PDA

View Full Version : EOU Postgame Reaction and Outlook for 2015 Armed Forces Classic vs Pitt in Japan

Zag4Hire
11-08-2015, 05:18 AM
Obvious the big item on the docket is Sabonis. As Sec 116 observed, it may be best depending on the diagnosis today to just leave Sabs stateside as opposed to aggravating the injury either due to the length of flight, in game action, or both. I think we all know it will take a small army to keep Sabs off that flight but we will see.

Some pleasant surprises and the first one for me for Edwards. Wow, what a great court presence, really in control with the basketball, and playing like a big man should on both ends of court (not leaving his feet for guards running lane, not forcing contact down low when didn't have position, etc.). I can see him coming in to play quality minutes during WCC play if any of the premier 3 bigs have an off-night or foul trouble. It would be nice to get him in the rotation. With the loss of PANG! & GBJ, E-Mac will be leading the effort to uphold the mantle for GU to mean 'Guard U'. He looks like a potential WCC 1st team. Granted the game was vs EOU but he had good explosive moves off the dribble and knew when to penetrate. He is looking like a 10PPG & 4APG guy this year.

Broken Record: FTs (19-29). This will be the difference between a W or L in some of the serious OOC games on the docket.

Outlook for Gonzaga's first basketball game ever vs Pitt. Zags can't play style-wise like last game vs Pitt (chucking up 3-balls & give up a good amount of OREBs). We know Pitt is hungry for the big win and Dixon does a good job of prepping his teams for big games. I don't know too much about this year's Pitt squad but if it is like any recent Pitt team, you can count on athleticism and tenacity in the post. Pitt teams typically are more than solid when they can augment their frontcourt presence with a savvy guard i.e. Carl Krauser.

The one thing of note is there is always a lot of talk of how difficult it is to play in the football stadiums come March Madness but this will be at Camp Foster. In viewing some of the recent AFC games, it takes quite a bit to acclimation for the teams including the heat/humidity for last year's game. The prospective forecast in Okinawa will be around 81 with humidity over 70. This could be a bit uncomfortable and may come down to conditioning. Hope the boys drink a ton of water before and during the game.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-08-2015, 06:01 AM
Impressions from the exhibition game:

It is hard to tell much from watching a really good team blow out an undermatched opponent, but I saw some things that I liked and some reasons for concern.

1. I didn't like the lineup with the "Big Three" on the court together. Eastern Oregon jumped out to an early lead while the Zag offense sputtered during the opening minutes. It seemed like our first run coincided with Dranginis entering the game. If anything, the team looked sharper with four guards and Wiltjer than it did with Karnowski, Sabonis, and Wiltjer playing together.

2. Three-point shooting is a concern. If the Gozags.com box score is right, we shot 5-31 from downtown for the game. As a former Criminal Justice major, I have a hard time calculating advanced math, like shooting percentages, but I'm pretty sure that ain't none too good. A lot of the shots were open, but guys were shooting rushed, off-balance shots. If this doesn't get better, our offense will suffer.

3. Defense and rebounding look like the team's strengths. That should not be a surprise with the size and athleticism that this team has.

4. The back end of the bench played well. Edwards is smooth for a player with his size. He has nice hands and footwork and decent court vision. He would start for a lot of teams in the WCC. His emergence will allow Sabonis to rest and heal. Triano played with poise and confidence. He's quicker than I remember. He should be a decent player in limited minutes.

5. EMac played really well within the role he has defined for himself. He is a quick, aggressive defender that should be able to force a lot of bad shots and turnovers from opposing guards. Offensively, he showed a few ways to score without forcing a bad shot. He attacked the crease when it was available. He took open shots when they were there. He should be a candidate for the All-WCC team.

I hope that Sabonis heals quickly.

The box score is below.

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/gonmbbex.html

CdAZagFan
11-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Was super impressed with EMac's intensity last night. Edwards should be more than serviceable as a fill-in for Karnoski. Love Perkins ability to pass, and I believe he will step up offensively when needed also. The three point shooting will be there this year - they have a lot of capable three point shooters.Would have liked to have seen some zone with the big 3 to see how that would look...

Hoopaholic
11-08-2015, 09:08 AM
My concern after the first game is defense. In particular our on ball defense by Perkins Nelson and Alberto they need to shore this up

Zagceo
11-08-2015, 09:18 AM
My concern after the first game is defense. In particular our on ball defense by Perkins Nelson and Alberto they need to shore this up

KD got caught ball watching w/backdoor looked bad for veteran player IMO.

raise the zag
11-08-2015, 09:26 AM

Dranginis oh Dranginis. Such a good all around player.

Just wish we saw a bit more urgency, maybe even emotion, in his game.

Seems to play a lil laisse faire-ish on occasion. Makes deflections and things happen, yet wish I felt he was more engaged.

Kinda along the same lines as Dower, so talented, but almost thinking about how they appear on the court then going all-out all the time.

I'm a big KD fan, admire his game, I just hope to see him fully committed mentally.

He gets caught looking on offense and defense as a result.

DixieZag
11-08-2015, 09:32 AM

Not a knock against KD, but he's come off the bench as a 6th man his entire career, might be best to move eMac (he's electric) to the starting line-up and let KD watch the game unfold as he has his entire career, then bring him in for one of the big 3 (if they all start) or spell eMac/JP.

Zagceo
11-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Foster Fieldhouse just reopened in 2014. Found a few pictures

CAMP FOSTER, OKINAWA, Japan -- The Camp Foster Fieldhouse, next to Gunners Fitness Center, reopened for recreational use April 10 on Camp Foster.
Renovations that kept the fieldhouse closed down for nearly two years were completed April 7, allowing the facilities to open its doors once again.

The fieldhouse closed in September 2012 due to damage caused by typhoon Bolaven. The facility sustained significant water damage, which caused a short in the electrical panel and a subsequent fire that caused additional damage, according to James M. Kassebaum, the chief marketing officer at Marine Corps Community Services Okinawa.
The Foster Fieldhouse is a multi-purpose facility that can accommodate up to 3,100 people.

http://media.dma.mil/2014/Apr/20/2000792053/640/360/0/140418-M-GX711-057.JPG

http://media.dma.mil/2014/Apr/20/2000792052/640/360/0/140418-M-GX711-055.JPG

http://media.dma.mil/2014/Apr/20/2000792054/640/360/0/140418-M-GX711-058.JPG

seacatfan
11-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Not a knock against KD, but he's come off the bench as a 6th man his entire career, might be best to move eMac (he's electric) to the starting line-up and let KD watch the game unfold as he has his entire career, then bring him in for one of the big 3 (if they all start) or spell eMac/JP.

FWIW EMac did start the exhibition game. If Sabonis is out as a starter (either due to injury or pulling the plug on the Big 3 lineup) and KD is best used as a 6th man, then either Melson or Alberts would need to start.

exclusivelee
11-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Pitts unis for the Armed Forces Classic in Japan vs GU. Hope the Zags have some special new units for the matchup

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/08/a5d7468935258ef5303786fe166d9830.jpg

jazzdelmar
11-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Dranginis oh Dranginis. Such a good all around player.

Just wish we saw a bit more urgency, maybe even emotion, in his game.

Seems to play a lil laisse faire-ish on occasion. Makes deflections and things happen, yet wish I felt he was more engaged.

Kinda along the same lines as Dower, so talented, but almost thinking about how they appear on the court then going all-out all the time.

I'm a big KD fan, admire his game, I just hope to see him fully committed mentally.

He gets caught looking on offense and defense as a result.

Raise, after 5 years in the program not likely to change now. A nice player. Not a starter on a top ten team. Few's actions speak volumes.

jim77
11-08-2015, 10:25 AM
When's the last time GU shot 5 for 31 (from 3) and won by 32? If you remove the 3 point shots we prolly shot 60% or so? We could do whatever we wanted last night...and there was nothing E Oregon could do. If we shoot a more GU like 40% from 3....we win by 50....and score 115 or 120. What I saw last night despite the poor 3pt shooting....was a point guard that knows how to pass and pass well. He also will feed guys all day long regardless of his own stats...he looked really good. Emac played well and looks even better than last year...and that's not even his greatest strength...playing in front of lotsa folks and in BIG games doesn't even phase him..very cool headed. This team doesn't have to play perfect to win...the pressure is own the other guys to counter our full arsenal....a lot of teams are gonna simply get worn down/fouled out when they play us.

Some were complaining that KW was shooting too much at the beginning of the game. My take is this: If the other team is not gonna get in his face...he can shoot all night long. He's the most dangerous shooter in college and should have the green light..and does. He was also the guy who has been known to can say 70- out of 75..and yes, he was that open. If his shots go down early...he has 40...before halftime. Not a good idea to leave KW open.....and he was open cause E Oregon hand their hands full with the other 4. Our margin of error to win is much bigger than it used to be.

I was also impressed with Edwards smooth playing style. Face it folks we got a darn good team who will get even better as the fellas get up to speed.....was impressed with the non-starters too....we are DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

My only concern is getting Sabonis back healthy.

Zag4Hire
11-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Foster Fieldhouse just reopened in 2014. Found a few pictures

http://media.dma.mil/2014/Apr/20/2000792053/640/360/0/140418-M-GX711-057.JPG

http://media.dma.mil/2014/Apr/20/2000792052/640/360/0/140418-M-GX711-055.JPG

http://media.dma.mil/2014/Apr/20/2000792054/640/360/0/140418-M-GX711-058.JPG

Thanks for pics ZCEO. Looks like a roomier and cleaner McKeon. Zags should feel right at home. I remember watching the inaugural and last year's AFC game and thinking it would be awesome to pick up and rock a Zagaflage jersey.

Zagceo
11-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Thanks for pics ZCEO. Looks like a roomier and cleaner McKeon. Zags should feel right at home. I remember watching the inaugural and last year's AFC game and thinking it would be awesome to pick up and rock a Zagaflage jersey.

I'd love a jersey to match my Zag camo hat!

Worthington
11-08-2015, 11:16 AM
My impressions...

- Wiltjer is going to average 20+ points this season, and that's going to be best for the team. Wiltjer just oozes confidence on the court. He knows that this is his year and that he's got a lot of eyes on him. He's out to prove all those people that said he's too unathletic, weak, etc. to play in the NBA wrong. If tonight's game is any indication, he's going to shoot a crazy amount, but those are going to be good shots for the team. He's just such a smart, crafty player on offense, and an effortless scorer.

- McClellan is the x-factor for this team. We've got a really young and inexperienced backcourt overall. EMac is a 5th year senior who's played at a high level for years now. He's stronger, quicker and more explosive than the young fellas he will go up against most nights, and we need him to use those advantages on a nightly basis. Moved the ball really well last night, but it was night and day from last year in his confidence in picking his spots and attacking. He's GBJ 2.0 as a perimeter defender due to his physical tools. How quick and light he is on his feet actually amazes me to watch. I think there's a legitimate chance he will be on NBA teams radars by the end of the season. Athletically, he fits in at the next level. I hope as the year progresses his will be one of the voices that emerges in a leadership role for this team.

- Perkins ran the show very well. For all the talk that he's more careless with the ball and goes for the homerun pass, I thought he played very under control and with tons of poise. That over the head pass he had in transition to Karnowski was beautiful. He looked a little hesitant to me in searching for his own shot, but with such a size advantage to exploit in the post, I'm sure Few doesn't mind that at all. As the season continues, I hope and expect to see him be more confident in taking more shots himself.

- Dranginis is still the ultimate glue guy. Those hoping to see him breakout as a star player this year probably won't get what they're looking for, but he's going to be more important to this team than stats will ever show. Fantastic on the defensive end, very good at slashing, excellent at moving the ball. Draino is a rock for this team in a year where we desperately need one.

- Karno is Karno. I keep expecting him to come back after an offseason with a few more inches of vert and just start tearing down rims, but those expectations are just unrealistic I suppose. Still going to be one of the best centers in the country and a major presence in the paint. His conditioning didn't seem to bad coming off his battle with pneumonia which is a huge relief.

- For all the talk that Melson had a poor game, I thought he actually showed a lot of improvement over last year. A couple of his shots were in and out, and if they had dropped I think we would be looking at his game in a completely different light. My biggest takeaway was how unselfishly he played. He moved the ball really well on offense, and took the shots that were given to him. Played a lot smarter overall. I think he had like one (maybe 2?) errant shots, but almost every shot he took was a good look within the flow of the offense. My thoughts on Melson were that he just never was going to be trusted in Few's offense if he didn't completely buy into moving the ball to get a better shot, and I feel much better about his role in the rotation after last night.

- Still not sure what to make of Alberts yet. I don't see a star when I watch him, but could be a very good role player. Very unselfish and a good passer. Didn't shoot the ball well, but had the green light all game long so he must be better than what he showed. I don't think he will have a huge impact this season, but I think he could very well be in the rotation. He strikes me as a poised player and someone who Few will trust on the court.

- Edwards is like Karnowski junior. Doesn't have the same size and strength, but the soft touch around the rim is there. He could start for a lot of teams in the WCC. He should get consistent minutes and be a big plus for us off the bench. I don't think he's a starting center on a top 25 team, but you never know what he could turn into by his senior season. Still looks pretty slow getting up and down the court.

- Last thing. I don't understand the 3 big lineup at all. Wiltjer is a brilliant post scorer, why have him camped out on the perimeter? Sabonis coming off the bench is one of the biggest weapons we have, why not use that to our advantage by having him punish other second units?

cjm720
11-08-2015, 11:17 AM

Emac started the game...

spike_jr
11-08-2015, 11:18 AM
I am surprised that there have been no comments in regards to the man-to-man defense we played with the big 3 starting the game. Although it was a VERY limited look, the defense was less than ideal. Sabonis was chasing a much smaller player all over the perimeter taking him out of good rebounding position and making him expend a lot of energy on D. I personally don't like the thought of either DS or KW chasing guys on defense. A zone may help, but then it would neutralize some of our rebounding advantage. I would much prefer having 40 minutes of fresh bigs. Just my humble opinion.

DixieZag
11-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Emac started the game...

Thx. Must have read somewhere that KD would.

seacatfan
11-08-2015, 11:58 AM
I am surprised that there have been no comments in regards to the man-to-man defense we played with the big 3 starting the game. Although it was a VERY limited look, the defense was less than ideal. Sabonis was chasing a much smaller player all over the perimeter taking him out of good rebounding position and making him expend a lot of energy on D. I personally don't like the thought of either DS or KW chasing guys on defense. A zone may help, but then it would neutralize some of our rebounding advantage. I would much prefer having 40 minutes of fresh bigs. Just my humble opinion.

Good point. The 3 Bigs were exposed badly on defense right away. EOU either got open 3's or drives into the lane. For all the "Few is so much smarter than all of us goofballs posting on an internet forum" talk, in this case it doesn't really appear so. It was only a brief run in an exhibition game, but it looked like the Big 3 experiment failed badly. If they can't D up a D2 team, how are they going to handle elite wings at the D1 level? They aren't, which is what us naysayers were pointing out from the get-go.

Not to mention it didn't look very good on the offensive end either. Wiltjer was reduced to being just a spot up 3 point shooter with the Big 3 lineup, as soon as they went back to a traditional lineup he started just destroying EOU inside, outside, all over the court.

willandi
11-08-2015, 12:07 PM
- Edwards is like Karnowski junior. Doesn't have the same size and strength, but the soft touch around the rim is there. He could start for a lot of teams in the WCC. He should get consistent minutes and be a big plus for us off the bench. I don't think he's a starting center on a top 25 team, but you never know what he could turn into by his senior season. Still looks pretty slow getting up and down the court.

He may not yet have the strength, but I believe he is taller and heavier than Karno. He hasn't been exposed to nearly as much ball, he is from Kalispel, didn't play AAU, and hasn't played on any national teams. He will just keep getting better.

krii
11-08-2015, 12:48 PM
He may not yet have the strength, but I believe he is taller and heavier than Karno. He hasn't been exposed to nearly as much ball, he is from Kalispel, didn't play AAU, and hasn't played on any national teams. He will just keep getting better.

He is 2 cm taller (214 cm PK and 216 cm RA) and much heavier as for now but Karno lost his weight last months.

willandi
11-08-2015, 01:09 PM
He is 2 cm taller (214 cm PK and 216 cm RA) and much heavier as for now but Karno lost his weight last months.

Thank you. I do believe that Karno will be one of the best ever at GU, but Ryan Edwrda will be right behind him. Such soft hands! He played tennis in HS so has good footwork too!

Worthington
11-08-2015, 03:20 PM

I'm sure you're probably right, but this seems hard to believe just from an eye test. Edwards doesn't strike me as nearly as imposing as Karnowski. I have hopes that Edwards can be dominant within the next couple years, just wouldn't go out on a limb and say it will happen with certainty.

seacatfan
11-08-2015, 03:27 PM
Did anyone else think Karnowski looked noticeably slimmer than he has at any other time during his GU career? It seemed pronounced to me. Or maybe it was just the beard...

Edwards still looks a bit soft around the middle, obviously a big frame similar to Karno's.

DixieZag
11-08-2015, 03:39 PM
Did anyone else think Karnowski looked noticeably slimmer than he has at any other time during his GU career? It seemed pronounced to me. Or maybe it was just the beard...

Edwards still looks a bit soft around the middle, obviously a big frame similar to Karno's.

He's much slimmer. He looked much slimmer as the summer was ending, recall some of the pictures. One wonders if the illness drained a little more off him. However, if you recall, he entered last year having lost a ton of weight over the summer and then steadily put on weight throughout the year.

It's not like it "hurt" his play, he played very well at the end of the year. Just one wonders if he's even better when he keeps lighter.

billyberu
11-08-2015, 07:50 PM
So, I was stationed at Camp Foster back in the early 90's and this has me a bit excited. I don't think the heat will be much of a factor. Yeah, it's humid there, but it's not July or August and that's when it's really hot.
Foster Fieldhouse is an old facility and would feel very much like a high school gym. Lots of stuff to do, especially off base in Okinawa City. Stay away from the bars and Awase Country Club has a great golf course. The beaches on the Pacific Ocean are generally better than the China Sea side, but Okuma resort up north is really nice. Hopefully, my Marine Corp brethren will be excellent hosts and they won't be stuck in the dilapidated squad bays that I had to live in.

WallaWallaZag
11-08-2015, 10:36 PM
So, I was stationed at Camp Foster back in the early 90's and this has me a bit excited. I don't think the heat will be much of a factor. Yeah, it's humid there, but it's not July or August and that's when it's really hot.
Foster Fieldhouse is an old facility and would feel very much like a high school gym. Lots of stuff to do, especially off base in Okinawa City. Stay away from the bars and Awase Country Club has a great golf course. The beaches on the Pacific Ocean are generally better than the China Sea side, but Okuma resort up north is really nice. Hopefully, my Marine Corp brethren will be excellent hosts and they won't be stuck in the dilapidated squad bays that I had to live in.

thanks for the insight! anyone know if the game will be open to the public or military only???

Zagger
11-09-2015, 03:33 AM
I was most impressed with Edwards. The BIG swat he whacked that one shot with was great. Seemed to come out of nowhere too - quick. He also seemed both passionate & confident (practicing with Dontmiss likely wears off on a person). Edwards also made some good shots & rebounds. It was due to Sabonis being out that we saw a bit of him. Wish it had been different but I sure liked what I saw. I feel good about Edwards against Pitt. Wouldn't surprise me if Sabonis was ready for Pitt though. You know he'll be doing what's best to heal up quickly & Zag training staff is tops.

Overall, excepting 3 pt shooting, I liked what I saw in an exhibition game. Zags are not a well oiled machine - yet. Pitt won't be either. I sure hope that's the worst 3 shooting we see all season! Wish the team had another game before Pitt - oh well! I think the Zags/Pitt game is going to be close, exciting, nail-biting and the Zags pull off a good win. I just hope it doesn't go into overtime. I like exciting games but .... I want to keep my heart ticking too! ;)

Chicken Ball
11-09-2015, 04:06 AM
Thank you. I do believe that Karno will be one of the best ever at GU, but Ryan Edwrda will be right behind him. Such soft hands! He played tennis in HS so has good footwork too!

One thing I noticed is that Edwards looks like he has really nice timing on shot blocking.

scott257
11-09-2015, 04:11 AM
I was glad to see some play that was reminiscent of Byron Wesley. Good to see that he had some influence on both McClellan and Perkins. There was one move to the basket by Perkins where he protected the ball, went up strong, made the basket and drew a foul that reminded me of Byron so much, and that McClellan had a couple of Wesley moments as well. Edwards touch was great, and Przemek's hustle in running the floor coming off his illness was outstanding.

ZaGranny
11-09-2015, 05:49 AM
thanks for the insight! anyone know if the game will be open to the public or military only???

I went on the AFC website and it said that tickets are not available to the general public, and that the 3100 (approx.) seats will be sold to people stationed at Camp Foster.

ZaGranny

exclusivelee
11-09-2015, 07:47 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/09/82c559a95c89d0439b1b65705ae7d755.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/09/226bfb26788b8a6e34246e205c8b087a.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/09/d1d67bc80a52e53b55bc8e083d5fe21d.jpg

DixieZag
11-09-2015, 07:51 AM
What a cool thing all around. Never mind the national exposure, bang to start the season, etc. To be able to play on a US base in the far east, in front of US personnel, on an island that is hallowed ground, just, wow . . .

CDC84
11-09-2015, 11:13 AM
FWIW.....Pitt is picked to finish 10th in the ACC by the coaches.

hondo
11-09-2015, 12:14 PM
That time (Friday, 7PM) is East Coast time WooHoo. The time in Spokane will be 4PM.

Mike83814
11-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Does anyone else feel like this could be the biggest trap game of the season? I'm probably seeing this through "Zag-collored glasses (saw this in another thread and loved it)," but I can't help but wonder if Pitt doesn't pose a bit of a problem for us. It's a really physically tough team, and with both Sabonis and Karno questionable, I don't know if we have the depth after them to be able to compete inside. After re-watching the exhibition game, I loved what I saw from Edwards, E Mac and Perkins; but I can't help but remember the St. Johns game at the end of the NIT tourney, where we almost blew a 14 point lead (with KP, GB and BW all leading the charge). Pitt seems like the same type of team - really physically tough, with a lot to prove - and a top ten win to start the season would be a good way for them to do it.

Or Wiltjer could just have another 30-point night and pic apart Pitt from... well everywhere.

RenoZag
11-09-2015, 12:49 PM
I wonder if those windows behind the backboard get some sort of cover ? Would not appear to be the ideal shooting background. . .

DixieZag
11-09-2015, 03:21 PM
I wonder if those windows behind the backboard get some sort of cover ? Would not appear to be the ideal shooting background. . .

Ouch. Good point.

RenoZag
11-09-2015, 04:40 PM
FWIW.....Pitt is picked to finish 10th in the ACC by the coaches.

You're just trying to cheer us up.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zagceo
11-09-2015, 05:08 PM

Remember tip off is 9am .......

exclusivelee
11-10-2015, 10:27 AM
And they're off, Sabonis included

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/10/3016d30c9991ab1af8446d0817497c59.jpg

BavarianZag
11-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Props on the GU branded neck pillows...where can we get ours? I suppose Shem's beard will be used as his neck pillow?

ZagNative
11-10-2015, 12:01 PM
ESPN 2015 Armed Forces Classic to Showcase Pitt and Gonzaga from Camp Foster in Japan (http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/11/2015-armed-forces-classic-to-showcase-pitt-and-gonzaga-from-camp-foster-in-japan/)

The game tips off the start of the 2015-16 college basketball season across ESPN platforms.

Game & Studio Coverage

Play-by-play veteran Dan Shulman will have the call of the game with analyst Jay Bilas and on-court reporter Andy Katz.
Pregame, half and postgame coverage will be hosted by Connors and Williams live onsite.
Coaches’ interviews will be played during pregame

Additional Content & Vignettes

Features on the Battle of Okinawa, the current military presence on the island and on Marine Jungle Warfare Training.
Also air “sense of place and life on the base” vignettes throughout the telecast.
Segments documenting the trip and the activities of both Gonzaga and Pitt.

The Armed Forces Classic – a series of Division I men’s college basketball games – are played on United States military bases worldwide over a five-year rotation. The 2016 event on Veteran’s Day on Friday, Nov. 11 – just under a month from the 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor – will pit Indiana vs. Kansas and Arizona vs. Michigan State.

DixieZag
11-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Wow. That's sort of a big deal. Shulman, Bilas (I wonder if he'll have figured out we played his alma mater in the E8 by then?), Katz, on-site studio at half, interview of Few in-game?

I knew it was a cool deal the last couple years. I didn't know it was this big a deal.

Mike83814
11-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Props on the GU branded neck pillows...where can we get ours? I suppose Shem's beard will be used as his neck pillow?

I'd buy that!

The pillow - not Shem's beard.

SWZag
11-10-2015, 01:39 PM
And they're off, Sabonis included

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/10/3016d30c9991ab1af8446d0817497c59.jpg

Perkins already finish his drink or did he not get one?

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-10-2015, 02:06 PM
Wow. That's sort of a big deal. Shulman, Bilas (I wonder if he'll have figured out we played his alma mater in the E8 by then?), Katz, on-site studio at half, interview of Few in-game?

I knew it was a cool deal the last couple years. I didn't know it was this big a deal.

Very big deal....first nationally televised college hoops game of the season. Let's hope Zags are playing in the last nationally televised game of the season too!!

Zagceo
11-10-2015, 02:58 PM

The straw brings back bad memories

Did Zags receive Elite Eight rings? Arizona did….just curious

sittingon50
11-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Very big deal....first nationally televised college hoops game of the season. Let's hope Zags are playing in the last nationally televised game of the season too!!

I like the way you think, Flex!!

gonstu
11-11-2015, 07:47 AM
The straw brings back bad memories

Did Zags receive Elite Eight rings? Arizona did….just curious

My thoughts exactly. He may never drink another smoothie / milkshake ever again. Oh, the details us fans notice in pictures!

Hoopaholic
11-11-2015, 08:18 AM

Maybe he "distributed" them?

titopoet
11-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Maybe he "distributed" them?

+1000 Hoop, your a hoot.

exclusivelee
11-11-2015, 10:07 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/11/f7963131b2a77f0ce7a55789f8e72b09.jpg

NumberCruncher
11-11-2015, 11:28 AM

I get a jet lag flashback just looking at their eyes. Hooray for retirement!

strikenowhere
11-11-2015, 11:30 AM

Looks like Sabonis' back is loose enough to bend over for the pic!

exclusivelee
11-11-2015, 01:24 PM
Wiltjer and Perkins made the best impression on Eastern Oregon's coach. He called McClellan, Dranginis, & Melson streaky shooters:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/west-coast-bias--what-to-watch-for-on-opening-night-210556273.html

Gonzaga didn't get to experiment with its giant lineup for long in a 90-58 rout of NAIA Eastern Oregon on Saturday.

The three big men did start together as Mark Few promised, however, Domantas Sabonis fell hard early in the first half and played only six minutes.

Of the Zags who did play the most minutes, the guy who impressed Eastern Oregon coach Jared Barrett the most was Kyle Wiltjer. The 6-foot-10 All-American candidate scored an efficient 33 points in 27 minutes, sometimes via the 3-point shot and other times via mismatches in the post.

Eastern Oregon coach Jared Barrett on Gonzaga: "Wiltjer is so smart with positioning and timing with his post-up game. In 15 years of coaching including 12 years in Division I, he's the best I've seen at spotting a mismatch and taking advantage. His IQ with that is off the charts and if you get caught behind him, it's a basket. ... I worry about their big lineup defensively. They started Sabonis on our two guard. I know he's agile and moves well for a big man, but against better teams that's going to be a really hard matchup. If they're not going to go zone starting those three, some teams are going to cause problems. ... I liked [Josh Perkins] the best out of all their guards. He gets their bigs the ball whenever he can. [Kevin] Pangos last year was more of a score-first guy, but Perkins makes it really easy for their bigs to score. ... Teams are going to pack in their defenses against Gonzaga and dare those wings to shoot. [Eric] McClellan, Silas Melson and Kyle Dranginis went a combined 1-for-14 against us on threes. I know they're probably better shooters than that, but they're streaky. If you can help more on their posts and risk closing out late on their shooters, I think that's preferable. ... They put McClellan on my point guard, who's our leading scorer, and our point guard said he was just OK. Coach Few knows better since he sees him every day in practice, but in the one game we played against him, we didn't see [him as a defensive stopper]. He's going to have to be better."

seacatfan
11-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Those are some interesting comments from the EOU coach. Seems like he went into more detail talking about the Zags than he needed to. I wonder if he was goaded into it or just felt like sharing his opinion? I completely agree with him about Sabonis trying to guard a wing type of player on the perimeter. Not sure about his assessment of McClellan's D. Most on this board feel pretty comfortable in him being similar to Bell in locking down the other team's best perimeter scorer. I also think he's off in referring to Pangos as a score first PG AT LEAST last year. He only averaged 11 ppg, from what we saw during his career he was definitely capable of scoring 15+. Also 5 apg is nothing to sneeze at. I don't think KP had a score first mentality even slightly during his Sr. year. I'm fairly sure I watched him play more than an active coach of a college team who was probably busy during the season with games, travel, practice, breaking down film/game planning, recruiting, etc. etc.

Anyway it just seems rather odd that he was conjecturing somewhat about Gonzaga's upcoming season. He should be concerned with his own team and not GU.

zag buddy
11-11-2015, 01:42 PM
I really like his comments and would really appreciate other coaches commenting after our games.

seacatfan
11-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Maybe it's just me. He was certainly very complimentary of Wiltjer. It just seemed to go beyond talking about the game between the two teams and got into speculating about how various Zags players would do during the upcoming season. Seems to go beyond the scope of what a coach usually comments about post game. I bet you'd have a hard time getting anything even remotely similar out of Few talking about any of EOU's players.

VaBeachZAG
11-11-2015, 04:24 PM
I think his observation about future opponents packing the paint against GU is spot-on. The Zags will need reliable outside shooting from more than just Wiltjer.

gonstu
11-11-2015, 04:50 PM
I think his observation about future opponents packing the paint against GU is spot-on. The Zags will need reliable outside shooting from more than just Wiltjer.

Let them pack the paint!

seacatfan
11-11-2015, 04:57 PM
The Zags had a horrible game shooting from outside. It's a no-brainer they need to do better. Anybody could see that. How often are they going to shoot, what, 16% from behind the arc? It was a sample size of one game, in and of itself it's meaningless. Not exactly a ground shaking observation that shooting that badly from the perimeter would be a bad thing going forward. So...is it possible it was a fluke rather than an indication they can't shoot? Neither was a high volume shooter but McClellan and Dranginis were both around 35% from behind the arc last year, not a bad percentage.

I clicked on the link and saw that all of the coaches were asked after the various exhibition games to comment on their opponent. I just don't see much value in that little exercise. A bunch of D1 teams beat a bunch of D2 or NAIA teams by wide margins in games with some obvious mismatches in size and/or athleticism. How much can the losing coach really tell you? Not to mention it's one game, as stated above a very small sample size which renders it statistically insignificant.

ZagsObserver
11-11-2015, 06:01 PM
I can't disagree with the assessment.

bartruff1
11-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Well, at least he is a actual coach....

seacatfan
11-11-2015, 06:46 PM
I can't disagree with the assessment.

Including the part about Pangos being a shoot first PG last year? That's what really threw me. He may be a very good coach, EOU seemed well prepared and executed well. Doesn't make him an expert on the Zags.

And again, ANYBODY could tell you that shooting 5-31 from behind the arc isn't going to cut it. Pointing that out after the game is not an insight. It's a Capt. Obvious statement.

And pretty much everybody on this board said the Zags would need to play a zone D with the 3 Bigs lineup, because neither Wiltjer or Sabonis can D up a wing player man-to-man on the perimeter. One doesn't need to be a coach or an expert to lend legitimacy to noting things that are completely obvious.

Should Few point out that EOU has no defenders capable of guarding a sharp shooting 6-10 stretch 4 that can also post up or drive? Or that they have no defenders that can handle a 7' 300 lb. post player on the low block? That's about the level of the insights from the EOU coach. Picking low hanging fruit.

exclusivelee
11-12-2015, 03:48 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/018ae0778223660515cff032794d8ac9.jpg

exclusivelee
11-12-2015, 04:12 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/e02b2375e388d78c7c9a3caa33c6d0bf.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/b03af1837809bb23f2fd1a665d4c0a6b.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/12d1d6e8ba4211fa2fe945436a2f65d0.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/fe1ebb034443f264eff19e70d597bfee.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/b5372d78775fdf9a461f34106523949f.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/697e2a7f7f68ac6e598033ef9b28fd72.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/d5a93d5987e8b1f7ae75fa46d50114a7.jpg

exclusivelee
11-12-2015, 04:16 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/16a6d6cd3202cae109ece0e6cecf272b.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/3047fd67ecf302c001a2ba2b1f05c00d.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/7b777c2a54aaa0d9b1eb2e546a155a0e.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/fce5e4821a812a0f4d5b867d8a26f563.jpg

exclusivelee
11-12-2015, 05:47 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/a8a4d5ed12e6877f659fc6b55581840c.jpg

Therunner
11-12-2015, 06:38 AM
Every picture I have seen recently, Bryan Alberts looks to be about 6'6", especially if Perkins is legitimately 6'3" and Dranginis 6'5".

If that's the case, great news and he should be given a serious look at WING.

I hope he has some defensive prowess, as Pitts leading scorer and rebounder is their SF/WING.

Not surprised Andy Katz said Pitt has, "much more size" than last season. They added (2) 6'9" graduate transfers -- one was the leading rebounder in his league at 9 rpg and the other was the leading shot-blocker of his league.

Pitt was vastly undersized last season and still won a lot of games. They have 4 of their starters back, along with legit proven post players.

I'm telling you, this is a Top-25 team, which is a terrific challenge for us.

Great pics!!!

seacatfan
11-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Cool pictures. Looks like the guys are enjoying this trip.

exclusivelee
11-12-2015, 07:20 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/dee9ea6e40d8c29eac7b546adcf70f58.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/12/17ac1d42fa8666531681a8170db75b11.jpg

Ekrub
11-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Those are some interesting comments from the EOU coach. Seems like he went into more detail talking about the Zags than he needed to. I wonder if he was goaded into it or just felt like sharing his opinion? I completely agree with him about Sabonis trying to guard a wing type of player on the perimeter. Not sure about his assessment of McClellan's D. Most on this board feel pretty comfortable in him being similar to Bell in locking down the other team's best perimeter scorer. I also think he's off in referring to Pangos as a score first PG AT LEAST last year. He only averaged 11 ppg, from what we saw during his career he was definitely capable of scoring 15+. Also 5 apg is nothing to sneeze at. I don't think KP had a score first mentality even slightly during his Sr. year. I'm fairly sure I watched him play more than an active coach of a college team who was probably busy during the season with games, travel, practice, breaking down film/game planning, recruiting, etc. etc.

Anyway it just seems rather odd that he was conjecturing somewhat about Gonzaga's upcoming season. He should be concerned with his own team and not GU.

It was part on an ESPN article in which they asked the opposing coaches of the exhibition teams to evaluate the"best in the west"

WallaWallaZag
11-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Including the part about Pangos being a shoot first PG last year? That's what really threw me. He may be a very good coach, EOU seemed well prepared and executed well. Doesn't make him an expert on the Zags.
And again, ANYBODY could tell you that shooting 5-31 from behind the arc isn't going to cut it. Pointing that out after the game is not an insight. It's a Capt. Obvious statement.
And pretty much everybody on this board said the Zags would need to play a zone D with the 3 Bigs lineup, because neither Wiltjer or Sabonis can D up a wing player man-to-man on the perimeter. One doesn't need to be a coach or an expert to lend legitimacy to noting things that are completely obvious.
Should Few point out that EOU has no defenders capable of guarding a sharp shooting 6-10 stretch 4 that can also post up or drive? Or that they have no defenders that can handle a 7' 300 lb. post player on the low block? That's about the level of the insights from the EOU coach. Picking low hanging fruit.

you seem to be the only one who has a problem with this...why so defensive? personally, i think it's a pretty neat idea...there's no way you could get this outta other div 1 coaches even in exhibition games. and he certainly makes an interesting point with regard to eric being unable to shut down a former low level div 1 player...he definitely needs to be the perimeter stopper he's capable of being.

seacatfan
11-12-2015, 09:57 PM
You're right, it does seem to be just me that was bothered by it. I don't know why, it just hit me the wrong way.

I am curious though that no one has responded to the Pangos as a shoot first PG part. I thought it was quite clear he deferred shot attempts for himself throughout the season last year for the good of the team.

sittingon50
11-12-2015, 10:24 PM
I agree with you, cat. Just not sweating what a Coach who I'm sure rarely had the time to see him play has to say.

Zagger
11-13-2015, 03:42 AM
You're right, it does seem to be just me that was bothered by it. I don't know why, it just hit me the wrong way.

I am curious though that no one has responded to the Pangos as a shoot first PG part. I thought it was quite clear he deferred shot attempts for himself throughout the season last year for the good of the team.
Yeah, Kevin was no shoot first PG. He was a BIG threat on 3s and certainly took shots given him but there were a lot of times in front of the TV I was hollerin' for Kevin to shoot and he found someone else to give it a go. The EOU coach got that part about Kevin wrong. Because a kid can hit 3s well doesn't mean he's 'shoot first'. Kevin sunk so many 3s cuz he wasn't shoot first - he found his shots - kept an opponent's D guessing.
If Pitt defers to focusing D in the paint the Zag perimeter will make them pay. Plus, our bigs can handle the added attention. I fully expect to see some excellent Zag BB today - including perimeter shooting.

bartruff1
11-13-2015, 04:10 AM
I just assumed he didn't see Kevin play 160 games and that he watched a few game films....or might have seen a couple games on television.... perhaps those were games that Kevin was looking to score.

Kevin's records are in the book.....no problem...... I did think it was curious he made a comparison between the two.

exclusivelee
11-13-2015, 06:52 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/803007a0a673f15df8cebcb4aa515a8b.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/6fbb4ac4d39c063922cc981738f2292b.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/706b220d843e99bd431971ed24b1729e.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/e3b42d5f943349860d47e5b7f50e6f0d.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/2cbf67c12afe383564c9068b86d46c7c.jpg

exclusivelee
11-13-2015, 06:52 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/ff3a92bf8433abecaefad033606177df.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/62ee08ca9692c9011e66deb624a66884.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/fd51d53325547199866f8b50292e1930.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/262b54810866ef2a9540cd702daf128d.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/4693d58bd6983450c7bc736f9a0a2d52.jpg

ZagsGoZags
11-13-2015, 07:41 AM
asking a question I am sure most people know,
do the red-shirts travel with this trip? I don't see Jerome and NWG in any pics

sittingon50
11-13-2015, 09:00 AM
asking a question I am sure most people know,
do the red-shirts travel with this trip? I don't see Jerome and NWG in any pics

Nope. I believe the rationale is to keep kids from looking at some team's travel plans for the upcoming season & deciding to transfer there for a "cool trip."

exclusivelee
11-13-2015, 12:56 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/cb6abd12a9aabafde69e144af596e086.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/7a71b7a860418bc2e192aa38ac4eb550.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/7926d940e43637684ca778eb91675bcd.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/db34f4fd4cb8cc3ffcd022bfa9a34495.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/8b210cbcd3798b984722364d4f55924b.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/13/892132ccfd136df0e68c637ee2d3a2d7.jpg