PDA

View Full Version : At what point do you call the game?

adoptedzag
11-13-2015, 04:38 PM
The amount of moisture on the floor of this game got me to thinking:

At what point do you call off the game or move venues for safety reasons? I don't care if we win or lose this game, I just want to make it out of this game without a blown acl or torn groin.

TexasZagFan
11-13-2015, 04:51 PM
The amount of moisture on the floor of this game got me to thinking:

At what point do you call off the game or move venues for safety reasons? I don't care if we win or lose this game, I just want to make it out of this game without a blown acl or torn groin.

Just said the same thing to my son. It's too dangerous out there.

RenoZag
11-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Very scary. I wonder if the officials have the cajones to call it off ?

zagfan24
11-13-2015, 05:04 PM
Just keeping my fingers crossed. I imagine it's a bit up to Few and Dixon. I love the spirit of this event and it's been great fun to watch, but would really hate to see anybody miss significant time as a result of this floor.

basketballzag
11-13-2015, 05:08 PM
Just keeping my fingers crossed. I imagine it's a bit up to Few and Dixon. I love the spirit of this event and it's been great fun to watch, but would really hate to see anybody miss significant time as a result of this floor.

It is also neutralizing our speed on the perimeter. Going to have to slow this game down significantly.

zagfan24
11-13-2015, 05:11 PM
Game has been called. Mixed feelings, but really glad nobody was severely hurt.

zagsfanforlife
11-13-2015, 05:11 PM
It is also neutralizing our speed on the perimeter. Going to have to slow this game down significantly.

Game is called. Is that our first loss?

KStyles
11-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Game is called. Is that our first loss?

It's just a cancelled game.

zagsfanforlife
11-13-2015, 05:12 PM
are we 100% sure?

basketballzag
11-13-2015, 05:14 PM
are we 100% sure?

Yes its just a cancelled game.

KStyles
11-13-2015, 05:15 PM
are we 100% sure?

When Florida-Georgetown was cancelled in 2012 due to condensation on the court, it was declared a no contest.

I'd assume the same here.

billyberu
11-13-2015, 05:16 PM
Okinawa humidity wins.

raise the zag
11-13-2015, 05:16 PM
Invest in A/C.

Sheesh.

Understand the call, but dumb...

seacatfan
11-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Like I said in the game thread, they've either gotta play these games in real gyms, or just cancel the Armed Forces game. Totally unfair to the teams involved to play on unsafe courts.

Mantua
11-13-2015, 05:21 PM
ESPN SNAFU.

raise the zag
11-13-2015, 05:22 PM
Like I said in the game thread, they've either gotta play these games in real gyms, or just cancel the Armed Forces game. Totally unfair to the teams involved to play on unsafe courts.

+ infinity

pretty deflated and frustrated right now. Not as a Zag fan, but as a result for the fans in attendance, the players, and outcome.

all that build-up, no delivery….

I think we would have responded in the 2nd half with our post game, while Pitt feels they won the game with the lead.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-13-2015, 05:23 PM
Invest in A/C.

Sheesh.

Understand the call, but dumb...

It never ceased to amaze me how poor some military facilities are in light of the seemingly infinite Pentagon budget.

uZiGiZaG
11-13-2015, 05:24 PM
So do we end with a L? Or since the 2nd half didn't start does it just not count period?

We were probably fortunate.. Don't think we were going to win. Team looked awful.

McClellan is not the answer, he should not be starting

Sarenyon
11-13-2015, 05:27 PM
It never ceased to amaze me how poor some military facilities are in light of the seemingly infinite Pentagon budget

Hey that 1.5 trillion fighter? How many good gyms with AC could we get for that?

they've either gotta play these games in real gyms, or just cancel the Armed Forces game. Totally unfair to the teams involved to play on unsafe courts.

Or just make it a big time exhibition game. That is what this one essentially turned out to be anyway. Go Zags!

zagsfanforlife
11-13-2015, 05:27 PM
So do we end with a L? Or since the 2nd half didn't start does it just not count period?

We were probably fortunate.. Don't think we were going to win. Team looked awful.

McClellan is not the answer, he should not be starting

While i think you are overreacting a bit, i agree we did not look good. Gotta practice more and get things together. Not impressed, but its early.

CDC84
11-13-2015, 05:32 PM
The game should've been called in the 1st half. It was too dangerous out there. Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt. Especially that Pitt kid, who is lucky he didn't sustain a concussion.

I'm disappointed that the Marines didn't get to see a great game.

The Zags get to come home and play a couple of easier low major opponents at K2. They need it. There is much to work on. Sabonis is not 100%. The positive from this game is that the Zags got 20 minutes of real time game experience against a high major team. The staff have some good game tape to work with.

DixieZag
11-13-2015, 05:32 PM
It was the right decision and I am impressed that the refs had the fortitude to make it - a lot of pressure with all the TV infrastructure there to play it through.

Besides, something was not right about us and I wasn't too optimistic going into the second half.

The end of half bucket and the foul, then JP's missing drive really leaves a pit in the stomach, thought.

JAGzag
11-13-2015, 05:33 PM
It never ceased to amaze me how poor some military facilities are in light of the seemingly infinite Pentagon budget.

This is a pretty stupid post.

TexasZagFan
11-13-2015, 05:35 PM

Marines get the short end of the stick. Air Force lives like royalty. I was stationed on two AF bases in Germany. Our Army bases didn't come close.

kitzbuel
11-13-2015, 05:36 PM
You have to realize this is a military base, not a sporting event coliseum. It does fine doing what it is designed to do.

How about taking the game to one of the gyms designed for basketball there on the island?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

DixieZag
11-13-2015, 05:37 PM
This is a pretty stupid post.

Agreed.

I don't blame the military for going for "function" with what they do. I do have some blame for who was in charge of setting up the floor/facilities and not having put it together; tropics, humidity, new floor, sweat. all that . . .had to be some event management contractor or something, maybe ESPN, dunno.

gobroncsgozags
11-13-2015, 05:40 PM
You have to realize this is a military base, not a sporting event coliseum. It does fine doing what it is designed to do.

How about taking the game to one of the gyms designed for basketball there on the island?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Good point, but doesn't make for as good an ESPN shot or story. Sad.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-13-2015, 05:51 PM
Marines get the short end of the stick. Air Force lives like royalty. I was stationed on two AF bases in Germany. Our Army bases didn't come close.

I concur with that statement. I was stationed at Fort Knox, Fort Drum, and Fort Polk - all scenic vacation destinations. The best military facilities I ever saw were Air force bases in Europe.

I guess that's my in-artfully worded point: the troops deserve suitable facilities to do their jobs and we don't always provide them despite our massive defense expenditures.

john montana
11-13-2015, 06:56 PM
The game should have been called in the first half. Just tough break for everyone.

Mantua
11-13-2015, 07:09 PM
I concur with that statement. I was stationed at Fort Knox, Fort Drum, and Fort Polk - all scenic vacation destinations. The best military facilities I ever saw were Air force bases in Europe.

I guess that's my in-artfully worded point: the troops deserve suitable facilities to do their jobs and we don't always provide them despite our massive defense expenditures.

Yes. My biggest takeaway from tonight other than *good call to end the slip 'n' slide" is can't we give our marines some air conditioning for their gym? It's the least we can do.

MickMick
11-13-2015, 07:12 PM
You can't really make a fair assessment of the play for either side because of the court conditions.

CDC84
11-13-2015, 07:46 PM

I liked how UNC and Florida played games tonight at the Veterans Classic in Annapolis at the Naval Academy. They could stage similar games at Army and Air Force.

webspinnre
11-13-2015, 08:20 PM
I liked how UNC and Florida played games tonight at the Veterans Classic in Annapolis at the Naval Academy. They could stage similar games at Army and Air Force.

That'd be a pretty slick way of doing things and ensuring proper conditions.

USMC69
11-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Marines get the short end of the stick. Air Force lives like royalty. I was stationed on two AF bases in Germany. Our Army bases didn't come close.The saying back when I was in the Corps was "We have done so much with so little for so long, We can do anything with nothing forever" Semper Fi

gbnyba17
11-13-2015, 08:45 PM
Epic fail on espns part. All it would have taken is a little foresight and a few portable AC units. I thought it was funny how there was not a mention of the game on the entire espn mens basketball web page and very little mention of it on espn (tv) other than the "amazing experience" it was. Ulimate CYA (cover your bum) going on!

ZagaZags
11-13-2015, 08:57 PM
Both teams would be able to play a game in the U.S December 16 or 17. The 16th would be the best date possible.

Gonzaga - Mon, Dec 14 vs St. Martins, Sat, Dec 19 vs Tennessee.

PITT - Sun, Dec 13 vs Morehead State, Sun, Dec 20 vs Davidson.

Zagdawg
11-13-2015, 08:59 PM
"The game will not be continued at a later date, even though Few said somewhat in jest that he wouldn't mind meeting in Chicago or Kansas City during the season. Dixon said the Panthers don't have an open date and that as much as he wanted to resume the game, it was unlikely."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14125043/game-pittsburgh-panthers-gonzaga-bulldogs-stopped-first-half-due-floor-conditions

ZagaZags
11-13-2015, 09:17 PM
"The game will not be continued at a later date, even though Few said somewhat in jest that he wouldn't mind meeting in Chicago or Kansas City during the season. Dixon said the Panthers don't have an open date and that as much as he wanted to resume the game, it was unlikely."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14125043/game-pittsburgh-panthers-gonzaga-bulldogs-stopped-first-half-due-floor-conditions

Jamie Dixon is full of cr@p, he has Dec.14-19 with no games scheduled.

hondo
11-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Dec.15-Dec.19 is finals week at GU. There are a lot more factors involved than games for a college team.

KStyles
11-13-2015, 09:39 PM
Jamie Dixon is full of cr@p, he has Dec.14-19 with no games scheduled.

Looks like Dec. 14-19 is finals week for Pitt. Finals week for GU is Dec. 15-18 as well.

http://www.provost.pitt.edu/information-on/calendar.html

TexasZagFan
11-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Okinawa humidity wins.

I don't recall too many victories against General Winter, either.

Zagceo
11-13-2015, 10:46 PM
nextime fly in some big units

http://onsiteco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/air-conditioning-headre.jpg

This from a Pitt fan

I was stationed in Okinawa in the Army. I spent 14 months there, 3-plus in Vietnam and two weeks in Thailand. We used to play pickup basketball at the gyms in Okinawa. None of them had a/c and for most of the year the humidity and heat made the floors like skating rinks. We had a rule that there were no traveling violations as long as you dribbled at all because it was too hard not to travel.

Obviously, nothing has changed. That gym still had no a/c and the humidity turned it into a slippery lake. I can't describe how humid it gets there, and it is worse at the Marine bases on the northern end of the island because they have deliberately kept the surrounding jungles since the area is used for jungle fighting training exercises.

sittingon50
11-14-2015, 04:05 PM
From the BYU board (1st hand account):

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=14910721