PDA

View Full Version : Seattle event - 10.28.15

Zag365
10-29-2015, 09:29 PM
Last night. At Anthony's Shilshoe Bay. Bud Withers in attendance. Mike Roth, Tommy Lloyd, and Lisa Fortier were the speakers. Mike Roth spent quite a bit of time talking about the sports programs in general, touted a lot of the new construction on campus, recent capital improvements, etc. I think the biggest hit with the audience was when he touched on how well Gonzaga athletes are doing in the classroom and graduating. We are right up there among the best in country.

Lisa talked about the challenging schedule coming up for WBB more than anything. Gave a brief run down on the returning players. Talked about how all everyone likes to talk about is how tall the team is. Seems pretty confident going into the season.

Tommy mostly entertained with stories about working his way up from being an unpaid intern and the program working its way up to what it is today. Mentioned our edge in recruiting international players, not only because of our past success with such players but also because they fit our team first/share the ball character. Also talked about how tough it is to get a top-50 U.S. player, so our goal is to get guys from the next tier and develop them so that by the time they are juniors they can compete with the Burgerboys. Unlike prior years, there was no player-by-player mention as to how they look, what they did over the summer, and what's expected of them this season. When asked to name his starting five, he said he had a starting seven (didn't give names). Briefly referenced Shem being at 288 lbs. and looking good even though he had been hit hard with illness.

Comments that stuck out: Focus is on getting ready for March - it's never a given; would rather start slow and improve; wants to win every game, but sometimes you lose and it motivates you to improve. He indicated that this team will likely play faster but it is unclear how well that will work until the new combinations are tried out under game conditions. Stressed that each team each year has its own identity that needs to be worked out. KP and GBJ were tough, very steady, kept the team in rhythm, were extensions of the coaches. This year will take a few games to see who can handle what. Perkins is more openly demonstrative. Trying to allow him room for expression and firing up the crowd, but also working on being more careful about body lanaguage. Wiltjer will have to deal with POY publicity/pressure and other national press attention - so far, so good. Dranginis will get significant minutes, but probably coming off bench is most comfortable for him. Allows him to play at high level in stretches.

Scheduling is much tougher than people realize. Hard to work out arrangements with other top teams that fit everyone's schedule/needs. Gonzaga is fortunate to be one of maybe 10 schools that AZ and UCLA would consider doing a home-home OOC exchange with. Apparently AZ/Sean Miller is eager to continue the relationship and a four-year deal is under discussion. WSU has dropped to such a low RPI, it is hard to justify putting them on the schedule because of Gonzaga's need to put together a resume that will count for something in March with NCAA committee. Scheduling UW in short-term (aside from Battle for Atlantis) has been complicated by the fact that NWG is now with GU. We have early season tourney in Orlando next year.

We'll be pleased with what we see when national LOIs come in (although Tommy joked that, at first, pronouncing names might be tough for most people). Focus currently is on recruiting bigs.

For those who regularly read this Board, I don't think there was much you don't already know/suspect. However, a lot of this was new to the audience that was there. Others who were there can fill in stuff I may have forgotten.

RenoZag
10-29-2015, 09:41 PM
Thank you very much for the report and sharing your impressions of the evening's comments.

WallaWallaZag
10-29-2015, 09:54 PM
We'll be pleased with what we see when national LOIs come in (although Tommy joked that, at first, pronouncing names might be tough for most people). Focus currently is on recruiting bigs.

zach collins is basic english...even killian tillie is pretty straightforward...which tells me there are some surprises coming...anyone in the know care to share or even just to speculate?

seacatfan
10-29-2015, 09:54 PM
Wait...is UW threatening to pull out of restarting the series because of the NWG transfer?

ProjectMKUltra5
10-29-2015, 10:39 PM
I find it hilarious that since we've been to Elite 8 we haven't heard anything from the coaches about undervaluing March like we did in the past. Before it was all about looking at the season as a whole and not devaluing the season based on one loss. Now it's all about getting ready and being prepared for March.

I like it though, I'm glad expectations are being rased publically, though in an understated way.

jchocolate99
10-29-2015, 10:42 PM
Wait...is UW threatening to pull out of restarting the series because of the NWG transfer?

that was my thought too??

jazzdelmar
10-30-2015, 03:58 AM
Tom pretty clear with respect to KD. That's surprising, not the content of the statement but his making it. One assumes an opener opening lineup of the Big 3, Josh and Mac then. I can live with that.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-30-2015, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the summary Zag365. What I found most interesting was the comment that Zags will likely play faster this year....hard to imagine that happening when all three bigs are on the court together as it would seem a 1/2 court set plays to Zags strengths with PK, KW and Sabonis on the court.

When Dranginis comes in to play the three for stretches and PK sits, I can see Zags picking up the pace quite a bit though.

cjm720
10-30-2015, 05:25 AM

I'm wondering too.

Don't stop the WSU game!!!!

strikenowhere
10-30-2015, 05:30 AM
Last night. At Anthony's Shilshoe Bay. Bud Withers in attendance. Mike Roth, Tommy Lloyd, and Lisa Fortier were the speakers. Mike Roth spent quite a bit of time talking about the sports programs in general, touted a lot of the new construction on campus, recent capital improvements, etc. I think the biggest hit with the audience was when he touched on how well Gonzaga athletes are doing in the classroom and graduating. We are right up there among the best in country.

Lisa talked about the challenging schedule coming up for WBB more than anything. Gave a brief run down on the returning players. Talked about how all everyone likes to talk about is how tall the team is. Seems pretty confident going into the season.

Tommy mostly entertained with stories about working his way up from being an unpaid intern and the program working its way up to what it is today. Mentioned our edge in recruiting international players, not only because of our past success with such players but also because they fit our team first/share the ball character. Also talked about how tough it is to get a top-50 U.S. player, so our goal is to get guys from the next tier and develop them so that by the time they are juniors they can compete with the Burgerboys. Unlike prior years, there was no player-by-player mention as to how they look, what they did over the summer, and what's expected of them this season. When asked to name his starting five, he said he had a starting seven (didn't give names). Briefly referenced Shem being at 288 lbs. and looking good even though he had been hit hard with illness.

Comments that stuck out: Focus is on getting ready for March - it's never a given; would rather start slow and improve; wants to win every game, but sometimes you lose and it motivates you to improve. He indicated that this team will likely play faster but it is unclear how well that will work until the new combinations are tried out under game conditions. Stressed that each team each year has its own identity that needs to be worked out. KP and GBJ were tough, very steady, kept the team in rhythm, were extensions of the coaches. This year will take a few games to see who can handle what. Perkins is more openly demonstrative. Trying to allow him room for expression and firing up the crowd, but also working on being more careful about body lanaguage. Wiltjer will have to deal with POY publicity/pressure and other national press attention - so far, so good. Dranginis will get significant minutes, but probably coming off bench is most comfortable for him. Allows him to play at high level in stretches.

Scheduling is much tougher than people realize. Hard to work out arrangements with other top teams that fit everyone's schedule/needs. Gonzaga is fortunate to be one of maybe 10 schools that AZ and UCLA would consider doing a home-home OOC exchange with. Apparently AZ/Sean Miller is eager to continue the relationship and a four-year deal is under discussion. WSU has dropped to such a low RPI, it is hard to justify putting them on the schedule because of Gonzaga's need to put together a resume that will count for something in March with NCAA committee. Scheduling UW in short-term (aside from Battle for Atlantis) has been complicated by the fact that NWG is now with GU. We have early season tourney in Orlando next year.

For those who regularly read this Board, I don't think there was much you don't already know/suspect. However, a lot of this was new to the audience that was there. Others who were there can fill in stuff I may have forgotten.

For Dranginis, I guess that answers my question as to whether or not he starts as a senior.

As for WSU, couldn't the Zags drop another low RPI team, I dunno like Mt. St. Mary's or Northern Arizona? I guess though that with them, there is no return game unlike WSU.

DixieZag
10-30-2015, 05:54 AM
What a great breakdown. Thank you so much.

WSU has been disappointing, but I have to think they'll be top 100 very soon.

I would love to see a home-home with Oregon, or even Oregon State now that they seem headed the right direction.

Zag365
10-30-2015, 07:20 AM
One of the things about email is that small observations get taken out of context and get dramatically escalated if one is so inclined.

Here's what I got our of Tommy Lloyd's rambling thoughts on scheduling: [My phrasing] Scheduling for Gonzaga is largely a business, math, and strategy decision complicated by limited options imposed by time/place/opportunities with the programs you'd like to schedule. It can't be based on sentiment, emotion, or perceived tradition as much as that has an appeal. For example, he mentioned that, when he started, Gonzaga would play EWU in a home/home in the same season! The focus now, if Gonzaga wants to be taken seriously by the NCAA committee, is who did you play and how did you play in those games. So, it isn't a matter of emotionally deciding whether certain opponents should be scheduled out of tradition; it's more about making sure that the OOC schedule doesn't leave room for doubt come selection Sunday and your team is on the bubble either to get in or where you are seeded.

His comments about WSU, UW, and others were just a sentence or two in a litany of factors (a, b, c, d, e, etc.) to show how complicated it is. I think all he was trying to convey was that there is a basketball scheduling reality given where Gonzaga is coming from nowadays -- high level program but not in a football or perceived power conference. You only have so many opportuties to make your mark; so, you have to be strategic, not emotional. When it comes to WSU, a strong factor is whether, for sake of our RPI or the like, it makes sense to automatically schedule them. He implied that WSU understands the business proposition as well and would react the same way if the shoe was on the other foot. It isn't personal and isn't long-term, just the immediate reality in today's college basketball landscape. He also mentioned how Gonzaga wants to play in Seattle at least once a year but the options as to how you do that -- Battle in Seattle or SU or UW (and all of the factors with each of those decisions year-to-year) -- makes it complicated and difficult. It was in that context -- illustrating how things can happen/change that add to mix -- he mentioned NGW transfer. It was not elaborated on. It seemed intuitively obvious to me that, while the two programs are committed to playing each other starting next year, figuring out where/when has become more complicated since neither program is likely interested in a scenario where NGW playing against his former program is the focus. I mean, if I were the Zag coaches, I wouldn't want my team distracted and I wouldn't want my player subjected to all the press and hype about revenge, why did you do it, etc. Fans and sports shows might like the drama, but I don't see from a basketball perspective how it helps either team grow or be better from a season-long perspective.

hooter73
10-30-2015, 07:46 AM
Awesome report, thanks!

KD coming off from where he's comfortable makes a certain amount of sense. I Dont necessarily agree or think that the big 3 will start, but if they do I can see whoever gets the first foul of any of the bigs, KD comes in and we go back to traditional styles. I'm happy Perkins is going to be a showman. We haven't had that excitement/entertainment level from the players for a while. Pargo, KO a little... get the crowd into it, interact, engage... as long as youre doing your job on the court that is lol.

Focusing on March I get. Im not a fan of it but it makes sense, thats what the high major blue blood teams do. It goes hand in hand with dropping the WSU game... which I agree is a great thing for the local fans, but there is really no point to keep scheduling crap teams when the majority of our conference is filled with them. Lots of other teams to schedule, really liek the idea of Oregon State!

Sounds like the coaches know that the big 3 are gone and maybe Collins wont be a four year either. Im betting one or two unknown and unexpected rabbits pop out of hats for next year.

BoZarth
10-30-2015, 08:01 AM
Zag365 . . . . great breakdown.

I can already see Posters getting sideways on a couple of items you shared.

Dranginis: I may have missed Tommy saying he'll be coming off the bench. If he said that specifically I missed it. Tommy said they have 7 starters when asked about his current starting 5. When asked about Kyle he was complimentary about his overall game and his comments gave me the impression Kyle's contribution could fluctuate from game to game. Whether it's points, rebounds, defense, assists. Looking at the squad we have it wouldn't surprise me to see him come off the bench. Nothing wrong with that.

WSU: The comment was made that even Ernie Kent acknowledges the Cougs must get better. My interpretation of what Roth spoke about is GU has to look out for GU. Remember when GU and Eastern played a home and home. Would fans want that now? My take here . . . it comes down to what you want out of the program. Do you want the Zags to play games that you would like because of your fondness of a school or their location? Or do you want March success, high seeding, pursuit of being the best Gonzaga Basketball can be? Yes, the school can't fill their schedule with Power 5 conference powers and TOP 25 teams out of conference. That can't happen. Preparation for the season requires a game against Mount St. Mary's. This approach to scheduling is bringing an Arizona & UCLA to Spokane. Creating a schedule is hard work and is work that is done sometimes years in advance. Gonzaga hasn't stopped climbing to the top and because of that tough scheduling decisions must be made.

As for UW, the NWG comment didn't make sense to me. Maybe that can be explained further on here. I trust Roth and the school are making decisions that are best for the program.

Fortier did a good job and Tommy was his usual self. I would've liked a more extensive breakdown of the team, the newcomers etc. The food was excellent and hopefully Anthony's is a spot they return to in the future.

It's good to be a Zag!!!!

GoZags
10-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Zag365 . . . . great breakdown.

I can already see Posters getting sideways on a couple of items you shared.

Dranginis: I may have missed Tommy saying he'll be coming off the bench. If he said that specifically I missed it. Tommy said they have 7 starters when asked about his current starting 5. When asked about Kyle he was complimentary about his overall game and his comments gave me the impression Kyle's contribution could fluctuate from game to game. Whether it's points, rebounds, defense, assists. Looking at the squad we have it wouldn't surprise me to see him come off the bench. Nothing wrong with that.

WSU: The comment was made that even Ernie Kent acknowledges the Cougs must get better. My interpretation of what Roth spoke about is GU has to look out for GU. Remember when GU and Eastern played a home and home. Would fans want that now? My take here . . . it comes down to what you want out of the program. Do you want the Zags to play games that you would like because of your fondness of a school or their location? Or do you want March success, high seeding, pursuit of being the best Gonzaga Basketball can be? Yes, the school can't fill their schedule with Power 5 conference powers and TOP 25 teams out of conference. That can't happen. Preparation for the season requires a game against Mount St. Mary's. This approach to scheduling is bringing an Arizona & UCLA to Spokane. Creating a schedule is hard work and is work that is done sometimes years in advance. Gonzaga hasn't stopped climbing to the top and because of that tough scheduling decisions must be made.

As for UW, the NWG comment didn't make sense to me. Maybe that can be explained further on here. I trust Roth and the school are making decisions that are best for the program.

Fortier did a good job and Tommy was his usual self. I would've liked a more extensive breakdown of the team, the newcomers etc. The food was excellent and hopefully Anthony's is a spot they return to in the future.

It's good to be a Zag!!!!

I do not believe you have to worry vis a vis a "return" to Anthony's.

It's been Seattle's "go to" place for awhile ... i.e. I've been to things there with Fr. Spitzer and Thayne , etc.

Although I am feeling MUCH better after my recent medical "hiccup", I still wasn't able to attend the other night. However ... based on some reading between the lines on things I DID hear ... there are a "few" things that this board considers "good news" that will actually be "better".

Your last line says it all ...

"It's good to be a Zag!!!"

exclusivelee
10-30-2015, 10:04 AM
As for WSU, couldn't the Zags drop another low RPI team, I dunno like Mt. St. Mary's or Northern Arizona? I guess though that with them, there is no return game unlike WSU.

Mount St. Mary's was added to Gonzaga's schedule as a part of the Battle 4 Atlantis. If the Zags dropped that, they wouldn't have a 31-game regular season and revenue would drop without another sold out home game...

Northern Arizona returns a strong core from a squad who performed very well last year. Should be within the RPI top 150 this year

Saint Martin's on the other hand... Not a D1 school and GU supposedly couldn't find any better replacement for a home game during Finals Week after shopping around on Basketball Travelers and elsewhere for roughly 5 months...

BoZarth
10-30-2015, 10:07 AM
I do not believe you have to worry vis a vis a "return" to Anthony's.

It's been Seattle's "go to" place for awhile ... i.e. I've been to things there with Fr. Spitzer and Thayne , etc.

Although I am feeling MUCH better after my recent medical "hiccup", I still wasn't able to attend the other night. However ... based on some reading between the lines on things I DID hear ... there are a "few" things that this board considers "good news" that will actually be "better".

Your last line says it all ...

"It's good to be a Zag!!!"

I knew it was a good spot when I walked into the same room my wife and I had our rehearsal dinner in many years ago.

CDC84
10-30-2015, 10:19 AM
Apparently AZ/Sean Miller is eager to continue the relationship and a four-year deal is under discussion.

This is great news. Would love to see this indefinitely.

cjm720
10-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Seems like we have a mystery recruit

sittingon50
10-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Mount St. Mary's was added to Gonzaga's schedule as a part of the Battle 4 Atlantis. If the Zags dropped that, they wouldn't have a 31-game regular season and revenue would drop without another sold out home game...

Northern Arizona returns a strong core from a squad who performed very well last year. Should be within the RPI top 150 this year

Saint Martin's on the other hand... Not a D1 school and GU supposedly couldn't find any better replacement for a home game during Finals Week after shopping around on Basketball Travelers and elsewhere for roughly 5 months...

KenPom preseason RPI's (FWIW):
GU #8

Ariz #6
SMU #23
Pitt #30
UCLA #38
BYU #57
Tenn #78
Pep #90
UW #135
Mont. #142
SMC #143
WSU #152
Pac. #159
Port #172
USF #175
Mt. St. M #179
USD #188
SCU #191
N. Ariz. #206
LMU #295

madness
10-30-2015, 11:18 AM
Seems like we have a mystery recruit

Biggs McGee Jr????

Chicken Ball
10-30-2015, 11:23 AM
Biggs McGee Jr????

Or maybe, Biggs van Ghee.

Angelo Roncalli
10-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Or maybe, Biggs van Ghee.

Or, maybe, Biggs McGee-San?

Chicken Ball
10-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Or, maybe, Biggs McGee-San?

Maybe Rui Hachimura?

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1537876-jordan-brand-day-one-recap

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1538504-jordan-brand-international-standouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Swy6hv4_To

sittingon50
10-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Isn't speculation fun!!

Does this young man show up for the Pitt game?

TravelinZag
10-30-2015, 02:41 PM
KenPom preseason RPI's (FWIW):
GU #8

Ariz #6
SMU #23
Pitt #30
UCLA #38
BYU #57
Tenn #78
Pep #90
UW #135
Mont. #142
SMC #143
WSU #152
Pac. #159
Port #172
USF #175
Mt. St. M #179
USD #188
SCU #191
N. Ariz. #206
LMU #295

Eight games against teams ranked below the RPI midpoint, #176. Six of those against conference foes, plus four more WCC games vs teams barely above the midpoint (Portland & USF). Classic illustration of how badly the conference drags the Zags down. Finishing in the top four or five of many other conferences would still result in a dance ticket.

On the other hand, WSU rated well above its position in recent years; if they finish that well, or better, could save the series. As noted previously, great job by the schedulers. Where they had some control, the delivered well!

Go Zags. FF or better!!

MDABE80
10-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Maybe Rui Hachimura?

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1537876-jordan-brand-day-one-recap

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1538504-jordan-brand-international-standouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Swy6hv4_To

THAT should be our guy!

mgadfly
10-30-2015, 03:13 PM
I find it hilarious that since we've been to Elite 8 we haven't heard anything from the coaches about undervaluing March like we did in the past. Before it was all about looking at the season as a whole and not devaluing the season based on one loss. Now it's all about getting ready and being prepared for March.

I like it though, I'm glad expectations are being rased publically, though in an understated way.

I think Few has been consistent in his statements about the value of March games (they are incredibly valuable and always have been, but it's "ignorant" to judge an entire season by a single game. From the USA Today article three days ago:

“When I hear people talk outside of our organization and say, ‘Hey, Gonzaga hasn’t broken through,’ it’s like, ‘If you’re not involved with the process there’s a lot of ignorance with that statement,’” Few says. “The NCAA tournament isn’t a seven-game series. It’s one bad night and you’re out. So we try to build the pieces to position ourselves to win those important games. Last year, we reached the Elite Eight. We were in position to go to the Final Four. We lost to the national champs. What more do you want?”

Every year the team works at putting themselves in the position to win the league, to make the tournament, and to win games in the tournament.

MDABE80
10-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Good post 50. This league must get better. UW and WSU at least have something to add even if it's only their Pac 12 names. Honestly I had no idea how weak half our season is looking. Better win the big ones because the smaller ones don't matter much except for giving us an astounding number of "w's".

ZagsGoZags
10-30-2015, 09:42 PM
the comments about Nigel W Goss surprise me
it happens all the time in major sports, that a transfer plays against their previous team
there is even a saying that I have heard that athletes often have good games against their former teams.
the only way I can grasp that the suspected comments might be true, is if NWG himself asked for this, or if Chicken Romar tried to demand it.
look at baseball, football, seahawks just played against golden tate, etc

ProjectMKUltra5
10-31-2015, 11:38 AM
I think Few has been consistent in his statements about the value of March games (they are incredibly valuable and always have been, but it's "ignorant" to judge an entire season by a single game. From the USA Today article three days ago:

Every year the team works at putting themselves in the position to win the league, to make the tournament, and to win games in the tournament.

And compare that to comments he made to Gary Parrish at the start of last season

"I mean, come on. To me, [talking about a Final Four] just takes away from the whole journey. Every day is a battle in this journey. It's a long, hard battle. It's six months long, it's a grind, and you get so many various kinds of adversity. … So it just seems nuts to put all your eggs in one basket like that. It just seems crazy to me."

That's why you'll never hear Few say he has a "Final Four" team.

He doesn't speak in those terms.

Last year it was all about not putting your bags in one basket (March), now he's all about putting the team in posistion to win important games in March?

I know the team and Few has always tried to be in the right posistion to win in March, I was blasted for suggested Few cares about winning like a month ago. I'm just saying I'm glad he's verbalizing it a little bit more to the public.

Zag365
10-31-2015, 12:06 PM
Looks like 11/11 to 11/18 in NLI Day for basketball. Coming up fast.

Zagdawg
10-31-2015, 01:12 PM
Not going to see too many coaches running teams for the "love of the game" -- all coaches want to win --otherwise they are not coaches for very long.

"Every year the team works at putting themselves in the position to win the league, to make the tournament, and to win games in the tournament."

Agree with mgadfly--- don't see Few changing the way things are done -- our own interpretations may reinforce what we think-- but that is on us not on Few.

Go Zags