PDA

View Full Version : Toughest non conference schedules

MDABE80
11-10-2015, 07:14 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/starting-five-toughest-non-conference-schedules/ar-CCc53l#page=1

RenoZag
11-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the link, Doc. There are a lot of DVR-worthy games in that slate.

ZagNative
11-10-2015, 08:08 PM
Tough slate for Long Beach State:

This year's schedule features road games at Duke, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Colorado State and Pepperdine. Plus, home games vs. Brigham Young and San Diego State. And LBSU is playing in the Charleston Classic, starting with Seton Hall.

seacatfan
11-11-2015, 11:36 AM

Beach often has a very difficult schedule. I think sometimes they overschedule. Playing good teams to prepare you for the conference play is one thing, but getting beat up and losing a bunch of games and having a losing record doesn't seem like a wise strategy. Some years they are good enough to hang in against the tough competition and win some of the games, but other years not at all.

john montana
11-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Beach often has a very difficult schedule. I think sometimes they overschedule. Playing good teams to prepare you for the conference play is one thing, but getting beat up and losing a bunch of games and having a losing record doesn't seem like a wise strategy. Some years they are good enough to hang in against the tough competition and win some of the games, but other years not at all.

It is a tough one, but I still prefer that philosophy to the Randy Bennett "Let me schedule 20 wins a year" philosophy.

Zagceo
11-11-2015, 12:19 PM

Just part of the sports business………..link (http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2014/12/10/report-long-beach-state-coach-dan-monson-profits-off-of-teams-buy-games/)

seacatfan
11-11-2015, 03:10 PM
It is a tough one, but I still prefer that philosophy to the Randy Bennett "Let me schedule 20 wins a year" philosophy.

Somewhere in between I believe lies a happy medium. Agree with you, I'm not down with Bennett's philosophy that pretty much counts on having to beat Gonzaga at least once to get an NCAA Tourney resume worthy W.

Spike94
11-12-2015, 10:31 PM

Not going to be too harsh, because there might be financial limitations or something, but their schedule is a joke. Yes they play Cal and Stanford, but they don't go anywhere or play anyone. If there isn't some really good reason for this, they have no hope of becoming an elite type program and they have now slipped into the dragging the conference down category.