PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Dranginis needs to start

HenneZag
11-14-2015, 07:16 AM
I know it is early, but to me it seems obvious that KD needs to start at the 3. I have seen enough of the big 3 lineup to this point. It's a great idea to have all 3 playing at the same time but I feel one cancels out the other and ball movement is not as fluid. When Dranginis enters the game I personally feel a sense of relief; the ball movement is much better and it opens up many more opportunities to our post players such as Sabonis which we saw yesterday with a couple of pick n rolls. I know KD is not the potent scorer than some want, but he has the ability to take his offense game to another level and I hope we see that this year because we need him.

Don't get me wrong, their will be times where playing the big 3 will work great, but against athletic and physical teams it won't be as successful, and it will potentially put our bigs in foul trouble because they have to chase and hack to gain a step on quicker guys.

As far as the 2 spot it is up in the air for me. EM seems like the safe choice, but if Melson can turn on the confidence and prove to provide the offense we are all waiting for, then it will be hard to keep him on the bench. I know this isn't a new development, just want to know what thoughts some other folks have. The young guards will have to play through some tough games but that's part of the growing process and I hope Few let's this happen. We have been spoiled the last few years with Pangos and Bell, it's going to take some growing pains before we see a stable backcourt.

BULLDOG#1
11-14-2015, 07:18 AM
Yes, KD needs to start.

bartruff1
11-14-2015, 07:29 AM
I am no coach, but I think KD needs to play more minutes, regardless who starts.

ZagsObserver
11-14-2015, 07:31 AM
Beyond this, which is probably the right call, Gonzaga must get a shooting guard to step up. And this guard must be able to shoot to spread the defense. Melson has the most potential in this role

Mr Vulture
11-14-2015, 09:16 AM
I didn't like the idea of the big three lineup during the offseason and I don't like it now. I agree that they need a guy on the wing that is more athletic defensively.

zag67
11-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Melson shot those nice floaters. I also think that they will work it out and EMC and Alberts will show that they also belong. That court was hard for them to show what they can do. Also I think that the three bigs should not start, but be used later in the games (if at all). Getting them in foul trouble is the last thing we want. Also Dranginis did a great job on showing how to run the pick and roll. Also they found Sabonis and did a great job of ball movement to get a passing lane to him.

Zagricultural
11-14-2015, 10:09 AM
My thoughts. Start Karno, Wilt, KD, E-Mac, and Perk. Sabonis and Melson bringing the fire in off the bench.

Zagger
11-14-2015, 11:16 AM
My thoughts. Start Karno, Wilt, KD, E-Mac, and Perk. Sabonis and Melson bringing the fire in off the bench.
I like it :)

Mantua
11-14-2015, 11:42 AM
I didn't like the idea of the big three lineup during the offseason and I don't like it now. I agree that they need a guy on the wing that is more athletic defensively.

This.

gonzagafan62
11-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Yes I've been saying this since March

cggonzaga
11-14-2015, 11:54 AM
While I like the idea of Dran starting at the 3, the people already disregarding EMac at the 2 are wrong. Emac was hurt by that floor more than anybody in the game because he wasn't able to use his speed and quickness. Give him a chance folks. I've heard all offseason he was our best guard and saw him play at Kraziness and the exhibition where he looked really good.

zag67
11-14-2015, 11:59 AM
I will agree with many of you that a 2 big team feels better for flow. I do not care whether Dranginis starts or comes off the bench and Melson starts along side of Perkins and Eric. I think that having Dranginis and Eric on the court when you need to rest Perkins will leave us with a more solid passing team. But if Dranginis starts that also might help the bigs get off to a better start also. He seems to be able to pass to the bigs on a pick and roll very smoothly

primal23
11-14-2015, 12:58 PM
Wiltjer did well yesterday because he plants and shoots like a "set shot". Everything else is pretty worthless........Dranginis understands the offense very well after 4 years in the program. He's smart and knows where the bigs are supposed to be. He did well too.\
With the conditions though, our guys just looked out of sorts. Forget Pittsburgh's performance . Neither team looked like they should. Considering the floor shifting all the time, I don't know how anyone can draw conclusions except that wet floors are ridiculous to play on.

This exactly, rewatched the half, and everyone was overthinking and hesitant because of worrying about whether they could stop or not. Luckily the only injury didn't turn out to be too bad.

maynard g krebs
11-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Agree w/ the OP. My starting lineup before the season was Perkins, EM, KD, KW, PK. If it turns out to be a Winston Brooks/Meech situation w/ EM, so defenders lay off him and double the posts and dare him to shoot open jumpers, then Melson needs to start. EM did make 3 of 8 3's last year, so I was hoping that small sample would mean he'd improved enough in that area to keep D's honest.

IMO the main thing is spacing and ball movement and creating angles and room for the bigs to work inside, and the ability to enter the ball to the posts which, as others have noted, is a strength of KD. And I've believed all along that as to the bigs, most of the time three's a crowd in the post.

I thought it was a no-brainer that he'd start this year as a 5th yr sr.

Baseline
11-14-2015, 08:39 PM
I would start Sabonis at the five with KD at the 3 and KW at the 4. Who starts at the 2 should be whomever starts hitting the 3 pointers, we desperately need someone beside KW to step up.

gonzagafan62
11-14-2015, 08:44 PM
While I like the idea of Dran starting at the 3, the people already disregarding EMac at the 2 are wrong. Emac was hurt by that floor more than anybody in the game because he wasn't able to use his speed and quickness. Give him a chance folks. I've heard all offseason he was our best guard and saw him play at Kraziness and the exhibition where he looked really good.

Yes. Now I've also stated play Melson as a starter since March too, but seeing eMac in that exhibition and hearing the Baylor game changed my mind.

Reborn
11-15-2015, 08:21 AM
I haven't even seen the Zags play yet, and it's also too early in the season for me to even have an opinion about any kind of starting lineup. I have not liked the idea of the 3 bigs starting together but, as I've said, I haven't seen them play yet, not even in practice. I'm sure Few knows what he's doing.

Regarding Kyle, I really like him. In the end I believe he will start and play lots of minutes. This is his year. I'm very confident in him. I'm also very confident in Perkins. He just needs to play more and develop. It's going to be a real battle between EMac and Melson to see who starts at the two. The competition between the two will only make them better.

jazzdelmar
11-15-2015, 08:36 AM
I would start Sabonis at the five with KD at the 3 and KW at the 4. Who starts at the 2 should be whomever starts hitting the 3 pointers, we desperately need someone beside KW to step up.

Indeed. The 800 pound gorilla is that DS is our best post player and that Karno tends to slow the O down. The best lineup in the thing vs Pitt was KW and four smalls. Karno not starting is anathema but your lineup is better. We will have a lot of empty trips this year trying to get Karno off. And almost as many missed layups.

raise the zag
11-15-2015, 08:45 AM
Indeed. The 800 pound gorilla is that DS is our best post player and that Karno tends to slow the O down. The best lineup in the thing vs Pitt was KW and four smalls. Karno not starting is anathema but your lineup is better. We will have a lot of empty trips this year trying to get Karno off. And almost as many missed layups.

the 4 guards/forwards and Kyle Wiltjer worked remarkably well in the exhibition game as well, so much so, Coach Few eluded to this lineup in post-game interviews.

Jay Bilas said the same as well.

Interesting.

Versatility will be paramount this season.

jazzdelmar
11-15-2015, 08:52 AM
the 4 guards/forwards and Kyle Wiltjer worked remarkably well in the exhibition game as well, so much so, Coach Few eluded to this lineup in post-game interviews.

Jay Bilas said the same as well.

Interesting.

Versatility will be paramount this season.

Raise. No way Karno doesn't start or get max minutes if not in foul trouble . Baked in the bread. Unfortunately.

NotoriousZ
11-15-2015, 09:13 AM
I also think Draino at the 3 is much better. After going through the other threads about the Big Three problems, the wet floor was brought up a few times as a reason to disregard what we saw. But wouldn't we get torched even more by smaller, faster bigs on a dry court?

I understand Few is just trying it out, and in the end he'll go with what works.

NumberCruncher
11-15-2015, 10:34 AM

Over the course of last season, the offense played quicker with Wiltjer/Karno than with Wiltjer/Sabonis. Karno/Sabonis slowed the offense the most.

Offensive efficiency was slightly better with Wiltjer/Sabonis. Defensive efficiency was better with Wiltjer/Karno.

Net efficiency was slightly better with Wiltjer/Karno.

TexasZagFan
11-15-2015, 11:06 AM
Yes I've been saying this since March

Prove it!!!

:jk: