PDA

View Full Version : Sabonis injury/health update

Therunner
11-07-2015, 06:07 PM
Domas fell hard and awkwardly, appearing to injure his back, hip, knee, & possibly arm too..

He tried to play through it -- twice -- yet was unable, and clearly in pain.

He was limping, bracing his back, and could barely tolerate sitting on the bench.

Please post any thoughts and/or information regarding Sabonis' injury here.

Heal quickly!

Jstock12
11-07-2015, 06:19 PM
:( :( :(

I really really really hope he's fine and that he was just shaken up after the fall.

LouisianaZag
11-07-2015, 06:29 PM
I just found the final score. Makes me sick to hear

Just found the final score on Facebook. Makes me sick to find out Sabonis is hurt. Other than that how did the game go?

s

Section 116
11-07-2015, 06:39 PM
From personal experience, looking at Sabonis trying to sit on the bench and get comfortable and moving very gingerly while walking I will frankly be surprised if he is going to be able to sit on an airplane on Tuesday and travel to Japan. And according to the talking heads this is not a GU charter, it is commercial. It might just be better to leave him at home, do some therapy and heal up. It's a long flight to Japan or Okinawa if you will. A lot of opportunity for the back to stiffen while sitting. I recall making the trip there when I was 20, although in a military aircraft, and I was more than ready to be there.

Section 116
11-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Meehan tweet on Sabonis: Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm
Few on Domas: "He just came down on it really hard. At this point, I have talk to the trainer and we’ll have see how bad it is."

Zagdawg
11-07-2015, 07:45 PM
Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm
Sabonis promptly left locker room for training room. Few: "It was giving him some problems when he went back out and tried to play."

ZagaZags
11-07-2015, 08:28 PM
Sabonis has a back contusion, expected to see a doctor Sunday.

Zag_Dad
11-07-2015, 09:31 PM
Nightmare scenario. One of your best players hurt in a meaningless game. Praying that he is okay and heals quickly.

zagfan24
11-08-2015, 02:44 AM
Hoping he heals quickly and takes the time he needs. In the mean time, Ryan Edwards played very well and will hold his own as a reserve big if needed.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-08-2015, 04:35 AM
From personal experience, looking at Sabonis trying to sit on the bench and get comfortable and moving very gingerly while walking I will frankly be surprised if he is going to be able to sit on an airplane on Tuesday and travel to Japan. And according to the talking heads this is not a GU charter, it is commercial. It might just be better to leave him at home, do some therapy and heal up. It's a long flight to Japan or Okinawa if you will. A lot of opportunity for the back to stiffen while sitting. I recall making the trip there when I was 20, although in a military aircraft, and I was more than ready to be there.

Good call Section 116. Unless Sabonis' stiffness and soreness rapidly improves before the scheduled Tuesday departure, I think the smartest thing would be for him to stay in Spokane, focus on physical therapy and avoid the two very long plane flights. Best case scenario, trainers clear him to play....then you get all loosened up, go hard in a game and sit on another long flight immediately afterwards. If the back isn't sore before the game, it will definitely tighten up again on the long flight home. Hopefully the doctor's exam reveals it to be something more minor than it appears.

jazzdelmar
11-08-2015, 04:47 AM
Grasping for straws dept, at least it wasn't a knee, ankle or head. But as a back patient, senior class, they can be just as painful and tricky.

zagamatic
11-08-2015, 06:22 AM
Considering the extensive amount of traveling the team does, my vote (as if it counts) would be to have him skip the trip in favor of therapy and being cautious. While the Pittsburgh game is important, the B4A has a much higher profile nationally. And let's not forget that Pitt is traveling across the country including an additional 3 time zones compared to us........and let's face it, they don't typically travel that much to play games nearly as much as the Zags from what I remember in recent years. There's a lot to be said for familiarity with long trips

Therunner
11-08-2015, 06:30 AM
Knowing Domas' fighter mentality, he wouldn't miss the opener and trip to Japan for anything, injury or not.

That said, he was in considerable pain and have a feeling Domas' pain tolerance is high. So much pain he took himself out two different occasions. Could barely sit on comfy bench chair, and could not stand w/out help.

Either way, that type of injury doesn't heal in 2 days.

I'm with the board, stay home, get treatment, therapy, rehab, masseuse, chiropractor, electro-shock, hyper-baric chamber, ice bath, etc etc.

Its 2 full days of plane rides for 1 game.

The season is 30+ games.

Get healthy for the long haul.

ps. couldn't help but notice Meehan quoted Coach Few as saying he had a "heating pad on while sitting on bench". Hmmm…aren't contusions, especially recent ones, supposed to be ICED? Heating pad for discomfort during the healing process, yet ice first and foremost to limit swelling/edema. I was under the impression to stay far away from heat until the swelling is done or gone. I thought that snippet was odd.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-08-2015, 06:44 AM
I join the chorus of fans who plead to err on the side of caution and leave him home from the next trip. A long commercial flight for a player of that size is uncomfortable even without the injury.

Let him catch up on his studies following the extended European vacation and and let him heal up for the Bahamas.

Mr Vulture
11-08-2015, 08:01 AM
I'm going to go with whatever the staff, trainer, and player decide. It looked to me like a back bruise which can be very painful for a day or two and improve dramatically with treatment over 48hrs. With the flight Tuesday and a Friday game, I don't see him sitting home unless there is more than a contusion.

Mantua
11-08-2015, 10:15 AM
I join the chorus of fans who plead to err on the side of caution and leave him home from the next trip. A long commercial flight for a player of that size is uncomfortable even without the injury.

Let him catch up on his studies following the extended European vacation and and let him heal up for the Bahamas.

Do we know for sure that they are flying coach? When I looked up the commercial flight times I was appalled.

raise the zag
11-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Do we know for sure that they are flying coach? When I looked up the commercial flight times I was appalled.

Yes.

Commercial.

Their charter pilot(s) nor plane can fly to Japan.

Mantua
11-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Any chance they are flying business class is what I'm asking.

jazzdelmar
11-08-2015, 10:52 AM
At average height 6-6 anything else would be hellish.

ZaGranny
11-08-2015, 11:06 AM
IIRC, the NCAA is footing the bill for the flights. Not sure if that makes it more or less likely that they'd spring for business class.

Looks like I was not remembering correctly---ESPN is footing the bill, not NCAA. Still not sure is that means it is more likely they will fly the teams in Business class.

And that flight was hellish for me at 5' 2" almost 30 years ago.

ZaGranny

MTZag03
11-08-2015, 01:19 PM
ps. couldn't help but notice Meehan quoted Coach Few as saying he had a "heating pad on while sitting on bench". Hmmm…aren't contusions, especially recent ones, supposed to be ICED? Heating pad for discomfort during the healing process, yet ice first and foremost to limit swelling/edema. I was under the impression to stay far away from heat until the swelling is done or gone. I thought that snippet was odd.

PT here. Heat can help with spasms. Ice really only important when there is obvious potential for significant edema that will actually limit healing. Otherwise it doesn't matter too much. Lumbar paraspinal muscles should be fine with either. There's also an excellent science based medicine blog post about ice. Very limited evidence for it actually. I get exasperated when people ask me whether they should ice or heat something. I usually tell them to do what they like most.

Aside: agree on Domas's likely pain tolerance. Clinically you always see people telling you how high their tolerance is when it clearly isn't. Sabonis plays through pain for sure. Tough kid.

jazzdelmar
11-09-2015, 04:04 AM
OK, post any rumors, tidbits and tweets here on DS. Or, ideally, an actual statement from GU.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-09-2015, 07:34 AM
Pretty sure the team is leaving for Japan tomorrow, so we should know soon enough whether Sabonis makes the trip or not.

Bogozags
11-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Pitt is also flying out tomorrow...maybe ESPN has a charter for both...isn't GU's traveling party around 25-30...not sure they have that many Business Class seats available...

exclusivelee
11-09-2015, 09:39 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/09/4bd77beab5226d8c2ae574099cb48608.jpg

Hope he feels a bit better by gametime

Zag 77
11-09-2015, 01:18 PM
If you were a teenager and your team were flying off to Japan and Okinawa for a week, would you stay home by yourself in Spokaloo?

RenoZag
11-09-2015, 01:22 PM
If you were a teenager and your team were flying off to Japan and Okinawa for a week, would you stay home by yourself in Spokaloo?

But there's so much to do in Spokane. . .

DixieZag
11-09-2015, 02:43 PM

Nope. I'd lie down in the aisle flat on my back if I had to.

zag67
11-09-2015, 03:05 PM
I would guess if necessary, somehow they would find a way to get him in First class so that he can spread out. But I do agree, if all my friends are going, I do not want to be left behind.

ZagNative
11-09-2015, 10:41 PM
Reported on the KREM 2 news tonight Sabonis is making the trip tomorrow. Uncertain whether he'll play.

ZagaZags
11-09-2015, 11:51 PM
http://magicoficecream.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/thor_avengers_gif_cinemagraph.gif

RenoZag
11-10-2015, 06:56 AM
Was told by a family member of a Zag the players all get business class seating. Same source said Sabonis was feeling much better last evening.

Beat Pitt !

Mike83814
11-10-2015, 08:09 AM
Was told by a family member of a Zag the players all get business class seating

That's good to hear. As one above the 6'9" threshold, international flights can be a new form of torture unless upgraded. I've seen the looks of terror I get coming onto the planes. I can only imagine the reaction from an entire team plus two man-mountains.

basketballzag
11-10-2015, 04:29 PM
That's good to hear. As one above the 6'9" threshold, international flights can be a new form of torture unless upgraded. I've seen the looks of terror I get coming onto the planes. I can only imagine the reaction from an entire team plus two man-mountains.

I was hoping to see a picture of Karno/Edwards/& Sabonis sitting next to each other in coach. LOL

Zag4Hire
11-10-2015, 05:35 PM
I was hoping to see a picture of Karno/Edwards/& Sabonis sitting next to each other in coach. LOL

No?

https://thespewblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/789_2.jpg?w=640&h=360

Corky
11-10-2015, 07:15 PM
No?

https://thespewblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/789_2.jpg?w=640&h=360

You nailed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk