PDA

View Full Version : What are you hoping to see against E. Oregon?

hooter73
11-06-2015, 12:14 PM
It's a little early but Im excited...

Im sure most peoples answer is the big 3 together, how it works and all that. Not for me though, Im going to be very guard oriented - all of them from KD, EMac, and Perkins to Melson and Alberts. Also hoping to see something good from Edwards who should be in with the opposition level and Shem still working back into good heath. I dont expect him to KO it (ha) but I hope to see something. Im not expecting him to suddenly have a 30 inch vertical or anything like that and hes always had the footwork and hands but the fight and the understanding of the game is what I'll be looking to see if they got developed in his building year.

northsidezagfan
11-06-2015, 12:32 PM
I'm just excited for a game! Besides that, I'm excited to watch our young guards. I'm looking forward to see what Alberts can bring to the table.

Kiddwell
11-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Hoping to see (1) Josh Perkins excel; (2) a studly Ryan Edwards; (3) an efficient and talented Bryan Alberts; and (4) a high-scoring Eric McClellan.

:]

ProjectMKUltra5
11-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Who starts at the 2 and 3 and then the rotation of guards through the game. My heart so desperately wants to see Melson start and get significant run out there but my head tells me that Emac will get the nod. I don't know if it's just that he's more comfortable, or healthy, I don't know but looks really good. Also curious to see just how much run Alberts gets, particularly early.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Harris
at
the

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-06-2015, 01:24 PM
I hope to see contributions from all five guards - Perkins, Melson, EMac, Dranginis, and Alberts. We know the front court will be very good. The guards are less proven as a unit.

hooter73
11-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Harris
at
the

:roll:

We know the front court will be very good.

I actually dont think the three playing together will meld or mesh.

ZagNative
11-06-2015, 01:57 PM
This article from the Gonzaga Bulletin (http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/sports/article_6011e32c-83e1-11e5-8def-9311d956eb0e.html) got me thinking.... I'm going to try to be on the lookout for who emerges as a leader on the floor, how well the players seem to communicate, and how well they execute.

Last year, GU lost two of the program’s best players and leaders in Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. The four-year starting backcourt duo were a staple for GU and replacing them is no simple task. This year’s team is still looking to figure this out.

“This team is a little bit void of leaders, so that’s probably going to have to come from me and the staff,” Coach Mark Few said. “Hopefully some of those guys that have been in those big games, Przemek (Karnowski), Kyle Dranginis, and Kyle Wiltjer, can step up and lend their voice, but that’s a challenge with this group.”

Some players are going to have to step out of their comfort zones, according to redshirt senior Dranginis.

“Some of our personalities aren’t real talkative, including myself, but we will do what needs to be done in order to win,” Dranginis said. “I think we are improving our communication day by day.”

With a young team, the Zags are experiencing growing pains in the early stages of the season.

“We were a really, really fantastic detail-oriented team last year … That’s probably as big a lesson as we need to learn right now,” Few said. “These things don’t just magically happen. There is a process to them and you have to execute the process before winning happens.”

McClellan echoed his coach’s message.

“The biggest thing is details,” he said. “We need to learn how to win with one another. Last year, it took time, but we had more depth and more experience, so the process accelerated quicker,”

DixieZag
11-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Ball movement, sharing the ball with crisp, clean, ball movement.

KStyles
11-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Jim Meehan @SRJimm 6m

GU's 'probable' starting five for exh. game with E. Oregon, according to school release: Karnowski, Wiltjer, Sabonis, Dranginis and Perkins.

I'm interested to see the rotation.

exclusivelee
11-06-2015, 02:37 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/06/d27377c9a16340a17656026aa74b71a4.jpg

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/110615aaa.html

zag buddy
11-06-2015, 02:37 PM
I like it.

gonstu
11-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Jim Meehan @SRJimm 6m

GU's 'probable' starting five for exh. game with E. Oregon, according to school release: Karnowski, Wiltjer, Sabonis, Dranginis and Perkins.

Does this mean no more speculating?

hooter73
11-06-2015, 02:56 PM
edit.

krii
11-06-2015, 03:08 PM
In the meantime first time in months PK was included in one of the leading mocks (http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft). I mean it's time to prove you're the one Przemek!

Reborn
11-06-2015, 03:11 PM
This article from the Gonzaga Bulletin (http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/sports/article_6011e32c-83e1-11e5-8def-9311d956eb0e.html) got me thinking.... I'm going to try to be on the lookout for who emerges as a leader on the floor, how well the players seem to communicate, and how well they execute.

Great find. It sounds to me like things are coming alone a lot slower than I thought. It's always good to get wome good quotes from the
Zag Coach. He helps reality settle in some. My early prognosis for the success of the team this year may take some time and some losses in order for the chemistry to settle in.....

In terms of the question asked in this thread, I have to say I probably won't be seeing the game. I don't think Yakima Charter TV will get the game. I'll try the radio. I am most interested in seeing how Perkins runs the team, and next to that who well the guards play. I pretty know what we've got in the post positions. I'm anxious to also see the trimmed down PK, but with no tv I'll have to wait awhile. I'm a big fan of Melson because I really like to see guards score points. I wish I could see how Alberts plays. I've read a lot of really great things about him over the summer. I do like 3 point Ninja Shooters, you know.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-06-2015, 03:24 PM
In terms of the question asked in this thread, I have to say I probably won't be seeing the game. I don't think Yakima Charter TV will get the game. I'll try the radio. I am most interested in seeing how Perkins runs the team, and next to that who well the guards play. I pretty know what we've got in the post positions. I'm anxious to also see the trimmed down PK, but with no tv I'll have to wait awhile. I'm a big fan of Melson because I really like to see guards score points. I wish I could see how Alberts plays. I've read a lot of really great things about him over the summer. I do like 3 point Ninja Shooters, you know.

The game should be available on thew.tv. http://www.wccsports.com/game-center/563bc783e4b0a34808629c14/

sittingon50
11-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Rooting for KD long term. He's earned it.

Came in with Pangos, Bell, Spangler & Sarbaugh.

ZAGGED OUT
11-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Just want to see Albert's and Melson both be aggressive and look comfortable. Maybe I'm expecting success out of the others, but I think these two could really be that extra element we need to stretch defenses and round out the team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zag67
11-06-2015, 03:47 PM
I would like to see good ball movement, hard pressing defense, and solid rebounding. I would like to see them moving the ball to get to the person with an open shot. This to me means Perkins, EMC, Dranginis, Alberts and Melson work to get open and also work to find the open players. On defense I would like seeing a super switching defense and not allow easy shots. l want to see our bigs dominate.

I do not want much for the first exhibition game. Go get them ZAGS.

NotoriousZ
11-06-2015, 05:18 PM
So many things to look forward to, but what I want to see most is Perkins running the show with a double double (pionts and assists).

Go Zags!

NumberCruncher
11-06-2015, 05:33 PM
The five best players.

RenoZag
11-06-2015, 06:02 PM
I want to see Sabonis break a backboard

basketballzag
11-06-2015, 06:21 PM
I want to see Sabonis break a backboard

Rem with a Triple Double or the night will be a complete disaster.

MTZag03
11-06-2015, 06:33 PM
That is a stupidly large rotation to start. I love it. I think Perkins and Dranginis could provide enough defense to compensate for Wiltjer a little out of position.

Regardless, I'm excited to see Alberts. Looks like he could be a freak. I'm also of course looking to see what we have with the new guards (yes I know Alberts is a guard as well). I'm just happy it's basketball time.

bartruff1
11-06-2015, 06:47 PM

I am with you...this is my greatest concern.....leadership....last year I was reading about running together....team building retreat at CDA....there was no doubt last year..

Zags11
11-06-2015, 06:55 PM
No injuries.

DixieZag
11-06-2015, 10:00 PM
In addition to ball movement (previously stated) I would like to see a zone defense thrown out occasionally. It seems to me we might want to utilize one down the road.

Zagger
11-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Jim Meehan @SRJimm 6m
GU's 'probable' starting five for exh. game with E. Oregon, according to school release: Karnowski, Wiltjer, Sabonis, Dranginis and Perkins.......

What I hoped for - Drano ... Few likes guys he knows & that know him. KD's got Zag experience - same w/ MtK. Those two are gonna be the potatoes - rest the gravey. For the game I hope to see the beginnings of a new Zag scoring machine. Good possessions where shooting is efficient. I also want to see a hunger for the ball on D w/ Zag blocks, rebounds & steals. It'll be rough around the edges. Just hope communication is good enough to overcome early mistakes. Lastly, I hope to see great sportsmanship on the floor and non-head shaking officiating given some of the new rules.

zagamatic
11-06-2015, 10:39 PM
Other than seeing the first bucket in live game action.........I want to see if we can force twice as many, if not more, turnovers as we commit, how well Perkins runs the team and just how athletic we are at the guard positions. If the guards can really pressure the ball on defense, then it quite simply limits the number of opportunities the opposition has to draw fouls on our bigs. Plus, more perimeter ball pressure leads to more breakaway dunks :-)

cjm720
11-06-2015, 10:51 PM
Big 3

Perks

Guard rotation-especially the senior combos KD and EMac w the young Alberts.

I'm hoping to confirm a fairly dominate defense as well.

ZagsGoZags
11-07-2015, 06:15 AM
Jim Meehan @SRJimm 6m

This. I am so happy for Kyle D. if he starts. Remember last year when B. Wesley started the first game? I think he started nearly every game for the rest of the season.
With a bunch of new players Kyle D. will be perfect for playing the system Few's way, in the midst of other guards learning it. Unless Alberts blows up, I would feel good about Kyle D. starting the whole year.

RenoZag
11-07-2015, 06:56 AM
Rem with a Triple Double or the night will be a complete disaster.

:clap:

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-07-2015, 07:09 AM
i hope to see Silas Melson and Perkins playing meaningful minutes together and showing us how dynamic a tandem they can be.

exclusivelee
11-07-2015, 08:32 AM
A snippet from Meehan's game preview:

http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2015/nov/06/gonzaga-host-to-eastern-oregon-in-mens-exhibition-/

The Zags return just two starters, Kyle Wiltjer and Przemek Karnowski, from last year’s 35-3 team that advanced to the Elite Eight, but there are a number of familiar faces in the returning cast. Domantas Sabonis, who led the team in rebounding (7.1) and field-goal percentage (66.8), logged extended minutes as a freshman. He’s listed as a probable starter with Wiltjer and Karnowski as the Zags experiment with a super-sized lineup.

Redshirt freshman Josh Perkins, who played in five games before suffering a broken jaw last season, and senior Kyle Dranginis are listed as probable starters. Coach Mark Few has said the starting five and guard rotation is subject to change from game to game, if not half to half.

Returners Silas Melson and Eric McClellan should be in the mix in the backcourt, along with wing Bryan Alberts, who redshirted last season. Center Ryan Edwards, who redshirted last season after seeing limited minutes two years ago, is the fourth big.

Rangerzag
11-07-2015, 09:30 AM
I want to see Shem in good condition after the pneumonia bout.

I will be happy with reasonable progress but really hope for him to be comfortable by the Pitt game the thirteenth.

zag67
11-07-2015, 11:08 AM
For the big 3s on offense, I want to see where they play. I can see Shem (feeling well) at the high post with Sabonis down low and KW playing outside. Then how they set screens and move from place to place on the court. Then on defense, do we play zone with the big 3 in the game. Also will there be times when we only have 1 big and have a small pressing team on the court

gueastcoast
11-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Look at that lineup, as a friend once said long ago in an entirely different context: "those are some tall dudes"

Zag4Hire
11-07-2015, 01:23 PM
Pretty much a combination of what others have said but my shopping list has:

1) No injuries; 2) Win preferably by 20+; 3) Return to form by PK, KW, DS, & Drangs (I wouldn't be surprised if Sabs dialed up a new move in the off-season); 4) A warm K2 welcome for newcomers; 5) E-Mac, Melson, and Perk putting backcourt concerns to bed; 6) Free Wendy's!

jbslicer
11-07-2015, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=Zag4Hire;1142852]Pretty much a combination of what others have said but my shopping list has:

1) No injuries; 2) Win preferably by 20+; 3) Return to form by PK, KW, DS, & Drangs (I wouldn't be surprised if Sabs dialed up a new move in the off-season); 4) A warm K2 welcome for newcomers; 5) E-Mac, Melson, and Perk putting backcourt concerns to bed; 6) Free Wendy's![/QUOTE
Last year it was free Taco Bell.

basketballzag
11-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Word on the street is that Rem is going to unveil some new super secret moves tonight that haven't been scene anywhere before. He worked all off season so I'm looking forward to the Triple Double.

raise the zag
11-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Not going to be able to hold back McClellan for long tho...

Can drive on anyone. A ton of experience. And is an excellent ballhandler. Inconsistent perimeter shooter, borderline subpar, yet his defense, penetration, & experience would/could be the perfect compliment alongside Perkins.

Birddog
11-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Something like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hF5WkX322E

Corky
11-07-2015, 05:56 PM
Heister's voice box torn out of him and thrown in the river.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seacatfan
11-07-2015, 07:10 PM
No injuries.

so much for that--Sabonis went out after a hard fall, appeared to injure his back and maybe other body parts as well