PDA

View Full Version : A couple of articles on Yahoo about the Zags

23dpg
11-04-2015, 09:21 AM
http://es.sports.yahoo.com/noticias/guard-situation-unsettled-no-9-gonzaga-front-court-172427509--ncaab.html

http://es.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/west-coast-bias--opposing-coaches-assess-five-of-this-year-s-top-teams-172713525.html

THE COUNTDOWN: POTENTIAL BREAKOUT PLAYERS

5. Josh Perkins, G, Gonzaga: Until a fractured jaw ended his freshman season early last November, Perkins was showing promise as Kevin Pangos’ protégé. The former top 50 recruit scored 13 points against St. Joseph’s and dished out six assists against Sacramento State, showcasing a quick first step to the rim, impressive court vision and a flair for jaw-dropping passes. With Pangos having graduated last spring, it’s time for the understudy to find out if he’s ready for a leading role. Perkins should start at point guard and play heavy minutes if he can take care of the ball, avoid foul trouble and feed Gonzaga’s trio of talented big men in positions where they like to score. Someday this may be Perkins’ team, however, this season Mark Few only needs him to be steady rather than spectacular.

Other players on the countdown:
3. Reid Travis
1. Malik Pope

sittingon50
11-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Both good reads. Thanks dpg.

hooter73
11-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Travis and Pope I'll admit to following but with a disinterested respect for our former recruits. Not because they didnt choose us, but because they seem to have waned from where they were at one point... imo of course.

jazzdelmar
11-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Travis and Pope I'll admit to following but with a disinterested respect for our former recruits. Not because they didnt choose us, but because they seem to have waned from where they were at one point... imo of course.

They sure have. As preps they were top of the heap. Weren't they both five stars? Pope has been injured and plays in a desultory offense while Travis is a system player in a middling program. Happy we didn't get MP but Travis would play at GU, sort of a poor man's Spangler.

23dpg
11-04-2015, 11:07 AM
I know they've both been injured. I've seen Reid play a little bit when he came back and I think he will be a very good NCAA player. I haven't seen much of Pope. He probably has had a longer road back.

Worthington
11-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Pope is considered a lottery pick by many. Travis is going to be dominant in time, but his upside is somewhat limited. They didn't take the NCAA by storm their freshman seasons, but they're on this breakout list for a reason. I wouldn't say they've waned at all

zagsfanforlife
11-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Pope is considered a lottery pick by many. Travis is going to be dominant in time, but his upside is somewhat limited. They didn't take the NCAA by storm their freshman seasons, but they're on this breakout list for a reason. I wouldn't say they've waned at all

Exactly..... most everyone has Pope as a first round pick, sometimes lottery pick. If thats what "waned" means, would love to have a few more waned. FWIW, i saw him play a few times, and i agree with the first round assessment. Wasn't amazing as a freshman, but he has SKILLS.

ZAGGED OUT
11-04-2015, 01:14 PM
I don't know that we would have been the best fit for Pope after seeing him play at SDSU, but regardless of how their team performs on offense, that kid has a scary set of tools at his height. Can't see the logic in saying he has "waned".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZAGGED OUT
11-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Can't wait to watch Perkins. I think he's going to blow everyone away with his play this year. His ability to penetrate into the lane while consistently looking for the assist is better than anyone we've had in recent memory. He may not average a ton of points this year (we all know who will score most of our points) but I could easily see him in the 7-9APG range this year

maynard g krebs
11-04-2015, 03:23 PM
I could easily see him in the 7-9APG range this year

Six players averaged 7+ last yr, leader at 7.7 in 34+ minutes per. All six were in lower tier leagues except Dunn of Providence. I think all were upperclassmen as well.

Would be quite a feat. I don't see him dominating the ball enough to average that many in the Zags' offense, or averaging enough minutes in WCC games. For comparison, Pangos averaged 5.0 in 33 minutes last year; Williams-Goss averaged 5.9 in 36.8 minutes for the Huskies. So anything in that range would be pretty impressive.

SteelZag
11-04-2015, 03:33 PM
One thing Perkins has going for him is a team that will probably shoot around 50% from the field.

ZAGGED OUT
11-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Fair enough Maynard, maybe a little high. Maybe tone it back to 5-6.5ish. KP ran our offense masterfully his last two years, but with Perkins ability to penetrate I think he's going to rack up lots of dump off assists every night

NumberCruncher
11-04-2015, 04:58 PM
IMO, Perkins will pass more and shoot less than Pangos. With the extra possessions from the shorter shot clock, 7 APG is a reasonable prediction.

WallaWallaZag
11-05-2015, 06:40 AM
IMO, Perkins will pass more and shoot less than Pangos. With the extra possessions from the shorter shot clock, 7 APG is a reasonable prediction.

zag system isn't set up for one guy to rack up the assists...a lot of the offense will be run through the post this year.

DixieZag
11-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Just a general comment;

Yahoo has a couple surprisingly good sports writers, and has done some of the important work in sports media in the last few years, breaking stories, etc.

Thx for the links.

ProjectMKUltra5
11-05-2015, 08:26 AM
5 assists is the FLOOR for Josh Perkins, I'd be hella shocked If he does anything less then that. It's like everyone forgot about Jerry Meyer calling him one of the best passers he's scouted in the last 10 years and his overall game is "not far off" of two first round picks in Mudiay and Tyus Jones.

Not just the best passing point, not just the best passer in his class, ONE OF THE BEST PASSERS IN THE LAST 10 YEARS. Kid is an absolute stud

seacatfan
11-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Pangos was just a shade under 5 apg last year. I thought Pargo's best year for assists was his Sr. year but not according to some stats I just looked at, he was at 6 apg his Jr. year (regular season only it looked like). While double digit assist average is just about impossible in college, if Perkins is as good of a passer as rumored, he certainly should be capable of eclipsing the 5 or 6 per game mark.

ZAGGED OUT
11-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Our system is not conducive to one guy racking up assists, however we typically have ball handlers at all 3 guard spots. Perks will be far and away our best handler this year, McClellan is faster but won't have the same control. We'll run a lot of offense through the post obviously, but I'd bet on Perkins being our primary perimeter handler and also bet on seeing a lot of high P&R's with him

maynard g krebs
11-05-2015, 01:28 PM
5 assists is the FLOOR for Josh Perkins, I'd be hella shocked If he does anything less then that. It's like everyone forgot about Jerry Meyer calling him one of the best passers he's scouted in the last 10 years and his overall game is "not far off" of two first round picks in Mudiay and Tyus Jones.

Not just the best passing point, not just the best passer in his class, ONE OF THE BEST PASSERS IN THE LAST 10 YEARS. Kid is an absolute stud

Agree with that; I've compared him to Jason Kidd. I just think the assists will come from other players as well, which is what happens when there's good ball movement v a drive and dish pg who creates most of the offense on his own.

SWZag
11-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Great articles. Thanks for posting!

MDABE80
11-05-2015, 02:20 PM
I'll be happy if Perkins just feeds the ball and doesn't turn it over. Some his passes........."reckless" is the work that comes to mind. On the brighter side of things is that Josh could be a 10-10 guy easily. IF those passes are turned into points. I hope they do.