:31 PM
The thread title gave me a great idea. There's a Mickey Mouse watch, and now there's a Smart Watch. Why not a Heister watch? For those who don't like the Smart Watch, especially, it provides an alternative.

It could announce the hour by roaring like a monster truck engine revving, and give regular reminders that Arvydas Sabonis wasn't really that good.

The ultimate Christmas gift for the Zag fan you hate.

Only problem, it runs backwards cause time was more fun, faster, stronger in the past.

the_zag_abides
11-19-2015, 05:38 PM
For the TL, DR crowd and I don’t blame you this a lot of words, here is the short version. The broadcast is bad but the broadcasters aren’t and they are capable of doing a much better job, now on to the rant.

First I would just like to thank everyone who runs the board and keeps it going, I’ve been a lurker on this board and the previous ones for over 10 years and it’s nice to have a place to go and see what others are thinking and talking about when it comes to the Zags and Zag related stuff.

I hate for my first ever post to be a negative one but here it goes. The broadcast is awful and it has gotten so bad that at some point last season I decided to just hit the mute button and turn on music when I watch because I seriously doubt I’ll miss anything, which is really a shame. I feel kind of bad criticizing someone anonymously on the internet while hiding behind a goofy screen name when they are just doing their job but that is really the nature of the internet.

I usually don’t click on these threads because they always pop up at the beginning of the year and they are always the same. Mostly it is a lot of criticism directed at Heister and it’s the same old stuff year after year which is fairly accurate, this will then bring out a couple of posters who feel compelled to defend Heister and crew. The defense of the broadcast is kind of comical really, it usually is something along the lines of “You should just be grateful the games are even on TV, years ago they weren’t on at all!!” yeah and you walked to school 20 miles up hill through the snow, there and back, we get it. Saying this is so weird, it would be like saying you should be happy with however the team plays and be glad they have enough players to put a team on the court. It’s okay to have higher expectations than that, come on. I’d like to think we can expect more from the broadcast as well.

I think it was a couple of years ago that Jazzdelmar used a term in a similar thread that described the broadcast perfectly when he called it folksy. I think Jazz is right as it seems that is what they are shooting for. This isn’t personal, I am sure Heister is a great guy and would probably be incredibly fun to sit around and have some beers with while you watch a Zag game but as a broadcaster he is doing a really bad job. I know that broadcasters kind of fit into that general territory of “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” but I do believe Heister is a good broadcaster, he is just doing a terrible job.

Heister has in the past and currently does good work on air and that is what makes it so frustrating. Have you ever heard Heister do a non Zag game? He does the game straight with no act and does a good job. I’ve heard Heister do basketball and even football and he is good, even on Zag home games that ESPN uses him for, he again plays it straight. On ESPN Heister doesn’t act goofy and he lets the color analyst do their job and works well with them. That is really my problem with what Heister does, it isn’t really him per se it’s the shtick that he does on the local broadcast that is tired and old and it’s intentional.

I don’t recall if Heister acted the way he does currently before Ehlo came on board the broadcast but Ehlo was so goofy and would misspeak so often the broadcast was hard to take seriously. At some point Heister, I’m sure with the approval of others also involved with the broadcast started playing this aspect up to where Heister even began to bait and set Ehlo up deliberately encouraging more and more goofy behavior. It was clear what Heister was doing and that he thought it made for good TV. The reality was that it was difficult to listen to and took away from the game and did absolutely nothing to enhance it.

I remember when Ehlo left the broadcast I thought that there would be a return to normalcy with Fox coming on board, sadly I was mistaken. At one point there was an exchange between Heister and Fox in the first year of them working together that really said everything you ever needed to know. The game was a road game at Pepperdine or LMU I don’t remember which but Heister said something unrelated to the game and Fox began to try to describe what had taken place last time down court when suddenly Heister just interrupted and cut Fox off mid-sentence like he is prone to do and it then proceeded to go something like this “Richard, hahaha, Richard, I’m trying to do comedy here Richard hahaha” it was just really bizarre, came out of left field and worst of all Heister hadn’t even said anything funny all broadcast, there was this awkward silence in the booth immediately afterwards and what seemed like an uncomfortable moment at least to me listening at home before Heister went back to rambling. Can you imagine being Fox right then with Heister telling him that he is trying to do some bad comedy routine to basically entertain people who are at home watching while Fox was trying to do his job? Fox should have told Heister “Hey Greg I’m trying to broadcast a basketball game here and I could use your help” This is really the problem, I think Heister views himself as some kind of MC when he should just be the teams broadcaster and stick to calling the game, let the analysts do their job. Can you imagine being a Wave or Bronco and tuning in to watch your team and having to listen to the broadcast ramble on and on aimlessly about anything and everything but the game? I’m sure they expect bias coverage but what they get is just, well, I don’t know how to describe it.

I like the job Fox does, I know some complain about his voice being too “gravelly” but I could care less, I like his insights and respect his opinion. I think Fox would do great if Heister would just let him talk about the action on the court. Dickau needs some work, he’s not a natural that’s for sure but he is much better than when he started in my opinion and really it’s not a big deal considering he didn’t have any experience when he started at least not that I’m aware of and Dickau seems to be growing into the job. I like the idea of having former Zags on the broadcast and I don’t think I’m alone but they need someone to help keep them on point and really guide the telecast.

I hope this post doesn’t come off as to harsh and get the thread nuked from orbit, I also have other complaints about the broadcast but I don’t want to write a book. I doubt many will even bother to read such a long winded and boring post but to summarize the broadcast team is capable of doing a good job but they need to stop with the folksy shtick. This doesn’t mean they can’t have any fun doing the broadcast but it really needs to be taken more seriously. A great example of a three man crew who did just about as well as anyone would be the old McDonough, Bilas and Raftery crew. I don’t expect the guys to be like those three but they could look at old tape and take some notes as to how a professional three man broadcast is supposed to work. It’s too bad because I think the broadcast could be a lot better with the current crew still involved and calling the game but I doubt we will ever see anything change unfortunately. Rant over.

jazzdelmar
11-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Bottom line, the Zags have moved to being a top 15 CBB program, if not higher. Every aspect of the program, and that includes the broadcasts, should likewise be top shelf. "Remember whens" are so yesterday in more ways than one. That's not a Few responsibility. It's an AD, Vp, even president level one. Get on it.

ZagNative
11-19-2015, 06:31 PM
Don't recall if I posted this before, but I received this response to my e-mail to Mike Roth about Heister after the Eastern Oregon game:

Mike passed along your note and we want to thank you for taking the time to provide input. Our broadcasts are a critical component of our ability to serve our fans, and we are always looking to get better at everything we do. I will be sharing your comments, and others, with KHQ as they evaluate their broadcast product and seek ways to make the product they deliver as good as it can be. If I can ever be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Thanks for your support.

Go Zags!

Kris Kassel
Associate Athletic Director, External Operations
Gonzaga University
T: 509-313-4211 • F: 509-313-5730 • M: 509-279-3041
kassel@athletics.gonzaga.edu
McCarthey Athletic Center
502 E. Boone • Spokane, WA

@kriskassel

'm really hoping Heister can be counseled to eliminate the behavior that annoys us all so much. He really has become part of our culture and tradition, so I'd hate to see him be canned.

jazzdelmar
11-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Don't recall if I posted this before, but I received this response to my e-mail to Mike Roth about Heister after the Eastern Oregon game:

So much for institutional responsibility. If GU is like most colleges it would only take a fat cat donor or powerful trustee to initiate a change, not 100s or even 1,000s of mere fans.

VinnyZag
11-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Heister continues to be surprised every time Sabonis shoots with his left hand.

Also, I was amused/horrified at the beginning of the broadcast when he declared that the turquoise uniforms represent "something ... It's around here somewhere ..."

Birddog
11-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Greg's inspiration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFLkqJL-bsc

Our reaction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAAKPJEq1Ew

Zagceo
11-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Heister continues to be surprised every time Sabonis shoots with his left hand.

Also, I was amused/horrified at the beginning of the broadcast when he declared that the turquoise uniforms represent "something ... It's around here somewhere ..."

You're kidding....he did not say that

RenoZag
11-19-2015, 09:03 PM
You're kidding....he did not say that

He was going to explain the reason for the N7 uniforms, couldn't find his crib notes, and said "it's written down here somewhere." Noted that in the game thread last night

jazz nails it:

Bottom line, the Zags have moved to being a top 15 CBB program, if not higher. Every aspect of the program, and that includes the broadcasts, should likewise be top shelf.

willandi
11-20-2015, 06:52 AM
When I first saw the title of this thread, my thought was a literal Heister Watch. It keeps jumping back a few minutes to tell a good time again, gets lost spinning its hands around, and eventually lets you know what time it is.

When I lived in Alabama, they just called it Southern Time...late for everything, but fashionably so!

Reborn
11-20-2015, 07:49 AM
He was going to explain the reason for the N7 uniforms, couldn't find his crib notes, and said "it's written down here somewhere." Noted that in the game thread last night

jazz nails it:

Bottom line, the Zags have moved to being a top 15 CBB program, if not higher. Every aspect of the program, and that includes the broadcasts, should likewise be top shelf. I totally agree with this point of view. And ZagNative adds frosting to the cake with her post. Let's see what happens now. Thanks for taking the time ZN to write to the Associate Director of Athletics-External Opps

zagamatic
11-20-2015, 08:16 AM
Put simply, Heister is the kind of annoying that would make his friends leave him behind to go to the party. Yeah dude, we know. You went on the same useless rant last time, nobody wants to hear it again. And that should definitely not be a behavior that's rewarded not with just employment, but high profile employment.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sam Addams and Richard Fox are my favorite local broadcast team. Followed closely by Tom Hudson and Matt Santangelo.