PDA

View Full Version : Pitt is better

Therunner
11-10-2015, 07:53 PM
than predicted or expected.

Pitt returns (4) starters, including All-ACC honorees Jamel Artis and Michael Young, 85 percent of its scoring, 74 percent of its rebounding, and 86 percent of its assists from the 2014-15 team. 5 or more players returning averaged 8+ pts.

In addition to four returning starters, they add 3 graduate transfers:

-- TOP/#1 Rebounder in the Ivy League (9 rpg) and 10 ppg.

-- TOP/#1 Shot Blocker in the A-10 (2 bpg) and 7 ppg.

-- TOP/#1 3pt shooting guard in the MEAC and leading scorer for his team (14 ppg), (42% 3pt)

They also add the biggest player in JUCO.

Long, athletic, & very experienced. Starting 4 seniors.

A post-season team who added 3 6'9"+ & 3 all-conference players in the past 6 months.

Essentially, Pitt is an underrated team with many new/talented pieces who have them excited. Pitt fans know this is a new-look team with veteran presence.

This is NOT the team to come limping into and needing to test out guard rotations against.

This is one of better teams we face all season, a potential tourney team. Our guys have yet to figure it out in the backcourt and Karnowski AND Sabonis are on the mend.

We need our best in Japan. Make the 52 hours of travel more than worth it.

Therunner
11-10-2015, 08:00 PM
fwiw, Georgetown is ranked a Top-20 team by Sagarin and Kenpom and others.

Hoyas ranked Top-25 and picked 2nd in Big East by fellow Coaches.

I believe it was mentioned previously, yet Pitt BLASTED Georgetown in their secret scrimmage. 15+ pts

RenoZag
11-10-2015, 08:01 PM
we're doomed

2wiceright
11-10-2015, 09:15 PM
Their back court is their biggest weakness (per their own posters on their board).... So until our guards show they can control the ball, feed the post, and shoot the three, at least early on this could be a very even match up (unless we should play them later in the year). JMO... It will be interesting to see how our young guards handle a full court press....and how well Karno and (if ) DS play(s).

Thank the Lord for KW in early games like this when there are so many unknowns...

TheZagPhish
11-10-2015, 09:17 PM
we're doomed

>clink<

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-11-2015, 04:53 AM
than predicted or expected.

Pitt returns (4) starters, including All-ACC honorees Jamel Artis and Michael Young, 85 percent of its scoring, 74 percent of its rebounding, and 86 percent of its assists from the 2014-15 team. 5 or more players returning averaged 8+ pts.

In addition to four returning starters, they add 3 graduate transfers:

-- TOP/#1 Rebounder in the Ivy League (9 rpg) and 10 ppg.

-- TOP/#1 Shot Blocker in the A-10 (2 bpg) and 7 ppg.

-- TOP/#1 3pt shooting guard in the MEAC and leading scorer for his team (14 ppg), (42% 3pt)

They also add the biggest player in JUCO.

Long, athletic, & very experienced. Starting 4 seniors.

A post-season team who added 3 6'9"+ & 3 all-conference players in the past 6 months.

Essentially, Pitt is an underrated team with many new/talented pieces who have them excited. Pitt fans know this is a new-look team with veteran presence.

This is NOT the team to come limping into and needing to test out guard rotations against.

This is one of better teams we face all season, a potential tourney team. Our guys have yet to figure it out in the backcourt and Karnowski AND Sabonis are on the mend.

We need our best in Japan. Make the 52 hours of travel more than worth it.

Thanks for these facts Therunner. Pitt is a veteran team that underachieved last season, added some really nice players and now, after being overlooked in all the preseason rankings, gets to open against a top 10 team. Zags better be wide awake and ready for the 9am tipoff because Pitt is going to be uber amped up for this opportunity to get back on the national stage.

I'm worried about this game for sure and fear GUNation is so excited about this season as a whole that we are overlooking our first opponent.....just hope the players aren't.

Therunner
11-11-2015, 06:18 AM
Thanks for these facts Therunner. Pitt is a veteran team that underachieved last season, added some really nice players and now, after being overlooked in all the preseason rankings, gets to open against a top 10 team. Zags better be wide awake and ready for the 9am tipoff because Pitt is going to be uber amped up for this opportunity to get back on the national stage.

I'm worried about this game for sure and fear GUNation is so excited about this season as a whole that we are overlooking our first opponent.....just hope the players aren't.

great post and thoughts, thanks for sharing.

my intent wasn't to create 'we are doomed' mentality, rather as you mentioned, not to overlook a very capable opponent.

any team returning four starters and made the post-season is talented enough to beat anyone.

Pitt wasn't very big last season, yet adding one of the biggest players in A-10 and Ivy league fortifies their lineup.

not to mention adding a 1st team All-MEAC 6'5" guard who is a 40%+ 3pt shooter with 150+ attempts.

In many ways, they are more proven/experienced than us outside of PF. All seniors and proven graduate transfers. Also, our best player is game-time decision, so guys will need to step up and be ready.

lastly, Pitt's leading scorer is their 6'7", 225 athletic WING, who mans the 3-spot. Literally, Zags biggest question mark is wing and how to defend that position.

this is all based on lineup facts, #'s, and match-ups. Pitts message board fans believe they are a Top-20 team this season and they seem pretty informed/realistic to me.

willandi
11-11-2015, 06:59 AM
fwiw, Georgetown is ranked a Top-20 team by Sagarin and Kenpom and others.

Hoyas ranked Top-25 and picked 2nd in Big East by fellow Coaches.

I believe it was mentioned previously, yet Pitt BLASTED Georgetown in their secret scrimmage. 15+ pts

All good info, but we don't know what Georgetown was working on in the secret scrimmage. They may well have accomplished all they wanted, despite losing the scrimmage, while Pitt may have felt that they needed to win, rather than learning as much.

Pitt will be a good test. I don't think they have an answer for Wiltjer, if they cover him outside he moves inside or mid-range, and if they double him it leaves Karno open. I don't think they have an answer there either. I don't see anybody stopping Domas if he's ready.
It comes down to our guard play. The poor shooting of the exhibition may well be a blessing. Few can point at it and tell them that is why we have to play inside out, drive and dish, and their poor shooting makes his point.

titopoet
11-11-2015, 08:42 AM
All good info, but we don't know what Georgetown was working on in the secret scrimmage. They may well have accomplished all they wanted, despite losing the scrimmage, while Pitt may have felt that they needed to win, rather than learning as much.

Pitt will be a good test. I don't think they have an answer for Wiltjer, if they cover him outside he moves inside or mid-range, and if they double him it leaves Karno open. I don't think they have an answer there either. I don't see anybody stopping Domas if he's ready.
It comes down to our guard play. The poor shooting of the exhibition may well be a blessing. Few can point at it and tell them that is why we have to play inside out, drive and dish, and their poor shooting makes his point.

I think a better plan, one used top great effect last year, is run the offense through Karno. They will have to put a 6'9" guy on him. It will force Dixon to double, which leaves Karno, the best passing center in the NCAA, to find Wiltjer to kill them either inside or out. The will a lot of pressure on the Pitt D (almost too much) for them to keep it close.

Bogozags
11-11-2015, 08:55 AM
I think a better plan, one used top great effect last year, is run the offense through Karno. They will have to put a 6'9" guy on him. It will force Dixon to double, which leaves Karno, the best passing center in the NCAA, to find Wiltjer to kill them either inside or out. The will a lot of pressure on the Pitt D (almost too much) for them to keep it close.

I believe that Pitt will have a very difficult time to stop our front court and will eventually, go to a zone to defend our strength. We are going to have to shoot a "little higher percentage" from behind the arc to make them play honest and not sag into the paint...

Oh, let's hope we rebound well in this game...Pitt is going to be a challenge on the boards, especially when they play M-M...

bartruff1
11-11-2015, 09:24 AM
Yes....I know.....I know...it is time to move on.....but if Gary and Kevin were going to play, I would have little doubt....

If the perimeter shooting doesn't improve, I doubt Gonzaga wins.... in any case we will know a lot more about this team after this game.

As for the rankings...I doubt Gonzaga would be favored to win the ACC and I also doubt Pitt would be expected to finish from 7-10 in the WCC.

titopoet
11-11-2015, 10:04 AM
I believe that Pitt will have a very difficult time to stop our front court and will eventually, go to a zone to defend our strength. We are going to have to shoot a "little higher percentage" from behind the arc to make them play honest and not sag into the paint...

Oh, let's hope we rebound well in this game...Pitt is going to be a challenge on the boards, especially when they play M-M...
Dixon is not one to zone, he coach several of his players to sag off which will open up wide open threes. Eric and Josh (and Kyle) can hit open 3s as Karno will find them. (Those two were 2 for 5 in the exhibition game) KD is a .356 lifetime shooter and if he gets an open look, he will hit. In the exhibition there was little inside out play and many step back 3 or too quick trigger. Few will correct that. Also, zone does put fear into me as it is harder to block out. If Sabonis is back and relatively healthy , having to find him and block out will be a nightmare for most teams that zone.

GU will have to play well to win, but they have too many weapons for Pitt. It is a perfect game to ease in the guards.