PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs UNA My thoughts after the game

Reborn
11-18-2015, 08:54 PM
Zags won convincingly, and scored 91 points. I believe UNA scored around 51. It was a 40 point blowout. Maybe our guards had trouble with turnovers, but UNA sure couldn't take advantage of them. A 40 pt victory was wonderful to see. If the guards are struggling some with their outside shooting, the bigs sure make up for it with easy baskets. UNA couldn't even think of guarding our bigs. Sabonis scored 26, I think on 12-13 shooting. Now I'd say that was a pretty good game. I believe Wiltjer must have scored 23, and didn't shoot much the second half.Those two really really look good. Wiltjer looks really different to me. He has thinned down, and I believe died his hair. Mt K looks different too as he has a huge beard. He looks like a Mountain man. Sabonis showed he has a real nice outside shot, but is still unbelievable driving to the basket.

Alberts did hit the 3 ball. I believe he hit 3- 4 of them. Real nice shot. He was the only guard who was able to hit from the outside consistently, and Wiltjer was 1-6. I'd say overall it was a poor night shooting, yet the Zags managed to shoot 53% from the field. They outrebounded UNA by 20. We were killing them on the Offensive boards.

I certainly saw nothing to be worried about. Our turnovers are not good, but are expected this early in the season. Our starting guards were not affective at all in scoring, and shot poorly. I was very unimpressed with Perkins' shooting, and EMac was certainly unimpressive as well. Fortunately we have some really good Big guys. Saboinis and Wiltjer will be very very hard to defend this year. Karnowski is good, but this year he's going to take the back seat to Sabonis I believe. Sabonis is just too good. Oh! And he only (Sabonis) only played 19 minutes.

Worry if you want to, but I'm okay with all the mistakes. At least they are playing hard, and pushing the ball upcourt. They are NOT trying to play slow down so they will make fewer mistakes. Few seems content to have them play Gonzaga basketball for now. We'll see if things change in the tournament next week.

Baseline
11-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Sabonis was good last year, but if his play tonight is indicative of his play this year we saw the launching of a new national star. I say that with much reservation as the competition was lacking. still, the outside shot and the drives to the basket portends great things.

KW had a bad night and still did good.

PK is a worry for me, but he has started slow every year. I'm not concerned as I fully expect him to come around. i was surprised that Edwards did not see more floor time in light of PK's play and the score. I thought Edwards did great in the little time he played.

I thought Perkins looked good, just young mistakes, he will be a star.

Melson played hard and looked good except for the ball not going in. He played hard and worked hard, if his shots start falling and gets confidence he could be a force.

Albert's shooting was promising.

I think when the upcoming tournament is over we will have a lot of answers and a lot of things will look different.

My only negative was the defense, it looked bad early on, but improved, so I have hope.

Hoopaholic
11-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Sabonis was good last year, but if his play tonight is indicative of his play this year we saw the launching of a new national star. I say that with much reservation as the competition was lacking. still, the outside shot and the drives to the basket portends great things.

KW had a bad night and still did good.

PK is a worry for me, but he has started slow every year. I'm not concerned as I fully expect him to come around. i was surprised that Edwards did not see more floor time in light of PK's play and the score. I thought Edwards did great in the little time he played.

I thought Perkins looked good, just young mistakes, he will be a star.

Melson played hard and looked good except for the ball not going in. He played hard and worked hard, if his shots start falling and gets confidence he could be a force.

Albert's shooting was promising.

I think when the upcoming tournament is over we will have a lot of answers and a lot of things will look different.

My only negative was the defense, it looked bad early on, but improved, so I have hope.

not sure why you thought PK creates worry for you......he shot 60% from the floor, 60% from the free throw line and 9 rebounds (TEAM LEADER)and 9 points, almost a double doublewith 2 assists.......the area he needed to clean up was turnovers

but I didnt see anything to worry about with his play.....other than his obvious frustration with his teammates several times when he had man sealed calling for ball and was not given it....one time he eventhru hands up in disgust when McLellan looked right at him and passed it to top of key.........

3XaZag
11-18-2015, 09:45 PM
I only saw the second half. I noticed that the guards were feeding Sabonis more than PK. PK often was working down low, and a number of times was in a good position for a feed but the ball swung around the perimeter instead of coming into him. They need to work to feed the beast.

Zagsker
11-18-2015, 09:56 PM
I was very impressed with defense...specifically the lack of (and I don't actually recall any) hand checking calls. With that being an extreme point of emphasis thus year for refs, I think ou r guys did a tremendous job of moving their feet and not snagging with their hands

Baseline
11-18-2015, 10:02 PM
not sure why you thought PK creates worry for you......he shot 60% from the floor, 60% from the free throw line and 9 rebounds (TEAM LEADER)and 9 points, almost a double doublewith 2 assists.......the area he needed to clean up was turnovers

but I didnt see anything to worry about with his play.....other than his obvious frustration with his teammates several times when he had man sealed calling for ball and was not given it....one time he eventhru hands up in disgust when McLellan looked right at him and passed it to top of key.........

You make a good point with his stats (PK). I am probably being too harsh, but I was expecting more. He played Gasol and others very well, so I thought against lesser opponents he would totally dominate. its early and I'm making snap judgements.

bballbeachbum
11-18-2015, 10:39 PM
Perkins shifty quick, under control for so quick, slips screens on d, aware. like him a lot! he's good
if an opponent can matchup on the blocks I'd bet they gameplan to stop Perkins first to stop the post
Hoopaholic, my man, or anybody, is that crazy talk with that Zag front line?

MickMick
11-19-2015, 02:49 AM

Taking the ball from PK is like taking candy from a baby. That is why he is worrisome.

Zagger
11-19-2015, 03:48 AM
Really liked seeing Drano start & Dontmiss on the bench - seemed to work quite well for both players :)
NAU did clog up the paint but all that passing around the perimeter seemed a bit too much, too sudden with a player not looking for and/or positioning themselves for a pass inside. Turnovers were a bit ugly but .... 91 pts were sure pretty. Got to the Kennel @ 4:30 to watch Zags shoot. Main thing I noticed was how well Alberts hit 3s and how well MtK hit free throws. Karnowski's FT shooting is looking very well :)
Loved Melson's steals :)

jazzdelmar
11-19-2015, 04:03 AM
DD slipped in that when pro scouts come to practice or games they are really looking at DS. When H pressed him about lottery, DD wisely demurred and said simply first round. TOs by Josh are worrying and to say they don't in such a meaningless game is missing the point that he has some bad habits that will be hard to tame. Karno was terrible save for passing. Give me more Alberts.

Bogozags
11-19-2015, 05:41 AM
DD slipped in that when pro scouts come to practice or games they are really looking at DS. When H pressed him about lottery, DD wisely demurred and said simply first round. TOs by Josh are worrying and to say they don't in such a meaningless game is missing the point that he has some bad habits that will be hard to tame. Karno was terrible save for passing. Give me more Alberts.

DD was pretty specific 1st RD but not Lottery.

He is so very talented making some really nice passes inside too! Yes, those six TO's do worry me. When we play UDUB, their athletes are pretty darn good for freshman...let's hope he will improve each game he plays. I hope PK will find a way to keep the ball up so that guards won't steel it from him...happened twice BUT he made two very nice right handed shots, which shows he has worked the right side during the summer. Also, he has such a nice touch from the field and hope it helps him from the line.

Our back court has to find a way to keep opposing guards from getting into the lane and to the basket like Yanku was doing all night long. That was one of our weak points from the Duke game last year, where we couldn't contain their guards off the picks their front court set. Not sure how to remedy this issue but liked the way KD played defence fighting around those screen and was able to keep his man in front of him.

DS and KD also had fine games...DS 12 for 13 playing 1/2 the game and KD playing 3/4 of the game w/o any TO's and 5 assists...Alberts, if he continues to shoot as well as he did tonight, will be getting more P/T then was thought of before the season...

Overall, we played a decent first game of the season and look for improvement Saturday...

MTZag03
11-19-2015, 06:18 AM
I wasn't too impressed with the 3 bigs in together late in the game. Interestingly I thought that they did okay defensively with the 2-3 zone. Offensively they looked lost. Spacing didn't seem to work and no identity to the offense.

bartruff1
11-19-2015, 06:32 AM
IMHO, the guards and the future guards will always be compared to Pangos and Bell, they are the standard. These have a long way to go to measure up...but...they have a long way to go....so....maybe...

Don't like turnovers especially caused by flashy passes.....like Dan said, you put the butter on the toast before the jam...

TexasZagFan
11-19-2015, 08:28 AM
DD was pretty specific 1st RD but not Lottery.

He is so very talented making some really nice passes inside too! Yes, those six TO's do worry me. When we play UDUB, their athletes are pretty darn good for freshman...let's hope he will improve each game he plays. I hope PK will find a way to keep the ball up so that guards won't steel it from him...happened twice BUT he made two very nice right handed shots, which shows he has worked the right side during the summer. Also, he has such a nice touch from the field and hope it helps him from the line.

Our back court has to find a way to keep opposing guards from getting into the lane and to the basket like Yanku was doing all night long. That was one of our weak points from the Duke game last year, where we couldn't contain their guards off the picks their front court set. Not sure how to remedy this issue but liked the way KD played defence fighting around those screen and was able to keep his man in front of him.

DS and KD also had fine games...DS 12 for 13 playing 1/2 the game and KD playing 3/4 of the game w/o any TO's and 5 assists...Alberts, if he continues to shoot as well as he did tonight, will be getting more P/T then was thought of before the season...

Overall, we played a decent first game of the season and look for improvement Saturday...

There may be two Zags on the Celtics next year, courtesy of the Dallas Mavericks. Next year's #1 is protected through the 7th pick. Beyond that, Boston gets it.

seacatfan
11-19-2015, 09:55 AM
I wasn't too impressed with the 3 bigs in together late in the game. Interestingly I thought that they did okay defensively with the 2-3 zone. Offensively they looked lost. Spacing didn't seem to work and no identity to the offense.

I thought the same thing. I hope the Big 3 don't start another game this year. If they want to play around with it in the 2nd half of blowouts, I guess that can't hurt. But any 2 of the bigs together on the floor are devastating, with all 3 it just stops working.

The zone D looked fine. Can't for the life of me figure out why Few tried to go man-to-man previously with the Big 3.

Worthington
11-19-2015, 10:12 AM
My biggest takeaway is that we're no where near being a top 10 team right now. Not even a top 25 team at this stage. The guards have a lot of work to do, but luckily there's a lot of room for improvement. It was painful watching them not be able to make the entry pass to the post (especially in the first half). When you've got the best front court in the nation, getting them involved has to be priority number 1.

Sabonis is fantastic. I don't have a problem with Karnowski starting, but Sabonis should play just as much as him if not more.

Wiltjer had somewhat of an 'off' game, but still did his thing. He was 1-6 from behind the arc, but still finished shooting above 50% from the field. He needs to be getting a touch on the block almost every time down because he is just such an efficient scorer in the post. Witljer in the post should be one of our primary weapons this season.

Karnowski still looks like he's getting over the after effects of pneumonia. I hope, and think, that he is a lot better than what he has shown in terms of finishing strong and not turning the ball over. He had some good moments, but it's just so painful for me to see him get stripped and blocked by smaller defenders over and over...

Dranginis needs to get more aggressive. He seems way too content to be a non scorer when he's on the floor. He's got all the ability to put up close to 10 points a night. As always he did a lot of the little things on the court, I'd just love to see him play with more confidence.

McClellan did not look good last night. I've been on board the McClellan hype train since the off season, but I'm starting to have some questions. In our offense it is so important to have shooters all around spacing the floor, and he is just so sub par from distance that it makes me wonder if all his strengths can make up for that big weakness. I think he would be a lot more effective with the ball in his hands, but with Perkins that's kind of redundant. With his lack of 3 point shooting he just isn't the best option for playing off the ball on the offensive end. That being said, his defense on big, athletic guards against certain teams could be a life saver this season. From what I've seen so far, I would almost advocate for a situational starting lineup where Melson and McClellan are interchangeable.

Perkins showed flashes, but overall didn't play very well. Too many turnovers, most coming from sloppiness that should tightened up as the season goes on. Biggest concern with his play is how passive he is on offense. Doesn't pick his spots very well at this point, needs to be more assertive in hunting his own shots. He's uber talented and we simply need him to be more of a threat to score. Also for all his passing ability, he has lots of room to improve on making the post entry pass.

Melson, despite not setting the world on fire, continues to impress me more and more each time I see him play. He plays so much more in flow with the offense than he did last year. He's a better and more willing passer, but still not afraid to take the shot. His outside shooting hasn't clicked yet, but he's had so many shots go in and out. I feel like any game now he's just going to start torching the nets. With all three of Perkins, McClellan and Dranginis being unwilling shooters from outside, and guys that haven't been aggressive enough on offense, I would like to see Few give Melson a longer leash and experiment with him in the starting lineup. We need more fire power from the back court than what we're getting now, plain and simple.

THANK YOU BRYAN ALBERTS! Our outside shooting has been so worrisome this year, it's a huge relief to know there's outside one guard that can come in and be a reliable threat from distance. That skill will make him such a valuable contributor all season long. I wasn't sure what to expect from him, but he's exceeded my expectations so far. If he can come in, hit shots and play smart he will find minutes.

TexasZagFan
11-19-2015, 10:22 AM
Melson keeps playing like last night, there won't be any leash on him come January. He was put in a tough spot last year, and I think it was a good experience for him. Most of it wasn't pleasant, I'm sure, but he survived. He looked very comfortable out there last night, and I'm happy for him.

Zagnificent
11-19-2015, 10:23 AM
My biggest takeaway is that we're no where near being a top 10 team right now. Not even a top 25 team at this stage. The guards have a lot of work to do, but luckily there's a lot of room for improvement. It was painful watching them not be able to make the entry pass to the post (especially in the first half). When you've got the best front court in the nation, getting them involved has to be priority number 1.

I think you're seriously over-estimating the quality of other Top 25 teams. Half of the other ranked teams are just as rusty or inexperienced. At this stage of the season, everyone is ranked based on personnel and potential. The Zags front court alone is enough to have them in the Top 20. Given how much floor time they're getting, they'll learn at a pretty quick rate, I trust. You can't deny how impressive Sabonis and Wiltjer were last night. Put those two on Pacific and they'd probably crack the Top 25. Like the NAU coach said, they're NBA players playing in the WCC. Heck, even LSU with just Simmons is a Top 25 team.

Zagceo
11-19-2015, 10:25 AM
Like a newborn.

Lots of potential gotta crawl before walking.

Running is what I expect in Feb & March.

Worthington
11-19-2015, 10:37 AM
I think you're seriously over-estimating the quality of other Top 25 teams. Half of the other ranked teams are just as rusty or inexperienced. At this stage of the season, everyone is ranked based on personnel and potential. The Zags front court alone is enough to have them in the Top 20. Given how much floor time they're getting, they'll learn at a pretty quick rate, I trust. You can't deny how impressive Sabonis and Wiltjer were last night. Put those two on Pacific and they'd probably crack the Top 25. Like the NAU coach said, they're NBA players playing in the WCC. Heck, even LSU with just Simmons is a Top 25 team.

Yeah you could be right. Our back court is just no where near that quality right now, they would get torched by experienced guards. And if they're outmatched and can't get the bigs involved like we would like, then we could be in big trouble against a good team. We were down to Pitt at half time (I know, I know, it's hard to take away much from that game cause of the floor) and they're not a top 25 team.

Side note, but LSU has much more talent than just Simmons. Blakeney is a McDonalds All-American, and future first rounder who's leading their team in scoring so far. Tim Quartermann is just outside of the first round in DraftExpress's mock draft. Keith Hornsby is a senior who averaged 13 a game last year. Their front court is a bit weak, but they're a very talented team.

Robzagnut
11-19-2015, 11:12 AM
There may be two Zags on the Celtics next year, courtesy of the Dallas Mavericks. Next year's #1 is protected through the 7th pick. Beyond that, Boston gets it.

They have three #1 picks next year.

* Their own - probably 16+ if they make the playoffs.
* Nets unprotected - could be 1-5.
* Mavericks protected 1-7.

They also have option to switch picks with the Nets in 2017 and the Nets #1 pick (unprotected) in 2018. All courtesy of the Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett trade. Danny Ainge is quite a GM.

TexasZagFan
11-19-2015, 11:31 AM
They have three #1 picks next year.

* Their own - probably 16+ if they make the playoffs.
* Nets unprotected - could be 1-5.
* Mavericks protected 1-7.

They also have option to switch picks with the Nets in 2017 and the Nets #1 pick (unprotected) in 2018. All courtesy of the Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett trade. Danny Ainge is quite a GM.

Kelly should have stayed a Maverick. There is much he could have learned as Dirk's understudy. Alas, Dallas doesn't draft well or develop their younger players. They got lucky with Dirk, and not much else since then in the draft.

seacatfan
11-19-2015, 11:55 AM

Nets GM was a sucker. Mortgaged the future for aging stars that were past their prime, didn't pay off at all. Pierce and Garnett are both with different teams now and Nets gave away a bunch of draft picks. Brilliant.