PDA

View Full Version : Zags No. 9 AP Preseason Poll

ZagNative
11-02-2015, 10:40 AM
From GoZags.com:

Nov. 2, 2015

Complete AP Top 25 Preseason Poll (http://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll)

SPOKANE, Wash. – The Gonzaga men’s basketball team was ranked No. 9 in Associated Press Top 25 preseason poll released Monday.

It marks Gonzaga’s 13th appearance in the AP preseason poll, and second-highest preseason AP ranking in program history. GU was eighth to start the 2005-06 season. It is also the fourth preseason AP top- 10 ranking for the Zags – 8th in 2005-06; 10th in 2003-04; 10th in 2008-09.

Mike83814
11-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Let the "weak conference/who have they played" trolling begin!

thespywhozaggedme
11-02-2015, 11:20 AM
That really doesn't happen much anymore, cbb is a lot different than cfb.

RenoZag
11-02-2015, 11:52 AM

You should read the comments section on ESPN sometime. . .the kind of trolling Mike3814 referred to happens all the time.

Zag365
11-03-2015, 08:39 AM
I couldn't care less about the polls and whether we are ranked fairly. Too much subjectivity. The only value is, when we are in the Top 25, our game always gets reported in the banner or ticker of major sports media. Usually a story or some video link as well. Keeps GU in the national consciousness (and should help recruiting). And saves me from having to drill down on "scores" to see how Zags did when I'm not able to watch/listen to gaem. Otherwise, polls could disappear and I wouldn't miss them.

#1bulldogfan
11-03-2015, 09:02 AM
This comes up every year with the advent of the poles. So this year I will be the one to reiterate.

I agree with the premise, however, I like them. My choice.

The poles are looked by millions of people and talked about on sports shows and paid attention to by players and coaches. The more publicity you get helps with recruiting and draws more interest by the public. The publicity results in more games on ESPN, which helps with more money for GU. And so the world turns! It all helps.

So yea for the poles.

TexasZagFan
11-03-2015, 09:34 AM

There won't be any of that coming from the Big 12! :lmao:

jchocolate99
11-03-2015, 09:37 AM
This comes up every year with the advent of the poles. So this year I will be the one to reiterate.

The poles are looked by millions of people and talked about on sports shows and paid attention to by players and coaches. The more publicity you get helps with recruiting and draws more interest by the public. The publicity results in more games on ESPN, which helps with more money for GU. And so the world turns! It all helps.

So yea for the poles.

^^^ this x100... cracks me up when I keep seeing fans dismiss the polls talking about how they don't matter and they are meaningless blah blah blah... THEY DO MATTER!!! Like Bulldogfan stated it is about perception and advertising and the more GU is in the Polls and higher in the polls it's better for GU. High ranked teams get primetime games and coverage... ranked teams get talked about in the media which keeps the Zag name in the minds of fans plus potential and future recruits... If you don't want to pay attention to the polls fine to each their own but lets not act like these Pre-season and mid-season polls are not important and meaningful especially to a program like GU

ProjectMKUltra5
11-03-2015, 09:51 AM
^^^ this x100... cracks me up when I keep seeing fans dismiss the polls talking about how they don't matter and they are meaningless blah blah blah... THEY DO MATTER!!! Like Bulldogfan stated it is about perception and advertising and the more GU is in the Polls and higher in the polls it's better for GU. High ranked teams get primetime games and coverage... ranked teams get talked about in the media which keeps the Zag name in the minds of fans plus potential and future recruits... If you don't want to pay attention to the polls fine to each their own but lets not act like these Pre-season and mid-season polls are not important and meaningful especially to a program like GU

+1

I only wish they'd stop doing preseason polls and wait 4 or 5 games til they do the first polls. It would make the whole thing much more accurate imo

Robzagnut
11-03-2015, 11:24 AM

And most importantly, if a high ranked team loses they fall within the Top 25 and still remain there, which makes it easier to climb back up in the polls and receive a higher seed come NCAA tourney time. If a team ranked around #30 wins and wins and finally gets to #24, but loses they fall out of the Top 25 and it gets harder for them to get into the Top 25 again.

So, it is incredible to start the season at #9. If GU holds court and a couple of teams drop they're looking at a 2 seed at the worst.

tyra
11-03-2015, 09:13 PM
The only "pole" that I'm excited about is . . . named Shem.

willandi
11-04-2015, 06:58 AM

+1

TheGonzagaFactor
11-04-2015, 07:37 AM

LOL what??? Do a Twitter search for "Gonzaga" during basketball season on a Monday at noon Pacific...

Mike83814
11-04-2015, 08:19 AM
LOL what??? Do a Twitter search for "Gonzaga" during basketball season on a Monday at noon Pacific...

I actually love it. It means GU is no longer the sleepy little school in the PNW, and has grabbed the national attention.

maynard g krebs
11-04-2015, 08:51 AM
+1

I only wish they'd stop doing preseason polls and wait 4 or 5 games til they do the first polls. It would make the whole thing much more accurate imo

True but it'll never happen. Polls have entertainment value and create preseason buzz.

DixieZag
11-04-2015, 09:18 AM

So yea for the poles.

This.

No, the polls do not matter much at all.

But, they are not entirely meaningless.

They set up expectations for a team for that year and I believe teams ranked highly at the beginning of the year rise more quickly after a loss b/c of those expectations. Then, as the season moves along, polls dictate which highlights are shown that night, often ESPN will only do the top 10 teams. Highlights and top 10 exposure lends more credibility to us as a national power. I also think polls have a slight effect on the committee, and an effect on potential recruits.

They don't mean much, but I won't say they're meaningless. I like being ranked top 10 to start the year.

maynard g krebs
11-04-2015, 10:18 AM

I think having a Pole should get the Zags the pole position in the polls.