PDA

View Full Version : OT: John Stockton joins Montana State as assistant WBB coach

ZaGranny
10-27-2015, 09:00 AM
Bobcat Athletics ‏@msubobcats 23m23 minutes ago
NBA Hall of Famer John Stockton Joins Montana State Women’s Basketball Staff http://bit.ly/1k7kN2M

Lots of info at the link.

ZaGranny

kitzbuel
10-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Bobcat Athletics ‏@msubobcats 23m23 minutes ago
NBA Hall of Famer John Stockton Joins Montana State Women’s Basketball Staff http://bit.ly/1k7kN2M

Lots of info at the link.

ZaGranny

That's a bit of a commute!

John is slowly but surely moving up in coaching circles. I am sure he could go much further much faster, but he seems to be content moving along with his kids. It looks like a good win for all.

Zag 77
10-27-2015, 09:11 AM
John has been an assistant for the G-Prep girls while his daughters were there. His freshman son Sam is at G-Prep. Lots of people figured he would move over to assist boys basketball. I would still bet that will happen in the future.

A few road trips in the dead of winter from Spokane to Bozeman might change his mind.

hooter73
10-27-2015, 09:21 AM
For how much he likes to be at his kids events that is a heck of an out of state commitment!

exclusivelee
10-27-2015, 10:15 AM
It's a shame Gonzaga couldn't have negotiated a way for John to join the men's or women's staff and have him stay home. His youngest daughter Laura is now a freshman for the Lady Zags

maynard g krebs
10-27-2015, 10:21 AM
A few road trips in the dead of winter from Spokane to Bozeman might change his mind.

I'd imagine he can afford to charter a little Cessna whenever he feels like it.

Dogtownkid
10-27-2015, 10:54 AM
I'll take him! I'll take him! I learned to fly on Cessnas.

webspinnre
10-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Interesting. How will this affect his previously regular attendance at our home games?

Bouldin4Prez
10-27-2015, 08:50 PM
Interesting. How will this affect his previously regular attendance at our home games?

It will be a lot lower.

Argentum
10-28-2015, 12:29 PM
I have no inside knowledge whatsoever, but I'm pretty sure that this is a one year thing by John to help Lindsay have a successful senior season. He's one of the few qualified people that could easily join the coaching staff after the start of the season. The vast majority of coaches are already employed right now and not going to be free or looking to pursue new positions until spring. It's pretty unusual for an assistant to bail during the season (let alone your head assistant) and considering that the remaining two assistants are both new to the program and very green it looks like a disastrous situation for Coach Binford just had the best possible outcome.

As for John helping out with the G-Prep boys team, he never did for his other three sons, and that appears to have worked out pretty well for all parties.

Just_An_Old_Zag
10-28-2015, 04:43 PM
such sad news oh how the mighty have fallen...ok thats a joke...props to mr stockton ...but you gotta wonder if miss stockton is going DAD YOUR EMBARRASSING ME...LOL

ZAG 4 LIFE
10-28-2015, 07:09 PM
Not a lot new here... But John did respond to my congratulatory email, and
Emphasized this is a VERY part time gig. He added that he is really going to enjoy spending
Some quality time with Lindsay during her senior year. John did not say anything
About this being a one year deal, but like most of you probably surmise... I would
Bet that it is. Those MSU girls are very fortunate... They will learn so much if they just
listen... And execute what #12 teaches.

vandalzag
10-29-2015, 09:53 AM
You know the only reason he got the job is because his daughter plays there.

RenoZag
10-29-2015, 09:58 AM

You win the internet

DixieZag
10-29-2015, 06:54 PM
I have no inside knowledge whatsoever, but I'm pretty sure that this is a one year thing by John to help Lindsay have a successful senior season. He's one of the few qualified people that could easily join the coaching staff after the start of the season. The vast majority of coaches are already employed right now and not going to be free or looking to pursue new positions until spring. It's pretty unusual for an assistant to bail during the season (let alone your head assistant) and considering that the remaining two assistants are both new to the program and very green it looks like a disastrous situation for Coach Binford just had the best possible outcome.

As for John helping out with the G-Prep boys team, he never did for his other three sons, and that appears to have worked out pretty well for all parties.

Thank you for the excellent post.

That makes sense out of an announcement that made absolutely no sense to me when I heard it. In fact, I wondered if he had a son named "John" who was the actual person involved.

Again, thx for taking the time.

sittingon50
10-29-2015, 07:26 PM

:000tens::roll::lmao:

Lewey
10-29-2015, 08:07 PM
Dan Patrick interviewed John on his show this morning. It sounded like a short time and part time job. He said he'd go over there when he can, like a couple of times a week for practice, and to games that he probably would have been going to see anyway. So not a big lifestyle change.

Did you have to ask your daughters permission? Didn't ask permission, but we sure talked a lot about it. After kids go to college, they seem to like mom and dad around a little more.

A lot of other general subjects, talking about the difference between women's and men's games, how his kids play the game, and what his kids know about or ask about his playing career. On that last subject, he said his older kids grew up with it, so they know all about it. They know Michael Jordan, and would go up and talk to him like he was a neighbor. His younger son Sam was just a baby. His friends sometimes ask questions, but they think he's a better soccer coach than anything.

Good interview, link to his podcast page below. Not sure how to link to the specific podcast, so if you look at this much later, it's the Dan Patrick show, hour 2 on 10/29

Starts at 12:20

http://www.danpatrick.com/dp-podcasts/

DixieZag
10-30-2015, 04:46 AM
His friends sometimes ask questions, but they think he's a better soccer coach than anything.http://www.danpatrick.com/dp-podcasts/

For the longest time, every time they asked Gretzky about coaching, he'd say he already had a coaching job and he was referring to his kids little league teams.

hooter73
10-30-2015, 08:45 AM

Ha!