PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio-GU/EOC

Section 116
11-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Hudson-Took about 7 minutes for GU to get going but once they got rolling EOC really didn't have much of an answer for GU. But EOC played hard, they were physical enough, it was a fair test for GU considering the opponent. Wiltjer leads with 33 and 14. Edwards 5-6 in ten minutes or so of action. Santangelo noted you know GU is going to want to play fast and put up a lot of points. That and the fact Wiltjer is going to be the leader in most games is certainly no secret.

Funny game at the start though. #9 team in the country GU trailed 8-1 but EOC had played 5 games already. About 7 minutes in though is when Wiltjer really started taking charge. Bulldogs went from down 15-14 to ahead 33-15 and that was basically that. Karnowski got going in the second half as he ended with a double double after a slow start. 13 and 11 and 5-8 free throws I think Hudson said. Perkins has an opportunity to be one of the really good ones. And he has enough swagger to kind of fight through the low points, 10 points, 5 assists and no turnovers.

Wiltjer leads with 33 and early on it looked like he was going to take all the shots in the game but no one is really concerned with that as that is what he does all the time in practice. Karnowski, McLellan in double figures and looked really really comfortable tonight, making plays and getting teammates involved. Perkins in double figures and reminds Hudson of Pargo as he plays with an edge and a lot of flair. Edwards the fifth Zag in double figures.

Ronny at the game, and David Stockton sitting behind him. (By the way I saw David at the women's game last evening cheering on his sister). McLellan on the radio-Last year that group really didn't need me but I continued to learn and grow and the guys here really made it easy for me. This summer I tired to take it to another level and I feel like I am a new version of me. EOC had a pretty good backcourt and they were a good test for us. Washington is a really good player for them. First and foremost our front court deserves all the accolades they are getting. The backcourt is playing with a chip on our shoulder, we feel like no one is paying attention to us. I feel like we have been beating up on each other for like a million days, it good to be playing against someone else. The trip to Japan is taking all of us to places we would probably never have gone. We are looking at it as a business trip but what a trip.

Alberts got a good 18 minutes in and he was aggressive looking for the rim. He outside shot wasn't going but it was good to see him looking for the rim. Melson and Alberts missed a lot threes and Matt said they need to look a little more to the big guys on the inside and they maybe then will get a good look on the weakside. All of this will come as the season moves on. All in all it was a pretty entertaining game. The boys got what they wanted. They got to run up and down the court, it wasn't a grinder. Neither team shot very well but a good effort on the glass from GU. That's about it!

northsidezagfan
11-07-2015, 06:49 PM
Thanks 116, great write-up.

ZAGGED OUT
11-07-2015, 07:23 PM
Although Melson and Alberts missed a fair amount of 3's, I took two things from them. One, they took good shots that were not forced and will most likely fall as the season goes. Second, neither was a black hole. The ball still moved around the perimeter well with them. Melson in particular looked much more comfortable than last year, and definitely seemed to keep his head up. One in particular, the ball was kicked out to him and he had a semi good look that he would have taken last year, instead he opted for a better look and made the extra pass to Wiltjer who hit a wide open 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zagdawg
11-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 11m11 minutes ago
Karnowski said he's getting closer to full strength: He had tonsillitis prior to pneumonia. Logged 21 minutes, scored 13 points, 11 boards.

jchocolate99
11-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Definitely appreciate the recaps 116... Kind of feel spoiled because I always look for your post after the games hahaha

MickMick
11-07-2015, 08:19 PM
These early exhibitions rarely accommodate a full summer of pre season hype.

It is early and the team is not a well oiled machine. No team is.

Having said that, Wiltjer is playing as advertised. To score 30+ so effortlessly as well as pick up 11 rebounds so early in the year. Definitely in the running for the Wooden award.

On another note, I will gladly eat crow on McClellan. I'm just glad to see him play with emotion. He has a chip on his shoulder and a few of us in Zag Nation collectively put it there. In the end, it did him good. Now the question is if he can play with that same intensity all season long. If so, this team may be going places. His combination of length and quickness has much upside, especially on the defensive end.

Zagceo
11-07-2015, 08:27 PM
thx 116

LouisianaZag
11-07-2015, 08:47 PM
Thanks, you covered the game really well. What point of the game was Sabonis hurt?

Section 116
11-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Sabonis landed on his back while attempting to rebound about 6 minutes into the game. Here is a link to Jim Meehan's Spokesman Review game story with a bit more info on Sabonis: http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2015/nov/07/zags-thump-eastern-oregon-exhibition/

CdAZagFan
11-07-2015, 09:04 PM
On another note, I will gladly eat crow on McClellan. I'm just glad to see him play with emotion. He has a chip on his shoulder and a few of us in Zag Nation collectively put it there. In the end, it did him good. Now the question is if he can play with that same intensity all season long. If so, this team may be going places. His combination of length and quickness has much upside, especially on the defensive end.

Was great to see McClellan's emotional intensity. Between that and his defensive quickness, he could quickly emerge as one of the leaders of this team.

HenneZag
11-07-2015, 09:04 PM
I think we shot close to 16% from 3. Dranginis, Melson and Alberts went 0-15 from 3. Pretty horrid. Hopefully that's just first game jitters but that can't happen moving forward with the type of talent we will be playing.

The 2 players I was most impressed with tonight were eMac and Edwards. Both seem to be improved.

Zag_Dad
11-07-2015, 09:49 PM
16% from 3... Ouch

DixieZag
11-07-2015, 09:57 PM
I am not worried about our 3 pt percentage.

eMac is going to be very hard to keep off the floor.

hooter73
11-07-2015, 10:03 PM
1st game jitters all around I hope, cause if not we're going to lose some games. Perkins and EMac, great, exactly what I thought they'd be. Melson unfortunately is exactly what I thought he'd be too. We just dont have a shooting guard/shooting wing. We can win without one, but as of tonight, nadda. The big three thing went off as I expected... like a lead balloon. as soon as Domas went out (crap! btw) KW stopped playing Kentucky stand on the three line type ball and went back to what he was so good at last year. BUT this was a shake the rust off, get to know ya game. Lots of coaching will happen.

maynard g krebs
11-07-2015, 10:23 PM
On another note, I will gladly eat crow on McClellan. I'm just glad to see him play with emotion. He has a chip on his shoulder and a few of us in Zag Nation collectively put it there. In the end, it did him good.

Nonsense.

Don't sprain your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

When you were bagging on McClellan a few weeks ago, it was pointed out, correctly, that you can't expect a guy who is new to the team and coming in late in the season to be functioning at his normal level. He played within himself, showed maturity in just trying to fit in and not do too much last year.

Some of us said, correctly it appears (I didn't see the game) that much more could be expected of him this year. The idea that he needed motivation to "play with emotion" from internet posters is ludicrous and insulting.

MickMick
11-07-2015, 11:05 PM
Nonsense.

Don't sprain your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

When you were bagging on McClellan a few weeks ago, it was pointed out, correctly, that you can't expect a guy who is new to the team and coming in late in the season to be functioning at his normal level. He played within himself, showed maturity in just trying to fit in and not do too much last year.

Some of us said, correctly it appears (I didn't see the game) that much more could be expected of him this year. The idea that he needed motivation to "play with emotion" from internet posters is ludicrous and insulting.

He played like crap last year. Might have been injury. Might have been new environment. Might have been for totally legitimate reasons. But he still did not play well.

I gladly eat crow that he played well in an exhibition game. I am happy that he is a seemingly changed player.

Further, using terms like "Zag Nation" and "collectively" is not "patting yourself on the back". Influencing others, as well as being influenced from others is not a solo adventure. Dan Dikau explained the situation well. A voice like his lit the fire under McClellan....not mine.

Anyone else notice how he turned to the student section and pulled on his jersey, with a big scowl, after scoring? As if he had a big point to make? It was only Eastern Oregon after all.

Didn't see anyone else do that. Not even high motor Sabonis.

Obvious chip on his shoulder. Obvious.

maynard g krebs
11-07-2015, 11:26 PM
Further, using terms like "Zag Nation" and "collectively" is not "patting yourself on the back". Influencing others, as well as being influenced from others is not a solo adventure. Dan Dikau explained the situation well. A voice like his lit the fire under McClellan....not mine.

I was referring to the phrase "a few of us".

"Us:
pronoun

Used by a speaker to refer to himself or herself and one or more other people as the object of a verb or preposition."

Sorry I didn't realize your use of the word "us" didn't include yourself, but instead referred to Dan Dickau.

As I said, I didn't see the game, so I'm curious about what Dan said about it. That might help me understand what I'm missing.

Zagger
11-07-2015, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the post-game radio 116!
Watched the game on Q6. The good, the bad and th ugly (Sabonis fall). He must have hit just right to get pretty bruised up. Let the healing commence! I was most impressed with EMc2, Perkins, Edwards, and MtK (great beard BTW). For as under the weather that Karnowski had been earlier he sure got up and down the court. EOU gave them a pretty good game and made some awesome shots. Zag D was both good and bad. Zags left some guys WIDE open. D hustle was good. Can't wait to see the team against Pitt.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-08-2015, 04:47 AM

I don't agree with anything you say regarding EMac's perceived lack of emotion or intensity last year and especially the idea that "a few of us in Zag nation collectively put it there."

Becoming eligible mid-season for a top 20 team with lots of senior leadership at your own position, which was the scenario for EMac last season, left him with no team-first option other than to just try and fit in and help the team in the small spurts of opportunity he was given. I think he did exactly that last year and it was a very impressive, mature accomplishment for him. I also think EMac can and will do a lot more for the team this season, but it has nothing to do with outside forces somehow collectively empowering him to do so...very odd claim imho and insulting to the player's ability and intelligence.

RenoZag
11-08-2015, 05:16 AM
There's a Section 116 game recap on my screen. . .it's a great thing and much appreciated

krii
11-08-2015, 06:03 AM
A few thoughts:

1. KWiltjer is massive. His offensive game looks veeeery good. It is so easy for him to finish in random situations - even if some 3s were off it looks like he can easily finish with something like 27/7/2/1 on .550%/.450%/.800%. I mean he is able to do that. Smooth player.
2. In this couple of minutes when DS/KW/PK played together it was quite rusty but I think it will be much better later in the season. They have been quite confused how to react but it was a matter of most of the players in the beggining of the 1st half.
3. PK is still not 100% healthy but I don't think he was particularly bad or that he moved too slow. After 1st half he looked pretty rusty, very off to be honest. But with minutes he was looking better and better. One of the best sequences in the entire game was when he had like 4-5 straight rebounds on both sides of the court and some points after grabbing the ball (defensive rebound-offensive rebound&foul/point-defensive rebound-offensive rebound&points/foul?). That was great! I was worried with him missing two FT's early in the game (he went 3/6 before scoring both free throws latter in the game) as I predicted something about .600/.650 from the line this season but he proved my point. IMO it will be .600/.650 by the end of the season :-)
4. Perkins and McClellan are good. They will be only better.
5. This Edwards boy ... oh boy. If not for fouls and TO he would be amazing. When PK & KW will enter the NBA the next two big boys (DS & Edwards) could easily dominate the NCAA (of course if Sabonis will stay for another year). He dominated the boards and looked a little bit like young PK. That is a complement - he can easily become one of the best centers in the league!

zagamatic
11-08-2015, 06:40 AM
Well, look at it this way. .....we now know that we can shoot a horrific 16% from 3 and still score 90 points. Just imagine what the score would be if we could double that to 32% :-)

DixieZag
11-08-2015, 07:08 AM
He played like crap last year. Might have been injury. Might have been new environment. Might have been for totally legitimate reasons. But he still did not play well.

I gladly eat crow that he played well in an exhibition game. I am happy that he is a seemingly changed player.

Anyone else notice how he turned to the student section and pulled on his jersey, with a big scowl, after scoring? As if he had a big point to make? It was only Eastern Oregon after all.

Didn't see anyone else do that. Not even high motor Sabonis.

Obvious chip on his shoulder. Obvious.

I'm not sure we watched the same guy last year. eMac had no natural role on last year's team and yet I thought he played astonishingly well in the few instances when the team relied on him. I believe it was SMC where his defense and energy changed the entire game, he played well against Duke. those are two that comes straight to mind.

I think he's going to have a monster year.

2wiceright
11-08-2015, 11:58 AM
I was referring to the phrase "a few of us".

"Us:
pronoun

Used by a speaker to refer to himself or herself and one or more other people as the object of a verb or preposition."

Sorry I didn't realize your use of the word "us" didn't include yourself, but instead referred to Dan Dickau.

As I said, I didn't see the game, so I'm curious about what Dan said about it. That might help me understand what I'm missing.

I think it was Few (after the game on the local news) who mentioned Emac not only had difficulty (as most do) being only eligible for the 2nd half of season, but he was "also fighting injuries the rest of the year". I think that says volumes right there!

jchocolate99
11-08-2015, 12:58 PM
A few thoughts:

5. This Edwards boy ... oh boy. If not for fouls and TO he would be amazing. When PK & KW will enter the NBA the next two big boys (DS & Edwards) could easily dominate the NCAA (of course if Sabonis will stay for another year). He dominated the boards and looked a little bit like young PK. That is a complement - he can easily become one of the best centers in the league!

Was definitely pleased with Edwards offense last night but IF Sabonis stays it's going to be the DS and JW3 show in the front court next season with Edwards fighting off Collins and Tillie for play time

ZionZag
11-09-2015, 03:41 AM
I think we shot close to 16% from 3. Dranginis, Melson and Alberts went 0-15 from 3. Pretty horrid. Hopefully that's just first game jitters but that can't happen moving forward with the type of talent we will be playing.

The 2 players I was most impressed with tonight were eMac and Edwards. Both seem to be improved.

LOOK LIKE 2 FOR 23 FROM OUR ENTIRE BACK COURT......THAT WOULD BE 8.7%

WILTJER,KYLE * 33 1 4 14 4 0 2 0 12-21 6-8 3-8 27 27
KARNOWSKI,PRZEMEK * 13 2 6 11 0 1 1 1 4-7 5-8 0-0 21 21
MCCLELLAN,ERIC * 12 1 0 3 2 0 0 3 4-9 3-4 1-3 24 17
PERKINS,JOSH * 10 5 0 4 2 1 0 2 3-5 3-3 1-2 24 21
EDWARDS,RYAN 10 0 1 5 0 2 4 4 5-6 0-2 0-0 15 11
DRANGINIS,KYLE 5 3 3 4 0 1 1 1 2-7 1-2 0-4 30 36
ALBERTS,BRYAN 4 2 0 3 0 0 0 1 2-7 0-0 0-5 18 12
MELSON,SILAS 3 1 0 4 2 0 0 3 1-8 1-2 0-6 22 18
TRIANO,DUSTIN 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 3 0-3 0-0 0-2 10 7
SABONIS,DOMANTAS * 0 0 1 3 0 0 1 0 0-0 0-0 0-0 6 -8
BAKAMUS,REM 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0-1 0-0 0-1 2 -6
BEACH,JACK 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 0-0 0-0 0-0 2 -6
TEAM 2 5
Totals 90 15 17 58 11 5 9 19 33-74 19-29 5-31 201 150
Percentages 44.6% 65.5% 16.1%
Embed This Table On Your Website

ZagsGoZags
11-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Was definitely pleased with Edwards offense last night but IF Sabonis stays it's going to be the DS and JW3 show in the front court next season with Edwards fighting off Collins and Tillie for play time

Next year Ryan Edwards will only have Zach C to contend with for the Center position. Honestly when I watch tape of Collins with his shot and mobility I would not be surprised for him to evolve into a 4-5 tweener over the next few years. There will be times when Few will need the pure Center that Ryan is, and the thinner, more fluid Center that Collins is, based on match-up needs. Domas and Tillie are 4's.