PDA

View Full Version : Class all around

jazzdelmar
11-13-2015, 05:19 PM
Classy move by the refs and by the coaches and players of two great programs handling the disappointment by filing into the stands to thank them for their service. A better ending than imaginable even under ordinary circumstances.

Sarenyon
11-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Agree, both Dixon and Few stepped up and thanked the Marines. Did a good job. Glad the players got to have this experience. Too bad about the gym floor though.

Zag_Dad
11-13-2015, 05:46 PM
in the end, I'm happy they called the game. Whether GU won or lost there would always have been the issue surrounding the condition of the court. Both teams would say "we weren't able to (.....) because of the floor" or, "we would have won the game if it weren't for ....". Bottom line, the players got out of there without any serious injuries. Gonzaga has a lot to learn before they can reach their potential. This was a great opportunity to do that. Hopefully GU Doesn't get tagged with a "L" for a game that ended at half time.

zagfan24
11-13-2015, 05:47 PM
Both coach announcements were 100% pure class. Apologized and praised the brave men and women in attendance. That's turning a lemon into lemonade.

Zagceo
11-13-2015, 05:53 PM
Agree.

It is what it is.

They did what they had to do. Protect players.

Mark & Jamie talking in the end after it was called put a smile on my face.

I'm thinking Jamie's saying......We won don't give me this .....but we only played 20 min argument. ;-D

jazzdelmar
11-13-2015, 05:56 PM
Agree.

It is what it is.

They did what they had to do. Protect players.

Mark & Jamie talking in the end after it was called put a smile on my face.

I'm thinking Jamie's saying......We won don't give me this .....but we only played 20 min argument. ;-D

Only classier ending would have been a free throw shooting contest between the coaches. Now that would have won an ESPY.

Zagceo
11-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Only classier ending would have been a free throw shooting contest between the coaches. Now that would have won an ESPY.

Is it to late?

zagamatic
11-13-2015, 06:07 PM
I want to make it clear that I'm a huge fan of these armed forces games. That being said, slippery floors seem to be a common problem with them. Either the organizers need to solve this problem, or the series needs to be discontinued. I really hope that they get it figured out because it's a huge experience for the teams and the military personnel

DixieZag
11-13-2015, 06:12 PM
I was very impressed that the refs had the fortitude to do it. They had to feel some serious pressure to try it, telling themselves they'd get stuff dried off every 2 minutes, all that, b/c they know how much money was spent and the number of eyeballs the game drew as a showcase - and yet they did what they had to do in order to protect the players as the first priority. In big money college sports, we often have cause to wonder if it is the players that matter least in the mult-billion dollar industry, that was cool.

The contract event organizer should have a lot to answer for. It's not like anyone could be surprised that a floor would get very slick, they should have had a better plan focused on that exact issue, testing it out in the day before, all that.

GU69
11-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Disappointing, but clearly the correct decision. Congratulations to the refs for doing what was right.

U Zig, I Zag
11-13-2015, 06:20 PM
You had two issues here:

Kids slipping and getting concussed and then being stuck there for a bit.
Kids doing some major damage, MCL, ankle, broken wrist.

All things that can happen regularly, but you were gonna see one of them for sure in this game if it kept going.

Sucky that it had to end, but it is what it is. Perhaps we can schedule another game late in the year?

Once and Future Zag
11-13-2015, 06:22 PM
Maybe they can reschedule to some US base for a "take 2"

BULLDOG#1
11-13-2015, 07:18 PM
Point is that the teams and coaches represented very well. Dixon seems to be a class act.
For Few and the boys... well, I'm just happy to be a fan. What a class act and program.
Lemonade from lemons indeed.

I'm thinking the Calapari's of the world would have said the same words, but somehow would come across as contrived.
Few and Dixon both spoke from their hearts and you could tell. I'm now a Pitt and Dixon fan - hope they have a great season.

thespywhozaggedme
11-13-2015, 08:55 PM
Wish some of our posters had as much class as the coaches

Nevada Don
11-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Both coach announcements were 100% pure class. Apologized and praised the brave men and women in attendance. That's turning a lemon into lemonade.

Been to Okinawa many times for business. I know the Zags coming to Okinawa was very much appreciated.
Very classy ending by the teams. Both teams got the win in the big picture.

Bogozags
11-15-2015, 10:50 AM
I want to make it clear that I'm a huge fan of these armed forces games. That being said, slippery floors seem to be a common problem with them. Either the organizers need to solve this problem, or the series needs to be discontinued. I really hope that they get it figured out because it's a huge experience for the teams and the military personnel

The floor issue is the same as it has been since those gyms in Okinawa, Taiwan (when we had Army/Air Force Bases there) and the Philippines were built. None of the Military Gyms have air conditioning except the one at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait; subsequently, humidity and slippery floors will continue to be an issue. Even the first game between UNC vs MSU on the flight deck aboard the aircraft carrier in San Diego, there were moisture issues on that court.

The concept of playing on military bases is a wonderful one; however, the military isn't going to outfit their gyms with AC because of the expense. Organizers will have to do a better job of picking their locations much more carefully, because Okinawa's issues are now on the "front page" so Coaches are going to leery of playing under those conditions.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-16-2015, 09:30 AM
The floor issue is the same as it has been since those gyms in Okinawa, Taiwan (when we had Army/Air Force Bases there) and the Philippines were built. None of the Military Gyms have air conditioning except the one at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait; subsequently, humidity and slippery floors will continue to be an issue. Even the first game between UNC vs MSU on the flight deck aboard the aircraft carrier in San Diego, there were moisture issues on that court.

The concept of playing on military bases is a wonderful one; however, the military isn't going to outfit their gyms with AC because of the expense. Organizers will have to do a better job of picking their locations much more carefully, because Okinawa's issues are now on the "front page" so Coaches are going to leery of playing under those conditions.

Just stop having these games in places that aren't built to house a dry basketball court. The aircraft carrier idea was ludicrous. Even if the game is played safely, there's always the "but that game was played on an aircraft carrier..." or, like we would've had with a complete game Friday "well, that game was played in a very humid 90 degree gym with a wet floor..."

Stop it. Just play in normal basketball gyms and bring in military personnel.

I don't see anything wrong with having teams play games as normal in normal locations, then pick a game on the schedule to be the military appreciation game and give them really good seats.

For instance: GU vs Pitt in the Spokane Arena, with several of the best sections reserved for military personnel from Fairchild (or anywhere, if they're in town). Eliminates ridiculous travel, players can still go out there for a day or two or whatever to meet some military folks and check out some of their gear... and we will know that the game WILL be played and the court will be no less safe than a normal NCAA game. I don't see how playing these games all over the world in venues not fit for a hardwood court shows any more appreciation than playing stateside with military personnel in the house at a normal gym.