PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Forums

Zagdawg
11-08-2015, 06:24 AM
Some good info there--some knowledgeable posters: Here is a good post--more at link below--

"Well, our game in Okinawa against Gonzaga is less than a week away now.

AND, there is the matter of Gonzaga having the best trio of inside players in the country, and then there is the matter of Mark Few planning on playing them all at the same time... which means the 6'10" Kyle Wiltjer is gonna be playing SF for them.

Uh... if I were Dixon... I would assign Maia to Kawnowski, ANO to Sabonis, and Mike Young to Wiltjer, and play them where the Zag bigs play. This would mean we would probably end up staring all three of Maia, ANO and Young, with Young starting the game at SF.

Of these three matchups, Sabonis is their best inside player but ANO should be able to do as good a job as possible against him. As far as Young is concerned, should be able to handle SF as good as Wiltjer so it is a matter of whether MY keeps up with him or not. However, Rafael would be giving up 4 inches and 40 pounds to Karnowski and that makes for a difficult matchup for sure and... I am not sure any scheme of doubling the post is gonna do any good given their other bigs. Yeah, they may move Wiltjer inside some but then again they have another big who is 7'1" and.... 290 (!) and he is probably gonna be spelling Karnowski.

I would not try to cover Wiltjer with either Artis or Jeter... and their suspect D. So, these two would only get into the game when Wiltjer sits or moves inside... which is gonna happen.

Uh... I still got no answer for Karnowski so you may indeed have to double the post... which means you might end up with Smith or Slim covering Wiltjer. Slim got the size he could probably do it.

Dixon... has not impressed me in the past as willing to change his rotation based on what an opponent has... so I am not expecting this but... IMO if we go in there with our normal rotation... the Zags are gonna kill us inside.

So, guess we are just gonna have to see.

1 Zaratoughda, Yesterday at 8:56 AM"

http://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/forums/basketball-board.26/

http://www.scout.com/college/pittsburgh/forums/2456-pride-of-the-pete

Zagdawg
11-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Looking like a poster over there has the same old mindset-- "Gonzaga plays in the WCC therefore they are not that good" ---I hope the Pitt players are of the same mindset.

Per Pittx9
"#8 or #9 strongest conference is a bad conference. I'll give you they do play some good OOC games. But Gonzaga would not be a top team in the ACC or any other big conference. Like I said though, I think this Gonzaga team should really end up being their best. They're gonna present some real matchup problems for just about any team they play this year.

My only point was Pitt and Gonzaga both have not fared well in the big dance. Pitt at least can point to the fact they were consistently one of the best, if not the best team in the Big East annually. Gonzaga winning their weak conference doesn't say too much to me. Nonetheless, Mark Few has done a great job there and is a very good coach."

A quick glance of the dance stats shows that Pitt has had qty 9 top 5 seeds in the dance which has resulted in qty 4 sweet 16 and qty 1 elite 8 since our run began in 99.

Gonzaga has had qty 6 top 5 seeds which resulted in qty 4 sweet 16 and qty 2 elite 8's.

The Zags have been doing fine with the hands they have been dealt.

MDABE80
11-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Noting the obvious though: Conference doesn't matter when it's not begun yet. Trying to translate the WCC to a bunch of unworthy Zags is not only a stretch, it's illogical. This guy should call CBS, ESPN, and so on, to tell them we're over hyped BECAUSE in 7 weeks we'll be playing in the WCC.

It's kind of comical. One thing though. I really like Ryan Edwards work last night. He's coming along nicely. Just some more experience and he'll more than make up for deficiencies noted over the past few years. EMAC will challenge everyone we play this year. He's just a cut above. Watch him.

Zagceo
11-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Pitt poster put this out………….kinda strange but I could understand with the destination and all……..anyone confirm?

Dixon says we leave Tuesday morning. As I here it there is the flight to SF and then to Tokyo and then to Okinawa... and on the last two legs... both teams are on the same plane.

seacatfan
11-09-2015, 10:35 AM
Why would a Pitt poster be bragging up how they did in the Big East Conference when they are now in the ACC and have been for several seasons? Their performance in their new home has been underwhelming.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Why would a Pitt poster be bragging up how they did in the Big East Conference when they are now in the ACC and have been for several seasons? Their performance in their new home has been underwhelming.

Oh, did you not hear? 2015 Zags are playing an All-Star team of Pitt's best players from their Big East days (when they were relevant). Several time machines have been commissioned to bring in all these great players during their primes!

hooter73
11-09-2015, 10:55 AM
If both the coaches are on good terms I bet the teams will actually be doing a lot of things together. Sure they will be battling like its life or death on the court, but they are there together to play for the armed services in a foreign country. Even if they arent on the same plane I'd bet they'll be joining up together at some point.

CDC84
11-09-2015, 11:15 AM
FWIW....Pitt is picked to finish 10th in the ACC by the coaches.

seacatfan
11-09-2015, 11:28 AM
Oh, did you not hear? 2015 Zags are playing an All-Star team of Pitt's best players from their Big East days (when they were relevant). Several time machines have been commissioned to bring in all these great players during their primes!

Can the Zags snag some of those time machines? Imagine Morrison, Wiltjer and Olynk all lighting it up simultaneously. Pick any combination of guards/wings. Maybe Calvary or Ronny or somebody like that for some toughness off the bench. Wouldn't be enough basketballs for everybody to get their shots. Maybe the two teams could agree to allow two balls to be in play throughout the game? Now that would be fun.

willandi
11-09-2015, 11:32 AM

They are picked 10th out of 15, the Zags, 10th from last...just to put it into perspective

Chicken Ball
11-09-2015, 12:33 PM

Also, they're starting the year 7th in the ACC according to KenPom.

ZagsGoZags
11-09-2015, 05:27 PM
I didn't know GU had such a reputation as a collection of international players. On the Pitt board they are discussing the pros and cons of having the two returning teams on the same plane, some celebrating while the other team broods. One post says no need to worry about that because:

"Crapsake. Most of their kids don't speak English. It's not like there are 30 shuttles a day from there to Tokyo."

DixieZag
11-09-2015, 06:06 PM
I didn't know GU had such a reputation as a collection of international players. On the Pitt board they are discussing the pros and cons of having the two returning teams on the same plane, some celebrating while the other team broods. One post says no need to worry about that because:

"Crapsake. Most of their kids don't speak English. It's not like there are 30 shuttles a day from there to Tokyo."

I'm trying to recall if we've had one negative post about Pitt and its players, anything beyond just noting strengths/weaknesses.

One feels a little bit of compensating going on.

Not like I'm sure we're going to win, but it doesn't seem like we need to drag a team down to feel better about ourselves. Except maybe the UW, but that's more just for fun than anything, not really needing it, just, you know.

sittingon50
11-09-2015, 08:00 PM
"Crapsake. Most of their kids don't speak English."

Well, if most of their kids are from the Northeast then that should pretty much even it out.

(No offense, Jazz ;))

Jazzgirl_127
11-10-2015, 10:53 AM

As a native Pittsburgher (and I really, really do love my town and embrace our unique lexicon) I think it's only fitting that I point out (all in good fun of course) that quite a few Pitt fans have a very interesting grasp of the English language themselves :p

SWZag
11-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Pitt poster put this out………….kinda strange but I could understand with the destination and all……..anyone confirm?

Too bad there couldn't have been a more direct flight scheduled, i.e. Seattle -> Tokyo.

Mantua
11-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Okinawa is about 950 miles from Tokyo! They are going to need to sleep for a couple days when they get home.

jazzdelmar
11-10-2015, 01:34 PM

Well, if most of their kids are from the Northeast then that should pretty much even it out.

(No offense, Jazz ;))

None taken. Pitt was at its best when it got a steady flow of NYC and Brooklyn kids. Not recently since it lost its top assistant w city connections. My DIL is from the Burgh and she and my son married on campus at the Heinz chapel. Great school.

DixieZag
11-10-2015, 01:38 PM
Too bad there couldn't have been a more direct flight scheduled, i.e. Seattle -> Tokyo.

Seattle to Tapei, which is actually a lot closer to Okinawa, (further flight from Seattle). But, not sure if they have to clear customs in both countries. They could have gone Seattle - Tapei in one flight, then an hour hop to Okinawa.

sittingon50
11-13-2015, 11:59 AM
http://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/the-real-point-spread.35432/