• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Did you like the new uniforms?

I really did. It was the same shade of blue that we wore back in the late sixties to 1970. If not the same, very close. I think the team wants a new identity. I think they want to be a different kind of team than Gonzaga teams in the past. It's a good idea to me. We have never been THIS talented in the posts, that's for sure.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • HenneZag
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
    I really did. It was the same shade of blue that we wore back in the late sixties to 1970. If not the same, very close. I think the team wants a new identity. I think they want to be a different kind of team than Gonzaga teams in the past. It's a good idea to me. We have never been THIS talented in the posts, that's for sure.
    Reborn,
    The unis worn tonight were a one time deal I believe in support of Native Americans. I personally wasn't crazy about them but that's jmo. I do agree though that the team wants to form a new identity.
    America's Team!

Comment

• Zagsker
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2008

Loved em...I would really like to see a red uni with "BULLDOGS" across the front
      I am working on being a more all around square.

Comment

• Jstock12
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Feb 2014

I really liked the uniforms.

Comment

• doctorzag
          Banned
          • Feb 2009

Thought they looked horrible.

Comment

• Birddog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

They were OK, and as Reborn said, the color looked very similar to the old "Columbia Blue" unis of the 60's. If the guys had been wearing "nutters", I'd have thought i was in a way back machine.
            Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
            Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
            All mimsy were the borogoves,
            And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2011

I'm guessing you had no audio, social media, or access to this site for the last 2 weeks or so?
              "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• Reborn
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

That was a good guess, Mr Factor. How did you get your facts? I actually do not pay a lot of attention to the announcers, and especially when those three guys are the announcers. I mostly focus on watching the game, and try to see what is going on, on the court. And actually because I just moved I really have not been able to use social media very much. First I ordered Direct TV. It took them 5 days to get to my house and then they couldn't get a signal. So I had to go with Charter. I only had to wait 4 days for Charter. My main focus has been on moving from my old place into my new one, and when it came to athletics my main focus has been on my grandson's and my son's high school football team. I even chose to go to my their state playoff game over watching Gonzaga play Pitt. Shame on me, right? I do love Gonzaga, but I will tell you, I don't love them as much as I love my family.
                Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Pallet
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagsker View Post
                  Loved em...I would really like to see a red uni with "BULLDOGS" across the front
                  +100

Thought the blue was great and would love to see a nice red. I thought the ladies red jersey's from last year or the year before were really sharp.

Comment

• Gonzdb8
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Feb 2007

surely there is a way to show our support for the local native american communities without ever wearing these uniforms again. this was like the vancouver grizzlies circa 1997 without the obnoxious trim. someone please put them in a lead box and bury them where we can never be tempted to use them again. i'd recommend sub seabed disposal.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2007

Loved 'em, but from what I understand we won't see them again; shame.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                        Loved 'em, but from what I understand we won't see them again; shame.
                        The uniforms were an aesthetic abomination and an assault on the eye. And while I am 100% in favor of supporting Native Americans, my guess is that the number of Native American kids who watched this game and are going to now decide to start playing basketball because Gonzaga wore turquoise uniforms is actually quite small, if not non-existent. If I were a Native American kid, I'd be put off by the suggestion that I could be motivated to do athletics because the Zags wore a goofy colored jersey for one game. I know many Native Americans and I give them more credit than that.

From the Nike N7 program web site describing their program:

N7 began with a vision. In 2000, Sam McCracken had the idea to sell Nike products directly to Native American tribes to support health promotion and disease prevention programs. Seven years after Nike’s Native American division began, the Nike design team collaborated with various community experts and tribal leaders to create footwear specifically for the Native American community, called Nike Air Native N7. All proceeds from the Air Native N7, which is sold through Native American community centers and tribes, are given back to youth sport and physical activity programs in Native communities across North America through the N7 Fund. Beginning in 2009, Nike expanded N7 product to include a N7 collection available for purchase by anyone inspired by Native athletes and the N7 Fund.

So the idea is to sell shoes to Native Americans. And the deal for years was to donate the proceeds of sales from Native Americans back to Native Americans. Wow. How magnanimous of Nike.

Something tells me this has more to do with Nike doing a feel-good PR stunt whereby they can claim Nike is "doing something" to support Native American youth, than it has to do with supporting Native American youth. The whole deal was more about Nike than Native Americans from what I can decipher here.

But that's just my opinion.

In any event it is not that big of a deal and it is over now. Gonzaga should respectfully opt out of future Nike PR stunts like this if there is a way to do so without violating the contract. We have a deal with Nike to wear their uniforms. That is enough. We don't need to be a pawn in their PR campaigns. We should respectfully opt out. If Nike wants to raise money for Native American causes it should do so directly and without the gimmicks.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

That was a good guess, Mr Factor. How did you get your facts? I actually do not pay a lot of attention to the announcers, and especially when those three guys are the announcers. I mostly focus on watching the game, and try to see what is going on, on the court. And actually because I just moved I really have not been able to use social media very much. First I ordered Direct TV. It took them 5 days to get to my house and then they couldn't get a signal. So I had to go with Charter. I only had to wait 4 days for Charter. My main focus has been on moving from my old place into my new one, and when it came to athletics my main focus has been on my grandson's and my son's high school football team. I even chose to go to my their state playoff game over watching Gonzaga play Pitt. Shame on me, right? I do love Gonzaga, but I will tell you, I don't love them as much as I love my family.
                          You, too? My life pretty much revolves around my 13YO son and 5YO grandson. This week was a bit busier, but not by much: band, hoops tryouts, scouts, and religious ed. That encompasses our activities for the week up through last night. Grandson's got his last two flag fb games today and Saturday. For the past month, I've been working with my son at the gym to get him ready for basketball tryouts. His mom's been driving us both crazy, pestering us for stats on the % of shots he was hitting, particularly FT's. You'd think she'd been analyzing Gonzaga game tape from the questions she was asking us. lol

Let's face it Reborn. Geezers like you and I experienced the years prior to 1999, when we caught lightning. IMHO, we don't display the sense of entitlement that we occasionally see on display. I remember the moments after GoZags and I had a nice conversation in the stands prior to the Tulsa game. After he departed, I was approached by several fans with no affiliation to the school. They had never met anyone who had gone to school there, and they drove from Arkansas just to see a team they had grown to love.

Expectations are off the charts this year, and it's understandable...I'm ready for another trip to Houston, and we'll be there when they play SMU in February.

For the last few years, we made it to most games that were within a day's drive of Dallas: Tulsa, Stillwater, Wichita, Memphis, Houston, etc. It's tough to go that far and see the Zags lose, but it's still worth the trip, because of the time I get to spend with my family. Memphis was a heart breaker, but visiting Sun Studio the next day took away some of the pain. Due to the construction on I-40, we took an alternate route back, which included stretches of roads travelled during the Civil War. It's never about that one game, it's the journey.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
                            The uniforms were an aesthetic abomination and an assault on the eye. And while I am 100% in favor of supporting Native Americans, my guess is that the number of Native American kids who watched this game and are going to now decide to start playing basketball because Gonzaga wore turquoise uniforms is actually quite small, if not non-existent. If I were a Native American kid, I'd be put off by the suggestion that I could be motivated to do athletics because the Zags wore a goofy colored jersey for one game. I know many Native Americans and I give them more credit than that.

From the Nike N7 program web site describing their program:

So the idea is to sell shoes to Native Americans. And the deal for years was to donate the proceeds of sales from Native Americans back to Native Americans. Wow. How magnanimous of Nike.

Something tells me this has more to do with Nike doing a feel-good PR stunt whereby they can claim Nike is "doing something" to support Native American youth, than it has to do with supporting Native American youth. The whole deal was more about Nike than Native Americans from what I can decipher here.

But that's just my opinion.

In any event it is not that big of a deal and it is over now. Gonzaga should respectfully opt out of future Nike PR stunts like this if there is a way to do so without violating the contract. We have a deal with Nike to wear their uniforms. That is enough. We don't need to be a pawn in their PR campaigns. We should respectfully opt out. If Nike wants to raise money for Native American causes it should do so directly and without the gimmicks.
                            In your opinion. Mine differs from yours and their both equally as valid, you're just much more obnoxious about yours.

Comment

• 23dpg
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I liked them. I didn't think I would but I did.
                              Birds aren’t real.

Comment

Working...
                              X