PDA

View Full Version : Heister?

jazzdelmar
11-08-2015, 10:50 AM
So, Heister? No morning after thoughts?

Chicken Ball
11-08-2015, 11:01 AM
So, Heister? No morning after thoughts?

Ugh. He was far more interested in talking about whether pressure will be too much for Wiltjer given all the preseason accolades than, you know, calling the game.

Zagceo
11-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Not much to say.

Heister is treated like endangered species with diplomatic immunity………………

spike_jr
11-08-2015, 11:20 AM
With him announcing, it increases the value of and demand for season tickets! Maybe GU has a method for the madness??

ZagNative
11-08-2015, 11:29 AM
I just sent an e-mail to Mike Roth at roth@athletics.gonzaga.edu. Can't take Heister any more. You know it's funny, because I don't think he was always annoying as he is now. Someone in the game thread speculated about whether alcohol might be to blame. It would be nice if fixing his behavior were as easy as keeping him off the sauce before games.

djdallaszag
11-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Thought his comment about not having a controversy this year and Dan's response was funny. Personally, I like the guy and his long ties to the program. Though I did find his rant on Sabonis' father over the top last year. Also, find it much better without Ehlo. Fox does a great job of bringing us back to the game when needed IMO...

ZAGGED OUT
11-08-2015, 11:37 AM
What's new. It's not like we expected him to all of a sudden be a good color commentator this year. They really just need to turn it over to Dickau and Fox, but it will probably never happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zag buddy
11-08-2015, 11:41 AM
zagnative I just tried to send an e-mail to Roth at your link and it did not work.

seacatfan
11-08-2015, 11:45 AM
It's kind of unbelievable that Heister has been doing Zags broadcasts as long as he has, should've been replaced LONG ago. If it hasn't happened already, it's probably not going to happen. Heister with anybody is a bad broadcasting team, but the threesome of Heister, Fox and Dickau seems particularly clunky. Too many by one, no reason for 3 voices jabbering and arguing incessantly.

Therunner
11-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Morning after?

I'm sure Heister is hungover.

He seemed almost tipsy last night. More out of sorts, random, and brash than usual.

I don't want to speculate or cause any rumors, yet I wouldn't be surprised to find a flask in his right coat pocket. Just sayin'.

TheZagPhish
11-08-2015, 11:47 AM
I just sent an e-mail to Mike Roth at roth@athletics.gonzaga.edu. Can't take Heister any more. You know it's funny, because I don't think he was always annoying as he is now. Someone in the game thread speculated about whether alcohol might be to blame. It would be nice if fixing his behavior were as easy as keeping him off the sauce before games.

Interesting. He did bust out a, "I love you, guys" last night.

bigblahla
11-08-2015, 11:52 AM
DD loves Heister...has a total different outlook on what he brings to the broadcast....instead of being annoyed he's amused...described it as one of Heister's endearing traits but not in those words. The ability to get so lost on a topic he really is lost and is unaware of it...definite counter to DD and Foxxey...if I remember correctly one of the comments was he adds color...for my part that is undeniable....since hearing his opinion I've changed my views of Heister. I now see him as part serious broadcaster, part affable ignorant buffoon....to be looked at solely as entertainment....much more palatable....

No denying his loyalty to the program...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagNative
11-08-2015, 11:54 AM
zagnative I just tried to send an e-mail to Roth at your link and it did not work.Mine seemed to go okay. Here's where I copied it from: http://www.gozags.com/genrel/mike_roth_969736.html

seacatfan
11-08-2015, 12:04 PM
DD loves Heister...has a total different outlook on what he brings to the broadcast....instead of being annoyed he's amused...described it as one of Heister's endearing traits but not in those words. The ability to get so lost on a topic he really is lost and is unaware of it...definite counter to DD and Foxxey...if I remember correctly one of the comments was he adds color...for my part that is undeniable....since hearing his opinion I've changed my views of Heister. I now see him as part serious broadcaster, part affable, ignorant buffoon....to be looked at solely as entertainment....much more palatable....

No denying his loyalty to the program...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

That's a different way to look at it. I also think Bill Walton is an embarrassment to the broadcasting profession, but some love him. I guess it depends on how much color you want with the broadcast. I prefer to err towards professionalism and keeping it on topic (like, you know, the game that is happening currently...) rather than random meandering musings of some guy who could be your weird uncle or something.

hushpuppy
11-08-2015, 12:26 PM
The problem is that Heister isn't the color commentator. We have two of those in Fox and Dickau. Someone needs to do the play-by-play. If you don't keep your eyes on the screen, you can't even begin to follow what's going on about 80% of the time.

Rangerzag
11-08-2015, 12:39 PM
The problem is that Heister isn't the color commentator. We have two of those in Fox and Dickau. Someone needs to do the play-by-play. If you don't keep your eyes on the screen, you can't even begin to follow what's going on about 80% of the time.

It is completely inappropriate for one of the color guys to need to interrupt the conversation to interject "Guys did you just see the great block by Edwards?"

23dpg
11-08-2015, 12:44 PM
I was thinking maybe a small TIA.
I hate to rip on the guy, he's probably a great man, but he is just so bad.

webspinnre
11-08-2015, 01:28 PM
He was worse than ever. And I agree with ranger that the color guys shouldn't be responsible for pointing out what just happened in the game. I could hear the two of them rolling their eyes over the radio.

ZagsGoZags
11-08-2015, 01:56 PM
It's kind of unbelievable that Heister has been doing Zags broadcasts as long as he has, should've been replaced LONG ago. If it hasn't happened already, it's probably not going to happen. Heister with anybody is a bad broadcasting team, but the threesome of Heister, Fox and Dickau seems particularly clunky. Too many by one, no reason for 3 voices jabbering and arguing incessantly.

I don't find Dan and Richard to be 'jabbering and arguing' I would only reserve that adjective for Heister. He is stuck in something like a 7th grade boy's one upsmanship type of personality. Dan was making a point about Sabonis, when an interesting play developed in the corner, and Heister jumps in loudly interrupting saying something like "you didn't see that did you Dickau" - really juvenile games playing. This may be the one area left where GU critics could legitimately label us as 'bush league' except that probably sportscasters in Jackson hole Wyoming or Miles Montana would probably have more class then Heister. Does his dad own KHQ or something?

KStyles
11-08-2015, 01:56 PM
zagnative I just tried to send an e-mail to Roth at your link and it did not work.

roth@gonzaga.edu might work

http://www.gozags.com/staffdir/gonz-staffdir.html

MDABE80
11-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Trouble with Greg ( and I don't know the reason) is that the others are describing the action on the court very well and then he just interrupts or jumps in with something only sort of related. When I was a lot younger , I used to frequents bars to watch games, that always happens. Some guy whose reality is his own, frequently would just pop up, say something and then drift off. And I don't think Greg's one of those guys in the bars but he's got that characteristic.
At this level of basketball, I do think we could do better. People all over the country actually watch our games. We should be displaying professionalism.

DixieZag
11-08-2015, 02:34 PM
One big improvement; Never allow him to say the world "rank" on the program. No, "where does he rank on the . . . ?" In fact, don't let him ask the color guys anything. No questions, none.

Two: Talk to each coach 2 days before the game, ask 2 questions of each, write down answer, same with players. Throughout game, mention "I asked Coach about how KW was working on . . . . " or "Perkins told me that he's trying to . . . . "

Three: Describe what just happened. "Karnowski called with the foul" And then let commenters comment.

that's it. Those 3 things is all he would need to do to be perfectly suitable broadcaster and please don't fall for the "It's hard to . . . . " No, it's not that hard.

bartruff1
11-08-2015, 02:39 PM
Really, that is intolerable ...he is a distraction from the game...a annoying distraction....I intend to complain to the people who can make changes...that's enough already.

Hoopaholic
11-08-2015, 02:54 PM
chops the game up
distracts from the actual play on the court
attempts to create engagement with color guys by throwing out negatives (devil advocate approach), which actually has a negative impact on the game and the program
rarely discusses the flow of the game and actual content of what is occuring as it relates to off season work
constantly wants to compare past to present (while this has a role pre game, post game maybe at half to fill void) it does not belong during the broadcast
tends to focus in on single player for constant comment

THEN it is Wash, rinse and repeat which gets really old

It really got on my nerves lasting night trying to create a picture that Wiltjer and his All American/Player of year awards were not worthy instead of congratulating and allowing color to fill in why it is a positve for both player, team and program, instead he continued on multiple times to raise this even after the color gave their input

vandalzag
11-08-2015, 03:04 PM
You have to wonder just what the IMG folks are doing. It really baffles me that they could let him continue. With a small arena them majority of supporters will be interacting via the television and what they are experiencing is just amateur hour. My 10 year old daughter asked if the guy talking all the time realized there was a basketball game going on in. My only guess is he has some great fishing spots that only he can access and he leverages those with Few to keep his job.
On another note I like the super big scoreboard that KHQ has come up with. Being able to see the whole court was really annoying.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
11-08-2015, 03:44 PM
that's it. Those 3 things is all he would need to do to be perfectly suitable broadcaster and please don't fall for the "It's hard to . . . . " No, it's not that hard.[/QUOTE]

Former broadcaster here...it's a really, really hard job.

That said, Heister is really, really bad at it.

Zag 77
11-08-2015, 04:27 PM
After listening to him for a few years I thought I had pretty well gotten used to him, but last night was a new low as far as stupid babbling about irrelevant things.

zagbeliever
11-08-2015, 05:01 PM

That is exactly the problem! He would be tolerable if he threw in a comment here and there but we need a real play by play guy in charge.

maynard g krebs
11-08-2015, 05:06 PM
That's a different way to look at it. I also think Bill Walton is an embarrassment to the broadcasting profession, but some love him. I guess it depends on how much color you want with the broadcast. I prefer to err towards professionalism and keeping it on topic (like, you know, the game that is happening currently...) rather than random meandering musings of some guy who could be your weird uncle or something.

There's a fundamental difference between Walton and Heister. Walton understands basketball at a very high level and provides insight. Heister proved with his Sabonis the elder comments last year that he understands basketball about as well as a turnip does. And that may be an insult to turnips, who lack the capacity for speech, so it's an open question.

I love Walton, probably because I'm as wacky as he is, but can understand why many don't. But it's way off base to compare him to Heister, whose presence is an insult to the sport. Bill is on a major network because he has a lot of fan support.

RenoZag
11-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Ugh. He was far more interested in talking about whether pressure will be too much for Wiltjer given all the preseason accolades than, you know, calling the game.

This.

I've given up hope that Heister will be replaced. He has the attention span of a teenager. If announcers had an RPI, he would be in the 300's.

So it goes.

maynard g krebs
11-08-2015, 05:13 PM
He is stuck in something like a 7th grade boy's one upsmanship type of personality.

Very much like Nelson Muntz, Bart Simpson's nemesis.

seacatfan
11-08-2015, 05:14 PM
There's a fundamental difference between Walton and Heister. Walton understands basketball at a very high level and provides insight. Heister proved with his Sabonis the elder comments last year that he understands basketball about as well as a turnip does. And that may be an insult to turnips, who lack the capacity for speech, so it's an open question.

I love Walton, probably because I'm as wacky as he is, but can understand why many don't. But it's way off base to compare him to Heister, whose presence is an insult to the sport. Bill is on a major network because he has a lot of fan support.

Walton certainly knows way more about basketball than Heister does, and he is a luminary of the sport with his college and professional career as a player. But he is given way too much leeway to ramble on about the desert, and the beach, and his dog, and Grateful Dead concerts, etc. etc. Oh yeah, and Linda Ronstadt.

ZagNative
11-08-2015, 05:24 PM
I love Bill Walton.

sage
11-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Would it be to much to ask for one of the three to fill us in on fouls? I can SEE that the game's been stopped...but who/why?? How many fouls do they have ????

OK, partly my fault because I have the sound turned waaaaaaay down

Corky
11-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Not much to say.

Heister is treated like endangered feces with diplomatic immunity………………

Fixed that for you

wiszag
11-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Heister appears to be a nice man. I don't know if it is the editing or the format but his interviews on Mark Few's show are actually pretty decent. As a commentator on live broadcasts, he's awful. The problem is that he's so damned likable that it sucks to criticize him. He has a set of skills that could work for a half time show but not for an in-game broadcast. They need to focus on what he can do and eliminate what he can't.

ZagNative
11-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Heister appears to be a nice man. I don't know if it is the editing or the format but his interviews on Mark Few's show are actually pretty decent. As a commentator on live broadcasts, he's awful. The problem is that he's so damned likable that it sucks to criticize him. He has a set of skills that could work for a half time show but not for an in-game broadcast. They need to focus on what he can do and eliminate what he can't.Perfect analysis! I do like Heister on the Mark Few Show. It's only as a play-by-play guy that he annoys me.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-08-2015, 06:06 PM
I want to derail the Heister thread the way he derails a good basketball viewing experience.

So who is your favorite college hoops commentator of all time?

Mine is Bill Raftery with Al McGuire a very close second.

bartruff1
11-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Gus Johnson

seacatfan
11-08-2015, 06:32 PM
I love Bill Walton.

I have to assume you didn't have to listen to him as often as I have the last several years. His schtick gets really old, not much different than Dickie V.

Steve Lavin was hired by Pac 12 Network, did the UA game tonight. I can only hope I get to hear a lot more Lavin and a lot less Walton this season.

Hoopaholic
11-08-2015, 06:36 PM

fundamental difference is Walton is the color commentary, Heister is the primary caller two different roles and functions

Zag 77
11-08-2015, 07:14 PM
I wish we could have gotten Bud Nameck after he was released by Wazzu. Bud is a former GU Sports Information Director at GU. I am harboring a small hope that someday Heister's contract will run out. He can't really have a infinite contract, can he?

ZagLawGrad
11-08-2015, 07:16 PM
I have to assume you didn't have to listen to him as often as I have the last several years. His schtick gets really old, not much different than Dickie V.

Steve Lavin was hired by Pac 12 Network, did the UA game tonight. I can only hope I get to hear a lot more Lavin and a lot less Walton this season.

I'll take Walton any day of the week over Lavin. Walton is nothing like that goofy Heister.

sittingon50
11-08-2015, 09:40 PM
I love Bill Walton.

+1

hooter73
11-08-2015, 10:04 PM
I caught the mark few show an hour or so ago. That he has his own show is a travesty. seriously said something to the effect of "buckle up your... chin straps" while obviously looking confused on how to end the thought ince he started, and it made it on television.

He's always reminded me of Farva from the movie super troopers. Farva And Thorny are talking about what thorny is going to do when they get fired and Farva interrupts to talk about himself, obvious that he wasn't listening and didn't care about anything else.

Sam Adams did a great job as a fill in last year when heister got his talking too after his Sabonis triad (reading between the lines).

ZagDaddy
11-09-2015, 06:44 AM
That was arguably the worst called game I've ever experienced. I've heard small town radio announcers cover high school sports more professionally than that. There was no play-by-play to speak of with players entering and exiting the game without the broadcasters even noticing. I felt as if I was listening to a sports radio talk show that happened to have a basketball game on in the background. I guess I'll have to mute the TV and follow the live stats on my phone as I watch the games this year. That's a whole lot better than the listening to Saturday's debacle all season long.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Walton certainly knows way more about basketball than Heister does, and he is a luminary of the sport with his college and professional career as a player. But he is given way too much leeway to ramble on about the desert, and the beach, and his dog, and Grateful Dead concerts, etc. etc. Oh yeah, and Linda Ronstadt.

I prefer this by a large margin to our play by play guy slandering the father of one of our players or going on and on about how undeserving our best player is of his preseason accolades.

ZAGGED OUT
11-09-2015, 07:30 AM
fundamental difference is Walton is the color commentary, Heister is the primary caller two different roles and functions

Problem is, 87% of the time, I can't even tell that Heister is the primary caller.

DixieZag
11-09-2015, 07:35 AM
You know it's bad when it is the first game of the year, first time to see many of those guys in uniform and I'm switching back over to the UW v. Utah football game.

Now imagine the casual fan.

Psychozag
11-09-2015, 08:11 AM
If this is a protest, I want my voice to be heard. Heister needs to go. As a play-by-play guy, he never talks about anything happening on the court. And this is a choice he makes for GU games. I watched him do an ESPN game, and he did what he was supposed to do. He gave information about what was happening on the court, and then threw it to the color commentator for analysis. His voice was even different...less monster-truck guy. He wants to be a star when he does the GU games, and feels the basketball should take a back seat to his personality.

bartruff1
11-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Call or email the sponsors and the Administration and Athletic Department....it doesn't do any good to complain in here.

hooter73
11-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Call or email the sponsors and the Administration and Athletic Department....it doesn't do any good to complain in here.

Agree. Write those emails.

Also agree with his voice being the Monster Truck announcer lmao :)

seacatfan
11-09-2015, 10:31 AM
I prefer this by a large margin to our play by play guy slandering the father of one of our players or going on and on about how undeserving our best player is of his preseason accolades.

Don't get me wrong, Heister is definitely worse than Walton. I think they are both bad and a distraction, totally unprofessional. I would be happy if I never heard either during a game broadcast ever again.

seacatfan
11-09-2015, 10:32 AM
I watched him do an ESPN game, and he did what he was supposed to do. He gave information about what was happening on the court, and then threw it to the color commentator for analysis. His voice was even different...less monster-truck guy. He wants to be a star when he does the GU games, and feels the basketball should take a back seat to his personality.

I noticed that at some point last year as well. Makes it all the more offensive that he is capable of performing his duties adequately and chooses not to during GU games.

mgadfly
11-09-2015, 10:45 AM
I just watch Best in Show on November 1st every year to start getting inoculated to the Heister style commentary.

A short sample, but it keeps going in the actual movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GaJPgI3jh4

maynard g krebs
11-09-2015, 11:08 AM
I just watch Best in Show on November 1st every year to start getting inoculated to the Heister style commentary.

A short sample, but it keeps going in the actual movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GaJPgI3jh4

Post of the year, if not the century or millenium. Gonna be laughing all day. Can't thank you enough.

If Heister had the comedic genius of Fred Willard, nobody would be complaining. Can only wish.

maynard g krebs
11-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Don't get me wrong, Heister is definitely worse than Walton. I think they are both bad and a distraction, totally unprofessional. I would be happy if I never heard either during a game broadcast ever again.

Listening to Bill is probably like watching Dock Ellis pitch his no hitter on LSD, while also giving up 10 walks.

I get where you're coming from, because I don't like listening to Vitale, who I find annoying. Now, Vitale and Walton as co-color men, both on acid, and you'd have some entertainment.

seacatfan
11-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Listening to Bill is probably like watching Dock Ellis pitch his no hitter on LSD, while also giving up 10 walks.

I get where you're coming from, because I don't like listening to Vitale, who I find annoying. Now, Vitale and Walton as co-color men, both on acid, and you'd have some entertainment.

Vitale and Walton on acid, or the listening public on acid? Or all of the above?

seacatfan
11-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Nice call on "Best in Show." Fred Willard is extremely annoying (in a funny way) in that clip, yet no more so than Heister? Maybe Willard is available to do Zags broadcasts.

My all time favorite fictitious broadcasting duo from a movie is Jason Bateman (hilariously zany, out there, inappropriate, with an occasional stunning grasp of the obvious) and Gary Cole as Pepper Brooks and Cotton McKnight in "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story." I don't have a clip, but those 2 absolutely make the movie.

Also Will Arnett and Andrew Daly are classic in the Will Ferrell ABA farce "Semi-Pro."

mgadfly
11-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Nice call on "Best in Show." Fred Willard is extremely annoying (in a funny way) in that clip, yet no more so than Heister? Maybe Willard is available to do Zags broadcasts.

My all time favorite fictitious broadcasting duo from a movie is Jason Bateman (hilariously zany, out there, inappropriate, with an occasional stunning grasp of the obvious) and Gary Cole as Pepper Brooks and Cotton McKnight in "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story." I don't have a clip, but those 2 absolutely make the movie.

Also Will Arnett and Andrew Daly are classic in the Will Ferrell ABA farce "Semi-Pro."

That's a good one too! I like the Best in Show because it reminds me so much of Heister though. There is another part where he stops talking about the contest and asks the other broadcaster if he knows how much he can bench press that is so Heister-esque it's unbelievable (Willard's character also tells a joke about his proctologist and the commentator deadpans, "Yes, I remember you saying that last year" that gets me laughing every time.).

maynard g krebs
11-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Vitale and Walton on acid, or the listening public on acid? Or all of the above?

Vitale and Walton. Guaranteed to produce flashbacks in some of the listening audience.

Favorite from the Big Lebowski:

Maude Lebowski: "tell me about yourself, Jeffrey. What do you do for entertainment?"

J Lebowski: "oh, the usual. Bowl, drive around, the occasional acid flashback".

Heister's got a little bit of Walter Sobchak in him too, come to think of it.

seacatfan
11-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Maybe Heister has been modeling himself after Fred Willard all this time? The movie came out in 2000, not sure how long Heister has been doing Zag broadcasts. I sincerely hope I haven't been listening to him for 15 years!

I know that was ESPN games and not Fox/ROOT/whatever, but I really miss Stephen Bardo doing some Zags games. He was great.

seacatfan
11-09-2015, 11:43 AM
The best zingers I can think of from Dodgeball:

when Vince Vaughn blindfolds himself Pepper astutely notes "He will not be able to see very well, Cotton."

or when Average Joe's is forced to forfeit the championship game "It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for them."

or when Average Joe's isn't on the court during warmups "They're definitely not on the court, Cotton. Their absence is noticeable."