PDA

View Full Version : Bud Withers will be sorely missed this season

Zags_Fanatic
11-12-2015, 10:30 AM
I just read the Seattle Times season preview and realized how much we are going to miss Bud this season. The whole article just seems like a mishmash of everything that has already been written with a couple of quotes from Coach Few and just enough misinformation to show that the writer has probably never actually watched this team play. She is especially clueless about Perkins saying that "perhaps" he will get some play in the backcourt and then referring to him as Paul Perkins in the sidebar. Maybe we should start a Gofundme to bring Bud out of retirement for a weekly Zags piece.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/gonzaga-bulldogs/why-gonzaga-mens-basketballs-nonconference-slate-is-particularly-grueling/

Therunner
11-12-2015, 10:32 AM
but in the meantime, check out John Blanchette's preview in the Spokesman today.

Also, Meehan released 4 new articles highlighting each Zag guard today as well.

Spokesman Review.com

seacatfan
11-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Paul Perkins is a nice RB for the UCLA football team, but doubtful he'll get any run as a G for the Zags bball team. That Josh Perkins guy on the other hand, better than average chance he'll log some minutes for GU. Not to be confused with the Josh Perkins that plays TE for UW football.

Agree, the article had plenty of words but said almost nothing. Equally lame preview for the GU women published in the Seattle Times today.

MDABE80
11-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Competent people are hard to find these days. Bud was a rare find. He actually knew what he was writing about......and he wrote very well. Nice guy.Yes, we'll miss his input for the rest of the way in. "Irreplaceable" come to mind.

Zags_Fanatic
11-12-2015, 11:05 AM
but in the meantime, check out John Blanchette's preview in the Spokesman today.

Also, Meehan released 4 new articles highlighting each Zag guard today as well.

Spokesman Review.com

No doubt, Meehan and Blanchette do great work. All of today's pieces were excellent! It was just nice to have another voice and a representative on the other side of the mountains.

gonstu
11-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Maybe she's just trying to get board members to stop calling him 'Jenks' and start calling him 'Paul.' I can picture it 2 years from now -

Established poster: No way Paul comes back for his senior year, he is heading to the NBA
Noobie poster: Who the heck is this Paul people keep talking about?

Gonzdb8
11-12-2015, 11:41 AM
having him called "paul" would be slightly less annoying than having folks call him "jenks" so i'm all for it.

Mantua
11-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Looks like a "Jenkins" to me. But to the whiners, we gave up "Jenks" in late August. Bud though, the artistry in his words always made me smile.
And when UW fell apart, he wasn't shy about noticing it. That's a tough choice when everything around you is purple.

I truly miss Withers, but wondering if the Seattle Times is even advertising to fill that position. So far anyone I know could do better than what I've seen written.

hooter73
11-12-2015, 02:48 PM
The comments of the article are the best part :)

Zag365
11-12-2015, 03:21 PM
Bud Withers was in the crowd at the Seattle tip-off event and was recognized from the podium (I think it was Mike Roth who did so). There was a comment to the effect that Withers was working on a project. Wasn't clear what it was or if it involved Gonzaga, but sure would be great if it is.

RenoZag
11-12-2015, 04:39 PM
The comments of the article are the best part :)

Like this one ?

CallingOutHuskyBS 1 hour ago

But, but... They play in the WCC. That's the only reason they are good. It's a high school league. if UW were in the WCC they would win it every year. Yawn. Same old BS coming from the clueless band of Husky fans. Quick quiz. How many other teams from mid major conferences have made the NCAA's every year since the turn of the century? I mean it's easy right? Any team can do it. Yeah, that's what I thought. How many top 25 recruiting classes has GU had, EVER? ZERO!!! They are going to the tournament every year and winning games there without "elite" recruiting classes. Do any of you morons think that if UW was in the WCC or BigWest they would be getting half the talent that they do? And if GU was in the PAC12 don't you think that they would be getting top 25 talent more often than not? Oh, and let's talk about the schedule. If GU was in the PAC12 they could play a bunch of cupcakes in the non-con and get half of their tough conference games at home, just like the mutts. Over the years GU has had to play almost all of their big name opponents either on the road or at a neutral site(thankfully that is no longer the case) unlike UW who gets to play half of their tough games at home in conf. Plus, they wouldn't need to finish in the top 2. They could finish 4th or 5th and still make the dance with one or two quality non con wins. Man, you think beating down the Huskies every year until they wussed out would humble some of these people. But then again, unfounded arrogance is a UW staple.

Zagricultural
11-12-2015, 05:06 PM
links?

kitzbuel
11-12-2015, 05:18 PM
Like this one ?
He forgot the part where, with that talent, they get drummed at home by the Jackrabbits.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Rbo
11-12-2015, 10:01 PM
Stephanie Loh
is a decent writer from what I've seen, but the preview was lame. Paul Perkins got more ink than Kyle D, who will probably be the best 6th man in the nation.