PDA

View Full Version : Sweet CBS Sports article on our recruiting success of late

hockeyzag
11-04-2015, 07:44 AM
Lots of great quotes from Fewie. If you weren't already excited about next year, this should do the trick.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25361673/gonzagas-recruiting-strategy-still-working-as-zags-reload-again

Waterfalls in our training room...:roll:

RenoZag
11-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Conference Championships, NCAA Tournament Wins, players in the pro ranks = Success on the recruiting and transfer trails.

Beat Pitt.

sittingon50
11-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the link, hockey.

jazzdelmar
11-04-2015, 09:27 AM
Quite the definitive article.

DixieZag
11-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Love this re NWG and Williams - this is heady stuff considering.

"They possessed all of the qualities we look for in players," Few said. "These guys have a great desire to win, a great desire to play in the NCAA Tournament, be a part of a winning team with a culture. And throughout the process they expressed that to us. They have an unbelievable, insatiable desire to develop as players. We've had some really, really good ones up here, but Nigel and Jonathan are top of the list for that."

Anyone know who he is referring to ala' Marble staircases, waterfalls in training areas and personal tvs in locker rooms? He didn't just name those off the top of his head, making it up.

SLOZag
11-04-2015, 09:33 AM
My favorite quote:

Williams-Goss and Williams III are "... possessed [with] all of the qualities we look for in players," Few said. "These guys have a great desire to win, a great desire to play in the NCAA Tournament, be a part of a winning team with a culture. And throughout the process they expressed that to us. They have an unbelievable, insatiable desire to develop as players. We've had some really, really good ones up here, but Nigel and Jonathan are top of the list for that."

:000tens:

maynard g krebs
11-04-2015, 10:14 AM
Love this re NWG and Williams - this is heady stuff considering.

Anyone know who he is referring to ala' Marble staircases, waterfalls in training areas and personal tvs in locker rooms? He didn't just name those off the top of his head, making it up.

Oregon, for one, with all the outrageous stuff paid for by Knight. Think they have a waterfall in the athletes' academic center; could be wrong about that, but I think they have computers and/or tv's in each locker at least for fb. Probably Kentucky with their 5 star hotel for the bb team. Certainly others.

strikenowhere
11-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Oregon, for one, with all the outrageous stuff paid for by Knight. Think they have a waterfall in the athletes' academic center; could be wrong about that, but I think they have computers and/or tv's in each locker at least for fb. Probably Kentucky with their 5 star hotel for the bb team. Certainly others.

If that's indeed a dig at Oregon's lavish facilities I guess we can write off Few ever leaving to coach there!

RenoZag
11-04-2015, 11:38 AM

And then there's Louisville. . .

Mr Vulture
11-04-2015, 12:23 PM
I think we can write off Coach Few leaving for anywhere, except retirement down the road, to be honest. He's had his chances to go to name programs and has not seemed to be close to it at any time. He had an opportunity to go to the Ducks just a couple years ago. I believe, he turned down opportunities with UCLA and Indiana off the top of my head also.

If that's indeed a dig at Oregon's lavish facilities I guess we can write off Few ever leaving to coach there!

strikenowhere
11-04-2015, 12:42 PM
I think we can write off Coach Few leaving for anywhere, except retirement down the road, to be honest. He's had his chances to go to name programs and has not seemed to be close to it at any time. He had an opportunity to go to the Ducks just a couple years ago. I believe, he turned down opportunities with UCLA and Indiana off the top of my head also.

Yeah I believe that is the case too; my comment was more of a joke than a legitimate worry about him!

Zagdawg
11-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Arizona and Washington come to mind also.

DixieZag
11-04-2015, 06:07 PM
At some point one would have to think it becomes a bit embarrassing, thinking of the students in a basic cubby in the library, 2 to a tiny dorm room.

I fully support decent sized stipends. And I seriously support allowing a player to profit off autographs or something else that is "his" - but I don't like such a huge chasm between regular students and athletes.

Zagceo
11-04-2015, 09:55 PM
At some point one would have to think it becomes a bit embarrassing, thinking of the students in a basic cubby in the library, 2 to a tiny dorm room.

I fully support decent sized stipends. And I seriously support allowing a player to profit off autographs or something else that is "his" - but I don't like such a huge chasm between regular students and athletes.

So you against current rules that allow athletes to become pro in one sport like baseball and come back to school and play college football?

Russell Wilson and John Elway just to name a few.

Coach Crazy
11-05-2015, 04:58 AM

Couldn't you make an argument that there is a huge chasm between academic scholarship students and non-scholarship students, though?

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-05-2015, 06:11 AM
My favorite quote:

Williams-Goss and Williams III are "... possessed [with] all of the qualities we look for in players," Few said. "These guys have a great desire to win, a great desire to play in the NCAA Tournament, be a part of a winning team with a culture. And throughout the process they expressed that to us. They have an unbelievable, insatiable desire to develop as players. We've had some really, really good ones up here, but Nigel and Jonathan are top of the list for that."

:000tens:

That exact quote jumped out at me too SloZag. Considering how hard Olynyk and Wiltjer obviously worked to improve during their redshirt seasons, not to mention a guy like Corey Violette, it is really really exciting to hear Coach Few publicly state Williams-Goss and Williams are 'top of the list' in terms of working hard to improve their games. Wow......

WallaWallaZag
11-05-2015, 06:46 AM
Couldn't you make an argument that there is a huge chasm between academic scholarship students and non-scholarship students, though?

i'm not aware of any academic scholarships that come with the "5 * Hotel" benefits that kentucky's players enjoy...

DixieZag
11-05-2015, 07:57 AM
i'm not aware of any academic scholarships that come with the "5 * Hotel" benefits that kentucky's players enjoy...

That is a good answer to his question to me. Yes, it is not the scholarships that bother me, and both athletic and academic scholarships are based on performance merit. It's a good question, Coach.

CEO - I don't know how your question relates to the point. I am for stipends, and allowing them to profit off their own personal doings (autographs, appearances), and weary of as Walla Walla well states, a "five star hotel" for Kentucky basketball players versus the dorms available to other students. I don't see how that relates to athletes playing pro baseball, or fencing or cricket or whatever and remaining eligible.

Zagger
11-05-2015, 02:22 PM
Pretty darn positive stuff, very encouraging, future is bright ...... I so can't wait to see the guys on Saturday! The buzz & talk is good but - gotta see the Zags in action! I'm sure they're all good but how well can they mesh? How well can they communicate? How good is their D and how deep is their desire? We may not see TOO much on Saturday against EO. It may take a more difficult contest (on the road against a top 25 team). You can bet the WCC teams are going to bring it. They are NOT going to want the Zags to make them look like candy arse players. Saturday can't come soon enough! Go Zags!

MickMick
11-06-2015, 04:23 AM
On paper, the best recruiting class in GU history. Of course we can't really pass accurate assessment until they have completed their GU career.

I have a hunch that the accolades are warranted.