PDA

View Full Version : 17 Turnovers...

Sarenyon
11-18-2015, 07:38 PM
to 18 assists. Team can be great, but the guards and even the bigs need to tighten up the handles. Still growing and getting a feel for it. Hope it comes together before Atlantis.

VinnyZag
11-18-2015, 07:50 PM
Nine of them by the frontcourt. Perkins had six, though. I think it's just gonna take some time for the game to slow down for him. Spectacular passer, though.

Ekrub
11-18-2015, 07:59 PM
6 from perkins is okay by me. Don't neuter that kid. He will figure it out.

ProjectMKUltra5
11-18-2015, 08:22 PM

This.

Vanzagger
11-18-2015, 09:00 PM
And just in case you missed it, Pangos and Bell are no longer on the team. Listening to Dickau tonight I had to keep double checking the score to make sure it wasn't NAU up by 40 with ten to play.

Hoopaholic
11-18-2015, 09:03 PM

6 turnovers by a starting guard is not acceptable, especially against sub par competition. It is an area that needs improvement on and will cost us games if continues as a routine

not neutering anyone, making notice of a serious deficiency that needs to be cleaned up..........

11 or 12 turnovers by the starters is not acceptable either and needs to be improved upon

Zagceo
11-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Nine of them by the frontcourt. Perkins had six, though. I think it's just gonna take some time for the game to slow down for him. Spectacular passer, though.

Agree.....game will slow down for him with experience

Vanzagger
11-18-2015, 09:39 PM
Talk to UCLA and Virginia about sub par competition.

All our guards have major game. It's not always gonna look pretty. We will not win every game. If this broadcast team doesn't cool it on the nitpicking of our new back court I'm finding an old radio and using mute button.

Zagsker
11-18-2015, 10:57 PM
And just in case you missed it, Pangos and Bell are no longer on the team. Listening to Dickau tonight I had to keep double checking the score to make sure it wasn't NAU up by 40 with ten to play.

Really like Fox...the guy has relevant comments as opposed to other guys who have comments to make themselves relevant

zagfan24
11-19-2015, 03:07 AM
Turnovers will definitely be a problem moving forward. Some of it is to be expected, especially early, when you go from a 4-year starting senior to a redshirt freshman at PG. Not all turnovers are necessarily created equal...I'm a lot less nervous about turnovers caused by poor post entry passes which is making a mistake on something that needs to happen than caused by out of control drives into the lane which are just unforced and unnecessary turnovers. Being overcautious and missing open guys/good scoring opportunities is also detrimental...will just take some time to find that balance.

john montana
11-19-2015, 06:40 AM
I love Perkins, but he has a tendency to want to make the "look at me" play. Hopefully he keeps his swagger but manages to lose some of the TO's.

Defensively, I thought we overrated and chased a few picks too far. Need to clean up our pick and roll defense.

Sabonis...wow.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-19-2015, 06:58 AM
Perkins is learning the speed of the game and what he can get away with vs. what he can't. 2 or 3 of the turnovers were from going too fast and being aggressive. I have no problem with that, especially in a game we weren't going to lose.

We're going from the most experienced backcourt possible to a fairly inexperienced one. I think we as a fanbase are overreacting to everything the guards do.

On the ESPN broadcast vs. Pitt, Josh made a bad pass in transition and the announcers said "Pangos/Bell would never have done that" and Zags Twitter agreed. Pangos literally did the exact same thing on a very similar play at least once in a game last season, his senior year... lol. Pangos and Bell made plenty of mistakes, and we won, Josh will make plenty of mistakes, and we will win.

Pundits and fans alike are over-analyzing. Before we even played a game we heard a lot of "Perkins needs to develop into a scorer blah blah blah" from the press and fans. He hadn't even played one game and people are all over his shortcomings and how he needs to improve... it's ridiculous in every sense. Let 'em play.

CDC84
11-19-2015, 08:30 AM
Perkins is learning the speed of the game and what he can get away with vs. what he can't. 2 or 3 of the turnovers were from going too fast and being aggressive. I have no problem with that, especially in a game we weren't going to lose.

I would say about 4 of his 6 TO's would've been "weeded out of him" if he had played behind Kevin last year. The fan base is just going to have to live with it for now, as is the coaching staff. It also doesn't help that he lacks a clear back up in the rotation.

It's too bad he wasn't able to play last season. I still expect him to get better and better as the year goes on.

maynard g krebs
11-19-2015, 02:56 PM

We're going from the most experienced backcourt possible to a fairly inexperienced one. I think we as a fanbase are overreacting to everything the guards do.

On the ESPN broadcast vs. Pitt, Josh made a bad pass in transition and the announcers said "Pangos/Bell would never have done that" and Zags Twitter agreed. Pangos literally did the exact same thing on a very similar play at least once in a game last season, his senior year... lol. Pangos and Bell made plenty of mistakes, and we won, Josh will make plenty of mistakes, and we will win.

Pundits and fans alike are over-analyzing. Before we even played a game we heard a lot of "Perkins needs to develop into a scorer blah blah blah" from the press and fans. He hadn't even played one game and people are all over his shortcomings and how he needs to improve... it's ridiculous in every sense. Let 'em play.

Agree with just about all of that, except that in looking through the top 100 players in assists last year, I'm pretty sure Pangos had the best a/to ratio at 5.0/1.4. I don't expect Perkins to ever have that good a ratio because he pushes the envelope more. The flipside is that his play will lead to more easy baskets. The key to the big margin last night was the combined 69.7 fg% of the big 3 last night, and that includes Wiltjer's 1/6 from 3.

I'm not worried about Perkins getting some bad turnovers early in the season for the reasons CDC gave. In time he'll cut that in half, which will be fine.