PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga?

former1dog
11-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Is Gonzaga becoming the Kentucky/Duke/UNC of European Basketball recruiting?

Coach Crazy
11-12-2015, 01:29 PM

Becoming *the*? No. Becoming *A*? Yes.

229SintoZag
11-12-2015, 03:06 PM

I think "becoming" is the wrong verb tense here.

I am aware of no other Division I school that has consistently landed top European talent at the level Gonzaga has between, say, Ronny Turiaf and now.

Who else is even in the conversation?

If we were talking Australia St. Marys would be in the mix. But for Europe? I think Gonzaga is the Kentucky of Euro D-1 recruiting now.

Bogozags
11-12-2015, 06:31 PM
I think "becoming" is the wrong verb tense here.

I am aware of no other Division I school that has consistently landed top European talent at the level Gonzaga has between, say, Ronny Turiaf and now.

Who else is even in the conversation?

If we were talking Australia St. Marys would be in the mix. But for Europe? I think Gonzaga is the Kentucky of Euro D-1 recruiting now.

229 I like the fact we have done so well overseas but believe we "have made it" when our good fortune translates to picking up the same quality and quantity of talent in North America. The staff have put together a remarkable recruiting class for 2016-17, which will play in next year. Maybe one or two might redshirt, which will make the class even stronger...

We have such a really good bunch of players this year and if we can avoid any serious injuries and we don't experience any "funny bounces" of the ball, we could have our best season!

It is just incredible what a GREAT job the staff has done these past 12 months...and the future is so darn bright too!

23zagmd
11-12-2015, 06:50 PM
I had a long conversation with Steve Ballmer recently about running an NBA team that was super interesting from the point of view of management and the owner. He told me that there are several teams in the NBA teams that focus primarily on euro players because of the way they play! Basically, American basketball is all about "me" from the AAU circuit on up and getting to the NBA. I feel like we have never been about that. I always wonder if Few has spent any time with Popovich, thisis exactly what he does from a player development standpoint.

I find it interesting and love to see how it plays out. I'd rather have a dozen Kelly O's than one Ben Simmons. I like the fact that we can attach ourselves to Zag players and have a somewhat faux personal relationship with them. I was never thrilled with the Austin Daye situation but love the fact that Domas will probably be around for 3-4 years.

It's all about character and program first, then ability....that is what I love about this program!!! they stick to their philosophy and haven't wavered!