PDA

View Full Version : Leadership

Zag 77
11-06-2015, 01:31 PM
I attended a Spokane County Bar Association Luncheon featuring some of the old Zags previewing the season. They all pretty much agreed that the team right now is missing a vocal leader. They all also agreed that in the alternative, leadership of the sort provided by Pangos and Bell would be a good substitute, i.e. leading by hard work, example and coachability. They all hope those qualities develop as the season unfolds.

convertedZagfan
11-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Here's an article mentioning the same thing: http://kgmi.com/news/007700-guard-situation-unsettled-at-no-9-gonzaga-front-court-set/

I was hoping Shem could provide it, but I think he's a quiet guy. It talks about the guards battling for minutes, maybe one the line-up is a little more certain, someone will step forward.

Reborn
11-06-2015, 02:22 PM
IMO, the leaders of this team must be Wiltjer and PK. These guys are seniors, and they must step up and be leaders, and keep the fold together, working as one. I also believe that Perkins is a born leader, and although he's a freshman, I think his voice will be heard. It's part of the job of a point to be a leader. He'll step up when time comes, imo.

Zag 77
11-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Perkins is a redshirt freshman whose college career consists of 5 games. It is probably unfair to expect the vocal leadership thing from him. He is going to have enough on his plate just learning how to be a starting point guard at a Top 10 team.

jazzdelmar
11-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Freshman notwithstanding, JP will be the leader on the floor, much like Tyus Jones was for Duke last year.

vandalzag
11-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Freshman notwithstanding, JP will be the leader on the floor, much like Tyus Jones was for Duke last year.

Spot on. Perkins showed a willingness to step in and lead last year. His leadership will not be an issue. I would bet the issue leans more to identity or familiarity. Pangos and Bell were given the reigns from day one, there was not a question of who was the alpha. This will be Perks team as soon as he wants it to be. I think if he had stayed healthy last year his leadership would have become evident as the season went on.

jchocolate99
11-06-2015, 08:10 PM
I'm not too worried about the whole leadership thing... Yeah we're losing Pango's who was the leader but someone will eventually feel that void and to be honest I think it's Wiltjer as it should be but when there isn't one on the team that is where good coaching comes into play to help until a leader emerges.

DixieZag
11-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Perkins walked on campus as a leader. Not saying KW and PK aren't, just sayin'.

krii
11-07-2015, 03:54 AM
Well when you look like 7"1' PK with this beard you might accept other "leadership" as long as someone respects your opinion ;-)

jazzdelmar
11-07-2015, 04:02 AM
Spot on. Perkins showed a willingness to step in and lead last year. His leadership will not be an issue. I would bet the issue leans more to identity or familiarity. Pangos and Bell were given the reigns from day one, there was not a question of who was the alpha. This will be Perks team as soon as he wants it to be. I think if he had stayed healthy last year his leadership would have become evident as the season went on.

Right, Van. An ideal sit to have your PG the team leader.....rarely does it come from a big man, in my experience. And it's usually not your superstar AA.....we are all good.

Zagceo
11-07-2015, 04:52 AM
Perkins will be using his talents gained from observing KP/GB from the sidelines and could surprise fans with his leadership.

KW has the personality but teams need the QB/Point guard to lead IMO.

ZagsGoZags
11-07-2015, 04:53 AM
In terms of zag culture, Kyle D. and Shem are the 'elders' with most experience,
I don't know if it is in Dranginis' personality to be a strong leader,
it would be easier for him to be a leader, I think, if he was a starter,
and maybe this year he will be.
In the past Few has been loyal to the guys who did everything asked of them,
and this is Kyle D. Redshirt, no ego issues interfering with coaches plan, developing all aspects of his game with every year, selfless.
If Kyle starts tonight, he may get lots of other starts in Nov,

webspinnre
11-07-2015, 07:56 AM
I'm in agreement that I think Perkins ends up as one of the key leaders by the end. Wouldn't surprise me if EMac stepped up as well.

GU69
11-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Pangos and Bell were given the reigns from day one, there was not a question of who was the alpha. This will be Perks team as soon as he wants it to be. I think if he had stayed healthy last year his leadership would have become evident as the season went on.

I agree. Pangos was the team leader as a freshman and Perkins can do it too.

zag67
11-07-2015, 10:14 AM
I think that Coach is going to have to be a vocal person until that person steps up. I think that Perkins and EMC will probably be that person but more thru their play

ZagaZags
11-07-2015, 10:48 AM
Josh Perkins will be the leader on the court and Rem Bakamus will be the leader on the bench. He is the best bench guy in the NCAA.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/750/488/rembakamus_original.gif?1362449798

sage
11-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Rem Bakamus will be the leader on the bench. He is the best bench guy in the NCAA.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/750/488/rembakamus_original.gif?1362449798[/QUOTE]

He's got my vote :agreed:

Zag 77
11-07-2015, 03:09 PM
I think that Coach is going to have to be a vocal person

I don't know if he can. Short guy who never played college basketball.

ZagNative
11-07-2015, 03:15 PM
I agree. Pangos was the team leader as a freshman and Perkins can do it too.I think Kevin will be on the floor tonight, if only in spirit:

Kevin Pangos ‏@KPangos 49m49 minutes ago

The journey starts today fellas! @PKarnowski @bryan_a_alberts @KampaignSilas @Iam_J3
Kevin Pangos ‏@KPangos 53m53 minutes ago

The journey starts today fellas! @RemFifteen @kwiltj @EasyMcClellan @JoshPerk13 @KDranginis3 @dustintriano @Dsabonis11 @Ryan25EdwardsDang! I sure miss him, Gary, and B-Wes!

roxdoc
11-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Motivational leadership is not one of the coaches strengths. It falls to the players to fill that role and fire people up. Won't matter tonight but will in the tougher games and if we have a lot of wins under our belt (as we all expect!).