PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Game Press: Pitt

ZagNative
11-09-2015, 10:09 PM
Jamie Dixon press conference before the trip to Okinawa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EuM6cDdNnk

Zag Man
11-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Thanks for sharing this! I thought it was an insightful interview.

Zagceo
11-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Thx ZN

liked the line about not a lot of 7 footers around.....

DixieZag
11-10-2015, 09:53 AM
I don't much about him, many here will know a lot more, but from what I saw I kinda like that guy.

BULLDOG#1
11-10-2015, 10:20 AM
I don't much about him, many here will know a lot more, but from what I saw I kinda like that guy.

+1

ProjectMKUltra5
11-10-2015, 10:29 AM

Even I, the most cynical of sports fans, think this dude is awesome and runs a great program. He seems like the type that's just a hella good coach that tries to develop his players over 3 or 4 years and play a tough brand of basketball. Very GUish, I suppose.

jazzdelmar
11-10-2015, 12:43 PM
My grandsons go to his camp every year. A good guy. Could work on his eye contact and neck wrangling though.

SWZag
11-10-2015, 01:37 PM
Pittsburgh Post Gazette: Pitt basketball prepares for long trip to Japan to face Gonzaga (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2015/11/10/Pitt-basketball-prepares-for-long-trip-to-Japan-to-face-Gonzaga/stories/201511100067)

Forward Sheldon Jeter said the flight is long and the Bulldogs are good but he would rather play a great team first because it gives the Panthers a chance to make a big statement to the rest of Division I on Day 1 of the season.

“A lot of the offseason we talked about how we were mediocre last year and we want to be different this year,” Jeter said. “The best way I can think to be different is to go right at one of the big dogs. They are a top-10 team, so this is the perfect matchup if we really want to prove to everybody who ranked us really low. This is the best way for us to prove we belong in the top tier.

Pittsburgh Tribune Review: Gonzaga a unique test for Pitt men's basketball team in season opener
(http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/9400748-74/season-gonzaga-pitt#axzz3r891UDub)

gonstu
11-10-2015, 01:52 PM
4PM (PST) tipoff - doesn't that make it 9AM Japan time? I wish it was a couple hours later - come on ESPN don't you know I'm still at work at 4PM!?!?!

ZagNative
11-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the links. I liked this from the second story:

Of games involving 351 Division I college basketball teams, Friday's Armed Forces Classic in Okinawa, Japan, between Pitt and No. 9 Gonzaga represents the best season-opening matchup.

That's what Pitt coach Jamie Dixon told his players to prepare them for the most difficult first game in his tenure.

“Three-hundred forty nine (teams) are not going to be playing against the same level (opponent) we're playing Friday night,” Dixon said. “We're going against one of the best offensive teams in the country with experienced guys at pretty much every position.”

“We're the underdogs,” said junior forward Jamel Artis, who led Pitt in scoring last season. “They're in the Top 10. We're not.”

Gonzaga finished 35-3 last year, advancing to the NCAA Tournament for the 16th consecutive season under coach Mark Few before losing to national champion Duke in the Elite Eight.

Forward Sheldon Jeter, a junior from Beaver Falls, said playing Gonzaga provides extra motivation.

“I like it,” Jeter said. “We want to prove to everybody who ranks us (low).”

Gonzaga returns all three big men who shared significant minutes in 2014-15, including senior Kyle Wiltjer, a transfer from Kentucky who led the team in scoring at 16.8 points per game. Senior center Przemek Karnowski is back after averaging 10.9 points, and sophomore forward Domantas Sabonis returns after averaging 9.7 points and a team-leading 7.1 rebounds in his first college season.

Dixon said the opportunity to face Gonzaga right away was too good to pass up. Other than playing Alabama in the opener in Dixon's first season in 2003-04, this is the Panthers' most challenging first game.

“It's about as unique as you can get,” Dixon said. “Generally, teams don't play an opponent like this in the first game.

“You talk to ESPN and say we'll play whatever TV games you have, and they say, ‘Here's the game, you do it.' That's how it was done.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/9400748-74/season-gonzaga-pitt#ixzz3r8HqagBQ
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Good quotes from Pitt players.

Zags better be wide awake and ready to roll at 9am 'cause this is a huge opportunity for a veteran Pitt team to get their program back on the map this season after a disappointing year for them.

First of many games where Zags will be the hunted......who is going to provide the fiery leadership needed to get his teammates all kinds of fired up for the tip!!???

ZagsGoZags
11-10-2015, 04:38 PM
He makes the point a couple of times that most NBA bound bigs leave college before their senior and fifth years. This is factual, and he mentions it as an alert for how difficult they would be as opponents, but I thought I detected a bit of 'if they were that great they would be gone by now.' Cool guy, though, and interesting interview.

GoZags
11-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Even I, the most cynical of sports fans, think this dude is awesome and runs a great program. He seems like the type that's just a hella good coach that tries to develop his players over 3 or 4 years and play a tough brand of basketball. Very GUish, I suppose.

Jamie is considered "family" by the staff. Here's a link to a post made about a year ago (in the thread announcing the GU/Pitt game). Actually, it was interesting for me to "re-read" that entire thread.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?51033-Zags-v-Pitt-(opener-next-season)&p=1043617#post1043617

uZiGiZaG
11-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Pitt is purposely talking us up.. I think deep down they think they are going to dominate "little ole Gonzaga who doesn't play anyone"

They are in for a reality check. Or maybe I am wrong and they truly do think we are a Top 10 team, but it almost sounds like they are almost being sarcastic with so many of them saying the same thing..

RenoZag
11-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Very skillful of Dixon to get the USMC vets in to his last practice before the long flight to talk about the legacy of Okinawa and the American sacrifices made there. Play as many chords as possible to get your troops ready. . .part of being a good coach is pulling an emotional string every now and then.

Thank you for posting the video, ZN.

ZagaZags
11-10-2015, 10:41 PM
4PM (PST) tipoff - doesn't that make it 9AM Japan time? I wish it was a couple hours later - come on ESPN don't you know I'm still at work at 4PM!?!?!

I have read the pregame will start at 4pm PST. ESPN has the game on at 4pm-7pm, with Washington vs Texas at 7pm-9pm. It doesn't take 3 hours to play an NCAA basketball game. ( unless you have WCC refs.)

MDABE80
11-10-2015, 10:57 PM
Jet lag and stiff legs are what my biggest issue is. I know we have better players but it's helluva distance with a cramped tin can travel conditions.
I'm looking for a very difficult game. Pitt went earlier and that'll help them but our kids just left. A day acclimating offers a big edge.
Hope we win this one. No matter the rankings edge we have, it's a difficult set of circumstances. Domas' back will be one thing to watch. In an ideal world, he'd be resting and getting stretch with some treatment. Hope he's getting that.
We all worry when it's the first game. I do. Pitt's big. So are we. Hope the backcourt is ready to roll.

ZagaZags
11-10-2015, 11:24 PM
Jet lag and stiff legs are what my biggest issue is. I know we have better players but it's helluva distance with a cramped tin can travel conditions.
I'm looking for a very difficult game. Pitt went earlier and that'll help them but our kids just left. A day acclimating offers a big edge.
Hope we win this one. No matter the rankings edge we have, it's a difficult set of circumstances. Domas' back will be one thing to watch. In an ideal world, he'd be resting and getting stretch with some treatment. Hope he's getting that.
We all worry when it's the first game. I do. Pitt's big. So are we. Hope the backcourt is ready to roll.

Fortunately, Pitt had the longer flight.

Bogozags
11-11-2015, 04:06 AM

Doc,

Think they also left yesterday...I listened to Dixon's PC where he stated they will have two practices/shoot-arounds before the game. I imagine GU preparation will be very similar...not to worried about them being adjusted by game time...

I think GU has an advantage, because "we" play in small gyms though out the WCC...the fans are going to be right on the court...don't think Pitt has played in a "matchbox" unless they go to Maui or Nassau...this atmosphere is going to be different...

On paper GU is the better team and I believe the "cream will rise to the top!" This isn't a GU Team from the 90's...WE ARE the experienced, competition hardened team and we will prevail.

Pitt is ACC and they have that EGO which all major conference teams have...Pitt will attempt to take the air out of the ball as they cannot run with the ZAGS...we can appreciate playing games against USF, Pepperdine, SCU and USD...we will not panic...we will be methodical and play uptempo when an opportunity avails itself...

Zagceo
11-11-2015, 04:09 AM

Program starts at 9:00am but tipoff is 9:35 local time........4:35pm pacific gives you a little more time

bartruff1
11-11-2015, 04:15 AM
Gonzaga will have to shoot much better from the perimeter , if they expect to beat Pitt. We will know a lot more about this team after this game.

Therunner
11-11-2015, 06:24 AM
I think GU has an advantage, because "we" play in small gyms though out the WCC...the fans are going to be right on the court...don't think Pitt has played in a "matchbox" unless they go to Maui or Nassau...this atmosphere is going to be different...

Gonzaga will have to shoot much better from the perimeter , if they expect to beat Pitt.

Excellent points.

Never thought of the small/cramped gym being an advantage, yet I feel you're on to something…

Pitt never plays in a small venue with 3,000 fans -- not in the ACC or Big East or pre-conference (those are home games).

Meanwhile, Zags make a living on it.

willandi
11-11-2015, 06:53 AM

It is the 'Featured" game from ESPN. The 4pm tip-off PST makes it prime time east coast, so everybody can see it. I too wish it were a little later, but I'll DVR it, along with most of the early season games, and watch when I get home.

I expect the Zags to win, but they had better come prepared. Pitt has very little to lose, as long as they play hard.

GO ZAGS!!!

Therunner
11-11-2015, 06:59 AM
It is the 'Featured" game from ESPN. The 4pm tip-off PST makes it prime time east coast, so everybody can see it. I too wish it were a little later, but I'll DVR it, along with most of the early season games, and watch when I get home.

I expect the Zags to win, but they had better come prepared. Pitt has very little to lose, as long as they play hard.

GO ZAGS!!!

you may want to DVR even earlier, it sounds like there will be some pre-game segments following the team's activities in Okinawa, in addition to historical elements as well.

it may be included in ESPN's block for game, yet just wanted to mention it, because sometimes this stuff starters earlier than tv/satellite schedules state on programming, ESPECIALLY on ESPN.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-11-2015, 11:45 AM
you may want to DVR even earlier, it sounds like there will be some pre-game segments following the team's activities in Okinawa, in addition to historical elements as well.

it may be included in ESPN's block for game, yet just wanted to mention it, because sometimes this stuff starters earlier than tv/satellite schedules state on programming, ESPECIALLY on ESPN.

I just set my DVR for Friday and learned two interesting tidbits:
1) immediately after Zags game ESPN is broadcasting UW vs Texas, so I'm recording that game too as Zags will likely see both teams in 2 weeks.
2). Zags vs Pitt rightfully bumped Duke vs Siena to ESPNU....it was just heartening to see the East coast/Dukie bias isn't so toxic as to have gotten them the prime time slot over Zags v Pitt.

ZagNative
11-11-2015, 12:24 PM
The Dagger looks at the Pitt vs. GU match up (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/west-coast-bias--what-to-watch-for-on-opening-night-210556273.html):

College basketball's interminable seven-month offseason is finally almost over.

The new season tips off Friday night with a handful of intriguing games to whet our appetites for next week's 24-hour marathon and the holiday tournaments thereafter. Here's a look at Friday's most compelling games involving West Coast teams:

1. PITTSBURGH vs. GONZAGA, 7 P.M. EST (OKINAWA, JAPAN)

Last year's records: Pittsburgh 19-15, 8-10 ACC (Lost to George Washington in the opening round of the NIT); Gonzaga 35-3, 17-1 WCC (Lost to Duke in the NCAA tournament Elite Eight)

Key players: Jamel Artis, Pittsburgh (13.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg); Kyle Wiltjer, Gonzaga (16.8 ppg, 6.2 rpg)

One big question: Will Gonzaga's supersized lineup thrive or fail?

Assuming Domantis Sabonis' sore back has healed enough for him to play on Friday, then the first test of the defensive viability of Gonzaga's supersized starting lineup will arrive right away. Pittsburgh combo forward Jamel Artis will be a difficult assignment for either Kyle Wiltjer or Sabonis because of the 6-foot-7 junior's quickness, perimeter shooting and ability to create for himself and others off the dribble.

Artis emerged as Pittsburgh's top scorer a couple weeks into league play last season, averaging 17.7 points, 6.9 rebounds and 2.4 assists during his team's final 18 games. He did most of his damage abusing bigger, slower power forwards last season, but may spend more time at his natural small forward position this season with 6-foot-9 Michael Young returning and a several transfer big men now on the roster.

While Artis' quickness advantage might force Gonzaga to play zone or to go long stretches with only two of its three elite big men on the floor, the Zags have the size and skill on offense to make up for any easy buckets they surrender. Wiltjer, Sabonis and 7-footer Przemek Karnowski may overmatch a Pittsburgh team that missed the NCAA tournament last season mostly because it allowed the second most points per possession of any ACC team.

Predicted winner: Gonzaga

Zagger
11-11-2015, 12:36 PM
I'm really, really, really looking forward to this game. Great experiences for both teams - win or lose. I think it will be a tad more fun for the teams than most games. It'll be competitive but I expect to see outstanding sportsmanship on display & clean basketball. I fully believe we'll see college basketball at its best. Go Zags!

ZagNative
11-11-2015, 12:46 PM
This isn't strictly pre-game media, but it was just posted yesterday, so what the hey...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEpv1kdmnNI

Zagricultural
11-11-2015, 02:49 PM
The Dagger looks at the Pitt vs. GU match up (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/west-coast-bias--what-to-watch-for-on-opening-night-210556273.html):

Eastern Oregon coach Jared Barrett on Gonzaga: "Wiltjer is so smart with positioning and timing with his post-up game. In 15 years of coaching including 12 years in Division I, he's the best I've seen at spotting a mismatch and taking advantage. His IQ with that is off the charts and if you get caught behind him, it's a basket. ... I worry about their big lineup defensively. They started Sabonis on our two guard. I know he's agile and moves well for a big man, but against better teams that's going to be a really hard matchup. If they're not going to go zone starting those three, some teams are going to cause problems. ... I liked [Josh Perkins] the best out of all their guards. He gets their bigs the ball whenever he can. [Kevin] Pangos last year was more of a score-first guy, but Perkins makes it really easy for their bigs to score. ... Teams are going to pack in their defenses against Gonzaga and dare those wings to shoot. [Eric] McClellan, Silas Melson and Kyle Dranginis went a combined 1-for-14 against us on threes. I know they're probably better shooters than that, but they're streaky. If you can help more on their posts and risk closing out late on their shooters, I think that's preferable. ... They put McClellan on my point guard, who's our leading scorer, and our point guard said he was just OK. Coach Few knows better since he sees him every day in practice, but in the one game we played against him, we didn't see [him as a defensive stopper]. He's going to have to be better."

I thought this was exactly what I saw in the exhibition as well. Thoughts?

seacatfan
11-11-2015, 03:02 PM
That's funny, someone linked Coach Barrett's comments in another thread. As far as Sabonis not being able to guard a wing on the perimeter, that was quite obvious and most of us knew that before the game. Very complimentary of Wiltjer. I honestly wasn't watching McClellan closely on D. There weren't any concerns about him playing D last year, so I think I'd take that one with a grain of salt. While I'm expecting Perkins to do a great job of leading the team as the PG this year, I also think the EOU coach's comment about Pangos being more of a score first PG is totally wrong, at least his Sr. year. We've all seen what he can do, if he was focused on scoring he would've been in the 15+ ppg range last year, not 11. That's a fairly big difference. Also 5 apg is a decent number. How much time did Coach Barrett spend watching Pangos last year? I would assume during the season he was busy...coaching his own team probably? I said the same in the other thread, some of the comments seem a bit strange. Goes beyond talking about the game between GU and EOU and gets into speculating about how the rest of GU's season might unfold. Whey did he feel that was necessary?

Zagricultural
11-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Goes beyond talking about the game between GU and EOU and gets into speculating about how the rest of GU's season might unfold. Whey did he feel that was necessary?

He was asked to do that for a preview on GU. down at the bottom of the article.

seacatfan
11-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Okay, that makes more sense now. I scrolled thru and glanced at the comments from the various coaches. This may come off as cranky but I don't really see the value in asking a bunch of NAIA or D2 coaches to offer their opinion of a D1 team that crushed their team in an exhibition game. Sample size of 1 game is quite small and plus there are just some physical mismatches. Oh well...

ZagNative
11-13-2015, 09:51 AM
Andy Katz Interview of Mark Few (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14118886)

SWZag
11-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Gozags.com: No. 9/11 Gonzaga (0-0) vs. Pittsburgh (0-0) (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111215aaa.html)

SERIES: First-ever meeting
FIRST MEETING: First-ever meeting
LAST MEETING: First-ever meeting

Pitt to face tough challenge in Top Ten Gonzaga team (http://www.cardiachill.com/2015/11/13/9726936/pitt-vs-gonzaga-basketball-preview-pittsburgh-panthers-bulldogs-2015)

Overall, I think Gonzaga's size is a problem, though. To win, Pitt will need to play a virtually perfect game (think North Carolina last year). Possible, just not probable in my estimation.

RenoZag
11-13-2015, 12:39 PM
From the second linked story above:

Pitt hasn't been a great three-point shooting team in the past but with the new guards in play as well as Luther, who is a capable shooting big man, I wonder if Pitt will be more aggressive beyond the arc tonight.

I wonder which Pitt player will go off on 3PT FG tonight ? Seem like there's always somebody who gets his career high vs. Gonzaga. . .

strikenowhere
11-13-2015, 12:55 PM
From the second linked story above:

I wonder which Pitt player will go off on 3PT FG tonight ? Seem like there's always somebody who gets his career high vs. Gonzaga. . .

Probably whatever small forward is getting guarded by Wiltjer or Sabonis when the big three are out on the floor together :/

Section 116
11-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Karnowski tweet: https://instagram.com/p/-Cseqnm4JY/

ZagNative
11-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Not really press, but this tweet tickled me:

Kevin Pangos ‏@KPangos

So this is what it feels like to be a fan... I'm looking at the clock every 2 mins to see if it's game time yet ���� #57minsleft #GoZags