PDA

View Full Version : Zags get Larsen

VinnyZag
11-12-2015, 06:48 AM
Meehan on Twitter:

@SRJimm: Zags add to 2016 recruiting class with Jacob Larsen, a 6-10, 235-pound F/C from Denmark. Larsen picked GU over Marquette and Maryland.

Zagdawg
11-12-2015, 06:50 AM
Outstanding!!! Welcome to the Zag family!

Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 1m1 minute ago
Larsen: "Choice was between 3 great schools, but I felt Gonzaga was best choice for me, basketball and school wise that fit my personality."

Therunner
11-12-2015, 06:55 AM
Sweet!

Considered a 'project big' by all accounts, yet a high ceiling.

Some see him as a 6'10", 255 lb bruiser, offensive rebounder, with the right strength/conditioning. Has a terrific pedigree, great size, is a willing rebounder, nice defender, yet footwork isn't good…yet.

I foresee a red-shirt, if open to it. Not to mention, he's injured and unable to play or practice or work on his game for months.

Some say Tillie to RS, but too much of a weapon and versatile at 3 positions. His athleticism alone with size will allow him to play some face-up PF/wing and grow into his body.

Larsen needs 2 seasons, along the same lines as Edwards. Size, talent, willingness, yet repertoire not there.

Nice to add him to the pack -- and we need another long-term big!

SWZag
11-12-2015, 07:03 AM
Super!!! Formidabelt!

Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 1m1 minute ago
Larsen: "Choice was between 3 great schools, but I felt Gonzaga was best choice for me, basketball and school wise that fit my personality."

Must have a great personality!

ProjectMKUltra5
11-12-2015, 07:06 AM
Lol this is getting ridiculous

strikenowhere
11-12-2015, 07:13 AM

Haha agreed - now all we need to do is get Hachimura and we'll be set! I bet Jessie Wade is salivating at the chance to play with all of these guys in 2017 too!

jazzdelmar
11-12-2015, 07:17 AM

True, but let's hope these are not 6-10 Keitas and Monninghoffs.

Chicken Ball
11-12-2015, 07:25 AM

Yeah. But neither of those guys were also recruited by Maryland- and Marquette-level schools, if I recall.

jazzdelmar
11-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Yeah. But neither of those guys were also recruited by Maryland- and Marquette-level schools, if I recall.

Don't recall. Erased all memory of that adventure. But you make a good point.

Therunner
11-12-2015, 07:27 AM

Actually, a very good point.

Larsen and Tillie are regarded recruits but fairly untested in the grand scheme.

Also, both are injured and out for some time this year.

Both have major question marks, unlike a Sabonis or a Collins.

For instance, Tillie is oft-injured, thin, frail, & hasn't had to work on his body at all. No actual position of note. Larsen has some solid stats vs inferior competition, riding a bit on his brothers' coat-tails, and hasn't shown a great deal of post moves.

Definitely high risk….but high reward players as well.

We will see.

gon2mt
11-12-2015, 07:35 AM
Can anyone post an updated scholarship table? Any more spots open depending on Sabonis?

GoZags
11-12-2015, 07:38 AM
Can anyone post an updated scholarship table? Any more spots open depending on Sabonis?

Sabonis isn't going anywhere ....

And my preference would to have the chart "updated" once all the newcomers are in the fold ....

zag67
11-12-2015, 07:41 AM
First, welcome aboard to both of them.
Even if one turns out super and the other is a solid reserve, it is super for GU. WE are going to have a solid front court and a group of guards that should be able to even improve their play. I think with both of these and possibly the one from Japan, I can see 2 of them redshirting. One next year and one the following. This gives each of them more minutes and a chance to build their bodies and their skills. This is becoming one GREAT recruiting class. GO ZAGS win against Pitt.

strikenowhere
11-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Sabonis isn't going anywhere ....

And my preference would to have the chart "updated" once all the newcomers are in the fold ....

Is that a nod to another new recruit, or to the fact that Norvell hasn't signed his LOI yet?

Coach Crazy
11-12-2015, 07:48 AM
More icing on the icing cake. Bahaha. Insulin shot, please, good sir.

Coach Crazy
11-12-2015, 07:51 AM

Right? Haha. Seriously. #OlynykClynyc #dividendscantstopwontstop

GoZags
11-12-2015, 07:57 AM
Is that a nod to another new recruit, or to the fact that Norvell hasn't signed his LOI yet?

With the cavaet that nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag .... I'll answer C) All of the above ....

exclusivelee
11-12-2015, 08:06 AM
Room for 1 more multi-year recruit and a grad transfer assuming no one leaves early

https://zagsguru.wordpress.com/roster/
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/18c5c794eaf0b0549bb54a5e30969f5d.jpg

sittingon50
11-12-2015, 08:26 AM
Holy Toledo!!

cggonzaga
11-12-2015, 08:29 AM

Not even close Jazz, at least talent wise.

Mike83814
11-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Two words:

Loa-Ded.

hooter73
11-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Monninghoff had the potential but it just never sunk in with him. I feel like a lot of people think Keita got coat-tailed into the deal too, but neither one was a Keegan Hyland. Larsen, hes heads and tails above that level.

zag buddy
11-12-2015, 09:19 AM
didn't they both do well once they left?

sittingon50
11-12-2015, 09:29 AM
I hate to see either of those 2 great kids get dissed. 13 scholarships; there aren't enough balls for 13 stars.

Both of those kids filled a role with their own particular skill sets. Monninghoff torched a couple of teams & Keita was as responsible as anyone for the win @ Wake Forest.

They acquitted themselves well, IMO. Once a Zag, always a Zag.

soccerdud
11-12-2015, 09:35 AM
Don't recall. Erased all memory of that adventure. But you make a good point.

i do notice that i haven't seen you urging the zags to "get bigger" lately. does that mean we're big enough? ;)

Zagnificent
11-12-2015, 09:38 AM
Hopefully each of the newly-signed bigs committed to Gonzaga with the intention of working on their bodies and their game in much the same fashion as Olynyk and Wiltjer. If that's the case, and they buy into the system and resources, I trust they'll be successful and find a place on the roster.

seacatfan
11-12-2015, 09:47 AM
It seemed to me that neither of the Mathis had a clearly defined role during their tenure at GU. Both had some skill. Didn't work out ultimately, but that was during an era when a whole bunch of recruits didn't work out. Not sure what happened, glad that era is in the past.

Worthington
11-12-2015, 09:48 AM

Tillie was the MVP of the FIBA U16 European Championship. Larsen was the MVP of the FIBA U16 European Championship B Division. In short, not too worried about these guys.

007Zag
11-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Assuming nobody leaves early or transfers, there is going to be some amazing continuity from 16/17 to 17/18, with the benefit of adding Wade in 17/18. With that kind of continuity (skilled continuity at that), the Zags should have a real shot at at least one FF.

strikenowhere
11-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Assuming nobody leaves early or transfers, there is going to be some amazing continuity from 16/17 to 17/18, with the benefit of adding Wade in 17/18. With that kind of continuity (skilled continuity at that), the Zags should have a real shot at at least one FF.

I think its crazy that next year there are going to be 6 - 7 new (in some way or another) players on the team:

Williams III
NWG
Collins
Norville
Larsen
Tillie
Hachimura (possibly)

That is insane

CDC84
11-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Both of these guys are not Keita/MacLeod type players. They are significant talents. They might not come in and dominate right away like Sabonis did. Tillie, especially, needs to add muscle.

jazzdelmar
11-12-2015, 10:59 AM
i do notice that i haven't seen you urging the zags to "get bigger" lately. does that mean we're big enough? ;)

You're confusing me with doc. I'm not a get bigger guy. i'm a better shooter's guy

LongIslandZagFan
11-12-2015, 11:07 AM
Apples to Oranges. M&M were not in the ballpark of base talent level as these two are. Not saying these two are going to be awesome... but to make the comparison that is being made, honestly, really isn't fair to them at all.

soccerdud
11-12-2015, 11:32 AM
You're confusing me with doc. I'm not a get bigger guy. i'm a better shooter's guy

my apologies. must have misremembered.

Mantua
11-12-2015, 12:04 PM
I hate to see either of those 2 great kids get dissed. 13 scholarships; there aren't enough balls for 13 stars.

Both of those kids filled a role with their own particular skill sets. Monninghoff torched a couple of teams & Keita was as responsible as anyone for the win @ Wake Forest.

They acquitted themselves well, IMO. Once a Zag, always a Zag.

Agree.

We don't have enough information to be making assumptions about new recruits. The international pipeline has served us well. Over the summer there were some comments regarding current players I found to be premature judgements. I always thought Keita and Monninghoff showed some promise and they seemed to be pretty great kids.

Zagcity
11-12-2015, 12:40 PM

You might want to add a little to your cup, it's running a smidgen low ;)

ZagaZags
11-12-2015, 03:13 PM
3 down 2 to go. Such a great accomplishment for the staff. This team is set for another 4-5 years.

Coach Crazy
11-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Agree.

We don't have enough information to be making assumptions about new recruits. The international pipeline has served us well. Over the summer there were some comments regarding current players I found to be premature judgements. I always thought Keita and Monninghoff showed some promise and they seemed to be pretty great kids.

With all due respect, how do you think the evaluating goes when scouting players? Those judgments can be made, the question is whether or not they can remain justified within the framework or the discussion. Just because someone is or was a Zag doesn't mean we should withhold certain judgments or critiques, if they are accurate.

Keita and Monninghoff were largely a failed experiment. Which is ok. For the love that is trying to be thrown their way, had we seen another "Keita" and another "Monninghoff" in close proximity to that recruiting class, it could have set this program back a decade or two. Recruiting is a game for the exponential, especially for programs like Gonzaga. That build up never happens with players like Keita and Monninghoff. And that's ok. It is what it is. We're entering a new era of Gonzaga basketball. Might as well get comfortable with turning into a Factory level team. It's headed that direction.

GoZags
11-12-2015, 04:14 PM
BTW ... huge congratulations to Jacob Larsen on his decision to become a Zag.

I think it's fitting in a thread entitled "Zags get Larsen" to acknowledge the kid.

jazzdelmar
11-12-2015, 04:15 PM
With all due respect, how do you think the evaluating goes when scouting players? Those judgments can be made, the question is whether or not they can remain justified within the framework or the discussion. Just because someone is or was a Zag doesn't mean we should withhold certain judgments or critiques, if they are accurate.

Keita and Monninghoff were largely a failed experiment. Which is ok. For the love that is trying to be thrown their way, had we seen another "Keita" and another "Monninghoff" in close proximity to that recruiting class, it could have set this program back a decade or two. Recruiting is a game for the exponential, especially for programs like Gonzaga. That build up never happens with players like Keita and Monninghoff. And that's ok. It is what it is. We're entering a new era of Gonzaga basketball. Might as well get comfortable with turning into a Factory level team. It's headed that direction.

Superb, Craze.

007Zag
11-12-2015, 04:32 PM
I think its crazy that next year there are going to be 6 - 7 new (in some way or another) players on the team:

Williams III
NWG
Collins
Norville
Larsen
Tillie
Hachimura (possibly)

That is insane

That is a lot of new players, to be sure, but like I said, there's only one newbie the next year, so it evens out. Normally, I'd expect a lot of bumps in the road in a year where we add so much new blood, but with Perkins/Melson/Alberts returning in the backcourt, Sabonis/Edwards in the front court, and two of those 6-7 new players being upperclassmen redshirts, I think there will be enough stability out of the gate for the 16/17 team to do really well. And then they get to try again the next year with exactly the same crew, plus a four-star Wade. Assuming nobody leaves early or transfers, obviously.

zag67
11-12-2015, 06:09 PM
Next years team is going to be something to dream about.

Point guard: Perkins & NWG
Shooting: Melson & Norvelle
Small FWD: Williams III & Alberts
Power FWD: Sabonis & Larsen
Center: Edwards & Collins

Then you have Hach and Tillie (if either wants) which I think that one might RS this year and one the following year. This allows them to mature and gain some bulk.
This is one group of players that I think the coaches are going to be working all summer to figure out how to play them. I think that you can have a team that attacks all over the court and another group that makes the other team play even harder defense. Therefore they wear teams down.

northsidezagfan
11-12-2015, 06:13 PM
Great get! Welcome!

hooter73
11-13-2015, 08:02 AM
Next years team is going to be something to dream about.

Point guard: Perkins & NWG
Shooting: Melson & Norvelle
Small FWD: Williams III & Alberts
Power FWD: Sabonis & Larsen
Center: Edwards & Collins

Sabonis is an if, and in that case, I think Tillie and Larsen have the 4 spot totally covered. In fact if Rui does come, I unfortunately envision a guard transferring out. The biggest question mark to me is NWG and Perkins sharing time at the point.

webspinnre
11-13-2015, 08:55 AM
NWG is a combo guard, he'll be fine.

hooter73
11-13-2015, 09:14 AM

well in that case I can almost guarantee a transfer with NWG and Norvelle coming in...

Mr Vulture
11-13-2015, 09:51 AM
I would be very surprised if Sabonis went pro after this year...I just don't see it. Otherwise, I'd imagine that NWG and Perkins will be starting together next season.

Sabonis is an if, and in that case, I think Tillie and Larsen have the 4 spot totally covered. In fact if Rui does come, I unfortunately envision a guard transferring out. The biggest question mark to me is NWG and Perkins sharing time at the point.

BobZag
11-13-2015, 10:37 AM
Wait with that scholie till next spring for an in-coming transfer.

That's my vote.

zag buddy
11-13-2015, 10:47 AM
I expect Sabonis to go pro after this year. All of his teammates he played with have left. Not the same team feeling for him.

PHSBBall
11-13-2015, 11:37 AM

Not trying to be antagonistic here, but in what universe has NWG EVER been a combo guard? The kid is and always has been a floor general at the PG position, it's not even debatable.

Zagdawg
11-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Agree-- we will be running two guards who can facilitate the offense. Good to have two great point guards.

Coach Crazy
11-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Not trying to be antagonistic here, but in what universe has NWG EVER been a combo guard? The kid is and always has been a floor general at the PG position, it's not even debatable.

Very true. But part of him coming here was going to require he and Josh to become a little more hybrid. I don't think he would have chosen Gonzaga if he wasn't on board with that.

seacatfan
11-13-2015, 12:34 PM
It's not like GU hasn't played 2 PG simultaneously at various different points during Few's tenure as HC.

Hmm...2 dynamic PG with good size, who can drive and score, dish the rock (NWG averaged 6 apg last year and we're expecting big things from Perkins in that department) and hopefully shoot well enough from outside to keep defenses honest...what's not to like about that?!

Chicken Ball
11-13-2015, 02:24 PM
It's not like GU hasn't played 2 PG simultaneously at various different points during Few's tenure as HC.

Hmm...2 dynamic PG with good size, who can drive and score, dish the rock (NWG averaged 6 apg last year and we're expecting big things from Perkins in that department) and hopefully shoot well enough from outside to keep defenses honest...what's not to like about that?!

One thing's for sure: it's going to be hard to run a press against that backcourt.

Zagdawg
07-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Gonzaga Basketball ‏@ZagMBB 38m38 minutes ago
Our last newcomer number goes to Jacob Larsen. The big man from Denmark will wear #14. Welcome to the fam Jacob! ����

exclusivelee
07-26-2016, 06:14 PM
Gonzaga Basketball ‏@ZagMBB 38m38 minutes ago
Our last newcomer number goes to Jacob Larsen. The big man from Denmark will wear #14. Welcome to the fam Jacob! 🔵🔴
Larsen now 6'11. He turned 19 in May, the oldest of the incoming Zag freshmen. Hope both he and Tillie arrive on campus healthy. Both haven't spent too much time on the court the last 2 years while 100% healthy

I think this means Johnathan Williams (JW3) will regain jersey #3 which he wore at Mizzou

http://i.imgur.com/VdSBGED.jpg

Zagdawg
08-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru 9m9 minutes ago
Gonzaga's new Danish basketball star Jacob Larsen is in Spokane at The Kennel
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJq3E-rAz5A/

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Cq-1G9rXEAQaFya.jpg (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Cq-1G9rXEAQaFya.jpg.html)