PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Power Rankings - Zags at #11

zagfan24
11-05-2015, 07:08 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13925326/maryland-edges-north-carolina-power-rankings

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13976324/no-11-gonzaga-bulldogs

"It has been 18 years since Gonzaga reached an Elite Eight. The worst case is if it's 19."

Bilas didn't do his homework re: the Elight 8...thought he would have remembered who his alma mater played last year.

Kiddwell
11-05-2015, 07:18 AM
Jay Bilas doesn't know the Zags went to the Elite Eight last year?* :mad:

:[

*His Best Case/Worst Case section

raise the zag
11-05-2015, 07:30 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13925326/maryland-edges-north-carolina-power-rankings

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13976324/no-11-gonzaga-bulldogs

"It has been 18 years since Gonzaga reached an Elite Eight. The worst case is if it's 19."

Jay Bilas doesn't know the Zags went to the Elite Eight last year?* :mad:

Honestly, that type of factual error is borderline libel on Bilas' part.

Potential recruits read these articles, and while I'm confident a Zag recruit is aware we advanced to the E8, its disheartening to read on an official ESPN preview.

Reading that quote lit a fire within and pretty frustrating given how much pride we take in this accomplishment.

Zags get the "Sweet 16 ceiling" monkey off our back and Bilas writes that? Punch in the gut. Only hope is ESPN corrects this significant error.

strikenowhere
11-05-2015, 07:34 AM

Potential recruits read these articles, and while I'm confident a Zag recruit is aware we advanced to the E8, its disheartening to read on an official ESPN preview.

Reading that quote lit a fire within and pretty frustrating given how much pride we take in this accomplishment.

Zags get the "Sweet 16 ceiling" monkey off our back and Bilas writes that? Punch in the gut. Only hope is ESPN corrects this significant error.

Bilas also needs to work on his math apparently - as 19 years ago would put the zags in the Elite 8 in '96?

titopoet
11-05-2015, 07:44 AM

Nah, Recruits follow the sport and they will remember the regional final last year.

DixieZag
11-05-2015, 08:02 AM
Honestly, that type of factual error is borderline libel on Bilas' part..

Libel on his part and reckless on ESPN's fact checker's/editor's part.

That really is hard to believe. Perhaps we should question the academic rigor of his alma mater?

gu03alum
11-05-2015, 08:12 AM

Bilas didn't do his homework re: the Elight 8...thought he would have remembered who his alma mater played last year.

Now that ESPN killed Grantland I put it in the same category as Bleacher Report.

Coach Crazy
11-05-2015, 09:12 AM

It's because Gonzaga was everyone's favorite guest at the country club, but now that we're applying for membership, they don't want to let their "homely" friend get too close to the front gates of the compound. It feels good to be slighted, disliked, and even hated. At this level, it means you are doing something right.

BULLDOG#1
11-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Am I the only one that feels bugged that Wichita State is ranked above the zags?

zagfan24
11-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Ha. They changed it now :lmao:

Kiddwell
11-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Am I the only one that feels bugged that Wichita State is ranked above the zags?

No.

jazzdelmar
11-05-2015, 12:21 PM
It's because Gonzaga was everyone's favorite guest at the country club, but now that we're applying for membership, they don't want to let their "homely" friend get too close to the front gates of the compound. It feels good to be slighted, disliked, and even hated. At this level, it means you are doing something right.

Excellent point, . Zags no longer the cuddly program that never fails to fail in the post season. Truth is, Zags are already inside the kingdom. They are top ten program now. Bilious is a phony and has been from day one.

Coach Crazy
11-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Excellent point, Craze. Wait til they get wind of the HBO star treatment. Zags no longer the cuddly program that never fails to fail in the post season. Truth is, Zags are already inside the kingdom. They are top ten program now. Bilious is a phony and has been from day one.

I wouldn't have been able to buy into this a few years ago, but after seeing how exponential the growth has been in recruiting progress (it's exceeding even what I was realistically thinking would happen short of hope), I don't think you can make a strong case against that statement.

Coach Crazy
11-05-2015, 01:39 PM

Yes, and no. There was a time when it wasn't cool to diss the Zags. Then, they started to fall short of some expectations (though unnecessary the expectations were) and there was a sliver of daylight for some criticism. But everything seemed to level off on it being cool to talk up the Zags, even though they would fall short. But too seriously, and not too high. Odd darling syndrome.

At some point, isn't going to be cool to put the Zags too low. So yes, I am annoyed, but we are headed in a different direction than Wichita State, Butler, and Iowa State.

seacatfan
11-05-2015, 03:07 PM
I think most of the publicity for Wichita St. is because of Sr. guards VanVleet and Baker, who are certainly proven commodities. The Shockers should be good, but I'd definitely take GU's roster over their's this year and in the coming years.

Billfish'80
11-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Ha. They changed it now :lmao:

I noticed the same thing when I tried to read it this morning! No mention of anything re. the time since E-8 in the "worst case" scenario now. Their worst case is we only win 30 games this year. Maybe it was the comparison to BR? I wonder how much flack Jay took from the ESPN Editors for his lapse of memory? Anyone think he'll have the ****s to apologize to us, or just act like it never happened.:o