PDA

View Full Version : Few on the new guards.

23dpg
10-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Haven't seen this posted yet. From a CBS Sportsline article.

Mark Few's father-in-law was recently in town staying with the family, and one of the things he enjoys is watching old Gonzaga games that've been recorded. So one morning last week, that's exactly what he was doing. And when Few walked in the living room and glanced at the television screen he saw Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell and Byron Wesley flying around the court in what ended up being a 91-75 victory over BYU.

"We had like one turnover in the first half and six for the game," Few told me before acknowledging, yeah, there might not be too many Gonzaga games like that this season.

Why?

Because Pangos, Bell and Wesley are all gone.

So now Gonzaga is operating with a completely new backcourt.

"And we are turning the ball over so much with these guards that we have right now," Few said. "They're talented, explosivem, and they can make plays. But they don't [take care of the ball like] Pangos or Bell or even Wesley. We're missing that right now."

But ...

hooter73
10-30-2015, 12:34 PM
ugg.

Well we can rest assured that the coaches are hammering that into them every day.

hockeyzag
10-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Linky link link?

ZagNative
10-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Linky link link?http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25358408/inside-college-hoops-online-courses-continue-to-lead-to-academic-fraud

Also note the last paragraph of the piece on the Zags:

"The bigs are the real deal," Few said, and that's why the Zags are a consensus top-15 team even though they're replacing three starters. Because the bigs -- Kyle Wiltjer, Przemek Karnowski and Damantas Sabonis -- are indeed the real deal.

Wiltjer is the CBS Sports Preseason National Player of the Year.

He averaged 16.8 points per game last season.

"And he's going to score more this year," Few said.

hooter73
10-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Interesting bit about him scoring more this year. Pangos, Bell and Wesley all averaged double digits or near enough right? So call that 30 points hanging out there. We can expect PK and DS to gobble up an easy 10 more between them over their stats from last year. I think Perkins could be in that 6-8 area, heck, all four of the guards easily could (Alberts still being a wild card). My guess is we are going to see KW as the first option and a bit ammo/dikau-esque with the green light as soon as he's over the half court line. PK and DS dont take their time shooting it and I dont think the guards are going to play pass as much as we've gotten used to seeing the last few years. If the game is as fast as the rules are trying to make it, we might average 85 points per game this year. Holy cow.

maynard g krebs
10-30-2015, 03:47 PM
Perkins is gonna make some higher risk passes than Pangos did. It's just his nature. He'll turn the ball over more, but he'll also get more easy baskets for other players. It's a tradeoff, and if he gets you two extra easy baskets for each extra turnover, that's like shooting 67% on those 3 possessions. I hope Few lives with it more than is his nature and doesn't rein in Perkins too much. You don't hitch a thoroughbred to a buggy.

McClellan is still relatively new, as are all the youngsters, so it'll get better as the season goes on just based on repetitions. Bell and Pangos are a special case as 4 year starters. Only Stepp, Bouldin, Gray were in their category as guards their first year. All guys that came in with exceptionally mature games.

Bird, Jordan and Magic each led the NBA in turnovers. Magic did it 4 times.

bartruff1
10-30-2015, 04:30 PM
If there is one thing Few hates more than Power Bait, it is turnovers.

tyra
10-30-2015, 04:49 PM
I sometimes wonder if Coach is using the press comments. He could be using them to hammer home his "take care of the ball" message to the guards. He could be playing with other teams' heads, knowing his guards are coming along fine and is engaging in a little misdirection. Who knows? In any event, I'm confident enough in the guards to stand by my prediction: we will lose more games than last year and be even tougher come tourney time.

cggonzaga
10-30-2015, 05:53 PM
I hate turnovers! It's like giving the ball back.

This is like a Yogi Berra quote. Start calling them Abe-isms. I think we knew these guards weren't going to be like previous Zag guards. That's both good and bad. These guys are playmakers, great athletes and can do things previous guards weren't able to do. When you play faster however and take chances you're going to turn the ball over more. I'm sure they'll be fine.